My True First [18+]

By Alwyn_Knighton

At the age of twenty, Liam Dupont has too much on his plate. After the death of his parents, he becomes the g... More

Author's Note
Liam & Sky
BOOK TRAILER
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
A Word from the Author

Chapter 63

9.2K 513 476
By Alwyn_Knighton

We spent the first two weeks of July enjoying our love and the Parisian blazing sun. Everyone tried to escape Paris in summer, but Liam and I relished everything it had to offer.

We took long walks in the parks, kissing in the shade of the trees, and sat by the Seine in the evening, dipping our feet in the water and talking about a million things.

Tim was at a soccer summer camp with his new team till August. Although Liam had to work, we still had enough time to spend together. When we weren't, we were training our dancers at the studio.

The showcase was the following day, and now, I was wrapping up the rehearsal with the four kids while Liam was dealing with an emergency at work.

"We wanted to thank you," Fleur said. "Even if we don't win tomorrow, what you and Liam did for us means a lot. It was like going back to when we were kids who enjoyed dancing."

"Absolutely," said Gaspar. "You and Liam are so cool and passionate about what you do. You could make loads of money, teaching people how to dance."

"Thank you." I laughed. "We only agreed because it's the four of you. I really think you can win tomorrow."

Fleur and Raphael hopped to their feet from the floor and rushed over to me.

"A collective hug?" Clara asked.

In an instant, I was sandwiched between the two girls, and then the guys joined us, laughing when I struggled to break free.

I said goodbye to my students and walked home. Liam would leave work late, and I wanted to surprise him with a romantic dinner.

As soon as I was in our apartment, I gathered my hair up in a ponytail and stood in front of the fridge, deciding what to cook.

Just like it usually happened, my mom chose that very moment to call me. I accepted the video chat request, and my heart sank when I saw her face.

"What happened?" I asked instead of a greeting.

Mom tried to smile, but she wouldn't fool me.

"Is it Dad?" I uttered.

Mom shook her head. "No, baby. He's okay, but we have problems."

"What problems?"

Mom sighed. "Sit somewhere, Sky. You won't like what I have to say."

I dragged my feet to the living room and lowered myself onto the couch, clutching the phone in my sweaty hands. 

"Your dad got us in trouble," Mom said.

"What do you mean? What trouble?"

Mom sniffled and wiped at her eyes. "Financial."

"Mom, tell me everything calmly, okay?"

Mom nodded and started to speak in a shaky voice, "You know he had been complaining about his pay for a while."

"I do, and?"

"And he did something very stupid, Sky. He invested our savings in something that turned out to be a scam."

"He what?" This time, I was the one whose voice trembled.

"The man promised him to double his investment. They seemed legit, had their website and an office, but it was all a lie. As soon as they got the money, they vanished. The worst thing is, he used everything we had, even your college fund. And he quit his job because they promised he would get a considerable amount every month, and then the final part in a year."

"My college fund? But you've been saving for ages."

Mom whispered, "I know. And I'm so angry with him for doing it behind my back. We might lose the house, Sky. We only have my salary now. Your grandparents have been helping us this past month—"

"Month? How long has it been going on?"

"Since May. We thought we could solve it, but we can't afford to hire a good lawyer. I'm sorry, baby, I called you because we need you to come home. I bought you a ticket for the day after tomorrow. I've had it for a while but didn't say anything to let you enjoy your friend's wedding."

"Tell me it's a joke. You want me to come home, and then what? My classes start in September. I won't be able to help you much in just a month."

"I mean a different thing. We cannot pay for your stay in Paris anymore. Your grandparents gave us money for you to finish the school year, but we can't do anything else. I'm so sorry."

"Why do you say you might lose the house? It was almost paid for."

I kept asking my mom questions, hoping that what she was saying wasn't true. There should have been a solution.

"We had to take out a loan to do repairs. Dad wanted to change things and thought we would have enough once we got money from that investment."

"And where have you been, Mom? How could you let him do it? He's always told me not to spend too much, and then this happens?"

"Sky, we really can't pay for your studies there. That's why I haven't transferred this month's money to your account yet. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do."

"Does Aunt Sam know? Maybe she can lend you a hand until you save for a lawyer."

"Dad talked to her yesterday, but Sam and Michael bought a house and are getting married. I'm looking for an extra job to pay the bills. Maybe you could, too, once you are here."

"Yeah."

"I emailed you the ticket."

"Did the two of you even think about me? I also have a life here. I have my friends and my studies. How am I supposed to leave everything behind like this? It's not fair!"

Mom sniffled again. "I'm sorry. I wish we didn't have to do it."

As soon as we hung up, I started sobbing. I refused to believe what my mother told me. I couldn't fathom how my father had been so careless and thoughtless.

And my heart broke when the reality sank in, and I understood what it meant for Liam and me. He was starting his online degree in September, the one that cost him everything he'd saved. Tim would be a part of the soccer team, and I... I had to leave them behind to help my reckless parents.

I had to leave behind my boyfriend and my future with him, breaking his heart.

Liam found me in bed where I'd cried all the tears I thought I was capable of crying.

"What happened?" he asked, lying down next to me. "Are you feeling bad, sweetheart? Why didn't you call me?"

"Something happened at home," I managed to say through the tears.

Liam kissed me, wrapping his arms around me. "Tell me."

I did. He kissed me again and stroked my back. "Okay. We're gonna look for a solution."

"I have to go back home, Liam. I need to get a job there to help my parents out. They might lose the house, and the grandparents can't do much."

Liam went quiet for a while. "I can pay for the apartment; it's not a big problem. I could talk to my boss since this building is the property of our company. I can delay studying my degree for a year, if they give me my money back, of course."

I sniffled. "No."

Liam laughed. "What do you mean? No, as in they won't give it back? Well, if they don't, I'll look for another solution. I could go there with you."

"You can't do it to Tim. He's got a chance at going pro. The boy doesn't deserve it. It's his dream, Liam."

"I know, Sky, but we're in deep shit, and I have to solve it."

"No, you don't." I cried again, shaking.

"Your classes start in September, baby. We don't have much time left. I need to think fast."

"Don't you understand that I'm leaving? I'm leaving Paris and moving back home the day after tomorrow. And you have nothing to solve because I cannot do it to you. You sacrificed everything first for your dad and then for your brother. You always put everyone first, but you have to think about you and your degree and your future."

"You are my future. What the hell are you even talking about? You moving there isn't a solution. It's not even an option."

"I have to do it. I have to help my parents the way you helped yours."

"Yes. Yes, I agree with that, but you can do it from here. You're not giving up your degree two years into it. It's insane. You've come too far to just drop out."

"I have the ticket," I muttered. "My mom bought it because she's known for months."

Liam grew quiet. "So, how is that supposed to work? We can do the long-distance, but we have to look for a way to fix the mess. How much do they need? Maybe I could... I don't know, take out a loan or—"

"Liam, I'm leaving."

Liam cupped my face with his palms. "No. You have your life here. Your degree and your best friend, and dances, and fuck, you have me— my brother and me. Leaving isn't an option, baby. We're both adults; we will figure something out. Your parents have to think better. Maybe a lawyer can take their case pro bono."

"I'm not letting you solve my mess for me; why don't you get it?"

"We are a couple. Your mess is mine, too."

"It's not."

Liam let out a shaky breath and spoke quietly, "Wait...are you breaking up with me?"

"I don't know how long it will take. I don't know when I can be back. I cannot make you wait for me."

"You don't love me, right? Is that the reason why?"

"How can you say that?"

Liam jumped off the bed and faced me. The pain on his face broke me.

"How the fuck can I not? You choose to leave me behind just like that after everything. You don't even try to fight for us. You've been afraid of telling me how you felt for months. We've been hiding like a pair of idiots, and for what? For this bullshit? For you to just pack your stuff and leave without saying goodbye to my brother or your best friend?"

"I don't have a choice!"

"There's always a choice! You can choose to stay here with me, but you don't want to. I changed, Sky. I decided to take a risk and give us a chance despite being scared. I told you I loved you, and I want to help you so that you don't have to leave. What else can I do?"

"You can't do anything. And I love you. I've only ever loved you, but I can't make you put the weight of everything on your shoulders again. It's not fair."

"It's my choice. If I choose to help you, it's my choice. Don't take it away from me. I'm a man, Sky, and I can deal with crap. I can find a solution; I just need some time to figure things out. I need more than a freaking day."

"I won't forgive myself if you put your life and your dreams on hold because of me."

Liam laughed, and it was the saddest sound ever. "And I can't fucking believe that you don't realize that my life and my dreams involve you. You know what? Pack. Go ahead and do it. Love isn't easy, Sky. Life isn't easy. And I thought you were brave. I thought you were a fighter. I didn't take you for a fucking coward."

The front door slammed shut. I started to pack my things.

Liam came back in the evening. His eyes looked red. He threw a glance at my open suitcase and cursed under his breath.

I slept alone in my bed for the first time in months, soaking my pillow with tears more than sleeping.

***

The morning of the showcase was sunny and hot as if it was trying to mock me. Us.

Liam and I stood backstage. Me in a long dress and him in a button-down and slacks. We were going to dance first. It was a last-minute change; they decided the teachers had to show their skills as well.

Our students wished us good luck. I failed to hold back the tears, looking at their happy smiling faces. I was leaving the love of my life behind, but I was also saying goodbye to dancing and so many other things that made me happy.

"We have to do out best," Liam said next to me. "No matter what's going on between us, it's not the kids' fault. It's the last time we will dance together. We might as well enjoy it."

I nodded, crying. Liam squeezed my hand gently.

He was still looking at me with love, and I knew I meant the world to him.

"For you, Mom," I heard Liam whisper before we stepped onto the stage.

I let him guide me. I felt his gentle hands on me. I relished his tender, encouraging smile, but he wouldn't fool me. The sadness in his eyes was unlike anything I'd seen. Liam was broken, and so was I.

But the crowd cheered, and our students smiled at us with gratitude and adoration, and we managed to forget that we would say goodbye to each other the following day during four blissful minutes, watching Gaspar, Raphael, Clara, and Fleur dance better than they ever did. They could win. And my heart ached because I wouldn't be in Paris by the time they knew if they did.

Liam didn't speak to me. He spent almost all day in his room. My suitcases were packed, and everything was ready, except for me.

I zipped up the last bag when Liam knocked on my door. He hadn't done that in months.

"Come in," I whispered, sitting on the bed.

Liam lowered himself onto the comforter next to me. "Everything ready, huh?"

I nodded. Then, my eyes landed on a package in his hands. "What's that?"

Liam's hand was shaking when he handed the box to me. "It's for you. My dad gave it to the love of his life. I'm giving it to mine."

It was a music box. A tiny ballerina in a pink tutu and golden pointe shoes twirled to the melody in front of the mirror.

"Thank you." I sobbed, hugging Liam to me. He was crying too, and without knowing how, we ended up in bed making love to each other.

"Don't go. Don't leave me," he whispered, placing desperate kisses on every inch of my naked skin within his reach. "I told you I would figure something out. I just need time, baby. Don't do something we will both regret."

I kissed him and touched him and told him that I loved him without reservations, the way I should have done from the start.

But I was leaving, anyway.

"I left a letter for Tim and Ellie at home," I said to Liam as we stood hugging each other at the airport. "And something for you."

"Thank you," Liam said, kissing my forehead and then my lips.

I wiped the tears off his cheeks and pressed my lips to his once more.

"You need to go," he said, squeezing me tighter.

I nodded. Liam took my face between his palms and touched his forehead to mine.

"I only ask for one thing," he whispered, trying and failing to keep his tears at bay. "Whoever the lucky bastard you choose is, I just hope...I hope he treats you right."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 732 42
18-year-old Ashley Whittemore returns to her hometown from New York after her father's death. She didn't want to but she had to - because the person...
255K 5K 32
#1 in couple 08/20/23 #3 in college 07/12/23 #3 in college romance 07/06/23 #2 in spicy 07/24/23 Emily Caldwell was a normal girl, living with her be...
3.3K 121 51
We all remember that first love. The one who we fell head over heels in love with who also destroyed us. When Emily meets Jay on her first day at the...
9.8K 956 154
DARKNESS BOOK 1 Stacey's quiet and sensible.. so everyone thinks. But when she meets Victor for the first time, will she finally try to move on, or w...