Faded

By Thatwaynegirl

After one mistake Skyler, Brandon, and Cassie face trials they never asked for. MIght old love overcome new... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Notice
Chapter 14
I. forgot my password
Chapter 15
chapter 16

Chapter 4

85 6 0
By Thatwaynegirl

It's like someone had pulled a rug right beneath his feet. Brandon isn't going to lie, he was caught off guard. He knew this was bound to happen, he just thought he would have known exactly how to react since it has been so long since their break up. But as she stood there, a couple of strides away from him, he can't seem to get himself to think clearly.

Was he supposed to just ignore her? Act freaking civil? God,either way seemed damn weird. How do you act when you see someone who holds a huge part of your past after a heartbreaking decision to end the relationship?

A slap on his back made him snap out of his trance. "Come on," Nichola said warily, ushering Brandon to the building.

Brandon sat through the meeting feeling the side of his face burn, internally cursing himself for being too hyper aware of those brown eyes that flickers to his direction every once in a while. After the meeting he could hear the hushed chatters.

"Isn't it awkward? You know, Cassie and Brandon?Ex lovers. Maybe they still have feelings; it's not like they ended badly. Could have a chance. "

"Why would they, especially Brandon? They've been broken up for years! Anyway he's already in a happy and healthy relationship."

"Wonder how Skyler would feel once she finds out they're going to have to work together again?"

"Yo shitheads, don't you have case reports to sort through?" Nicholas, bless him, walks past Brandon to scold the lot of Interns huddled by the coffee lounge.

Brandon clicked his tongue turning the other way to head for his office, deciding to avoid this nonsensical drama. He flopped down his leather clad office chair and dialed in her number to tell her the news. A lump had formed in his throat. It's not like he has much of a choice.

"Hey, this is Sky I'm probably in a meeting or something so just leave me a message after the beep."

He smiled to himself at just the mere sound of her voice, easing him a bit of whatever worries he had. Brandon sighd, leaning back propping his crossed ankles on his desk.

"Hey, baby. I forgot you did surgery around this time of the day, " he takes a deep breath, glancing at the clock on his desktop. "I just got out of the meeting and turns out, the bastard claims to be mentaly insane." Brandon wets his lips before he continues, "Lots of lawyers were called in because shits getting outta hand they want the they want all those involves to individually sue. I'm starting to think that the Judge is kind of corrupt. It's just," he closes his eyes, and leans his head against the headrest. "I'm going to have to work directly with Cassie and her client since they were together and their testimony needs to line up. I wanted you to hear it from me first if anything happens."

"I just don't want you to worry your pretty little head. I know how you get." he chuckles. "Well that's it, I'll see you at home, 'kay?" he mutters before pulling the phone away from his ear and ending the call.

Brandon unlocks his desktop computer with the intention to get through the few pending reports before going to bed. He stops for a short bit to admire his screensaver. It's a photograph of them the day she agreed to marry him. He was holding her, lips against her cheek, her eyes closed grinning at the camera, showing off the ring.

He laughs through his nose, remembering how she reacted that day. She was so surprised and he was so happy. He rarely catches her off guard because she knew him too damn well.

It took him weeks and weeks of preparation getting friends and family into his plan, finding the perfect timing and location and it was all so worth it. She is so worth it. He's never met anyone who made him this devoted.

Brandon had been in lots of relationships before, some he's not quite proud of, but no one else made his heart skip a beat the way that she did.

She's his person, the only one who made him think about mundane domestic shit and not want to drive himself off a cliff because of pressure. Before, the concept of marriage and having kids were ridiculous to him but now, he can't wait to build a family with her. Suddenly becoming the best lawyer no longer meant getting to the top, but instead making this goddamn shit hole a safer place for her to live in.

She is the love of his life and he'd do absolutely anything for her. Brandon snorts, thinking how a few years back the mere thought of saying or thinking such a thing would have him gagging. But here he is, absolutely smitten over a girl a foot shorter than him.

He shakes his head, a small grin stretching his lips.

Cassie can feel the lingering stares, she hears the whispers. She bites her lip realizing working on this case is going to be a pain if she doesn't at least make an effort to make things less awkward for her and Brandon especially having to work so directly.

After the meeting, she needed to stay with her colleagues in the conference room to further discuss the distribution of assignments. She frowns as she watches him leave. She's just going to have to find him later.

Brandon glances at the clock after he saved the last of his report. Cracking his neck, easing back on his seat, taking a power nap before it's time to head out. He was slowly drifting when a knock made him scowl.

"Fuck off, Nick." he grumbles.

"Um, no. It's me, Brand." her voice though muffled with the door being closed, brought back so many memories and some old feelings. Shit, he curses internally as he hears the door crack open.

Brandon sat up and watched Cassie let herself in. "Hi." She smiles shyly. Brandon nods in acknowledgement. It's so weird seeing her again, much more so having her talk to him directly after so long.

"What do you want, Cassie?" he asks, wincing a bit at how harsh he sounded. Cassie merely laughs though, completely used to his remarks. "Wow, we haven't seen each other in, what, 4? 5 years? And you still haven't changed a bit?"

Brandon's nostrils flared, the urge to roll his eyes was inevitable. "Not that it's any of your damn business, but I changed plenty." he leans back against his chair. "I'm just kidding, Brandon. I know you did." Cassie laughs.

"I hardly recognized you when I saw you earlier. Greeting your colleagues and Interns." she snickers. "Back then you would've just walked right past everyone. Barely sparing a glance."

Brandon's scowl faded. Well it's something he got from her. She was always so polite to everyone, fucking smiling and conversing with his interns and coworkers like she's known them her whole life. Eventually, it became weird to him that these people surrounding him are practically buddies with his fiance while he barely gave them a fraction of his attention.

"You look good, you seem happier." Cassie shrugs, smiling at him. "It's nice seeing you again. Well, you know, in person. I see you on Insta all the time, sometimes gossip sites. And those commercials of your families." Brandon shakes his head smiling back a little.

"I am in a pretty fucking good place now, thanks." he says confidently and after a bit, he admits. "And it's good seeing you again too, pinky."

"I just wanted to talk to you before this case, get the awkwardness out of the way." she quirks her lips to the side scratching her neck nervously. He nods gratefully. "Look, the past is the past. Just focus on the job, everything should be fine." he says. She blinks up at him, smiling wider. "That's great then, I'll see you tomorrow in the office." She offers a hand. He eyes it for a second before shaking it firmly. "See ya."

Cassie left Brandon's office with a smile on her lips and relief that there didn't seem any hard feelings left. After meeting Skyler she really did change him, Cassie thinks idly, a pang of jealousy rising in her.

The break up was painful, completely one sided, she recalls. Cassie was offered an opportunity overseas right after graduation. She's to skip interning and go straight into being a partner at her family law firm if she accepts the offer. The only downside was she would have to move to the other side of the country. To be completely honest, the pay beats all offers she had within the east coast. She didn't want to put him through the struggle of making a long distance relationship work so she decided to just rip the band aid off. They were still young, that's what she thought to herself. If it was meant to be, they'll find their way back to each other.

She remembered Brandon being distraught months after. Doing everything he could to reach her, get her back until one day, he just stopped. With a last drunken voice message, he tells her he was finally letting her go. That he'll stir clear from her path and let her be happy with her decision. She knew he was a man of his word, after that she barely came across him even in a professional setting when she eventually moved the firm to the coast.

Seems like Brandon worried over nothing, Cassie him and got along like old times, the malicious chatter and knowing looks died down, his relationship with Skyler remains as strong as ever she even told him she's completely fine with him staying at Charles while the investigations are ongoing.

On the day Brandon was supposed to leave for Charles and stay there for the entire duration of the case, I was honestly on the verge of changing my mind. I begged, well more like insisted on driving him there since he's carrying a bunch of stuff that he wouldn't be able to take with his motorcycle. On the drive, he kept my other hand in his, pulling it up to his lips every once in a while to kiss my fingers or knuckle which left me grinning to myself.

We arrived at the hotel at the crack of dawn, helping him unload his stuff when everything was in front of the building, tears started to brim my eyes.

"I'll miss you." My voice fell into a whisper. He sighs and pulls me into him by the hips. "I could still-" he starts but I shake my head vehemently. "No, just promise me you'll keep safe, eat right and take care of yourself?"

"Yes, ma'am." Brandon chuckles, catching my lips.

Cassie had gotten up about to head for the showers when she caught a glimpse of her and Brandon right outside her window. She smiles to herself when she reaches up to pinch Brandons cheeks.

"I'll be home as soon as I can, okay?" Cassie hears Brandon say before pressing his lips on her forehead. Cassie had to look away, feeling like staring at such a sweet exchange is an intrusion to something that's supposed to be intimate. But she couldn't. She finds herself glancing back. She knows she wasn't supposed to feel this way but she couldn't help but feel envious. Brandon never held her like that, or even looked at her that way before. It's as if his world gravitates around her, it probably does. Before Cassie could've helped herself, tears started to fill her eyes.

That should've been us, could've she corrected herself. That could have been her in his arms if she had stayed or even returned his calls when she left.

"I love you, Skyler."

Cassie's brows twitched up in surprise. How could he say it so easily? He never had before with her. No dumbass? Nerd? Or any teasing nickname?

But that wasn't what struck a nerve. It was when she said, "I love you more" the way he looked back at her with so much adoration that made tears fall freely down her own cheeks. Cassie had to force herself to not keep watching, the pain growing in her chest becoming unbearable. You left him, remember? You. Left. She painstakingly reminded herself.

The following days just got harder for Cassie. Seeing Brandon in the common area calling her the moment he got back from the office, hearing him laugh freely at the simplest stories when she told him about her day, watching him talk about her so comfortably with his interns who adored her. The more she denies still having feelings for Brandon, the more it intensified.

One night, after finding a breakthrough and finally being able to devise a plan to be executed in a few days, the chief of police and judge encouraged everyone to take a breather, to unwind before things get busy with the press and locking the bastard up.

The interns ordered and cooked food while Nick and Tony bought drinks. While everybody is enjoying the night, Cassie was drinking her heart out, if anyone asks, she tells them she just missed beer.

It would be a big fat lie though. She hated it, the taste, the smell, but she loved that with every bottle, the numbness she yearns dulls the growing ache in her chest.

"Hey, what are you doing?!" Cassie jumps a little when a strong grip stops her wrist as she reaches for another bottle from the chest. When she looked up, she's met with concerned blue orbs. For a split second, disappointment washes over her.

She scoffs a laugh slurring, "Getting another drink. What does it look like, Nick?" she hiccups almost stumbling over, if it weren't for the red head. Nick frowns to himself thinking only one possible reason why Cassie would be acting like this. "Oh boy, come on. I think you've had enough. Let's go."

She sighs but allows herself to be towed along. She stares longingly at Brandon who's by the table with a bunch of interns, laughing and yelling over drinks. He's so different. She thought. He's everything she wanted him to be then. And now that he is that person, but he belongs to someone else.

"Nicolas?" she looks up at him as he helps her to the staircase. "Do you think Brandon ever really loved me?" The question took the man by surprise but he was soon overtook by anger.

"Listen, you weren't here to see the mess you've made him when you left. Remember that you're the one who left. He wouldn't have been so broken if he didn't love you." he says, grunting as he lifts her up the last steps. Nick is helping her to bed when he notices tears streaming down her face, his scowl now fading.

"He's really happy now and you will be too." he says, wiping her cheeks with the pads of his fingers and tucking her to bed. "Get some rest, you'll feel better in the morning." he says before leaving her room.

Cassie tried she really tried to, but the spinning and the tears leaking from her eyes just won't stop.

"I win, assholes!" Brandons voice booms followed by hollers and cheers as he sets his bottle down. "Eat shit! Tony" He laughs at the blonde who challenged and lost to him in a drinking contest.

"Fuck." he mutters shaking his head vigorously swaying. "I'm done. See you losers, tomorrow." he waves off.

"Shit, I still gotta call Skyler." he mutters to himself holding his middle finger up when the group let out some wolf whistles.

Brandon grabs his phone calling Skyler as he makes his way to his room but it goes to voicemail. He had to stop leaning against the wall to check his message as the alcohol takes its toll on him. Why on earth did he indulge Tony in a drinking contest, is a mystery to him.

Baby, I need to cover a shift for Savannah. Call you as soon as I can.

He sighs after reading her text. Lately, the two just keep missing each other. But that's what he gets for loving a dedicated person who loves doing what they do.

Brandon grins dialing her number again. When the beep ends, he slurs, "Dummy you better not be overworking yourself or I will have to fuckin' punish you once I get home." he chuckles, swaying forward. He curses as he catches himself. "Let me know if you're too tired to drive home tomorrow once you get off work so I can ask Erick or Jason to pick you up after your shift?" he mumbles.

He was about to end the call when a thud at the end of the hallway made him turn. He blinked, scrubbing his eyes, fighting off his heavy lids.

"Cassie?" he asks, eyeing the figure on the floor. "The hell are you doing on the floor??"

Cassie rolled to the side looking up at Brandon. She grinned sheepishly holding up the bottle of liquor she managed to get from the kitchen. "I was going to take this to my room," she hiccups, "But the walls won't stop spinning."

Brandon frowned at her shaking his head before helping her up. "Since when do you drink, idiot?" he asks, looping her arm over his shoulder both of them stumbling down the hallway. "Since tonight." she answers, eyes falling to the side of Brandon's face longingly.

Brandon doesn't respond and just keeps dragging her until they reach her room. Once they get there, he helps her to bed holding out his hand for the bottle Cassie was still holding. "Gimme that, dumbass. You won't be needing anymore of that." he says gruffly.

She eyes it for a second before doing the exact opposite of what he asked. Twisting the cap open taking a huge gulp, sputtering when it was suddenly taken from her.

"What the fuck, Cass?!" he yells.

A dry laugh bubbles out of her, Brandon just stares at her like she'd grown another head. After a while the laughter turned into bitter tears. Finally she says, "It's been so long since you last called me that."

Brandon frowns at her. "Whatever, I'm leaving. Go to sleep." he says turning around. Before he could reach the door, Cassie threw herself on him, arms wounding tightly around his waist. He was taken aback when she started trembling, hot tears damping his shirt, her face pressing harder on his back.

"I'm so so sorry for what I did." she whimpers. "I-I shouldn't have left you."

He stood there for a second, reliving the days after he got abandoned like some unwanted toy. But then a small smile stretches his lips. He pulled free from her embrace turning to face her, his heart broke a little. This woman was someone who once held his heart, his first love. He took a deep breath wiping her tears.

"We talked about this already, right?" he says softly. "The past is the past." he gave her a small smile though he was briefly reminded of the pain he felt after she left. "Besides, if I hadn't gone through what I had when you left, I wouldn't have met Skyler."

Cassie felt her heart shattering further. "I was so stupid." she says defeatedly. Brandon watches her face redden as more tears fill her doe eyes. Before Brandon realizes it, he's grabbing the bottle, putting it to his lips. He winces as the alcohol burns it's way down to his stomach.

"You did what you had to do. It was stupid of me anyway to try to hold you back from a damn amazing opportunity." Brandon shrugs, hating how this conversation is ripping the years old stitches from his heart. Cassie shakes her head, sinking on the carpeted floor hugging her knees to her chest.

"There was never a day that I didn't think about you." she admits. "I thought, I'd come home and we'll find our way back to each other. That's what we've always said, right?" Brandon swallows the lump that formed in his throat. Shit, he curses internally.

He took a seat beside her on the floor handing her the bottle. Brandon watches Cassie down the hard liquor, tears leaking from her eyes as it squeezes shut.

"We we're so fucking young." Brandon laughs dryly. "We both promised things we couldn't keep."

Cassie sobs, handing Brandon the bottle back, downing a couple of chugs as well. "Brandon?" she says softly, when he looks down at her, Cassie reaches for his face.

"I'm glad you found your happiness." She says God knows she tries to mean it.

Brandon smirks touching the hand she placed on his cheek. "You'll find yours too, that I'm sure of" he says.

Cassie highly doubts that. Not when she's seeing the only man she's ever loved smile her favorite smile of his while belonging to someone else.

"I can't believe I let you go." she murmurs mostly to herself, losing coherency as she stares at those all too familiar blue orbs.

Maybe it was the alcohol.

Maybe it was the feelings she tries so hard to keep buried, the past years unraveling right now. But before Cassie could stop herself she was leaning closer, his lips were the only thing she could focus on.

Brandon swallows hard as she leans closer. He wants to pull back but his mind and body were too numb to react the way he wanted to.

Maybe it was the alcohol.

Maybe it was the familiarity of her lips. Maybe he still had an ounce of love for her.

Maybe he should have left when he could.

But he didn't. Brandon was kissing her back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

399 6 17
Reid shrugged. "I mean, you can't keep looking for the person that you were, because you're different now. You lost someone who was really important...
182 0 10
Cassie, a 30 year old female who has her life together, finds herself unexpectedly questioning what she wants in life, and who she wants. She has a...
6.3K 502 15
Two individuals who are polar opposites of one another. "You are a pain in my eyes, Sunny." Find each other in the most unexpected times. But as tim...
13.2K 467 26
she found solace in her silence. he found comfort in his anger. they were just two lost souls crashing, colliding, and melding into one. ✗ extended s...