The Ranger And The Prince.

By BlackRoseSith

Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilder... More

Prologue.
Council of Elrond.
The First Steps.
Ice Breaker.
Home Sweet Tomb.
Last Stand of Moria.
Pass into Shadow.
A Lament For Gandalf.
Kings of Old.
Captive.
Reunion.
King of Rohan.
Life and Death.
Fall of the Dúnedain.
Calm Before the Storm.
The Storm.
Fall of the White Wizard.
Secret.
Sparring Matches.
Split of the Dimholt Road.
The Reddened White City
Unarmoured.
Eye of the Enemy.
The White Tree In Blossom.
Goodbye to the Fellowship.
The Elevenking.
Bad Terms.
Thranduil's Wrath.
White Gems.
Wedding Traditions.
Flirting and Fighting.
Pretty as a Princess.
Wedding Bells Toll.
Kisses and Candlelight.
What Comes After.
New Life.
Motherhood.
A Family to Belong To.
Going Home.
Gondor and Mirkwood.
Home At Last.
Home Siege.
Leaving the Nest.
Epilogue.

Olive Branch of Peace.

3.4K 114 25
By BlackRoseSith

I had left the day after King Dáin had given me permission to take the gems. I knew that if I lingered to long, he would change my mind and my only hope of restoring my respect from Thranduil would be lost.

I told Gimli that our adventures to the Glittering Caves and Fangorn Forest would have to wait. He didn't mind waiting as long as it took.

I thanked both him and the King once again before I set off to Mirkwood, the chest of white gems huddled in my arms. I would have stayed to explore the city but at the time, I had only one thing on my mind and that was Legolas.

I barely rested on the trip back to Mirkwood, I was too erratic to sleep. Part of me was dreading going back but the other part was anticipating it.

I knew my horse was exhausted by the time we reached the outskirts of the forest but I couldn't slow down. I knew that once the horse was back in Mirkwood, it would be looked after.

Though my journey back was actually shorter than the journey to Erebor, it somehow felt longer. It was as though the closer I got to Mirkwood, the further away I felt.

I knew that I was being watched now. If I wasn't such a skilled ranger, I wouldn't have noticed but I wasn't entirely out of practice.

Just as expected, by the time I was within a league of the city gates, the royal guard elves burst from the trees around me, their bows drawn. I didn't even flinch, nor did I reach for my weapons.

"Lady Sapphire," one of the guards said grimmly, "We were not expecting you so soon."

"I like to keep my hosts on their feet," I shrugged lazily though I was terrified that perhaps Thranduil had banished me from his Kingdom.

Thankfully, that was not the case. The guards escorted me in silence through the last of the forest. Though I tried to keep myself calm and collected, I was panicking.

Reaching the gate, I slipped off my horse and let them take it to the stables.

That left me, surrounded by guards with the chest of gems wrapped up in my black cloak. I kept my head down and looking at my feet as they led me through the city. My legs seemed to do all the work for me as I barely acknowledged the fact I was nearing the throne.

It wasn't until I was standing right in front of the throne did I finally look up. My lip trembled pathetically and my eyes brimmed with tears as I looked up at King Thranduil, sat rigidly on the throne, his cold eyes glaring down at me, fury pulsing from them. Legolas was nowhere to be seen and right now, that's all I wanted, to see him.

"And here I was thinking I had made my views clear," Thranduil spat angrily, "What are you doing here again?"

"I- I have a gift for you," I stuttered quietly, "A peace offering if you will."

"I was at peace before you barged into my Kingdom! What could you possibly offer me that would excuse you from fault?"

"I know you feel I am unworthy of your son's affection, I myself know that." I started quietly, still wondering where Legolas was, "But here's to hoping my gift might sway your mind."

With that, I timidly approached the throne, my hands trembling slightly as I handed over the chest. My eyes flickered up and watched him in anticipation as he lifted the box to his lap and clasped the latch.

As the lid opened, the light from the many chandeliers in the hall, beamed down onto the white gems, rays of silvery light falling onto Thranduil's awe struck face.

"I am sorry the dwarves stole from you, truly I am and I'm sorry that my dwarven praise reminds you of this. And I'm sorry your son was unlucky enough to fall for me, the very woman you despise." I rambled, scared and nervous for what might come next as Thranduil just stared down at the white gems in the chest.

"How did you come by these?" He asked quietly, never taking his eyes off the jewelry.

"After you threw me from your Kingdom, I made my way to Erebor. Unlike you, King Dáin values my companionship and was gracious enough to let me leave with the gems in the hopes that perhaps you might think better of me..." I trailed off, looking at my shoes.

"Legolas has missed you." He said out of the blue, sadness in his voice as I looked up into his solemn eyes, "More than I would like to admit but there is no mistaking his heart. He was inconsolable when you left."

I didn't know what to say to that. At least Thranduil wasn't shouting at me, that was a decent start. Perhaps his returned treasures had tainted his view of me after all.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"He has kept mostly to his chambers these past two months, I was starting to fear he would never face me again..." Thranduil trailed off, his eyes looking down momentarily out of shame.

"Can I see him?" I asked, my confidence gaining by the minute.

Thranduil sighed deeply but eventually he rose to his feet. He avoided my gaze as he decended the steps of his throne and began to walk off, leaving me a little confused.

"Best not keep him waiting," Thranduil called behind to me so that I could catch up with him.

I followed in silence, not sure of what to say as Thranduil led me through the city, the chest of gems still in his arms. I didn't look up until I nearly bumped into him as he had stopped right outside a door.

"He's in there," Thranduil said quietly, knocking on the door.

No answer came our way but Thranduil pushed open the door anyways. He held it open so I could enter first.

I took a step into the room and I immediately knew this must be Legolas' chamber. Like the guest bedroom I had stayed at, the bed and bedposts seem to be grown from the walls. A bookshelf stacked high with scrolls, books and ancient scripture lined the wall opposite. Various weapons were hung up on the next wall like ornaments. The bed itself wasn't made, it was scruffy.

Legolas was sat - more like curled up - on the plush sofa next to the window. His hair was out of his braids and was a little unkept. He looked like he hadn't eaten in ages and he looked pretty pale. His eyes were sad, now looking to be a greyish colour instead of his bright blue. In one hand, he held the piece of parchment I had written 'Keep the necklace' on and in the other, he held my sapphire necklace.

Perhaps elves really could die of a broken heart?

"Legolas..." I said quietly, worried by his sickly appearance.

"Sapphire?" He asked softly, his face perking up at the sound of my voice as he turned to me.

Forgetting Thranduil was still there, I quickly ran up to Legolas and threw my arms around him, hugging him tightly. Once he got over the shock and realised I wasn't a dream, He wrapped his arms around me as well and hugged me back just as tightly.

"You came back!" He smiled happily.

"Can't get rid of me that easily Princess," I chuckled, though I myself was overjoyed to see him again.

"It would seem not," Thranduil spoke up, reminding us that he was still in the room, "It seems I can hardly ignore that fact now."

"What's in the chest?" Legolas asked, his eyes - now back to their original blue - darting towards the chest in Thranduil's arms.

"Your mother's precious jewels..." Thranduil sighed, opening it for Legolas to gawp at, "Lady Sapphire brought them back, in the hopes I might accept her back."

"And have you?" Legolas asked worriedly as he stood up beside me, taking my hand.

Thranduil stood in front of us, his eyes darting from me to him. For a few moments, we just stood in silence.

"If she is the one your heart truly desires," He sighed after a while, bowing his head, "I can do nothing to stop you..."

With that, the King turned, his silver gown swaying behind him, and took his leave of us, closing the door behind him. When his footsteps died down, I turned to Legolas, a broad smile on my face.

"You look terrible," I pointed out with a chuckle.

"A charmer as ever," Legolas scoffed.

"When did you last eat something? Or got some sleep?" I asked, suddenly aware of my own fatigue and hunger.

"Well when did you last eat something? Or sleep? I see I wasn't the only one affected by our premature separation." He mused, looking over me.

"I may have skipped a meal or two..." I lied though I could feel my stomach finally catching up with me.

"Come on, we can celebrate our reunion with a full stomach," He said, smoothing down his hair and offering me his arm.

We made our way to the royal kitchens where the servants quickly prepared a table for us. It wasn't long before plates of food was brought to us which we were greatfull for.

Having been practically fasting for weeks, I didn't care much for just fruit and vegetables. Mirkwood was less fussy when it came to eating meat but I still got a few looks from the cooks when I asked for something meaty to eat.

Though Legolas was still trying to have some dignity, I practically wolfed my food down.

"Gimli sends us his love," I said as I finished nawing on a roasted chicken leg, "If it wasn't for him, I don't think I would have come back."

"It seems I now am in Gimli's debt," Legolas mused thoughtfully as he took my hand softly and entwined his fingers with mine, "I doubt I will ever be able to repay my debt to him but I shall strive to do so nonetheless."

With that, we retired for the night. I was too tired to change into a nightdress so I just dumped my weapons on Legolas' desk and flopped into his unkept bed. I felt him lay beside me and I subconsciously shifted so he was my pillow again before I closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep for the first time that month.

***

When I awoke, Legolas was still sound asleep in his clothes he had worn the day before, like me. It was around midday but I didn't want to wake him.

Careful not to wake him, I slipped out of his arms and stretched my limbs. It probably wasn't the best to sleep in day clothes but I didn't care at the time.

I needed to collect my bearings so I gathered up my weapons and made for the door.

As much as I would have loved to say asleep all day with Legolas, I just needed some time to gather my thoughts.

Only yesterday, I was just some elven ranger, but now, I didn't know what to make of myself. Now that Thranduil blessed our union, I was now courting Prince Legolas. What did that make me?

I hadn't even been paying attention to where I was walking until I found myself standing on the balcony overlooking the city.

As before, Thranduil sat at the small table, looking down at his kingdom, a glass of wine in his hands.

He noticed me and I turned to leave when he called me back.

"Sit." He gestured to the chair opposite him, the exact one I had sat in before, "I require a word with you."

Gulping, I sat myself down as yet again, Thranduil offered me a glass of wine. I took it greatfuly and wondered what he could possibly want to say to me.

"I overreacted when I found you two in the gardens that night," he admitted with a sigh, "For that, I am sorry."

"Apology accepted-" I started but the King just shook his head.

"No, of course it isn't. Your return with my treasures have brought to light many things, including my mistreatment and prejudice of you. For that, I cannot apologize enough." He sighed sadly, sipping his wine as I just sat there, unsure of what to say, "I shouldn't have turned you away from Legolas, I was just an overprotective father, paranoid for my son. When you left, I thought my son would be safe again but when he locked himself away from me, I knew I had done something wrong. Love makes you do crazy things, I know that more than others. Please accept my olive branch of peace."

With that, he held out his hand for me to take. I bowed my head and took it, accepting peace.

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts and feedback.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 214 21
She followed the dark for so long, she forgot who she was. Years after being initially captured by what Middle Earth knows them as the 'Blue Wizards'...
123K 4.6K 23
*Complete* A Lord of the Rings FanFiction A Daughters of Middle Earth Story Formerly Titled "Some Things are Meant to Endure" The only daughter o...
18.7K 615 29
(#28 Legolas green leaf) Emily and Legolas were engaged and soon to be married. As Legolas went looking for the Arkenstone Emily and King Thranduil h...
16.4K 956 41
Oғ sᴄᴀʀs, sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛs, ʟɪᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ғᴏʀʙɪᴅᴅᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ. Oғ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀᴠᴇɴ, ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀᴘᴛᴀɪɴ. Oғ ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss, ᴀɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ ғᴇᴜᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴏʏᴀʟ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ...