invisible string ─ s. rogers

By gracehateseggnog

// green was the colour of the grass where i used to read at centennial park, i used to think i would meet so... More

invisible string
new year's eve
the library
a wedding
an afterparty
a coincidence?
not a coincidence
the big question
a date
his friends
her friends
practice
first gig
party
facetime news
sleepover
big festival
interview
he leaves
first concert
she knows
album writing
meeting again
awkward encounters
reconciliation
award
awards show
it's you?
the ending
years later

the song

3.5K 100 35
By gracehateseggnog

⎯⎯⎯

CHAPTER SEVEN
THE SONG

Our Song
Taylor Swift

⎯⎯⎯

After Daisy and Steve's beach encounter, they hadn't seen much of each other. Numbers had been exchanged, but there were no real planned hangouts, most were just coincidences.

Well, that changed.

Daisy stood in the doorframe of her bedroom, looking at her outfit through her full body-length mirror. It was her first actual hang out with Steve, so she didn't want to look too dressed up. She wore a nice yellow shirt and jeans, and since it was still February, she decided to put a nice cardigan on top, since it was cold.

They had plans to go out for a walk around New York, but Daisy grimaced as she looked at the abysmal weather outside. It was bucketing rain, and she realized the two probably wouldn't be able to take a nice walk in the brisk wind.

Her thoughts were interrupted by three knocks at the door, something Steve had mentioned he used to do in the forties' as an inside joke, so Daisy knew it was him.

She walked over to the front door of her apartment and opened the door, seeing a drenched Steve Rogers with a broken umbrella and a sheepish look plastered on his face.

"Sorry I'm late... It started pouring when I left my apartment and I didn't realize my umbrella was totally cinched." Daisy nodded, accepting the poor man's apology and letting him in.

"Don't worry about it." The woman replied, hanging his wet coat up on one of her hangers. "Although, I don't think we'll be able to go out and walk around the city. You might just have to stay here."

Steve nodded, putting his umbrella in the rack and standing awkwardly. "That's fine, as long as I don't have to get drenched again. A friend bought this shirt for me." Daisy motioned towards her couch, letting Steve sit down as she tracked to her kitchen.

"Would you like anything to drink? I've got tea, water, hot chocolate, really anything."

"Could I have a hot chocolate? I haven't actually had one since I was in the ice, actually." Daisy smiled and placed her full kettle onto her stove, flicking the heat on and waiting for it to boil.

"Do you want anything like marshmallows? I have whipped cream, cinnamon, cherries, sprinkles, anything your heart desires." Daisy asked, putting the hot chocolate mix into the bottom of two of her mugs.

"I'll just have some marshmallows and whipped cream, thanks." Steve responded, watching as she nodded in response and grabbed out a few toppings from her fridge and cupboard.

Soon enough, after a while of awkward silences, the kettle started whistling. Daisy took it off the heat and poured it into the two mugs, putting some whipped cream and marshmallows on top of one, and cinnamon with whipped cream on the other.

She sat down next to Steve and handed him his drink, taking the silence-filled time to sip on her own drink.

On the other hand, Steve took the time to admire Daisy's apartment. It was littered with tons of plants, fake and real, and to top it all off, bundles of fake candles were bunched together in groups everywhere.

Daisy, tired of the silence, decided to speak up first. "So how has your day been? I mean- other than having to walk all the way here in the rain."

"It's been okay." Steve responded, laughing a bit at her disclaimer. "Oh! Here!" He took out something from his jean pocket. It was a gorgeous sapphire necklace. "I saw it in the window and I thought of you."

Daisy's ears glowed red, shining against the natural light pouring through the windows. "Thank you so much! It's beautiful." She clipped it behind her neck, watching as it shimmered to a light purple then back to a dark blue. The formal necklace Steve had gotten her didn't match her casual outfit at all, but she still wanted to wear it.

"Do you play music?" Steve asked, looking towards the piano in the corner of her living room.

He watched as Daisy's shy face turned into a beam, it felt like light was just falling off of her cheeks. "Yes, actually! I'm working on my first few songs, actually!"

"That's really amazing." Steve exclaimed. "Can you play one for me?"

Daisy grinned, and Steve swore it was the best thing he had ever seen. They both walked up to the piano and Daisy sat down, letting Steve stand on the side of the keyboard and lean over it.

"Bare with me, I only have a verse and half of the chorus so far. This is my dream track three for if I ever make an album." Steve nodded, a goofy lop-sided grin on his face. If any of his friends in that moment saw him, they'd know that he was in love. "I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover..."

It was a love song. Daisy wrote it about who she hoped her soulmate would be. She only wondered if she had met them already, and wondered that if she hadn't, would she know when she met them? Daisy would have to know if they knew who she was, but maybe she didn't know them. Maybe they were a mutual of Gray, or Jo.

On that topic, as she sang the parts of the song that she had written down, she also thought about what gender her soulmate may be. It didn't truly matter to her, but she had suspected it was a male since the only female friend she had was Gray. She couldn't make assumptions, though.

"Wait!" Daisy exclaimed, shocking Steve a bit. He watched as she scrambled to find her pen and write something down. He peered at his pinkie, the golden soulmate string glowing brightly.

For some reason, in that moment, whilst he stood in Daisy's apartment, watching her eagerly write down lyrics and notes, he didn't really care.

Many people never found their soulmates yet fell in love, and most of those people ended up together in the end.

So right then, as he realized that he wanted to take Daisy out on a proper romantic date, he knew that even if, in the slightest chance, that she was his soulmate, he wanted to be with her.

"Okay, so here's a new lyric, and I need your opinion on it." Daisy demanded, cracking her knuckles.

Steve looked at her with a slightly tilted head. "Why me?"

"Because I trust you to be brutally honest with me if need be." She cleared her throat and coughed before gulping down her nervousness. "Can I go where you go? Can we always be this close?" Steve didn't know that that line was about him in that moment, but it was still mesmerizingly beautiful.

"That fits really well." He exclaimed, leaning against the off-white wall.

"Thanks!" Daisy replied, a big smile plastered across her face. She scanned the room for a moment, eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

"What're you-?"

"Shh!" She yelled, Steve immediately snapping his mouth shut. A few moments of silence passed, it was comfortable, but he really didn't know what Daisy was doing.

"Holy shit..." Daisy breathed, holding her pen tightly until her knuckles turned white. "I just wrote a song!"

She quickly scribbled down the rest of the lyrics and notes, Steve watching as her face contorted from confusion to excitement in a matter of seconds.

"Wow, how long have you been working on that song?" He asked, rubbing his hands against his jeans to try and warm them up. He couldn't lie, it was quite cold.

"I've had the tune in my head for a while, but I just started putting words and actual notes into it a few days ago." Steve nodded, not understanding how someone could write a whole song that fast. "Okay, here's the whole thing- We could leave the Christmas lights up until January..."

⎯⎯⎯

He says; "Baby, is something wrong?". I say "Nothing, I was just thinking about how we don't have a song.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94 2 13
Kate Pierce was running through the park as a rocket flew out of the sky. Finding a well known male beside her they start to talk. After getting back...
13.2K 194 37
I've never fallen from quite this high Falling into your ocean eyes Those ocean eyes ...
63.1K 1.7K 51
"He walked into my heart like he always belonged there, took down my walls and lit my soul on fire." - "I have completely fallen for you. Everything...
4.8K 148 26
DISCONTINUED 'Destiny leads two completely different people together so they can be there when no one else is.' In which a conflicted new Avenger re...