The dark days

By LightningMcQueen6

Decisions are hard to make, but how hard would making decisions be when you're thrust in to a post pandemic w... More

Nightmares were better
Supply mission
The stars should have looked beautiful
City of the dead
First contact
Over run
In the jungle
The night journey
Two strangers
Not alone
Gas station

Fear the dark

13 2 8
By LightningMcQueen6

*Lucy's pov*

  "Please be okay Zack" I silently pleaded, looking out the window at the convenience store. "Please don't let anything happen to you. I..i can't lose you." Tears began to form in my eyes as memories from the past came forward, reminding me of the last time I had lost someone close to me.

  "No" I thought to myself, balling up my fists and wiping the tears from my eyes., "Zack will come back, I know it. This won't be like last time."

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and tensed.

  "Relax Lucy" Emily reassured, patting my shoulder gently, "Zack will be fine. I promise you that. Besides, he has Felix with him, and Felix never leaves anyone behind; I would know."

"D..do you think they might have run in to something i..in there?" I asked worriedly.

  "If they did, I'm certain they would have gotten rid of it. So don't worry Lucy" Emily answered, smiling reassuringly.

  Suddenly a series of shrieks erupted from inside the convenience store and I froze. "They're a lot of zombies in there! We need to go help Emily!"

  "No it's too dangerous! We can't go out there, especially with no weapons!" Emily argued, grabbing me and pulling me back.

"Hey! Let..me..go!" I struggled, "We need to help them!"

  "We can't do anything! If we went they'd have to protect both us and themselves!" Emily replied with equal ferocity. Her tone made it clear that she wouldn't take no for an answer.

  "At least we can try and open the do- hmph!" I began before a hand swiftly clamped down on my mouth and Emily pulled me close to her.

  "MMMRVIRF!" I flailed about, trying to break free from her grip but it only tightened more; not enough to hurt me but enough to stop me from moving or speaking.

"Shh be quiet!" she ordered, whispering now. "There may be a zombie abo-"

  She was abruptly cut short by one of the most terrifying blood curdling screams I had ever heard. We both fell in to deadly silence. A moment passed, and then another shriek erupted, this time much closer. Close enough to be..right outside the car..

No, no please no

The shriek was followed by a few clicking sounds, and a series of low growls.

  "Don't make a sound" Emily whispered ever so slightly, eyeing her window. She kept her hand on my mouth and quietly pulled me behind her.

  I nodded, trembling now. I held on to Emily tightly, my heart pounding so hard I thought the zombie might hear it.

A few agonizingly slow seconds passed, and then..it came in to view.

  Inch by inch it came in to view. Inch by inch it's horrifying decayed, mutated face came in to view through the window, and every inch forward it went, the time seemed to slow down even more.

  The air was chock full of fear, with an excessive coating of suspense. It seemed so full of fear that I thought the creature might see it before it saw us. I started to perspire nervously, my eyes locked on to the undead thing, all the while praying it would go away and leave us alone.

  It kept walking forwards, making those weird and freaky clicking sounds, and for a moment I thought it would completely miss us.

It was now almost away from the window, almost...almost

  Suddenly I felt a disturbance in my throat, and I closed my mouth shut, trying my hardest not to make any noise. But it was too late, I coughed.

  The zombie shrieked and turned towards us immediately. I froze and clamped my hands over my mouth immediately, holding my breath.

"Dang it!" I thought, "Why did I have to cough now!?"

  Slowly I began to scoot towards the other door, but Emily swiftly and noiselessly grabbed my arm, sending the message that it would be a bad idea to try and escape. I gulped and nodded, even though Emily was now facing away from me.

  My attention went back to the creature lurking outside the car window. It hadn't moved...perhaps it really didn't know we were in the vehicle?

But suddenly...it's weird misshapen mouth began to bend and contort in to..a grin?

Oh no!

  It swiped at the window with it's appendage and smashed it in one blow, screaming like a banshee. It then proceeded to slip it's hand through the empty window frame, clawing at the air in an attempt to find it's prey.

  Emily had remained completely silent throughout the whole ordeal, and showed no signs of changing that demeanor, instead slowly inching away from the grasp of the undead creature. Suddenly I realized what she wanted to do and I made sure to keep silent too. I began to quietly scoot backwards too until I felt the door of the car gently make contact with my back.

  All of a sudden, the zombie, seemingly frustrated, took a swipe at the air aggressively, narrowly missing Emily's leg. She almost jumped as the seat in front of her got cut but somehow, she managed to keep quiet. And it seemed like Emily was now out of reach of the lifeless thing.

  But the clicker wasn't done searching yet. It squeezed it's head through the broken window and snarled threateningly, putting both it's disgusting hands on the seat and slowly crawling in our direction. It growled, feeling around for us, while we scooted as far back as we could until we couldn't go any further back, with me being sandwiched between the door and Emily.

  Unfortunately the clicker kept advancing, crawling more and more forward, and then it stopped...

  It started to make those clicking sound again, jerking it's head backwards and forwards, trying it's hardest to locate it's prey.

  And just when I thought things couldn't get any worse it squealed and slammed it's hand down on the seat, right next to Emily's right leg. This startled us both, and almost caused me to blow our cover, but through some sheer miracle I managed to stay quiet.

  At this point, we had gone as far back in the car as we could, and I knew if the monster came closer, we were done for. Once again I looked back at the car door and thought about opening it, but it was too dangerous now. The second it would open, the clicker would pounce on Emily and then attack me right after.

  The monster was closing in now, and in a rather menacing manner brought it's face closer to Emily, until their faces were almost touching. Time seemed to stop, and I felt Emily tense up, stopping her breathing.

"Zack, please come save us!" I began to plead, "If you don't come now w..we-"

  Suddenly a flurry of gunshots went off from the store, and the clicker squealed, turning back and pulling itself out from the car. It ran off with lightning speed towards the sounds, and I shakily moved to the window to see if it was well and truly gone.

  Once I was certain it was gone I sighed, my heart still throbbing. I was certain I had gone pale too.

"Heh that was close wasn't it?" Emily panted, patting my head.

"Yeah. Let's..let's try not to make ourselves so accentuated heh" I replied, also just as exhausted.

"Noted"

***

(Zack's pov)

"Ready Zack?" Felix asked, his back against mine.

  "Totally. Do we fire first?" I questioned, rotating around with him so we had all 360 degrees within our line of sight. "I'm asking because I think I can see some of them"

  "No, we need to save our bullets. Besides, it'd be much wiser to go on the defensive against these miscreants. Let them make the first move"

  "Fine, but all this waiting is making me nervous. Why aren't they making a move?" I asked, gripping my knife tighter.

  "If you let them wear you down you'll just be falling in to their trap Zack. Stay calm, and when they come at us, blow their fucking brains out" Felix responded. "And also don't try running away. These bitches will have you on the ground or in their bellies within a few seconds if you try that."

"R..right" I gulped.

  For a moment, silence hung thick in the air, and then, one of the creatures lunged at Felix from the side.

  "Watch out Felix!" I warned, firing rapidly at it and making it drop to the ground. It howled in pain and writhed on the ground, before going limp in a pool of thick black blood.

  "Zack!" Felix yelled, pushing me out of the way just as another one of the creatures pounced at me. I fell back in surprise, and got out of the way just in time to see the undead thing fly past me, right where I was a millisecond ago.

  But there was no time to even thank Felix, for the beast landed on the ground and immediately lunged for me again.

  "Ah!" I yelped, rolling out of the way not a moment too soon, hearing the sound of the claws skidding across the ground right behind me.

  Quickly I pulled myself up, only to be knocked down from behind by a third zombie. I hit the ground hard on my head and groaned in pain, twisting around and stabbing the creature in the side, repeating the process until it fell off me.

  And as if on cue the next zombie jumped on to me, causing me to scream in pain as I felt my chest compress so tight I thought my ribcage would break. Wheezing, I attempted to stab it too but it knocked the dagger straight out of my hand, sending it skidding away.

  Not wasting a moment I pointed my pistol at it and shot it clean through the head, causing it to drop on me.

  Hurriedly I pushed it off and pulled myself back up, looking for the knife, almost not noticing the flash in the corner of my eye in my haste.

  "Damn it Zack watch your back!" Felix yelled, shoving me out of the way yet again. Unfortunately this time the zombie instead got a hold of him, and brought him to the ground, preparing to bite in to his insides.

  I gasped, stumbling forwards, feeling a lot of pain in my back and face, "Y..you won't hurt Felix you bitch!"

  Rushing towards them I aimed and kicked the zombie square in it's stomach region, causing it to double over, and then I slammed my gun in to it's face, throwing it off it's feet and making it drop to the ground, dead.

  "Thanks Zack" Felix mouthed, grabbing my arm and pulling himself up. There were a few cuts in his shirt now, and I could see the exhaustion on his face. At this point I was pretty exhausted too, but I reminded myself that I couldn't rest here; I couldn't give up.

  We stood back to back yet again to face our terrifying enemies, panting as sweat and blood ran down our persons, but at this point I couldn't tell who it might have belonged to. We braced ourselves again as the remaining zombies fled in to the darkness and regrouped, ready to strike in a second wave.

  And what happened next played out so reminiscent of the first attack. Only this time, me and Felix were ready and weren't about to make more mistakes.

And this time, we weren't going to be beat back.

  This time they attacked all at once, from every direction, but we were ready. As if we both were in sync, we both gunned down the undead rushing towards us from the front and jumped forward, breaking out of the circular trap the zombies had thought we had fallen into.

  Not wasting a moment I aimed and shot at the group, with Felix doing the same; gunshot after gunshot followed by corpse after corpse hitting the ground. And slowly but surely, we were down to the last zombie.

  I panted, one knee on the floor and the other on the brink of collapse. Sweat dripped down my cheeks, and I noticed a decently sized cut or two in my clothes. My gun felt considerably lighter, signaling that I would run out of ammo now if i took a few more shots.

  Felix was panting too, but he was still standing, and his eyes hadn't left the creature in front of us. It seemed to be wounded in it's leg, but I wasn't so sure. After all the floor was now painted in the disgusting black liquid that belonged to these monstrosities, and it just as likely could have been that the creature was trying to trick us in to thinking that we were safe.

  But I wasn't going to be caught by surprise again today. With a quick flick of the wrist I locked on to my target and shot it, once in the heart and once in the brain, and that was all it took to end it's life.

"I..is it over?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

  "I..i think so man" Felix replied, also out of breath, "Let's c..catch our breath for a minute before grabbing anything useful here.

  "I'm h..happy to oblige" I answered, flopping down on to my butt and steadying my breath. Felix sat down as well.

"That..was terrifying" I said, glancing at Felix.

"Yeah, no doubt about it" he agreed, leaning against one of the pillars that supported the roof.

"You think Lucy and Emily are okay?" I asked worriedly.

  "They can handle themselves I'm sure, but all the same..we better get moving. God knows how many zombies may be coming here after all the commotion" Felix answered with a hint of worry.

  "Then let's go" I said, jumping up in to a standing position and grabbing a plastic bag. "I can't rest knowing Lucy might be in danger."

"Emily too" Felix added, grabbing another bag.

"Right, I was going to say that"

  In a minute or so we had wrapped things up and explored most of the store. We had managed to find some cool things, but by far the coolest thing was a custom designed pistol along with quite a bit of ammunition. These would be quite useful down the line..

  "Hey Zack, help me unblock the door?" Felix asked, looking at the giant vending machine that lay in the way of the entrance, effectively blocking it.

  "Is it that heavy?" I asked, putting my hands to the machine and giving a big push, "Oh god you're right, this is very heavy. Well..i guess I should have guessed that, seeing how it's laid horizontally against the door rather than vertically."

  "Yeah, now put your hands right there and on the count of three start pushing with me Zack" Felix ordered, putting his own hands against the giant metal box.

"Okay, I'm ready" I smiled, getting ready to put my whole body in to it.

"1..2..3 now!"

  On the count of three I began pushing with all my might, getting down on my knees and forcing all the strength I had in to my arms, and Felix did the same.

  "W..why..is this....so heavy" I panted, feeling my muscles beginning to stiffen from the workout. "When were these god damn things so heavy?"

  "Just..keep..pushing!" Felix grunted, also getting on to his knees, signs of fatigue showing on his face already.

  It seemed like it wouldn't work, but little by little, the vending machine got pushed forward. Inch by inch, the entrance was unblocked..until we finally got the horrid thing out of the way completely.

  "F..f..finally" I managed to sputter, collapsing on the floor, my muscles burning up in pain. I groaned in pain, feeling the sweat trickle down my forehead on to the cold hard floor.

  "Fuck yeah" Felix grinned, putting one hand on the floor to support himself, as he himself caught his breath. "W..we showed that oversized box."

  But just before I could agree with him and insult the vending machine a little more, the door slammed open, leaving us both in shock as we looked up at the figure in the door.

p.s: I'm so glad i did it lol

Anyway i'm alive if you're wondering

yay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48 Hours By RebekahA

Mystery / Thriller

6.1K 141 21
A group of teenages battle it out with a rare disease that causes phenomenal changes to a human body that cuts off their senses and their mind. Will...
169 9 33
Firstly, A trigger warning for mental health/ self inflicted wounds when reading. you're only 18 years old. your name is zoe. you always had a love...
195K 9.6K 81
The zombie apocalypse is coming. A scientist at the CDC has that terrifying realization when infected victims start displaying the symptoms predicte...
143 6 21
What happens when humanity's hope rests on the shoulder of a teenager? Caleb didn't come out of the zombie uprising unscathed. He's been scarred-bot...