Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Tailtean Plains

315 12 14
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

They had left from the monastery early in the morning. It had been quiet as everyone gathered at the stables.

This would be it.

Their final battle.

"Hey kiddo?" Jeralt said.

Byleth looked at him, "Sorry" she murmured "I'm listening" she added.

Jeralt furrowed his eyebrows in concern, "Hey, you need to focus out there alright?" he said sternly.

"Of course," Byleth said quietly while nodding her head.

Jeralt kept his face in the same stern look, "Be careful, alright?" he said.

Byleth nodded, her throat felt dry "I will" she lied.

Her Father talked with Byleth for a while then left her to go and search for Dimitri to scold him on being careful as well. She had to admit, she was mildly jealous of the relationship her Father and Jeralt had but they did fight alongside one another for five years while she was presumed dead. Maybe Dimitri filled that void that her supposed demise left, or maybe he just filled in as the child she never acted as...

There's no use dwelling on such things.

"Good Morning Byleth" Dimitri called out to her as he approached.

Byleth smiled softly, "Hello Dimitri" she said then paused for a moment "Did my Father speak with you already?" she asked.

Dimitri nodded, "Yes, he did" he replied "Then he was dragged off by Leonie" he added.

Byleth grimaced, "That's... Uh, nice?" she said unsure. Leonie's infatuation with her father had always disturbed Byleth.

Dimitri chuckled softly and shook his head, "I don't think she thinks of him in the way you think Byleth" he said softly "But I'll admit it does come off that way at times" he added.

"Agreed" Byleth hummed.

Dimitri was silent for a moment, just observing her "How are you feeling?" he finally asked.

How is she feeling...

Byleth mulled over the question for a moment, "Nervous, I suppose" she replied "What about you?" she asked.

"Nervous as well" Dimitri replied, "To think I'll be returning to the city of my birth after so long" he sighed "I just hope I could be the King they need me to be" he added.

"I don't doubt that you will Dimitri" Byleth said softly, he smiled. "You should have more faith in yourself than that," Byleth added.

Dimitri's smile remained, but there was sadness in his eye "Thank you Byleth" he said "I hope, I don't let you down" he added.

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, "Dimitri, I won't become like them" she said quietly.

Dimitri looked away, "You don't know that" he murmured.

"Dimitri, look at me" Byleth said softly, "I won't become like them, I swear" she said sternly.

Dimitri didn't look convinced, but he nodded his head.

Byleth sighed, as much as she wanted to believe that she could help Dimitri realize it is not his fault she couldn't. In the end, he will always blame himself no matter what she may tell him.

It isn't long after that Claude greets them there at the stables and the army leaves for their final battle.

How far they have come...

...

It has been pouring rain.

It's hard to have good morale when the harsh cold winds of Faerghus meet the ice-cold rain.

They had been traveling for four days roughly and they were in-between Galatea territory and the Tailtean Plains.

They had been marching in the rain for hours now and finally they came to the conclusion that the storm wasn't going to let up for some time. So, it was decided that they would set up camp to ride out the storm.

As they did that Gilbert and a few of his men would scout ahead.

"Do you think the goddess is angry?" Dimitri asked quietly into Byleth's ear.

Byleth tilted her head back onto Dimitri's shoulder and looked up at him, "She has other ways of expressing her anger" Byleth retorted "If she really thought it was a bad idea she would find a way to pop back into my head to scold me" she said.

Dimitri chuckled, "Fair enough" he said and wrapped his arms around her, the two of them sat in Byleth's tent with Dimitri's cloak around them trying to strive off the cold that surrounded them. "Do you miss her?" Dimitri asked after a few moments of silence.

"Yes" Byleth replied without hesitation, "Ever since she left my head has felt a little bit empty" she confessed "I do miss her company" she added.

Dimitri rested his head on her shoulder, "I'll try not to take offence from that" he murmured.

Byleth hummed lightly in response, the rain continued to pour outside of the tent. "At this point I think we may have to fight Rhea in the rain," Byleth said.

"Or we could wait for the storm to pass," Dimitri said.

"I suppose you have a point," Byleth said quietly, over the past four days neither of them has mentioned it. Byleth is certain he is thinking of what will come and how he could stop it, but fate cannot be stopped. Not by Byleth, not by Sothis, and certainly not by Dimitri.

Fate is cruel that way.

"Byleth" Claude's voice shouts from outside of her tent, then the flaps are pushed aside to let him in. Claude stares for a moment, "Oh? I hope I'm not interrupting" he said in a sly voice.

Byleth frowns at Claude and opens the cloak to show she is still in full gear, as is Dimitri. "What's up Claude?" Byleth questions.

Claude nods his head, "Ah, right" he said, "Gilbert returned from his scouting mission" Claude began "It looks like we are going to receive a greeting before we reach Fhirdiad" he added.

Dimitri tensed up, "What do you mean, Claude?" he asked as though he didn't understand it.

"Rhea sent out troops to greet us at Tailtean Plains" Claude replied.

Byleth was silent for a moment, "Will Rhea be there?" she asked.

"I would assume so," Claude said.

Dimitri's arms tightened around her slightly, "I see..." Byleth murmured "So, that means we need to depart to meet them, right?" she asked.

Claude nodded, "Inquisitive as always Byleth" he said "But yeah get ready to depart you two" he added and left from the tent.

Byleth and Dimitri were quiet for a moment.

"I didn't think we would be fighting so suddenly," Dimitri said quietly.

Byleth sighed and leaned into him for a moment more then got up to be met with the harsh cold air.

Dimitri followed her lead and got up.

"For what it's worth, I didn't think so either" Byleth confessed and shook her head, "But... I cannot keep Rhea waiting" she sighed "The time is now, where her reign ends" she concluded.

Dimitri was quiet for a moment, he had a look of confliction apparent on his face "Right..." he murmured "Come, now let's not keep the others waiting" he added and left from Byleth's tent.

Dimitri...

Byleth sighed, it doesn't matter the fact that she even got to spend time with him as she has over the past few days didn't seem like something, she ever thought possible.

And yet... Here they were.

But all good things come to an end eventually.

Byleth leaves from her tent and meets the group that will be leading the forces at Tailtean Plains. It consists of Byleth, Claude, Dimitri, Edelgard, Bernadetta, Caspar, Felix, Ferdinand, Hilda, Ingrid, Lysithea, and Sylvain.

They ride in the rain once again for a couple of hours till they reach Tailtean Plains.

In the distance Byleth can see the banner of the Church of Seiros.

Byleth dismounts from her horse then unsheathes the Sword of the Creator.

"It's time" Edelgard's voice rings out to them through the rain.

"Everyone brace yourselves" Claude calls out "This will not be an easy fight, be sure to give it all you've got" he adds.

The Church soldiers drew closer to them, some of the first ones to greet them were Falcon Knights which Bernadetta and Claude defeated swiftly with ease.

Why...

Why does this Plain feel so familiar?

Sylvain:

Faerghus.

They've finally made it here.

After everything with the Empire, it seemed a bit unreal that they would now be fighting to conquer their homeland from Rhea.

Who would have guessed it five years earlier when they first enrolled at the academy that this is how things would play out?

Sylvain swung his lance, enemies charged at them from every angle, Rhea certainly pulled out all of the stops for this battle. Sylvain was thankful that he remained on top of his horse rather than dismounting like his allies did, they struggled as the mud sank in their feet. Sylvain could have sworn he saw Dimitri have to pull Byleth out from the mud once her feet got too stuck.

Areas of the Plain had begun to flood, preventing them from taking any short cuts but in the distance, he saw some bridges which led to more soldiers... Go figure.

It really wasn't going to be easy for them was it.

More soldiers came at them, with every swing Sylvain took the Lance of ruins emitted a red glow as it took the lives of those who stood before him.

They had all stuck together as they fought through the mess that was Tailtean Plains, but once they reached the bridge things changed.

"We are going to need to split up" Byleth shouted, so that she could be heard over the downpour.

In retrospect that was a horrible idea, but if they stayed bunched together it wouldn't be long before they gathered a force strong enough to stop them... It was best to be spread out.

Claude looked around, "You're right" he said "And there is still no sign of Rhea" he added.

"What a coward," Edelgard remarked.

Claude nodded, "I agree but let's not lose focus" he said "Edelgard and I will lead Ferdinand, Ingrid, Lysithea, and Sylvain over the bridge" he added.

"Ah, so Byleth and I will lead Bernadetta, Caspar, Felix, and Hilda over to the right side," Dimitri said.

"Indeed" Claude replied, "Be safe no one is allowed to die" he added sternly "Now move out" he concluded and began heading to the bridge.

Sylvain took one last look at his friends as they parted, he was certain he would see them again but still. He didn't want to deny there was a possibility that he wouldn't.

Battle was a finicky bastard; it took more than it ever gave and the last thing he wants is for his friends to be taken.

Dammit he's getting too sentimental.

Sylvain quickly readies his mind for battle, he can't think of anything else if he wishes to survive.

"Ah, great mages," Claude calls out, "I'll handle them,'' he adds and begins firing at them.

In retaliation they shoot spells back at them.

"Sylvain" Edelgard calls out "There is a Cavalry unit approaching" she adds.

Sylvain nods, he gets it. "No worries, I'll handle them" he said and searched for them.

Ah.

Found them.

Sylvain rides forward towards them, he casts a Sagittae spell at them from a distance. The soldier didn't seem to be expecting that, Sylvain used this moment of confusion to his advantage and rushed forward on his stead at the soldier, while swinging his lance at them.

The soldier fell heavy into the mud.

Yeah... There was no way he's getting back up.

In the distance he can see reinforcements coming from a platformed area, two fortress knights.

Lysithea quickly casts a Miasma spell at one of them and Sylvain casts a fire spell at the other. The one Lysithea fired at died on the spot, but Sylvain's magic is nowhere near as proficient as hers is, so it took him another spell before the soldier fell.

Sorry, please don't hate me.

In the distant Sylvain hears a horrible roar.

Oh no.

He turns his horse in the direction, there is a demonic beast.

Claude, Edelgard, Ferdinand, and Ingrid have all begun attacking the beast. Sylvain rushes to their aid, Lysithea beats him to it. Who knew a Miasma ball is faster than a horse? Certainly not Sylvain but it does make sense.

Sylvain stabs at the beast and he can hear more roars in the distance.

Oh crap.

There are more than one.

"Crest stones," Edelgard shouts, "We have to quickly kill the soldiers before they change," she adds.

Claude grunts as he takes a hit, "You and Ferdinand take out the soldiers" he shouted "We'll fight the beasts" he added.

Sylvain wasn't paying attention to whether or not she thought it was a good idea, but he saw Edelgard and Ferdinand leave to the nearest soldiers to follow Claude's orders.

Sylvain was relieved, they already had two Demonic beasts to worry about, they really don't need anymore.

Dimitri:

The heavens were relentless.

Rain poured and poured, it made navigating through the plains difficult, but they still managed.

Today was the day...

Rhea would die.

And so, would his beloved.

The words stung at his chest more than any weapon ever could, and yet he had no power to stop it.

For someone who would be King, he certainly didn't feel it.

"Enemies ahead" Felix called out.

Dimitri's vision... Well having only one eye makes things difficult, and the rain wasn't really a big help either, so he was at a bit of a disadvantage when it came to finding enemies. He needed to rely on his allies for that.

It took a bit, but they eventually came into vision for Dimitri. There were three enemies heading at them, two swordsmen and a Paladin.

Felix rushed at one of the Swordsman's, while Bernadetta fired from a distance at the other one and Hilda jumped in and finished him off.

Dimitri went forward to fight the Paladin, but Byleth beat him to the jump and soon the Paladin laid limp on the floor.

She frowned and looked around, "Is that all in this area?" Byleth asked.

Dimitri looked around, although he wasn't much of a help in that department.

"I think so" Felix replied "So do we cross that bridge right there then?" he asks and points off to an area near them.

Byleth nodded her head, "Yes, I think so" she said "I think it will lead us back with the other's as well" she added and began heading that way.

Dimitri followed closely behind Byleth.

"Soldiers" Byleth muttered, and a spell was cast at them. It didn't hit either of them but a hint of irritation flashed over Byleth's face for a moment, "I'll deal with the mage" she said "Dimitri get the Brigand" she added "Over to the left" she added.

Dimitri nodded and went where she asked of him, and sure enough the Brigand soldier was there.

Dimitri swung Areadbhar at him and the soldier, it surprised him a bit that he survived that hit. And in retaliation the soldier swung his axe at Dimitri, who took the hit then lashed Areadbhar at him again.

This time he fell.

Footsteps sounded behind him, Dimitri quickly turned and raised his relic at the perpetrator.

Byleth.

Dimitri lowered his lance, "Sorry, Byleth" he said.

There was a flash of something on her face that he didn't quite comprehend, but it left as quickly as it had come.

Byleth looked away, "It's fine let's keep moving" she said and began leading the way. "I see Claude and the others, prepare to fight" Byleth called out "Up ahead, they're fighting demonic beasts" she said in a lower voice to Dimitri.

Dimitri nodded and raised his lance in preparation.

As they drew closer, he could hear the growls of the beasts, as they took hits from their allies. Dimitri quickly jumped into action and lashed at the nearest beast. And after a few minutes of fighting it fell.

"Works not over yet Your Highness" Sylvain called out and pointed off to the other Demonic Beast that some of their allies were already swarming.

Dimitri rushed over to their aid and the monster fell quickly.

"Is that all?" Edelgard asked as they began to regroup.

Claude frowned, "I doubt it, we have yet to run into any sort of general" he said and paused for a moment squinting off in the area they had arrived at "Also I see reinforcements flying in from the south" he added.

Dammit.

That would mean one thing.

"Rhea should have come with them" Byleth said before Dimitri could even finish his thoughts, her jaw was clenched and the grip she has on the Sword of the Creator is tight "Let's end this here" Byleth concludes.

Dimitri frowns, he knows that her decision will not be swayed this is the end.

"Perhaps we should try to detain Rhea" Edelgard calls out "There are still many mysteries that she has yet to reveal to us" she added.

Byleth frowns, "Edelgard we went over this with Dimitri" she said sternly "It just won't work" she added.

Byleth sounded tired of having this conversation, although Dimitri was surprised by his step- sister for saying it as well.

Claude nodded his head in agreement, "It's too great of a risk" he said "Byleth is right, this ends here" he added.

Byleth:

They stayed together as they crossed the bridge that Claude and Edelgard had led the others over, straight ahead Byleth sees the reinforcements. It's a great amount of Falcon Knights.

Byleth stops, she feels eyes on her from a distance then turns and looks to her left.

"Rhea" Byleth calls out, Dimitri is at her side immediately.

"She actually came," Edelgard said in shock. "I'll admit I had my doubts," she added.

It's finally time.

How ironic.

It took Byleth a bit, but she recalls why this field felt so familiar to her.

This is where it happened, where Seiros defeated Nemesis. And where the Fell Star will defeat Rhea.

No.

Where she will defeat Seiros.

"I'm going to Rhea" Byleth called out, Dimitri grabbed her wrist.

"You aren't going alone" Dimitri said sternly "You'll die in vain if you do, look she has a good chunk of soldiers covering her" he added.

"Byleth we'll come with you" Edelgard said then turned to Claude "You take the others and deal with the reinforcements" she said "Felix, Lysithea, and Sylvain come with us" Edelgard added.

Claude nodded, "Sounds good, be careful" he said then turned in that direction. The others followed.

Hilda lingered a moment longer with sad eyes, "Please be careful Byleth" she called out then turned after Claude.

Byleth doesn't reply to Hilda, her mind is focusing on one thing only.

Rhea.

She isn't aware as she battles against the other soldiers that block her way, but it happens. They fall to the floor.

Slowly but steadily Byleth makes her way to the green hair that beacons her to end things.

Fodlan will be free.

Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard will all be free.

That is what she is working for.

Byleth's final barrier preventing her from reaching Rhea falls, Byleth steps over the corpse to Rhea.

"This rain... It is a lamentation to my Mother" Rhea calls out as Byleth approaches her.

"Do you remember the last time you were here Seiros?" Byleth asked "To think it took me so long to realize who you were" she added while shaking her head "Some of her memories combined with mine, this is where Nemesis died" Byleth said "And now you will as well" she concluded.

Rhea glared at Byleth, "That is true, I once walked this world as Seiros, the warrior... And defeated the Fell King Nemesis" she said confirming what Byleth had said then shook her head "The fate you have chosen is the same as his... To die in torment upon my sword, as the very lifeblood you have forsaken spills onto the earth!" Rhea shouted.

Byleth frowns, "You are wrong Rhea" she said sternly "It will be you who will spill upon the earth" Byleth said then lunges at Rhea.

Rhea raises her sword and blocks Byleth's attack then parries it.

Byleth staggers a bit and Rhea uses that to her advantage. Byleth is met with a fist to her cheek, she doesn't make the same mistake ducking as soon as she sees Rhea coming in for another punch. Byleth uses this time to draw back a bit from Rhea to lash at her with the Sword of the Creator.

Rhea takes the hit, then comes running at Byleth swinging her blade.

Byleth managed to parry it and used the opportunity to punch Rhea in the face.

In that moment Byleth understood what Felix meant by the unpredictability of warriors of old, Byleth was grateful that her Father had made sure she was well versed in it as well.

Rhea staggered back; blood trickled from her nose. She raised her blade at Byleth "You die now" Rhea spat then lunged at her.

Byleth clashed blades with Rhea again and again until she found an opening. She elbowed Rhea in the ribcage causing her to fall on the ground.

Byleth loomed over her, "How dare you" Rhea spat.

Byleth pointed the sword of the creator at Rhea's neck.

"Byleth" Dimitri's voice rang out "Watch out" he yelled.

She narrowly dodged an attack from a great knight, how had she not even seen him?

"Lady Seiros! Please retreat!" The soldier yelled to Rhea as he stood defensively in front of her pointing his lance at Byleth.

"I lost to that thief? Unacceptable!" Rhea screamed.

Dimitri stood beside Byleth, "Your days are numbered Rhea" he spat at her.

Rhea glared at Dimitri, "You are all damned, with no hope of salvation. For the sin of insurgency, you shall be consigned to hell!" she yelled at him "Faerghus shall be a Kingdom without a king" she spat then finally warped away.

Byleth clenched her blade and swung it at the soldier.

How dare he.

This... Was supposed to be over.

Now, it just drags the townspeople of Fhirdiad into it.

The soldier fell.

Byleth loomed over it for a moment, "I'm sorry Dimitri" she said "Because of me your people will be dragged into our fight" she added.

Dimitri set one of his hands on her shoulder, "That's nonsense Byleth" he replied "It wouldn't have ended here, both Catherine and Cyril weren't here" he said "We still were going to have to fight for Faerghus" he concluded.

Byleth felt numb.

His words didn't help.

Killing Rhea would have stopped them, she knows it. Byleth is certain Dimitri knows it as well but won't admit it.

"Byleth" Edelgard calls out and approaches them.

"Rhea got away," Byleth said sternly.

"Then we march to Fhirdiad" Edelgard replied without hesitation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 30 5
The Fall of Garrag Moch Monastery, Year 1180 had been a disaster and full of the unexpected. But lets follow a different flow in the time stream. In...
167K 3K 37
if you're requesting: please check the requests tab for the important stuff you should know! <3 if you're reading: i hope you enjoy yourself! <3
42.9K 814 26
Hello and welcome to my pit of boredom - Part Two!! I love all the people that supported me during the making of my first book, and I really hope thi...
20.7K 687 56
"We could have been great together, Teach." Even though Byleth had chosen to teach the Black Eagles, the Golden Deer house leader Claude von Riegan w...