Love or Gratitude

By scrumptiouswrites

A Perfect life partner is what everyone wish for but what if you get that perfect partner in some imperfect c... More

1||Unforeseen Wedding
2||Love: Feeling or Commitment?
3||Family: Disappointed yet Happy!
4||A New Beginning
5||The First Day in College
6||The Perfect Payback
7||Tia: Friend or Enemy
8||Jealous: Wife or Friend?
9||Bond: Stuck or Developed
10||Feelings: Jealous or Insecure
11||Status: Love or Like
12||Questions: Personal or Professional
13||Mallika: Friend or Girlfriend
14||Story: End or Start
15||Roshini: Saviour or Destroyer
16||Shivaay: Pervert or Perfect
17||Drunk Annika: Task or Treat
18||Separation: Misunderstanding or plan
20||Balance: Selfish and Selfless
21||Love: Struck or Stuck
22||Family: Merciless or Merciful
23||Yuvraj: Cupid or Villain
24|| Plan: Master or Mess
25||Party: Games and Lies
26|| Heartbreak: Love and Friendship
27||Roshini: Spy or Stupid
28|| Shivaay: Boss and Bastard
29|| Intimacy: Loved or Forced
30|| Molestation: Crime and Allegation
31|| Brothers: Possessive and Scared
32||Nihika: Disaster and Drama
33||Patriarchy: Culture or Curse
34|| Marriage: Love or Arranged
35|| Toxic: Jealousy and Possessiveness

19||Step: Demand or Divorce

6K 744 818
By scrumptiouswrites

Annika checked the gate again and again, it was her birthday but Shivaay wasn't back yet. He just sends her a plain Happy Birthday message midnight but didn't call like he promised. She didn't let anyone wish her because she wants Shivaay to wish her first. She didn't picked a single call of any of her friend neither let anyone in Oberoi Mansion wish her. It was childish but she wanted Shivaay to be the first one to wish her.

The disappointment and fear kept settling in her heart, as the clock showed quarter past three. He was supposed to be back early morning but it was going to be evening soon. The family members looked at her dejectedly, they tried to reach Shivaay as well but he wasn't receiving anyone's call.

"Annika Beta, he must be stuck in some work. Relax okay. He would be back soon. Don't spoil your special day" Shakti softly tried to convince Annika but something in her gut feeling was telling her something wasn't right. She didn't know what but she felt something wasn't right as if Shivaay was in some kind of pain. She was feeling this restlessness since yesterday.

"My day isn't special without him Papa" replied Annika, her eyes stuck at the Oberoi Mansion Gate. Pinki ambled up to her, softly placing her hand on Annika's head, she said "At least go and rest in your room, you haven't eaten anything since morning. Shivaay would go to his room immediately when he will be back."

"Exactly Annie, I am sure he must be planning a surprise for you" assured Rudra before pulling her to her room, he pushed her inside and locked the gate "Now rest, I know you won't eat anything until Bhaiya is back so just take a nap and stop worrying" he ordered from outside and Annika exhaled a deep breath trying to remove the melancholy forming in her throat.

She dialed his number once again and just like the last thirty five times, it wasn't picked up. She rested down on the bed, wiping the lone tear that escaped her eyes. Her mind wasn't settling down, tired and dejected she didn't realize when sleep engulfed her.

A slight shake woke Annika and much to her relief she saw Shivaay standing there, removing his blazer waking her up. Without a second thought she immediately engulfed him in a hug "You are back, I was so worried. Where were you Shivaay?" in her own racing emotions she didn't realize that he didn't hug her back.

"Okay I know I am being annoying-----" she said wiping her tears that escaped her eyes seeing him safe and sound "I was just worried; you said you will be back early morning and now its evening." She was interrupted by Shivaay "Come with me."

"But-----Okay" she wanted to ask him about wishing her birthday but couldn't. She could never demand anything from him. Her Gratitude doesn't allow her.

He took her into the hall where everyone was present; Annika felt something off with Shivaay's behavior but didn't have the audacity to ask. "Bhaiya where were you? You know Annie was waiting for you since morning. She didn't even let anyone of us wish her. I know you were preparing a surprise for her so now give it to her, wish her so that even we can wish her" said the ever cheerful Rudra.

Shivaay without a word forwarded a packed box to Annika who took it with a smile. "Just a single gift Bhaiya how unromantic" complained Priyanka but Annika was satisfied, anything from him values more than everything else in the world.

"Thank you" Annika replied with a smile but it fell of seeing his emotionless face and dead eyes. Something was amiss but she couldn't put finger over it.

"This is too stingy Shivaay but no problem open it Annika" asked Jhanvi and Annika opened it with a wide smile which fell off immediately seeing the content inside the box, her tears fell over it. She looked at Shivaay who was looking straight at a wall and nothing in particular.

"What's there in the box Annika?" asked Om concerned seeing the look on Shivaay and Annika. "Show me" Rudra snatched the box from Annika, even he didn't expect this. "Bhaiya? What is this?" asked Rudra, voice both hurt and angry.

"What happened Rudra? What's there in the box?" asked Dadi to which Rudra replied in a dead tone "Divorce paper."

A heavy silence followed this; Shakti was the first one to break it. He walked toward Shivaay, pulled him from his arms to make him look into his eyes "What kind of joke is this Shivaay?"

"It's not a joke Dad. On Annika's birthday I am gifting her freedom from this marriage. It can't work; we are too different to be together. She doesn't belong to my circle. I have asked the court, we will be granted divorce within three months by than Annika's studies would be over and she would be established on her feet. She doesn't need me anymore. I am done living in a charity marriage"

His last sentence broke something in Annika, although she herself considers this marriage an act of gratitude from Shivaay. Listening it from his mouth broke the little hope she had of him loving her. The hope of a happily ever after with someone as amazing as Shivaay.

Her train of though was broken when Shakti slapped Shivaay right on his face. He didn't flinch but a muffled scream left Annika's mouth as if she was the one who felt it.

Tej immediately came between the son and father "What's wrong with you Shakti? Who raises hand on their adult sun?"

"Shivaay what are you doing child? You were so happy in this marriage? What happened all of a sudden?" asked Tej, who could see something in Shivaay breaking. He was the closest to Shivaay and he knew him way to well to believe all this in one go.

"I wasn't happy Bade Papa; I was just trying to be happy. I tried to give a chance to this wedding but it's suffocating now. I can't do this anymore. I can't live with Annika because I want to live with someone else" his each word was like bullets to Annika's heart, but the last sentence. It was something so worse she couldn't bring herself to compare it to anything.

"Tripti" called Shivaay, a girl dressed in a gorgeous almond color jumpsuit, with hairs falling free and high heels, highlighting her already perfect legs marched inside the Oberoi Mansion. She stood beside Shivaay who wrapped his hand around her waist. His each word, each action was making a scar on Annika's soul and even then Annika couldn't bring herself to say a word.

"She is Tripti Martin, the girl I wish to spend my life with" declared Shivaay, avoiding the accusing eyes of his family. Everyone was silent, having no idea what to say.

"I request you to sign the divorce paper Annika, I have already done. We would be free from this cage soon" said Shivaay looking at Annika with same dead eyes. She picked up the papers, hands trembling. Her eyes teared more when she saw his sign over it, he really did want to leave her.

"I---I----"she couldn't bring herself to say a single word and ran away to their room, muffling her cries with her palm. Everyone looked at her sadly but knew better than to follow her.

"Bhaiya----" Rudra didn't knew what he want to say, he was angry, hurt, confused, sad all at one time. He wants to accuse his brother for breaking the heart of his best friend but he can never bring himself to do that. No matter what Shivaay was his eldest brother and he loved him more than anything.

He silently left the hall along with Priyanka and Dadi who was crying. This wasn't how anyone of them expected the day to turn. Shakti gave an accusing glare to Shivaay "That girl was waiting for you since morning; she didn't let anyone of us wish her because she wanted you to wish her first. She didn't ate anything because she was worried you didn't call. She didn't deserve this Shivaay. She deserve better than this. She deserve better than you."

He too left the hall not before glaring at Tripti as well. Pinki along with Jhanvi walked to him, placing her hand on Shivaay's shoulder she said in a low tone "For the first time you ashamed me of the fact that you are my Son Shivaay" her distress pierced Shivaay more than anything, his mother was always proud of him but seeing her eyes down in shame because of him was damn hurting.

But he needs to do this! He needs to do this for Annika, his wife. The girl he loves the most and will always do.

Omkara walked up to Shivaay and just said one simple sentence before walking away "You will regret this brother."

Lastly it was only Tej left in the hall along with Shivaay and Tripti. He walked toward Shivaay and very softly placed his hand over his head "I don't know Son why are you doing this; I also know this isn't real. You aren't like this and I know you love her. I also know you won't tell me the reason but I want to tell you this. No matter the reason you are making a mistake Shivaay. You only get one great girl in your life, you might have other good girls in your life but only one great girl that you will never forget for the rest of your life I Promise. Do not let that great girl go and do anything you can to keep her with you cause you'll regret letting her walk away."

He gave Shivaay a soft smile before walking away to his room. Tej always knew Shivaay better than anyone in the family and he was sure that this wasn't what Shivaay wants to do but he also knew he can't force Shivaay.

Meanwhile in the room, Annika cried and cried to the limit her eyes gave up. She internally chuckled at the irony of how a person can break her heart and yet she loves the same person with all the pieces.

She wanted to question him? Demand answers from him. Ask him was all she saw in his actions and eyes a lie? Ask him that every time he said those sweet words, were they forced? Yet she couldn't bring herself to do so. She couldn't bring herself to question the man she loves because she couldn't exercise her right over him.

The ringing of a caller tune broke Annika's cries; it was Shivaay's phone she knew because of the ringtone. Her eyes fell on his coat and she pulled out his phone from the pocket. She didn't want him to miss his work because of her; she already messed up his personal life she doesn't want to do the same to his professional life.

She looked at the caller ID and it was Mallika, he was still in contact with her, wondered Annika sadly. She knew she should give it to Shivaay but she couldn't afford to face him right now. So without a second thought she picked it up.

"What the fuck you are doing Monkey? My colleague just called me that you didn't take Annika to the Dreamcatcher. You ruined our surprise for her birthday didn't you? I knew you it, you always mess up. Did you at least take Annika to the dinner yesterday like planned? Leave all that where the fuck are you right now?"

Mallika said in a go highly pissed, don't know what and why a muffled cry left Annika's mouth listening to Mallika who immediately turned silent recognizing it. Annika was going to cut the call but Mallika interrupted "Hold on Annika, I know it's you. Look I know we aren't best of friends but something is off. Please just for once tell me what happened."

Annika was silent, she didn't know what to do or say? Neither could she bring herself to tell Mallika everything nor could cut the call.

"Annika please, trust me for once" requested Mallika and taking a deep breath Annika told everything to Mallika who after listening everything patiently burst out "That Gadha Monkey! Annika he is an idiot but I thought you were smart. How can you even fall for that pathetic acting of his? He doesn't love Tripti or anything. He can't love Tripti even if he wants to. Tripti is married, she has a wife. Her orientation is toward women. Her wife name is Angelia Martin, if you don't believe me I can even send you their wedding pictures."

"but----he said----"trailed off Annika, feeling overwhelmed with all the emotions. "Look Annika as much as I hate this, Shivaay loves you and only you. Come-on girl any random person can tell how much he adore you. I don't know why he is doing all this but this wasn't his surprise. He planned something else which I don't want to reveal because it should be Shivaay who should tell you this. He wants to spend his entire life with you Annika and trust me what he did today is not true. Knowing Shivaay even if He hasn't told you that he loves you, he is very much exhibiting about his feelings. Think about all the moments with him. Do you think they were a lie?"

Annika mind played a series of scenes in her mind of the various moments Shivaay confessed how much she means to him, when he said he can't let her go, when he said he can't see her with someone else, when he said he doesn't have romantic feelings for anyone but her.

"If you still don't believe me, check his phone. There is a video when you were drunk and he confessed that he loves you. You were shouting and telling this to every servant in the house that your husband loves you. Your drunk self couldn't have misjudged Annika" continued Mallika "and by the way his phone password is your name in numbers in case you don't know."

Annika with trembling hands did as Mallika asked, seeing the video her eyes teared more and more, the memories of that night rushed in her mind. He did love her than why? Why would he hurt her like this?

"Then why this?" asked Annika, her voice faltering due to the various emotions she was facing now. "I don't know Annika, I seriously don't. Neither can I ask this to Shivaay but you can. You are his wife and it's your right to demand answer from your husband" replied Mallika softly.

"But, how can I? You know he did-----"Mallika interrupted Annika "I know Annika, he did a lot for you and you have immense gratitude for him but for one minute think can you let Shivaay go just because you can't ask him the reason behind his act. I know the morals you are taught from your childhood adhere you to listen and bear everything your husband does but think for ones can you let Shivaay go for these ethics? What is more valuable? Your Ethics or your Shivaay?"

Annika was silent contemplating her words; can she go and exercise her right over him? Ask him questions behind his act even though this wasn't morally correct according to her upbringing? Accuse him even after all what he did for her?

"Even if it's wrong be wrong for once Annika. You won't regret. I broke all actual moral ground to get Shivaay when he was never mine, Can't you do the same? Especially when Shivaay actually belong to you?" asked Mallika, she really wanted them to mend things up. Shivaay was happy with Annika and Mallika knew he would be happy with only her. In a heavy voice she gave Annika her two options. "It's your choice Annika, Demand or Divorce?"

Taking a deep breath, Annika asked "What should I do?"

On the other side Tripti looked at a heartbroken Shivaay, he was already broken letting the girl he loves go adding to which he turned the bad one in the eyes of his own family.

"Are you sure Shivaay, Annika doesn't love you? That girl was so heartbroken" asked Tripti keeping her hand on his shoulder. She can't even fathom his pain, she don't want to even think about losing the love of her life, her wife, Angelia.

"Her Gratitude is so immense for me that she misunderstand her own feelings Tri, She deserve better than me" answered Shivaay, his eyes slightly falling on Annika who was coming to them adjusting her open hairs. He immediately stood up and hugged Tripti to keep his act.

Even after knowing the truth, Annika still didn't like any other woman in her husband's arms. Adding to which doing what Mallika asked her to do was terrifying. Yet for Shivaay she was ready to do anything, good or bad! She had made her choice, Shivaay is and will be above anything.

"So that's it" she paused giving a moment for Tripti and Shivaay to break apart "I'm just some stupid girl who meant nothing to you?" his blue eyes snapped to her.

"Yes" he swallows thickly as if the words were like sand papers grating his tongue "yes, you meant nothing to me, you never did." She knew he was lying, but that didn't made it hurt any less, he was her best friend, her husband, her everything and even if she try to ignore, his words pierce deep inside her.

Taking a deep breath, she did what Mallika was asking her to do from the Bluetooth stuck in her ear. She slapped him damn hard on his right cheek. More than Shivaay, she herself was surprised that she actually pulled this off.

"Ann-iikkaaa" words didn't form in Shivaay's mouth, did his beautiful, gorgeous, shy wife just slap him. The girl who didn't even raised her voice in front of him slapped him right into his face. And Damn! It actually hurts.

"So----What Annika?" Annika controlled herself from apologizing listening to Mallika from the other side "You don't get to decide when to marry me and when to leave me. I'm not a toy, you can throw away whenever you want" yelled Annika.

"I am your fucking wife--------"Annika was interjected by a flabbergasted Shivaay "Did you just curse Annika?" asked Shivaay. Shock would be an understatement, who is this girl? What did she do to his shy, soft speaking wife?

"Woo-----So what? You can do whatever you want and I can't even swear. Listen to me Mr. Shivaay Singh Oberoi, this marriage is a relationship between both of us so you don't get the single right to destroy it. I know you are doing this under some reason and I deserve to know that reason. Tell me the fucking reason behind this idiotic act for which you spoiled my birthday" she held his collar angrily.

"I told you the reason, I don't love you" replied Shivaay deadpan and although Mallika assured Annika that he was lying, she couldn't help her tears, the tiredness washed over her and her strength gave up. Truth or lie his words had the capacity of breaking her apart.

Holding his collar in her fist, she cried keeping her head over his chest "It's okay if you don't love me, it's okay if you love her" she pointed at Tripti "just don't send me away from you please Shivaay. If not a life partner than just make me a habit you can't leave" pleaded Annika, these were her words. She wasn't listening to what Mallika was saying anymore, she just let her heart out. She can't think of a life without Shivaay anymore.

Shivaay's strength broke seeing her beg him; his eyes reflected her tears, his hands unconsciously held her close to his chest wrapping around her. He did his best, best to let her go but now he can't. He can't take it anymore. Even if what he is doing is wrong and selfish, he can't see her breaking apart like this.

"You deserve better," he whispered, nuzzling into her hairs.

"that's what you don't get" she says, and she's exasperated. "I don't care if I deserve better because all I want is you."

He pull her more close to him if that was possible and she hid herself in his arms, a place where all her wounds heal automatically. She kept her ears over his heart listening to the faint heartbeat before whispering.

"There is nothing better than you Shivaay"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 296 15
In Petals of Passion, Madhav Ramakrishna and Shree Prasad's love story takes a turbulent turn when a misunderstanding tears them apart just before Sh...
3.2K 230 11
Is Marriage all about love ?? Karthik -Are you kidding me? How can you even ask me that? I'm stuck at a point from where there is no going back ...I...
124K 9.7K 63
Everything went well in her life until that night, when she lost her soul sister, whom she loved the most. That day she was broken by her family ruth...
21K 585 16
Love - The most beautiful feeling on earth Marriage - The sacred event by which two souls becomes one Life - A very big theater where we plays specif...