Maybe Perfect

By emmaroseszalai

Sophie Campbell is a seventeen year old senior at Jackson High that also holds down a part-time job at the lo... More

1: Maybe Perfect
2: Maybe Perfect
3: Maybe Perfect
4: Maybe Perfect
5: Maybe Perfect
6: Maybe Perfect
7: Maybe Perfect
8: Maybe Perfect
9: Maybe Perfect
10: Maybe Perfect
11: Maybe Perfect
12: Maybe Perfect
13: Maybe Perfect
14: Maybe Perfect
15: Maybe Perfect
16: Maybe Perfect
17: Maybe Perfect
18: Maybe Perfect
19: Maybe Perfect
20: Maybe Perfect
21: Maybe Perfect
22: Maybe Perfect
23: Maybe Perfect
24: Maybe Perfect
25: Maybe Perfect
26: Maybe Perfect
27: Maybe Perfect
28: Maybe Perfect
29: Maybe Perfect
30: Maybe Perfect
31: Maybe Perfect
33: Maybe Perfect
34: Maybe Perfect
35: Maybe Perfect
36: Maybe Perfect
37: Maybe Perfect
38: Maybe Perfect
39: Maybe Perfect
40: Maybe Perfect
41: Maybe Perfect
42: Maybe Perfect
43: Maybe Perfect
44: Maybe Perfect
Epilogue: Maybe Perfect

32: Maybe Perfect

291K 5.7K 2.1K
By emmaroseszalai

Chapter 32

As I thought, when I arrived to work an hour later the first thing that Annie did was question me about Jett. Apparently somebody, *cough* Piper *cough*, had informed her of the date that I had happily accepted for next weekend.

After going through and repeating the interesting tale of how he asked me out and taking the many I-told-you-so’s she threw at me, the rest of my shift was pretty normal. I was just glad that Jett didn’t decide that today was a good day for a coffee because I was already having a hard enough time concentrating on the customers correct change with Annie sending me suggestive looks every now and then and my own personal thoughts about the boy, I didn’t need him to be an added distraction.

The week went on, slowly and surely, and before I knew it, it Saturday afternoon and I was a bundle of nerves.

During the last week, Jett and I had hung out a couple of times with my friends or just working on our English project, however, yesterday was the first time he had brought up our date. When he did, I blushed at first but kept my cool and talked it out. We had decided to go with our original plan of going out to dinner but we were also going to a movie after. I know it sounded cliché but honestly, it didn’t matter what we did because I was just excited to spend some time with him.

I was currently sitting on the couch with my phone in my hand as I had the intention to call Piper over for some advice on what to wear tonight, however, before I could dial her number, my phone was ringing with a familiar number.

As I saw the name flashing on the screen a smile grew on my face as I pressed the ‘Accept’ button. “Hey big bro!” I said cheerily into the receiver.

I heard Max chuckle on the other end of the phone. “Hey sis, how’s it going?”

“Oh you know; a lot of studying, a good work schedule and hanging out with my friends… the usual.” I replied happily. “What about you? Are you and Kara still going out?”

I could practically hear him smile through the phone. “Yea, she’s great and that’s actually what I called about…” he said, trailing off.

“What do you mean?” I asked, slightly confused.

“Well seeing as today’s Valentine’s Day I wanted to ask you a small question. So Kara’s coming over for dinner tonight and I’m cooking for her but I also got her this cute little heart necklace but I wanted to know if you thought getting her flowers and chocolate was taking it a little too far?” he asked, seeming nervous about his first Valentine’s Day with his girlfriend.

I smiled at my brother’s nervousness before replying. “I think that the dinner and the necklace would be enough, maybe just put a couple of candles on the table and then that’s good. Kara already loves you and I’m sure she’d want to know that you aren’t being a try hard but just being yourself. The flowers and chocolate would just be over the top.”

“Okay thanks little sis. So, what are you doing tonight… are Mary and Dennis going out or staying home with you?” he asked and I realized that I’d have to tell him about my date.

“Actually…” I said, trailing off sheepishly.

I heard Max gasp on the other end of the phone. “Oh god, you have a date don’t you? Please tell me it’s that Jett guy you’ve been hanging around with.” he stated in a hurry.

Laughing at his quickened speaking pace, I responded. “Umm… yea actually, we’re going to dinner and a movie tonight.” I said shyly, twisting a piece of lose hair in circles.

“Well, I’m happy for you Soph and I hope you have a good time. He seems like a good guy and hopefully he treats my baby sister like she’s meant to be treated.” he replied and I smiled. I loved my brother sometimes. “Anyways, I have to get going now. I gotta pick up Kara’s present from the store and then start on dinner, I’ll talk to you later Soph.”

“Okay, bye Max. Love you.” I responded.

“Love you too Squirt.” he said before I heard the dial tone on my phone, notifying me that my brother had hung up.

I pulled the phone away from my ear and sighed. Sometimes I wished that Max wasn’t away at university because I did miss him a lot and we were always so close but I knew that he loved it there and if he hadn’t of gone away to school he would’ve never met Kara. They seemed happy together and I was really happy for both of them.

Leaving my thoughts on my brother's love life behind, my love life problems came back into focus. Then I remembered what I was doing before Max called and I dialed Piper’s number immediately, knowing it off by heart.

“Hello there my loved up friend, now what can Piper do for you today?” she said, answering her phone on the third ring.

I rolled my eyes at my best friend’s crazy personality. Every time she would answer the phone, whether it be somebody she knew or if it was a total stranger, she would come up with some silly catchphrase. This one in particular I’d not heard before. “Good job Piper, never heard that one before.” I replied, voicing my thoughts over the phone.

Piper giggled into the receiver. “Haha thanks, I’ve been working on it for a while.” she said sarcastically. “Anyways, may I ask why my best friend is calling me when she should be getting ready for her first date with Mr. Hunky McDunky?”

I laughed at Piper’s newest nickname for Jett and realized that she almost never used his actual name. “Well, that’s the problem smarty pants. I need help.” I stated after my laughing fit subsided.

Piper sighed overdramatically before replying. “Okay, I’ll be there soon.” she said and without even waiting for a reply, hung up on me.

Typical Piper’ I thought to myself before slipping my phone back into my pocket and relaxing myself back into the couch.

Not eve two minutes later I heard the front door opening and Piper came barrelling into the living room with a massive grin on her face.

“That was fast.” I said, stating the obvious as I raised one of my eyebrows at her.

Piper rolled her eyes at me and smiled. “Of course I came right over, my best friend is going on her first date tonight with a guy she actually has feelings for and it looks like he feels the same about her. I’m gonna make you into the prettiest girl you’ve ever seen.” she said, walking over to me and taking my hand as she pulled me up from my comfortable position on the couch.

I laughed at her as she kept dragging me up my stairs and into my room, plopping me onto my bed as she stood in front of me with her hands on her hips. As I stopped laughing, I looked up to see her raising one of her eyebrows at me. “What?” I asked, leaning back onto my elbows.

“Well first things first, what type of clothing do you need for tonight?” she asked.

I bit on my tongue, trying to figure out an answer, but when I couldn’t come up with one I shrugged. “I don’t know, I mean we’re going to dinner and a movie but I don’t actually know where we’re eating.” I replied.

Piper scowled at me playfully. “Well get your pretty little voice on the phone and call him because I need to know these things before I can come up with an outfit.” she stated.

I rolled my eyes at Piper, but none the less I pulled my phone out of my pocket and scrolled through my contacts until I came across Jett, pressing the call button. After two rings he picked up. “Hey Sophie.” he said.

I smiled through the receiver, turning around to face the wall because I couldn’t concentrate with Piper making kissy faces and hearts with her hands while I tried to talk. “Hey, so I was just wondering what I’m supposed to wear tonight. Like are we going out to a fancy restaurant or just a casual diner?” I asked, picking at a loose thread at the bottom of my shirt.

“Umm… well I guess you should dress semi-formal, semi-casual if that makes sense.”

I laughed slightly into the phone. “Not really Jett.” I responded in a teasing tone.

I could hear Jett chuckle nervously over the phone. “Well if I told you we weren’t going to some high class restaurant would that help at all, I mean it’s not as casual as a diner but not some prestigious dining hall either.” he said, explaining the restaurant vaguely.

I rolled my eyes. “Okay, well I guess that helps. I’ll see you later.” I said smiling.

“Yea, I’ll be at yours around 6:30pm, if that’s okay?” he asked nervously.

“That’s fine with me.” I replied.

Once we said our goodbyes, I turned back around to face Piper, who had a massive smile on her face. “What?” I asked her, leaving my phone on my night stand.

“You just sound so cute talking to him.” she said with a shrug. “Anyways, what did he say… casual? Fancy? Warm?”

“He just said that it was semi-casual and semi-formal. We aren’t going to a diner or anything but not anywhere overly classy either.” I replied, repeating what Jett had just told me.

Piper nodded her head. “Okay, I can work with that.” she said, rubbing her hands together. “Now get in the shower and wash so when you come out I can dress you all up.”

I pushed of my bed and rolled my eyes. “Pushy pushy.” I commented, grabbing a towel from the drawer before entering the bathroom.

“And hurry up!” Piper yelled through the door.

As I turned the water on to a fairly warm level I stripped out of my clothes and couldn’t help but wonder… what was I thinking when I asked Piper to help?

Jett’s POV

After I hung up on Sophie I slid my phone into my back pocket and fell backwards onto my bed.

I was beyond nervous right now. I didn’t even think that guys could get butterflies but sure enough, here I was, a guy with a bunch of butterflies floating around his stomach.

I didn’t want to mess this up tonight; the guys had to boost my confidence last weekend for me to even consider asking Sophie out and I wanted a fair chance with her. When I first met her on New Year’s Eve I knew who she was, she is one of the smartest in our grade and she always looks so happy hanging out with her friends. She never looked for attention and was perfectly content on staying in the background. I liked that about her, and when we started to hang out I realized that there’s a lot more to like about the girl. She’s pretty, she’s smart, she’s funny, she’s laid back but she still likes to have fun and I just like how she makes me feel when I’m with her.

A major reason why I never dated before was because all the girls in my old school, and even when I moved here as well, were to snobby and stuck up, concentrating too much on outer appearances than what my personality was like. Everybody thought that because I dressed in dark colours, played music and kept to myself that I was some emo bad boy that didn’t want friends. They were wrong, I just wanted friends who knew the real me and I got that when I moved here with Axel, Dillon and Carter. The guys were awesome and treated me like a brother, which is why they were so dead set on getting me to go out with Sophie. I had mentioned it to them that I liked her and I guess they saw something there that made them believe she felt the same way.

Last Saturday I was actually going to delay asking her out but when she brought up seeing Axel and the rest of the guys pressure me into asking her out I knew that was my one perfect chance to ask her. Despite the nerves that were running their way through my body at the time, I manned up and asked her out.

I’m extremely happy that I asked her out now because apparently the guys were right and she did have some feelings for me since she accepted my invitation on dinner tonight.

Hopefully everything would go as planned. I had booked a decent restaurant downtown for our date and prayed that Sophie would like it. It didn’t matter how much tonight would cost me because I was doing it right, I was gonna be the guy that treated the girl he liked with respect but also just be me. Apparently she’d liked how I was around her so far and if I kept being me hopefully she’d like me  even more.

As the hours passed my nerves were coming and going. They went away as I started watching tv, however, when I called up Axel while getting ready for my date they came back full force. I guess I never realized it before but tonight was basically my first date and it was with a girl who I really liked. I also knew it was her first date as well and I wanted her to have fun tonight. The cliché dinner and a movie didn’t bother me that much because I just wanted to spend time with her and hopefully earn a couple more dates as a result.

I dressed quickly, throwing on a pair of black jeans, a white t-shirt, my black leather jacket and a pair of converse before running my hands through my hair a couple of times, becoming satisfied with the way I looked.

I grabbed my wallet, making sure I had enough money for what was planned tonight and headed downstairs to talk to my dad.

Of course, my dad wasn’t alone, as mom and him were talking amongst themselves in the kitchen and they noticed me before I could speak.

“Hey son, what’s up?” my dad asked, taking his attention away from my mom for a second to focus on me.

“Umm… I was just wondering if I could borrow your car for the night.” I asked nervously, fiddling with my fingers behind my back.

My dad raised an eyebrow at me. “What’s wrong with your bike?” he asked, before looking at my outfit and smirking at me. “Wait, are you going out tonight… on Valentine’s Day?”

I could feel my embarrassment settle in as I felt my cheeks heat up. “Yea…” I said, stretching out the word.

My dad kept the smirk on his face as he reached into his back pocket and threw me his keys. “Just take good care of the car and don’t come back with it totaled.” he warned as I caught the keys mid-air.

As my hand closed around the keys my mom decided to butt into the conversation. “So, whose the lucky girl?” she asked, raising her eyebrow curiously.

I smiled at both my parents when I replied. “Sophie.” I stated, thinking of the amazing girl who, for some reason, decided that I was an okay guy.

“You mean the girl who’s been over here a couple times in the past month? Red hair, kind of tall, really cute?” my mom asked, smiling at me.

I nodded in response, just keeping a smile on my face.

“Well done son, she’s a catch and you guys seemed to be good for each other.” my dad commented, smiling proudly at me.

“Thanks dad, but I gotta go; I’m supposed to be at her house in twenty minutes.” I said, waving goodbye to my parents before turning and heading towards the front door.

“Have fun kid!” my dad yelled in reply as I walked out the front door, letting it shut behind me.

I smiled as I walked around to my dad’s car and opened the driver’s side door. Slipping in, I quickly familiarized myself with the car controls, as it’s been a couple months since I’ve actually driven the car instead of my bike.

As I turned the key in the ignition and starting pulling out of the driveway, the only thought going through my mind was … hopefully tonight would be the start of something new.

*******************************************

Applause for the corny HSM reference at the end, sorry but I couldn’t resist :P

Yeah, and upload after three days, hopefully you guys enjoy this chapter as it has both Sophie and Jett’s POV as they are getting ready for the date! This will be the first and last time Jett’s POV is written in this book as I really don’t like writing in his POV, I’m more comfortable in Sophie’s POV.

Anyways, hope you liked the chapter and remember to leave your opinions and thoughts about the chapter in the comment section below! Next chapter is the date :D

Vote/Comment/Fan/Share :) xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82 7 29
Sophie Smith is a foster girl who's bounced around from state to state, "looking for her forever family," but Sophie's not stupid. She knows she does...
3.9M 115K 59
* * * Lauren Collins is a good girl. She's responsible and shy but has a tight knit group of friends, excellent grades, and is dating Thomas Clark, a...
14.1K 775 12
Holly Halliday only had two important things in her life. One was her art and the other was her best friend Gabriel Colton. Starting school for thei...
My life ✅ By Zai

Teen Fiction

570 80 34
a 16 year old girl who's life is about to turn around Live through crushes ,best friends , fake friends and everything in between Enjoy 😊