Miscommunication (boyxboy)

By clarecassidy

Adam Grey is a second-year university student, part-time employee at his local garage, severely sleep-deprive... More

Acknowledgements
Aesthetics
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Exciting News!
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty

Chapter Six

3.2K 190 75
By clarecassidy

~ Cole ~

Cole was in a bad mood.

He and James stepped through the entryway to the coffee shop. The cafe was crowded with students due to the bitter weather outside. Rain had started falling in the late morning and Cole had gotten caught in the downpour coming out of class.

Shaking out his hair and sliding the wet coat from his shoulders, Cole scowled at the puddle of water piling at his feet. "I hate Melbourne."

"It'll be summer before you know it," James smiled in response. He, of course, was dry and bundled in a winter coat that he took off to hang on the rack by the door. Not even a hair on his head was out of place.

Grumbling under his breath, Cole tramped toward the counter, tracking piles of leaves and slush brought in by other students over the tiled floor with muddy footprints. James followed more delicately in tow.

Most of the tables were filled with students chatting noisily over the rain but they managed to find an empty one in the corner by the window. The storm outside was worsening as grey clouds hummed with electricity above.

A waitress brought over two mugs. Steam rose from the cup and Cole wrapped his icy fingers around the ceramic appreciatively.

James checked his phone and frowned slightly. "Piper was supposed to be here ten minutes ago."

"What's the big deal? You were running late too."

"Only because you made us take the longest way around from class to the courtyard." James laughed.

"And look how that turned out," Cole scowled down at the drenched edges of his long sleeve tee.

James frowned down at his phone again. "I hope everything's okay. Maybe she got stuck in the storm?"

Cole scoffed. "She wouldn't be the first."

Just then the door blew open and Piper appeared in the entryway, hair caught in a flurry of wind. Stepping inside, she shook the leaves out of her hair and uncoiled the scarf from her neck to hang on a hook. She abandoned what seemed to be a broken umbrella in the basket by the door. She wasn't alone either.

The boy standing next to her was one Cole recognised from last week in the courtyard. His dark hair fell wildly around his head from the wind, shoes making a squelching sound on the floor as he moved. He appeared to be just as soaked as Cole had been moments ago.

Piper spotted Cole and James and began making her way over to them. The boy followed in tow.

James stood to pull out a chair and Piper sat down with a huff, tossing her gloves on the table. "What the hell is up with this weather today?"

James chuckled as he pushed her chair in gently. "I think that's the question of the day."

Piper looked down in disgust at her feet. "I can feel water in my socks. That is absolutely unacceptable. Oh," She seemed to come back to reality, looking up at James and Cole for the first time and gesturing to the boy still standing beside her, "Sorry we're late. It took a lot of bribes to drag this one all the way here. Guys, this is Adam. Adam, this is James and Cole."

The boy - Adam - had been looking down but raised his head to offer a small wave in greeting. Cole's heart stopped as green eyes met his.

Maybe the cold had just numbed their bodies to the point of no feeling because Cole suddenly lost all train of thought as he stared at the boy in front of him.

James, thankfully, seemed to have his brain still in tact. He offered a hand to Adam, who shook it gently. "Nice to meet you, Adam. I'm James. This doofus over here is Cole."

Cole lifted one finger in greeting. His brain seemed to be temporarily put on auto-pilot.

"Please, sit." James gestured to the chair before him for Adam. "Do you want a coffee? We would've waited but nothing will stop Cole from getting his dose of caffeine."

"I was cold." Cole snapped when his voice seemed to reveal itself again.

"What's your excuse in the summer?" James teased.

"I'm alright, thanks." Adam replied to James.

"Adam-" Piper started but Adam cut her a sharp look of warning. Cole wondered what that was about.

Piper ignored him. "Well, I'm freezing and I'm going to get something to drink. And you're coming with me." She stood, pulling Adam out of his seat before he could say anything. Piper turned to James and Cole with a grin. "Excuse us, we'll be right back."

Cole watched as the blue-haired girl pulled a protesting Adam toward the counter before turning to James with a frown. "Did you know Piper was bringing a friend today?"

"No," James smiled softly, "but does it matter?"

"No." Cole sunk lower into his seat.

James wasn't fooled. "What's going on with you? You're scowling harder than usual."

"I'm drenched in rainwater and can feel mud in my boots. Excuse me if I'm not Susie fucking Sunshine right now."

His best friend chuckled. "Maybe, but I know you better than that Cole. What's really going on?"

"I ran out of coffee."

"I'm being serious."

"So am I."

James sighed and looked toward the front of the shop where a queue had formed by the counter. "That Adam's a looker, isn't he?"

Cole groaned, "Please don't ever say 'looker' again." He gripped James' shoulders, looking him dead in the eye. "Listen to me, it's not too late to turn away from a life of nineteenth century housewife gossiping. Don't let the book clubs get you, man!"

James laughed and gently pried Cole's hands off his shoulders. "My question still stands."

"I don't know, man." Cole frowned in the direction of the counter. "I feel like I've seen him before."

"With Piper?"

"Weirdly, no."

"Dreams maybe?"

"You're not funny."

His friend wiggled his eyebrows at Cole. The latter pushed him away with a roll of his eyes.

Piper and her friend returned to the table. Two mugs were set down expertly on the table along with a brown bag as Piper pulled out her chair and sat. "I got a muffin too," she announced proudly.

"I'm not eating it." Adam told her.

"The hell you're not. You haven't eaten all day and that muffin cost me six bucks. Sit down and eat."

Adam, who'd remained standing, slowly pulled off his damp jacket and hung it on the back of his chair. He wore only a white, long-sleeved tee underneath. The rain had soaked right through the thin material and it clung to Adam's torso, revealing miles upon miles of snow-coloured skin. Cole averted his gaze.

Adam sat with a defeated look. He said to Piper determinedly, "I'll pay you back."

Piper waved him off and Adam frowned. Before he could say anything further, she tossed the bag in front of him. "Eat."

With a sigh, Adam opened the back and began to nibble slowly on the blueberry muffin inside. Piper nodded once, satisfied, before turning back to the table.

James struck up conversation immediately and he and Piper chatted with Cole weighing in at appropriate intervals. He gazed out the window at the campus before back to the table.

The lunch rush was dying off as students began to head off to afternoon classes. Both James and Cole had finished for the day but James was going to go to the library to work on a paper. He'd invited Cole, who'd informed him he'd rather skin all his tattoos off with a butcher knife than spend another minute on campus.

A waitress came by to collect their empty mugs. Adam hadn't finished the drink Piper bought him so his remained as the others were cleared away.

Cole didn't know what compelled him to look but somehow his gaze drifted over to the boy across the table. Adam was slowly sipping from his mug, clearly unimpressed with Piper's insistence but knowing better than to argue.

Cole was subtle but he didn't have to be. Adam had turned his head to look out the window. His eyelashes were long and cast shadows over porcelain cheeks. He had high cheekbones and a smooth jaw structure. Cole would've likened him to an angel if Adam wasn't frowning, as if his mind was a million miles away from here. His long fingers were gripped tightly around the mug like he was on edge.

Rain was still pouring outside. The heating was on inside the coffee shop but Cole didn't miss the goosebumps lining Adam's pale skin. With his jacket dripping water on the floor and t-shirt only just beginning to dry, the boy was shivering. Cole frowned.

"What's your major?" Cole asked.

The table fell quiet. James looked over at Cole in surprise. Piper had an unreadable expression on her face.

It took Adam a moment to realise he was being spoken to. When he did, he looked up with wide eyes. "Me?"

"Well you can't just be here for your looks." Cole propped his elbow on the table and rested his chin in his palm. "What are you studying?"

Adam swallowed slowly before answering. "Bioengineering."

"Do you like it?"

The other boy shrugged. "It's alright."

"Adam's a science nerd," Piper explained, looking at him fondly, "has been since high school."

"The human body is interesting." Adam mumbled. "There's a lot to learn about it."

"You guys went to high school together?" James asked Piper, who nodded.

"We met in our second year. I found him asleep in the library one afternoon after school. Just full on conked out on top of a history textbook."

Adam blushed and dropped his gaze. Cole watched pink bleed into cheeks the colour of snow.

"I used to spend most afternoons after school in the library too," James cut in with a kind smile. "Cole used to make fun of me every time he had to drag me out to go home."

Cole groaned, rolling his head back. "That's because you used to turn off your phone when you studied. Your mum would ring me just so I could tell you to get your ass home for dinner every night."

James laughed nervously as Piper snickered. "Not one of my best habits, I'll admit."

"Understatement of the century."

"What about you?" James looked to Adam. "How did your mum react every time you came home late after studying so long?"

The chair squealed on the floor as Adam pushed it back and stood hurriedly. "I've gotta go. Work."

Piper frowned and checked her phone, "It's only-"

"Thanks for the coffee. The next one is on me." Adam swooped down and kissed Piper on the cheek. He stood, shrugging on his damp jacket and slinging his backpack over one shoulder.

"It was nice to meet you, Adam." James said. "Sorry you have to leave so soon. Perhaps we can meet up another time?"

"Yeah, sure." Adam was rummaging through his backpack. He pulled out a set of keys before nodding at James. "It was nice to meet you too, and-" He looked to Cole.

"Cole." The raven-haired boy filled in, smirking at him.

Adam blushed again, nodding to himself. "Right, sorry. Nice to meet you guys. I'll see you around."

"I'll ring you later." Piper called after him as Adam shrugged his coat on by the door and stepped outside. Cole watched as he disappeared down the sidewalk and out of sight.

James looked to Piper. "He seems nice."

"Adam?" Piper asked. "He's a total sweetheart. He only seems quiet before you get to know him."

"You guys seem close. Are you...?"

Cole didn't miss the way his friend's shoulders dropped when Piper shook her head. "No, we never dated. Adam is my best friend. It's like if you guys dated." She gestured between the two boys.

Cole grinned and slung an arm over James' shoulder. "Kingpin would be so lucky."

James laughed and pushed Cole off him. "You always say I'm not your type."

"You're not." Cole made a face. "I could never date someone who irons his bow ties and only uses organic tooth paste."

"Hey! Do you know how many chemicals are in regular tooth paste?"

"Wait," Piper said, a manicured finger pointed in Cole's direction, "are you-"

"A raging ball of homosexuality?" Cole leaned back on his chair. "Yes. Yes I am. My brother likes to pretend I'm straight, so I like to pretend he doesn't exist."

"Interesting." Piper smirked. She took out her phone and started typing.

Cole didn't question it. He knew Piper was smart enough not to mess up the four glorious hours they'd spent in each other's company becoming new friends.

"So, Adam?" James continued.

Piper shrugged. "We kissed once on a dare but it felt like kissing my brother. I'm not exactly his type, you know?"

"Adam's gay?"

The blue-haired girl laughed. "Bi, not that he ever really does anything about it. He gets so caught up in school and work that I think he forgets other things exist sometimes. I wish he'd let himself relax a little. God only knows he's earned it."

"I feel that." James replied with a subtle glance at Cole.

The conversation drifted into other topics after that. Piper and James sipped coffee as they chatted about class. Cole stared out the window, tapping his ring against the rim of his empty mug with a quiet chink chink. He slipped easily into a daydream as rain fell against the window outside.

Bisexual.

How interesting.

***

***

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE

What did you guys think?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 37 12
Sage Gray was a 16 year old quiet kid who didn't talk all too much. Beautiful pale skin and jet black hair. His shiny blue eyes showed his complex em...
4.9K 433 15
"We don't have to do anything." "What if I want to?" "Do you?" "You didn't answer my question." ___ ___ ___ Chase Tanner's life has almost always bee...
30.2K 783 15
Seventeen years old Sam Adams doesn't do well with people. He prefers staying home on the weekends and staying away from parties. He has only one fri...
6.2K 821 16
[ boyxboy ] When a nameless boy finds himself torn between the comfort of his childhood and adult temptation he captures the attention of an eccentri...