What Deceit Looks Like | ✓

By lau_matthews

Cassidy Jane Edison. Las Vegas native. Con artist. Twenty-five. Ridiculously poor. Takes goods from people. M... More

author's note
epigraph
01: cassidy
02: cassidy
03: cassidy
04: maddox
05: cassidy
06: cassidy
07: cassidy
08: maddox
09: cassidy
10: cassidy
11: cassidy
12: Maddox
13: cassidy
14: cassidy
15: cassidy
16: maddox
17: cassidy
18: cassidy
19: cassidy
20: maddox
21: cassidy
23: cassidy
24: maddox
25: cassidy
26: cassidy
27: cassidy
28: cassidy
29: maddox
30: cassidy
31: cassidy
32: maddox
33: cassidy
34: cassidy
35: cassidy
epilogue
Book four!

22: cassidy

1K 59 2
By lau_matthews

Maddox had grown more relaxed the closer we got to Boston. He's at ease here, happier, but there is a sadness in his eyes that he can't hide. I know it is because of Paige. They met and fell in love here.

He's bouncing Owen on his knee, carefully holding onto him, smiling when he lets out a gurgle. We got here an hour ago, and I wasn't entirely surprised that Charlie is hesitant of me. I am after all dating her dead sister's fiancé. Nick has been friendly.

"Maddox, he's going to spit up on you," Charlie warns smiling.

"You're just jealous because he's going to say my name as his first word, Charlotte." Maddox rebuts and Nick snorts.

"Okay you two, if he says anything it's going to be Dadda, right bub?"

I've mostly been observing them all interact because if my life as a con-artist has taught me anything, it's that you can learn more listening than talking. "How old is he?" I ask, motioning to Owen. Maddox's smile stays on his face when he looks over at me.

"He turned eleven months a week ago," Nick explains, "It's become a race to see what his first word will be: Momma or Dadda. But I guess Maddox is in the running now too."

"I think the x at the end of your name is a little challenging for him," I tease Maddox, and Charlie's face lights up.

"See Maddy! Even your girlfriend agrees that it won't be your name."

Maddy?

I guess there is a look of confusion on my face because Nick leans over to explain it as they argue, "Charlie's real name is Charlotte, but she doesn't like going by it. Maddox likes to push her buttons, so in return she calls him Maddy."

"Huh, makes sense I guess." I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say to that.

Nick rolls his eyes, "Not really, they're being childish, but it's good for them to knock each other down a few pegs."

My mouth quirks upwards into a smile, "I think I'd have to agree with you on that."

Maddox brings Owen up into a standing position, "Owen, can you say Maddy? Maddy?"

Owen giggles in response and tries to grab Maddox's nose, instead of saying his name. My heart melts a little bit watching the encounter. "Okay bubba, I think it's time for someone's nap," Charlie coos. Maddox reluctantly hands Owen over.

But as soon as Owen leaves Maddox's arms, Owen sniffles and Nick flinches. "Oh no. Right on cue."

Owen lets out a loud wail, and I almost want to cover my ears with how piercing it is. "Shit, I'm so sorry. Here I can put him down for his nap if you want?" Maddox offers while Charlie tries to soothe Owen.

She hands him over without argument, "You get to change his diaper too."

When Owen blinks and notices that Maddox is holding him again, he stops crying. "Shit," He giggles and the room falls silent. "Shit," Owen repeats, trying to grab Maddox's nose again.

'Oh that is definitely not good,' I think to myself as Charlie's jaw hangs open. She turns to look at Nick, and points at Owen. "Was his first word..."

"Shit?"

Maddox tries to hold in his laughter, but he fails miserably, "I'm so sorry, but I think I'm going to go put him down for his nap now."

Charlie collapses on the couch, and has a stunned look on her face.

I choose to stay quiet because I have absolutely no idea on what I'm supposed to say in this scenario. I really don't want Maddox to go but he's already gone when Nick bursts into laughter that has him almost doubled over. "Charlie, I told you to stop cursing around him. He's certainly your kid."

Her face flames red, "Excuse me, Mr. I stubbed my toe."

I snicker using my hand to cover my mouth, "You could always pretend Owen didn't say shit, and whatever word he says next is his first word?" It's a solution they could try and judging Charlie's look, I think it's a pretty good option.

"Shit is a pretty damn good first word," Nick grins proudly letting Charlie's comment go.

Charlie grabs the nearest thing and throws a pillow at Nick. Except it's a pillow, so it obviously does not hurt him and only results in furthering his laughter. "It's not funny, Nick." She tries to scold, but her smile cracks through and she joins her husband in laughing.

I glance at the hallway, almost wishing that Maddox was still in the room because I'm not comfortable enough with them for him to leave me alone with Charlie and Nick. They're nice people and are clearly important to him, I just don't know what safe topics are.

Nick tries to steady his breathing as he relaxes back into the couch again, "You know you can laugh right? We aren't the kind of people you need to tiptoe around if our kid saying shit didn't prove that already."

"I know, I just don't want to intrude on a moment." I say, and Charlie smiles genuinely at me.

"I promise you that you aren't interrupting anything. I'm glad that Maddox brought you, even if he did teach our kid to say shit."

I let out a chuckle because it was pretty funny. "I'm happy to be here. You guys are really important to him."

Charlie's eyes grow sad and she nods, still smiling, "I should go check on Maddox and Owen. I'll be back."

"I'm sorry about that, it's hard for us to see someone else with Maddox," Nick apologizes once Charlie is out of earshot.

"I understand, don't worry about it." I smile reassuringly at him because it is okay. I can't imagine if my brother had been old enough to get married before he died, and then his ex-fiancee had brought her new boyfriend to my house? Maybe this trip was a mistake...

"We are very happy you're here, it's just an adjustment period."

"Please, its okay. Really. I can't imagine what you guys have been through." I insist tucking my hair behind my ear. An awkward silence falls over us, and I have no idea what to say. I let my eyes linger on the stairs that Maddox and Charlie both disappeared up, and I wish that Maddox would come back.

Nick coughs, and I avert my attention back to him, "Sorry, I had a tickle in my throat." He apologizes, and I nod smiling.

A few more seconds tick by. "So what do you do for a living?" I ask, trying to start some form of conversation. Anything is better than the silence.

He smiles, relieved for some form of conversation. "Well after finishing out my service obligation, I got a job at consulting firm. Worked my way up to a project leader, and I'm set to get another promotion soon. What do you do?"

"I'm a bartender."

Nick's eyes light up, "So does that mean that next time we're in New York we can come get free booze from you?"

I smile genuinely, "I might be able to work something out with John. I can't promise any top-shelf liquor though."

"Sounds great. We'll have to make another trip down soon," He says, just as Maddox and Charlie start heading down the steps, much to my relief.

"Charlotte, I promise you that me saying it once was not going to cause it to be his first word," Maddox tries to reason, and she huffs.

"Well Maddie, I'm blaming you because you swore in front of my child, and then he said shit!" She exclaims, moving quickly.

He rolls his eyes, running a hand through his hair. "I know you and Nick, and there is no way that's the first time he's heard it."

"Nick, can you please back me up against this insufferable jerk?" Charlie asks, making a dramatic drop onto the couch, while Maddox sits next to me.

Nick puts his hands up, "I am staying out of this one guys. Cass, a word of advice, never take a side with these two or its sudden death."

"You'll have a great time sleeping on the couch if you don't agree with your wife?" Charlie adds sweetly, and Nick grimaces.

"Oh come on you weakling. I know you've slept worse places than this couch," Maddox counters, resting his arm on the couch behind me.

Charlie smiles triumphantly at Maddox, "Suck it Maddy."

This time I can't help but laugh because they're truly acting like children. Their friendship is comical, and I can see why he sees them like his family. They are his family.

"I swear Maddox is the brother I never asked for! Does your family act like this?" She asks me, and I try not to let my face falter.

"I guess not. They can't because they've all passed?" I try to say it nonchalantly, but there's really no way to put it. I don't want to outright say that they're all dead because it feels insensitive.

Maddox's hand brushes against my shoulder, and I play with the charm bracelet on my wrist. Dad got it for me on my last birthday before he died. I hardly ever take it off.

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea," Charlie apologizes quickly, and I shake my head.

"No, it's okay. Like you said, you didn't know, so no hard feelings." I shrug it off because she's definitely not the first person to ask about my family. Hell, this almost feels like deja vu with Maddox after meeting Hayes and Sephine, and they asked about my family.

Nick looks at me now with more understanding, and I turn to glance at Maddox who is smiling supportively at me. "So I actually had a few places I wanted to show Cassidy. Is it okay if we head out for a bit?"

"You don't need to ask for our permission," Nick chuckles, and everyone moves to stand up.

Charlie hugs Maddox, despite just yelling at him, and I'm not even surprised. She seems a little crazy, but in a good way I guess?

"We'll be back for dinner so if you could make your baked mac n cheese, I think I will be a very happy man."

She rolls her eyes but nods, and Nick's eyes light up at the thought of her food. Maddox tests her one step further by ruffling Charlie's hair, but she just laughs and combs it the correct way. "Have fun guys, just call us if you need us to bail you out of jail."

Maddox intertwines our hands, and leads me towards the front entrance where he grabs car keys off a hook. "Are you ready to explore Boston with me?" He asks, smiling down at me.

"Let's go."

*********

He hasn't let go of my hand once, pulling me from spot to spot, and I don't mind. I like seeing this side of Maddox. It's almost like he's a little kid again. "Oh, we have to stop here, they have the best sandwiches in the city," He says, drifting towards the door and I pull him back.

"I know I don't know Charlie very well, but I do know that you made a request for her to make something for dinner. If you're full from the sandwich shop, she might actually kill you." I warn, causing Maddox to turn and grin at me.

"I don't know if you know this about me, but I like to live a little on the wild side," He teases, dragging me into the store behind him. I do have to admit that the smells coming from inside the shop are mouthwatering.

Maddox insisted we split a sandwich, and I couldn't deny that it tasted just as good as it smelled. "How did you find this place?" I ask, before taking another bite. It's a hole in the wall restaurant that I never would have pegged him at.

"Paige introduced me to it before a huge test one day. I stop in every time I'm back because it's tradition now, but this is my lucky sandwich." He holds it up, letting a piece of lettuce fall onto the paper we're using as a plate.

Maddox's eyes are bright today. Brighter than normal. It's almost like being here has made him come alive into the shadow of the person he used to be.

I'm envious because I don't have anything to hold onto for who I used to be, other than my charm bracelet. I was a kid when my dad and Ty died. I had no idea who I was when I left home, and maybe I still don't.

But with Maddox everything feels right. I feel like I can figure out who I am, and what I'm meant to be when I'm with him. But that doesn't include deceiving him any longer. I don't care what Dean said. Maddox doesn't deserve to be lied to, even if it means losing him by telling him the truth.

I've been quiet for too long, and Maddox stares curiously at me, tilting his head to the side as he chews. "Everything okay?" He asks softly.

"Actually, no. I've been lying to you. I'm not who you think I am."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

440 88 37
A one night stand in Las Vegas turns into a lot more without your understanding what will happen when you play along and get to know one another will...
3K 953 64
Sarah, cheated on by her fiance, vows never to love again until she meets Henry and this vow is put to the test. Meet Sarah Suarez, a talented young...
154 37 10
My journey through life, though seemingly effortless, is far from it. As an eighteen-year-old heiress of not one, but two crazy rich families, the we...
168K 6.5K 55
In 2021 the world as we know it changed. The government collapsed, and the worst characteristics of human nature were shown as the world fell into ru...