Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
The End!

For the Freedom of Fodlan:

538 13 11
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Dimitri:

They destroyed their own city.

Dimitri had closed his eye, unable to watch as the beams of light fell down onto what remained of Shambhala.

They had narrowly escaped from it as the city crumpled around them, Dimitri is certain the fear of being trapped there will haunt him. They got lucky to have made it out of there with their lives.

They were injured, yes.

But they were alive.

Dimitri looked over at all his allies, yes... Yes, they are all here. Good.

Dimitri sighed and looked down to his left side where Byleth stood her gaze was fixed on the hole in the ground.

"Beloved" Dimitri called out in a hoarse voice, Byleth broke her gaze and looked to him "It's finally over" he murmured.

Byleth was silent for a moment "Yes... It is isn't it" she said, and a small smile fell on her lips.

Dimitri wrapped an arm around her, and she winced slightly, "Ah, right. I forgot you took a hit from Thales" Dimitri murmured and let his arm fall back to his side "My apologies, beloved are you alright?" he asked "Should I call Mercedes?" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "No, Mercedes needs a break" she said firmly "I'll be fine, it was just a bit of magic is all" she added.

Dimitri frowned, "If it gets too unbearable, tell me and I will call Mercedes" he said sternly, and Byleth nodded in agreement. Dimitri had a feeling she may have been more injured than she was letting on especially since they had to push themselves hard to escape from that city, but... If Byleth said that she was fine, then he would need to trust it.

"So... What now guys?" Claude called out.

"We should probably return to Goneril territory to tell the others the news" Edelgard said "And from there... Well, we are all free to go onto our own paths" she added.

"You know Edelgard" Claude began "Linhardt and Lysithea have been making good progress on their crest studies" he said "It might be good for you to go and check it out" he added.

Edelgard was silent a moment, then she nodded her head "Yes... I think I might just do that" she murmured.

The group stood in silence for a moment, and one by one they began to leave.

This is really it.

They're finally free.

...

It wasn't long before they returned to Goneril territory.

Holst had been waiting there for them at the gate to their estate with Hilda and Hubert, making sure all of their allies were accounted for.

For the split second when Dimitri's eye met Holst's, he could have sworn he saw disappointment in his eyes, but it left as quickly as it came.

Had the circumstances been reversed, Dimitri would have felt the same so he couldn't fault him on that.

They all celebrated together one last night, come morning they would leave for the monastery and from there to Fhirdiad.

Finally.

This chapter of their lives was finally over, and they were free to do as they wished from then on.

Maybe...

Maybe the weight of the dead won't be so bad from now on.

Dimitri mulled that thought over as much as he wished for freedom from the guilt that their lives left, he knows this will not liberate him from it. Dimitri sighed and adjusted his head on the pillow.

Byleth shifted over and turned to him, "Dimitri?" she questioned quietly.

Dimitri opened his eye to see both of her blue eyes scanning his face intently, "My apologies, beloved I did not mean to wake you" Dimitri murmured.

Byleth's eyes crinkled as a smile crept on her face, "I wasn't asleep either" she said softly. One of her hands rose from under the covers and cupped his cheek "Is something wrong?" she asked quietly.

Dimitri shook his head, "No, my beloved" he said softly "I was just thinking is all" he sighed.

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, "About what?" she asked.

"If... I will bear the burden of the dead still" Dimitri said.

Byleth was silent for a moment, her thumb began to stroke his cheek ever so softly "I am sorry Dimitri" she said "I cannot give you those answers" she sighed "All I can say is that only you alone can decide whether you succumb to the weight of the dead, but... My love you have suffered enough" Byleth said softly.

Dimitri raised his left hand from under the covers and rested it on top of Byleth's hand, "Thank you my beloved" he whispered and Byleth smiled at him.

...

Sothis is definitely laughing down from the heavens down at them.

That is the conclusion that Dimitri has drawn at least.

As they prepared to leave from the monastery to Fhirdiad they were intercepted by a soldier that Holst had sent for them. It appeared that their fighting wasn't over yet.

Out of everyone and everything to emerge as a threat...

Nemesis was the last thing that Dimitri would have ever expected.

Claude and Dimitri stared dumbfound at one another as the soldier began recounting everything that Holst had told him.

"Where did this army come from?" Dimitri finally asked.

"The eastern mountains in Hrym territory" the soldier answered.

"From Shambhala" Claude said.

The soldier nodded, "That is what Lord Holst said" he replied.

"And they managed to get through him?" Dimitri asked, wanting to confirm it.

"Yes" the soldier said "Lord Holst sent a message for aid to Count Gloucester, I have no idea what has become of him but Lord Holst was injured and is in Goneril estate" he said "Lord Holst believes it is up to your army to defeat them" he added.

Claude sighed, "And why's that, don't tell me Count Gloucester isn't as strong as he used to be, he has Lorenz's assistance as well" Claude said.

"The leader of the army carries a sword with a striking resemblance to the sword of the creator" the soldier said.

"What?" Dimitri said in shock.

"And is raising flags that bear the crest of Flames" the soldier added.

"So, in other words..." Claude began but trailed off.

"Nemesis" Dimitri said.

The soldier nodded, "That is who Lord Holst believes it to be as well".

Dimitri and Claude were silent for a moment, "I see" Dimitri finally murmured "Thank you, we shall prepare immediately" he added.

The soldier nodded and went on his way.

"Freaking Nemesis?!" Claude said, "Do you think maybe Shambhala falling awoke him?" he asked.

Dimitri sighed, "It's possible" he said, "We need to alert the others, and prepare to leave as soon as possible" he added.

Claude nodded and left Dimitri alone to begin doing just that.

Dimitri stood there for a moment and sighed, it appeared that they will never be truly free of the burdens of the past...

No, he can't think that.

Once Nemesis falls.

They will be able to go upon their lives once again.

Byleth:

The King of Liberation.

Seteth's face had gone pale as he was told who had arisen from the ashes of Shambhala, but ultimately, he looked unsurprised by the news.

"We always knew one day this might happen" Seteth said quietly, "I just fear that it is not Nemesis alone" he added.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "What do you mean?" she asked.

Seteth sighed, "Well it's quite possible that you will be fighting the ten elites" he said.

Claude's eyes widened, "You mean our ancestors?" he said "How is that possible?" he asked.

"I don't know the exact details behind it, but I always knew that this was a possibility" Seteth said.

"Dammit" Claude said "So, not only did we awaken Nemesis, but a whole force behind him as well" he groaned "Great... Just great" he sighed.

Edelgard shook her head, "There is no use whining over it Claude" she said sternly "We have to fight them no matter what, if we fail to stop them who know what will become of Fodlan" she added.

Dimitri nodded, "Edelgard is right" he said.

Claude sighed, "Well obviously she is right" he said "It doesn't change my distaste on the matter" he added.

Byleth frowned, "Claude we need to focus on the matter at hand" she said "This force is coming from count Gloucester's territory, and it appears that they are coming for us" she added. "We need to come up with a plan to intercept them," Byleth concluded.

Claude nodded, "You're right" he sighed then looked at the map they had on the table.

"What about right here?" Dimitri asked and pointed at a part on the map, "Caledonian plateau" he said.

"That is very close to the monastery," Seteth said.

"What other choice is there" Edelgard said "If we choose a different location it will no doubt have to be in some town, and we cannot drag the townsfolk into this battle" she concluded.

Seteth sighed, "I know, there really is no other place for this battle to take place" he said.

"So... How exactly do we prepare to fight them?" Claude asked.

"I'm sorry but I don't have those answers" Seteth said "I doubt that it will be as it was when Seiros fought Nemesis".

Byleth didn't think so either, who knows what was the cause for the revival of Nemesis and what it did to him.

They were really jumping in without any idea.

But... After this.

They would be able to move on, Fodlan would be able to look past its bloodstained History and move forward into prosperity.

"When do we leave?" Byleth asked.

The room fell silent, and the eyes of their allies fell on Dimitri.

He was their King; they would do as he said. It took Dimitri a moment to realize this, "Ah, we will leave at once" he said "Brace yourselves everyone, we do not know the true power behind our enemies" he concluded.

And that was that.

They would leave now, Nemesis needed to be stopped and as the person who bears the same crest as him it is her responsibility to do it.

...

"Nemesis is here... And with more soldiers than expected" Claude called out.

Nemesis and his army were already lying in wait for them at Caledonian Plateau, had they anticipated their attack?

"A swamp?" Hilda said as she looked ahead at their battlefield "Is it just me or... Does it look a little odd?" she asked.

"Are those..." Dimitri began but trailed off.

"Agarthan soldiers" Edelgard finished.

"This must be what remains of them," Dimitri murmured.

Byleth watched as one of the Agarthan soldiers crossed the battlefield, trying to cut through the water in the swamp.

He stopped in his tracks then fell to the floor.

Hilda gasped, "Did you see that?" she asked with wide eyes.

"It looks like we'd better not get near that swamp... Let's try to avoid it during the fight" Claude said then turned and looked at Byleth "So, what's the plan my friend?" he asked.

"We will defeat Nemesis" Byleth replied, as she scanned the field. there he was.

Nemesis.

"I thought you'd say that" Claude sighed "And of course we will all follow you" he said then paused for a moment and looked to Dimitri "Both of you" he corrected.

Dimitri smiled, "Thank you Claude, your support is most welcomed" he said.

Claude nodded, "Just remember our enemy is a monster of legend. There is not a shred of proof that we can win, if you fear your life it's not to late to leave" he added.

Edelgard frowned at him, "Are you questioning our resolve?" she asked sternly "You should know by now better than to ask such a ridiculous question" she scolded.

Claude laughed, "Right you are, but it never hurts to give someone an opportunity to opt out" he said.

"You're an idiot, we've come too far to get scared off by a dead man" Felix said in a stern voice.

"Felix" Ingrid shouted, "Mind your manners" she said sternly "But... I share his sentiment, we may as well finish this off we owe it to Fodlan" she said.

Byleth smiled, "Thank you Ingrid, you too Felix" she said with a laugh.

"I guess someone has to make sure these two don't get themselves killed huh?" Sylvain butted in and draped an arm over both Felix and Ingrid.

Felix frowned, "Right, I somehow doubt that you will be the one saving us" he retorted.

"You wound me Felix," Sylvain said.

"I'm in" Hilda said in a serious voice "I need to get back at him for hurting my Brother" she said "I'm not going to let him get away with it!" she shouted.

Byleth and the others were taken aback by the sudden outburst of Hilda, normally she was fairly calm, loud but calm.

"Don't worry Hilda, we'll avenge Holst" Caspar said as he patted her shoulder.

"Not just Holst, but all of Fodlan" Ferdinand butted in.

Edelgard laughed, "I never thought I'd see the day that we agree, Ferdinand" she said.

"Your Majesty... I will follow you wherever" Dedue said.

Dimitri smiled, "Thank you Dedue" he said.

"And once this is all over, we'll all be able to live our lives without fear" Mercedes said "Right Emile?" she added.

Jeritza merely grunted.

"Well Claude, do you still question our resolve?" Edelgard asked.

Claude sighed, "I never questioned it, I just wanted to be sure" he said and paused for a moment to look out at the battlefield, "Well... Everyone it's finally time" he said " If we die out there, just know it's been a pleasure fighting alongside all of you" Claude concluded.

"That's morbid Claude," Dimitri said.

Byleth nodded, "Dimitri's right, plus I won't let any of you die" she said.

Claude laughed, "I'm on board with that" he said "let's all make it through this alive" he added "Let's defeat this dusty old King of liberation and put an end to this History of lies" he said. "And once we've done that, there will be nothing holding us back. And a new brighter age will begin" Claude concluded.

Dimitri nodded, "Right you are my friend" he said "We will be free from the weight of our past and be able to move forward with our lives" Dimitri said and raised his lance "For Fodlan".

For Fodlan.

...

The battle was tough.

Those who remained of the Agarthans were furious and wanted their vengeance. They failed luckily, the good triumphed over the bad.

And then there were the ten elites, they were formidable opponents since they donned major crests while most of their descendance that were present had a minor crest. Sure, it made battle difficult but... they would not fall here, not to Nemesis and his men. Once the elite soldiers they crumpled into ashes and rejoined the earth.

So, they had been dead.

Byleth wondered.

Had Rhea had this power... Could she have brought Sothis back?

No.

She can't think of that.

Claude had tried to weaken Nemesis from a distance out of his reach and it was to no avail, however once the last of the elites fell that was a different story.

"That sword... You bear the crest of Flames, just as I do" Nemesis said in a ghastly voice and lashed a sword that looked exactly like the sword of the creator... just a darker version of it.

Byleth dodged his attack, for someone who also bore the sword, he didn't seem to have such a high skill with it.

Dimitri rushed forward and lashed his lance at Nemesis.

"Feeble creature..." Nemesis growled, "Prepare to die!" he shouted and lashed the sword of the creator at Dimitri.

Dimitri took the hit but remained strong against Nemesis, Byleth cast a heal spell on him to ease the blow.

Arrows fired from behind them.

Claude.

"Yesh, this guy really packed the punch on you huh Dimitri?" Claude called out. Nemesis lashed out his blade once again and swung this time at Claude, "Woah, his blade is definitely longer than yours Byleth" he shouted as he dodged Nemesis's swing.

"So, this is the guy who hurt my brother" Hilda shouted and lunged at him swinging her Hero's relic down on Nemesis. He staggered a bit and then lashed his blade at Hilda, she took the hit but stood proud and tall after it.

Edelgard was the next one of them to attack him, Nemesis staggered back from them. Byleth raised her blade, out of the corner of her eye she'd seen her allies had done the same.

Nemesis looked up at them with a sinister grin, and Byleth lunged at him, their blades crashed against one another. And then he parries it.

Byleth staggers and Nemesis uses that opportunity to attack. She sees his foot rise nearby her head, oh sweet Sothis that's going to hurt.

But the hit never came.

An arrow whizzed past her head.

"You are a foolish child" Nemesis growled, she isn't sure if it is to her or to Claude frankly, she doesn't care.

Claude scoffed, "Tough talk from the guy who's lived too long" he said "Allow me to fix that!" he shouted.

Nemesis swung the sword of the creator at them.

Byleth and Claude dodged it with ease, yes, he most definitely wasn't as proficient in wielding the blade then she was.

Byleth then rushed forward at Nemesis swinging her sword of the creator, he raised his blade in time to stop the blow then pushed her back once again.

Nemesis raises his blade to deliver a blow, and Byleth narrowly dodges it.

"You are all pathetic weaklings!" Nemesis shouts "You lack the courage to challenge me in lone combat" he spat.

Out of the corner of her eye Byleth sees Claude drawing his bow, "Yet we have the strength to scale the walls between us" Claude shouts "To reach out our hands in friendship... so we can open our true hearts to one another!" he yelled and fired.

Byleth doesn't see where the arrow was shot.

"That's how we win!" Claude yells and runs forward at Nemesis.

Nemesis hits him and Claude goes tumbling back.

Byleth sees their allies rushing to his aid, so she runs forward at Nemesis then begins to swing and so does Nemesis.

Byleth was not expecting an arrow to run down from the sky and to pierce his arm.

Nemesis staggers and his sword breaks as Byleth's blade strikes him in the chest. Nemesis lets out a loud shout as he falls to the floor.

And just like the elites Nemesis became ashes.

Byleth stands there for a moment.

It's over.

It's finally over.

Byleth sheathes the sword of the creator then turns to her allies.

"Future Historians will refer to this day as the new dawn of Fodlan" Claude called out, he was being held up by Dimitri and Edelgard. Claude was injured, but he would survive "Of that, I have no doubt" he added.

Byleth smiled and walked over to them, "You know Claude, that arrow was a little too close to hitting me than I would have liked it to be," she said.

Claude shrugged, "I had to take a risk, I knew you would be able to do it" he added.

Dimitri grunted, "I think you take far too many risks for my liking" he retorted.

"Oh, calm down, Your Majesty, Byleth is alive and well" Claude said, and Dimitri let go of Claude's arm.

Byleth laughed and cast a heal spell on Claude.

"At last Fodlan is free" Edelgard said softly "I'll admit, I never thought I would see this day" she added.

"Me too my friend" Byleth said softly, Dimitri walked up to her and wrapped her in a tight hug.

Claude groaned, "Oh, get a room" he called out and Edelgard dragged him away.

Byleth pressed her head into Dimitri's chest and hugged him back.

"It's finally over" Dimitri murmured into the top of her head.

Byleth pulled away and smiled, "Dimitri... I'm ready to go home" she said.

Dimitri smiled, "Me too beloved, me too" he said.

They stood there for a moment longer then began their return to the monastery.

...

Seteth stared at Byleth with a dumbfound expression on his face, "What is the meaning of this?" he asked.

"I will leave this in your hands" Byleth said softly.

The sword of the creator moved through the fabric she had wrapped it with, as she presented it to Seteth.

Seteth furrowed his eyebrows, "Why... why would you do this?" he asked.

Byleth shut her eyes for a moment, "Sothis... she means more to me than you would think" she said "I don't want her to fall into the hands of anyone who would use her for malicious purposes, and so I entrust her to you" she concluded.

Seteth was silent for a moment then took the blade, "Thank you..." he said quietly.

Byleth shook her head, "There is no need, I am merely returning her to her rightful place" she said.

"Byleth..." Flayn called out from behind Seteth, "I know we have had our differences but... please visit us sometime" she said softly.

"Goddess or not, our blood courses through your veins" Seteth said "Maybe not as strongly as it used to but, it matters not" he added.

Byleth was silent for a moment, "Thank you... Both of you" she said "I ask that you both think over Dimitri's proposition carefully, please" she added.

Seteth sighed, "I suppose it would be best for us to remain here now" he murmured.

Flayn's eyes lit up, "Oh! Brother do you truly mean it?!" she asked and Seteth nodded.

Byleth smiled, "I am glad, I'll be sure to tell Dimitri" she said and bowed her head slightly "I will visit once things calm down a bit" she added "Until then this is goodbye" she concluded and left from the entrance hall to head to the stables.

Today was the day.

Byleth and Dimitri would be returning to the Kingdom.

"Byleth" someone called out from behind her, she turned to see Ingrid.

"Hello Ingrid," Byleth said with a smile on her face.

"Ah! This is probably the last time I will be able to call you by your name, right your Majesty?" Ingrid said with a laugh.

Byleth's smile fell.

"Please don't Ingrid" Byleth said softly "Not you, not any of my friends" she said.

Ingrid smiled, "I don't think you have a choice in the matter, just as his Majesty doesn't " she said.

Damn.

She was right.

"That being said, I would like Byleth's advice before she is lost to the throes of nobility and politics" Ingrid said.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "My advice?" she said "With what?" she asked and then realization dawned upon her this must be what she had mentioned a while back ago.

Blush crept across Ingrid's face, "It's about my future..." she began "Sylvain... He um..." Ingrid began trailing off.

Byleth smiled, "Sylvain proposed to you" she said with wide eyes and Ingrid nodded, "Did you say yes?" she asked.

Ingrid shook her head, "No, I told him no" she said quietly.

Byleth's face fell, "Oh" she said "I take Sylvain must have been hurt" she said.

Ingrid was silent for a moment, "I don't know, but he asked that I think it over" she said.

Byleth nodded, "And what are you thinking?" she asked.

"I don't know truthfully" Ingrid sighed "I figured you were the best person to tell me what I should do" she added.

Byleth was silent for a moment, "I can't tell you what to do Ingrid, you have to see for yourself whether or not you love Sylvain" she said and patted Ingrid on the shoulder "

Ingrid nodded, "You're right" she sighed.

"If it's any consolation... I don't think this is just Sylvain being... Sylvain" Byleth said then smiled to Ingrid "Well, I'll see you in Fhirdiad Ingrid" she said.

Ingrid nodded, "Right... Thank you Byleth" she said then Byleth continued on to the stables.

She stopped from a distance to watch Dimitri as he was latching on the harness of his horse. A few seconds pass and he turns to her, "Beloved how long do you intend to just stand there?" he teased.

Byleth smiles and goes to him, "My apologies Dimitri" she said and pets the head of his horse.

Dimitri watches her, "Are you sure you want to ride to Fhirdiad?" Dimitri asked "We could always request a carriage" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "No, this way we'll have more time before we reach the capital" she said.

Dimitri laughed, "Trying to get out of your duties so fast?" he asked.

Byleth smiled, "Maybe" she said.

Dimitri smiled then lifted her onto his horse, "Well beloved, I think we have kept them waiting long enough" he said and climbed on behind Byleth, "What do you say, should we head home?" he asked.

Byleth leaned her head back onto Dimitri, "Yes, let's go home".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 35 5
In order to escape, Byleth made a deal with the Goddess Sothis. As a result, Jeralt was avenged but at what price did she pay? Before Dimitri's eyes...
22.3K 427 25
A transfer student, Kendall Carvalho, enrolls in the Officers Academy at Garreg Mach. She didn't know what to expect on her first day, many surprises...
1.7K 30 5
The Fall of Garrag Moch Monastery, Year 1180 had been a disaster and full of the unexpected. But lets follow a different flow in the time stream. In...
39.8K 1.6K 110
Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her beloved daughter Byleth. In a turn of event...