What Deceit Looks Like | ✓

Da lau_matthews

Cassidy Jane Edison. Las Vegas native. Con artist. Twenty-five. Ridiculously poor. Takes goods from people. M... Altro

author's note
epigraph
01: cassidy
02: cassidy
03: cassidy
04: maddox
05: cassidy
06: cassidy
07: cassidy
08: maddox
09: cassidy
10: cassidy
11: cassidy
12: Maddox
13: cassidy
14: cassidy
15: cassidy
16: maddox
17: cassidy
18: cassidy
19: cassidy
20: maddox
21: cassidy
22: cassidy
23: cassidy
24: maddox
26: cassidy
27: cassidy
28: cassidy
29: maddox
30: cassidy
31: cassidy
32: maddox
33: cassidy
34: cassidy
35: cassidy
epilogue
Book four!

25: cassidy

1K 59 1
Da lau_matthews

"Cassidy, why don't you just go talk to him? I've only been here for five minutes, and you haven't been able to take your eyes off of him." Sephine asks, causing me to tear my eyes away from him. I was making her a mocktail without alcohol since she doesn't drink, and well because she's pregnant and can't drink. These are at least more fun than water. Her hands rest on the small bump that's started to show more. Her cocktail dress is fancier than anything anyone else is wearing, but there's nothing she can do about it. Sephine and Hayes came straight from a work event.

"He could just as easily come talk to me," I reply quickly, and she gives me a look.

"Maddox is trying to give you your space. He told me what happened in Boston; he isn't going to force you to talk to him. If it makes you feel any better, he's been moping around since you got back three weeks ago."

I count to two as I measure the colorful strawberry syrup I'm pouring over her glass, "So he told you..." I don't meet her eyes as I trail off.

She rests a hand on my shoulder, "We've all done things we're not proud of in our past. I have no room to judge. Please don't be mad at him for telling me. Maddy needed to talk to someone about it, and he and Charlie still aren't speaking to each other." Sephine uses the term of endearment that I've only heard Charlie use.

I push the drink towards her, "I never meant to come between them."

She smiles sympathetically, "I know you didn't. I'm mad that Charlie took it the way she did, but it also sounds like Maddox handled the situation poorly. They don't fight often, but when they do, it doesn't go well."

"It did not go well at all. I do wish I could have told you about my history myself, but I appreciate you not holding it against me." I say, slowly pouring myself a shot of Bacardi. It doesn't matter that I'm tipsy; the muscle memory keeps my hands steady.

"It's not my place to judge, we've all been through our own shit. I should probably go find my husband though, preferably before he challenges Dean to a drinking game." She chuckles, shaking her head. "I think we both know that Dean will win that one."

I let out my own giggle and nod, "Good luck."

I throw the shot back quickly, trying not to grimace as I pour another.

"Are you sure about this?" Dean asks hesitantly, after I bring another box in.

I rest my hands on my hips, ignoring the pain from the boxes digging into my skin. "I can't live on Jupiter's couch forever. You needed a roommate, and I needed a place to live. There's nothing more to it."

He gives me a flat look, "You know there is more. Have you talked to Maddox about this?"

Truthfully, I haven't spoken to Maddox since we left Boston. I pretended to sleep the entire plane ride home before I ditched him at the airport, which I know is an immature move. I just didn't know what to say. The last thing I wanted to do was cause problems between him and Paige's family.

"I haven't, but I don't think he'll mind."

"Oh, so you don't care that I invited him over for a few drinks tonight to christen the place?" Dean asks, smirking as a curl falls in his face.

I feel my chest squeeze, but I keep my face neutral. "Not at all. I invited Jupiter and Tessa. Sephine said she'll be here at some point, they had an event tonight to attend."

"So, what I'm hearing is that we're getting drunk tonight?" He grins widely, and usually I am completely against it, but I could use a night of letting loose.

"Three bartenders? Of course." I snort, heading back towards the front door of the apartment to grab the last box. I didn't have much stuff, I've gotten used to traveling lightly. The only thing I've really held onto is my charm bracelet.

The apartment we got is nice. Not too big because it is New York, but nowhere near as small as my apartment with Noah. It's a two bedroom one bathroom, with a decent size living room and a connected kitchen. The outlook is an added bonus.

Without Noah gambling and doing the finances, I'd managed to save up a decent amount of money with all the hours I've been working. Dean seemed to have more things to fill the apartment than me, so I don't feel bad for my lack of items.

I drop the last box on my bed, feeling a sense of relief. But the relief wasn't enough to overpower the voice in the back of my head questioning what I'm doing.

I can feel the buzz of the alcohol hit me hard since I already had a few beers earlier. While helping Dean move his things in, we forgot to eat, leaving us on empty stomachs. Jupiter walks over to throw an arm over my shoulder, the alcohol hitting her much sooner than me.

She's giggling, and I grab the counter to stabilize us both. "You doing okay?" I ask, feeling a smile peel across my face.

"I'm sad you're moving out, but can you believe I'm in the same room as Tessa freaking Kaplan." She exclaims happily and I roll my eyes.

"Why don't you go see if she'll do shots with us?" The smile on her face tells me all I need to know. She moves away quickly, and I hold my breath to see if Jupiter will fall in her inebriated state. Thankfully, she doesn't and it appears that Tessa is on the same level as her.

"I hear we're doing shots?" She asks smiling. I fill two more shot glasses up, giggling as I do so.

"Bottoms up bitches," I tease before throwing another back.

Jupiter squeals happily whereas I'm still trying to get the terrible aftertaste out of my mouth.

Despite that, I feel happy. I know I don't deserve it, but Maddox introduced me to some really great people. People that broke the stereotype that I'd believed when Noah told me that everyone who had money was selfish. He was the selfish one.

I shake my head to rid thoughts of Noah because I don't ever have to see him again. Shaking my head probably wasn't the best idea because my vision wobbles. An arm steadies my back, and I turn to see Dean.

A smile grows on my face, "Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a while."

"I was talking to Grayson for a bit, you look like you've had a few." Dean muses, reaching up to ruffle my hair.

"It's really only because we didn't eat anything today! Unpacking is such a bitch," I scoff, but then I take a step back. "Here Mr. Bartender, let's see what kind of drinks you make."

Dean raises an eyebrow, "Do you need another? You should probably slow down."

I roll my eyes, "Don't act like my dad." I reply grabbing a seltzer off the table since I'm assuming that Dean is not going to make me a drink. I glance back at the spot that Maddox had been occupying only to find he's no longer there.

It's a tiny apartment, there's not many places he can go. I shouldn't even care where he went. But the thought lingers in my mind.

I linger in the living room, trying to push Maddox far away from my mind. I chat with everyone, feeling the smile on my face get easier with each sip of my drink. However, my face is also getting hotter with each sip of my drink.

I break away from the conversation that Tessa and I were having to take a breather on the outlook. Maddox's muscular build is the first thing I spot, resting his arms on the top of the railing while he sips on water.

"No drinking tonight?" I ask without thinking. If I were thinking, I probably would have turned right around.

He turns slightly to glance at me before resuming his original position, "Didn't really feel like it."

Letting out a sigh, I debate turning back around to rejoin the party. Instead, my feet lead me to stand right next to him. Closer than I probably should be standing next to Maddox, but not close enough for our arms to touch.

It feels like an eternity before he speaks, "How've you been?" Maddox asks slowly.

My legs waver beneath me, "Just dandy. You?" I question after letting out a short laugh. What an odd question to begin with.

"I've been thinking."

He reminds me nothing of the Maddox I knew right after we first met. It's odd seeing him like this. Maddox is normally such a confident person that the quietness just isn't what I'm used to.

"About what?" I ask slowly, my words heavy. I feel like I'm having to pry every sentence from him.

His startling blue eyes turn towards me, "You."

My mouth feels dry, "You're going to have to be more specific than that."

Maddox's lips quirk upwards in a faint smile, "I miss you."

"You haven't been acting like it." I retort back, resulting in him sighing.

"I know. You wanted space. I certainly am not going to force you to talk to me." Maddox explains, looking back over the railing. It's not the best view compared to the one that Sephine and Hayes have, but it's better than my last apartment. It's a decent neighborhood where the streets are lined with trees. It's a further walk to the bar, but I don't mind. I'm sure that will change in the winter.

"I don't want space."

He gives me a side glance, "So ditching me at the airport was supposed to tell me that you want to talk to me?"

I look at my feet for a moment, focusing on a chip in the polish on one of my toes. "I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry."

"I know that Boston went terribly. Charlie has her own issues that she has to work through, and I said things that I never should have said. Family is complicated. I'm complicated."

Trust me, I know how complicated family is. That's not something that has to be explained to me. "I wish things weren't complicated. For once in my life, I want things to be simple. I want to stop waiting for the other shoe to drop. Charlie not liking me is only the beginning. I went from staying the night with you multiple nights a week to not hearing from you for two-almost three weeks. "

Maddox takes a sip of his water, before offering it to me, "I want simple too. More than anything. But Cassidy, I can promise you that there is no shoe that's going to drop. You're going to have to make the decision to trust me."

The charms on my wrist twinkle, "I do trust you," I take a drink of the water.

"You don't. I understand not wanting to tell me about your past and everything with Noah, but the secrets you keep are going to eat you alive." Maddox warns, running a hand through his blonde waves.

"Maddox, what do you want from me? I told you about Ty, my father, my 'job' the last three years. I'm not keeping any secrets from you."

"I just want you Cass. That's what I've been trying to tell you. I don't know how many different ways I can say that I only want you." He steps closer to me, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. Maddox's fingers are cold against my flushed skin. He drops his voice to a softer tone, "You have me wrapped around your finger, and you don't even realize it."

I look up at the face I've missed more than I care to admit. I see no hint of a lie. Maddox really does care. I've let him know every part of me, except for my heart. I've been afraid and I have no reason to be.

I push myself up onto my tip toes, resting my hand on his chest for balance. I don't hesitate this time, pressing my lips firmly against his. My balance wavers and I grab onto his shoulder with my other hand. Maddox is quick to react and attempts to steady me too. Instead I still end up falling onto my flat feet, breaking the kiss because I can't stop laughing, and soon enough Maddox is laughing with me too.

"I'm sorry," I try to get out through giggles as Maddox kisses my forehead tenderly.

"You have nothing to apologize for."

I twist my fingers into the fabric of his shirt, pulling him backward with me until my back is against the wall. I can't fall with stabilization behind me, and Maddox has the same idea. Maybe it's the alcohol, but being with Maddox makes me feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest.

His hand cups my cheek and his thumb brushes softly over my bottom lip. The sensation causes me to shiver while I'm waiting very impatiently for him to kiss me. When he does, it's worth it. His lips coax mine slowly into giving him all of the control. Maddox's hand is braced against the wall while using his other to pull my hips to his. It's quite obvious that he's missed me just as much as I missed him.

When his mouth trails down my neck, I try to catch my breath to get out what I need to. "Maddox?"

His head lifts, revealing that his normally well-kept hair is now unkempt, thanks to my hands, "Yes?"

My eyes shift to glance at his swollen lips before flitting back up to his earnest blue eyes. From this angle I can spot the scar under his right eye. I run my finger over it in an identical way of his teasing earlier. I can't forget that I don't know the story behind that one. "I trust you." I've said it, and I don't regret it.

He doesn't respond verbally, but physically by kissing me unhurriedly. It's slow and deliberate. If I wasn't balancing myself against the wall, my knees would have given out.

Kissing Maddox is intoxicating.

"We should probably go back inside," He mumbles against my mouth.

"They can wait a few more minutes."

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

790K 45K 39
#1 Mystery | #1 Thriller | #1 Young Adult Have you ever known someone more than you know yourself? Known them so inside out that you could finish th...
7.2M 202K 46
Some parents are just cruel. They make their kids get jobs while they sit and spend all the money. But when the kid isn't bringing in enough money wh...
85.4K 2.8K 143
"It's time to focus on the company and stop doing disasters, as I see no other option, you will marry Nathaniel." Scarlett's father said. "Son I thin...
191K 11.3K 29
★Featured in Official Paranormal and Supernatural | Ambassadors profile; Life after Death★ Blair Lightwood was a whimsical store owner, a store that...