Moonlight House (Book 2, Lons...

By moudenes

Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes... More

Chapter 1 - The Club
Chapter 2 - Purple
Chapter 3 - Surprise
Chapter 4 - Flairtending
Chapter 5 - Roommates
Chapter 6 - Safe
Chapter 7 - Sommer
Chapter 8 - Glow
Chapter 9 - Chocolate
Chapter 10 - Damaged
Chapter 11 - Crush
Chapter 12 - Sous Chef
Chapter 13 - Imperfect
Chapter 14 - Tea
Chapter 15 - Key
Chapter 16 - Reasons
Chapter 17 - Compensation
Chapter 18 - Tried
Chapter 19 - Second Date
Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker
Chapter 21 - Red Blur
Chapter 22 - Birthday
Chapter 23 - Glass
Chapter 24 - Confessions
Chapter 25 - Dinner
Chapter 26 - Five
Chapter 27 - Grounded
Chapter 28 - Deli
Chapter 30 - Stitches
Chapter 31 - Back
Chapter 32 - Schedules
Chapter 33 - Movies
Chapter 34 - Truth
Chapter 35 - Next
Chapter 36 - Presents
Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy New Year
Chapter 38 - Flutters
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast
Chapter 41 - Stars
Chapter 42 - Empanadas
Chapter 43 - Braveheart
Chapter 44 - Fifty
Moonlight House - The Playlist

Chapter 29 - Pink

3.6K 217 41
By moudenes

RORY

Having my parents around has been great, but being able to share with them what's going on in my life has been amazing. Of course, they came to check on Adam, but we all need them. Spending time with them once per year is never enough. 

I moved permanently to Greenwood when Adam and Erin were traveling back and forth to college from Lonstino. I did call my parents occasionally to let everyone know I was still alive, but I was discovering myself at that time and needed to be on my own. Now, I've calmed down, even before Imogen came to live with me. No more party nights and waking up on the couch or bed of a stranger. I keep my parents a phone call away to help me with life's difficult decisions. A few days after Imogen moved in, I called Mom and had a long conversation with her about the situation and my feelings. As always, she listened and encouraged me to be a good friend and provide all the support necessary. I only never imagined that being a good friend would turn on being a sort of boyfriend.

Yesterday, Imogen asked me to accompany her to an ultrasound. I didn't know what to expect since I've not been at her previous appointments. Her doctor welcomed us and invited us to a dark examination room where Imogen got instructed to lie on a bed. I had to assist her as her belly is growing and she can't even see her feet anymore. The doctor explained that the purpose was to check that the baby had developed correctly by this stage.

"Would you like to know the sex of the baby?" She asked.

Even though I love that baby with all my heart because it's Imogen's, I didn't feel like I have a right to make any decisions. We have talked on occasion about how practical it would be to know to pick a theme for the nursery, but it was Imogen's choice.

"Yes, we want to know," Imogen caressed my cheek and I felt honored for being included.

The doctor moved the wand over Imogen's belly and explained to us what she was seeing.  It was like looking at a scrambled transmission on a TV, but she seemed to see enough details to let us know everything was in order. I was fascinated when she pointed at an area with her pen and I could distinguish tiny hands.

"And you guys are expecting... Don't move baby. I want a nice shot for Mommy and Daddy."

Imogen grinned at the assumption and I had to bite my lip to avoid shedding a few tears. Our relationship isn't defined and here I am pretending to be something that I actually desire.

"You are having a girl. No doubt there."

Imogen wiggled as she celebrated the news and beautiful images of a pink room swirled in my head. I can't wait to start preparing a room fit for a tiny lady. The first thing I did when the appointment was over was call my parents to share the good news. Their reaction was what I expected, the one of grandparents to be.

The celebration continued when they came to visit the club last night. They were here when we opened, but it wasn't as full and vibrant as nowadays. Matt and Erin's engagement was the second best news of the night and we celebrated as a family in a place that means so much to all of us. The cherry on the top of the happiness sundae was Erin and Noah performing a new original song they've been working at that had all clubbers dancing and singing along. When midnight approached, I invited Mom to be one of my special ladies during the flairtending show. She's never seen me in real action, only a few tricks I've shown her when we visit them. She got so into it that she downed her tequila shot in one go. I looked at Dad, who grimaced, because Mom can barely tolerate a beer before becoming tipsy, and then tries to make out with him, no matter where they are. 

I wish Adam was as open as us with his personal news. While doing the end of the evening cleaning, he told me that Claire has been staying some nights at his place to keep an eye on him. His pleasant mood tells me that they've been doing more than that. I asked him if she's his girlfriend and he shook his head, saying it's too early for that. It made me put things in perspective. I've known Imogen for two years, she definitely doesn't want anything to do with Duncan and we sleep in the same bed. She's my girlfriend and I should start referring to her as such.

Dad loved the club so much that he decided to come again today. We've been having quality time together while discussing my situation and he agrees with my approach of calling Imogen my girlfriend, but not formalizing anything regarding the baby until we know of Duncan's whereabouts. My phone vibrates and I see it's Imogen.

"Hey, Imogen!"

"DID YOU DO THIS? RORY THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL!" She shouts, making me laugh.

Mom took Imogen out for an early dinner after her shift to get to know each other better and continue celebrating. After the call with my parents, she was so excited that she went to buy clothes for the baby. Matt used the key I gave to Erin and brought the stuff to my place after we left for work this morning. I asked him if he could get a bouquet of roses for her along the way, and him being the excellent brother in law he is did it.

"It makes me happy to hear you so excited. Mom bought the baby clothes, the flowers are from me."

"She went crazy and that isn't a complaint. Everything is so pretty and pink! We had the best time at the restaurant and I'm stuffed," she laughs. "Oh, give me a moment, someone is knocking at the door... Duncan? What are you doing here?"

"Imogen, don't let him in!" I yell, but I'm not sure she can hear me.

"What is going on?" Dad asks, a scared look on his face.

"Duncan is at my apartment. I got to go."

I hurry out of the club and Dad follows. I keep my phone to my ear to assess the situation.

"We need to talk. Why did you go to the police? We could have sorted things out like we always do," I hear Duncan say.

"Because you don't have the right to hit me. Admit it, we want different things and our relationship stopped having a future a long time ago."

"Are you breaking up with me? I thought you loved me!"

"Don't you fucking dare to touch me!"

"What the fuck, Imogen? We used to be so good for each other!"

"You are drunk. Jeez, it's barely seven in the evening! Let me make you a cup of coffee and we can talk about this rationally."

"You are still pregnant. Why are you still pregnant?"

I'm almost at my building when I hear glass crashing. Normally it's a ten-minute walk at a lazy pace and at my current speed I should be there soon. I hope Imogen can stall him until I get there.

"I am. It's okay if you don't want anything to do with this baby. I know well that becoming a father was never in your plans. I will drop the charges so you can be free to do whatever you want, maybe meet someone-."

"But, I don't want anybody else. Okay... Okay... Let's do this. I will let you have the baby. We can give it up for adoption and then we can be happy again."

"Erin called the police... I will wait here... For them," Dad says and I see he also has a phone to his ear.

We reach the entrance of my building and instead of taking the elevator, I take the steps two at a time until I arrive to my floor. The door to my apartment is wide open and I can hear them talking. My heart races while I figure how to approach the situation. I think I can hear sirens in the distance, but maybe it's my hope or my imagination. Our neighbors don't seem to be home or are listening behind doors.

"Duncan, I don't want to resume our relationship. You know well that we are going nowhere as a couple. Fighting and yelling matches are not a sign of love."

"Don't make me do something I will regret."

"Duncan, you need to leave my home."

I walk inside the apartment slowly. Imogen stands in the kitchen, her phone in her hand. On the floor, I see a broken vase and pink roses strewn on the floor. He's drunk and looks messy, only half of his stained shirt is tucked in his jeans and he reeks.

"You heard Imogen. She doesn't want to be with you. Accept it with dignity and find happiness elsewhere."

"How could you do this to me?" He asks me and looks truly hurt. "You are a fucking traitor. Rory, I thought you were my friend. All this time, I thought you were keeping an eye on her for me. Keeping her safe from all those dicks at the club and here you are fucking my girlfriend."

The kitchen knives holder calls my attention and I move in front of it before he gets any ideas.

"Please, man. I haven't fucked her. She's been staying here because she doesn't want you to hurt her again."

"She deserved it, Rory. She wanted to leave me."

"YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!"

I have to stand between Imogen and Duncan, as she tries to take a go at him.

"Imogen, it's not worth it. Think about the baby. Leave!" I say to Duncan.

"How does it feel, Rory? Do you think you will ever be the dad of that kid? You can pretend, but you know it's not yours. Imogen is a whore."

I throw the first punch and make contact with his cheek. I know I'm an awful fighter, not helped by being so skinny, so my short success surprises me. Duncan comes back with a punch of his own and my jaw feels as if it has been turned upside down. 

"STOP THIS!" Imogen screams.

Another punch surprises me and I lose my balance as my head crashes against my liquor cabinet. I try to hold onto something but I fall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92 15 22
A Song of the Mind
159 3 32
Every king needs a queen Love over everything
112 24 12
Not everything is what it seems.
13.4K 172 18
18 year old Emily and her mom moves to a new city. She has to face new challenges by finding new friends, going to a new school and finding a job. A...