Bloodbound

By ot5ismyhome

The Maximoff twins life was going smoothly until they accidentally stumbled upon a secret of night life. They... More

Authors Note
Introduction
1. The Interview
2. It calls for a celebration
3. 4th of July
5. Howard Stark?
6. Creature of the Night
7. Graze with Death
8. Starks know how to throw a party
9. Broken Trust
10. Troubled Waters
11. Council of Five
12. Psychic connection
13. The Good, The Bad and The Rebel
14. Rebirth
15. Night of the lost ones
16. White wolf
17. Is this the real life?
18. Preparing for the dark
19. Baby, here we go again
20. The hearing
21. Vulture
22. Spy of the Night
23. Natalia Romanova
24. Allies and Strangers
25. Too soon, too late
26. Closure
Epilogue

4. The Inventor

35 4 2
By ot5ismyhome

I'm so happy that this story has reached more than 100 reads. Thanks for coming back for every chapter updates.

*****

It had been a year since Wanda started working for Rogers Innovative. The other staffs have been kind and friendly, especially Howard. That man tends to get little too friendly sometimes. The first day they met he had flirted relentlessly. She had walked into the lab to meet the master mind behind the inventions. She saw a man bent over small whirring cuffs. When she called out, he got startled. "Fuck" he shouted. It was followed by an apology, "Sorry. You startled me." After a pause he added, "May I know who you are beautiful?"

"The woman who decides whether your inventions are worth or not" chided Wanda.

"Oh, let me make your work simple then" he smiled playfully "Meet Howard Collins, the famous mind behind The Rodgers Innovative. I'm the reason this company is still going" he boasted. "Where are my manners? It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance..."

"Wanda Maximoff"

"Wanda" he repeated.

"It was nice meeting you" she smiled. After a pause she added "I got to get going. Got the whole building to see."

"I could accompany you to make sure you don't get lost"

"That's very cheesy. Which century are you from?" she laughed as she turned to leave.

"Hey" he called back to her. When she turned, he put on a charismatic smirk and added, "How you doin'?

"I guess good" shrugged Wanda with a playful smile.

As she closed the door, she heard him muttering to himself, "You're losing your charm, Howard."

Wanda liked the scientist's intelligence and sass. They got along really well give that they have to work together most of the time. Even though she used to get Howard's plans and papers at her desk, she likes to hang out at his lab helping him frame ideas and driving him towards the outcome. They became good friends as time passed.

The usual stack of blueprints didn't reach her desk at 10 in the morning. She thought of going to the lab and collecting it herself but decided to wait for a good measure of fifteen minutes. She coordinated the setting up of conference room for the meeting in afternoon. She revised Steve's schedule for the upcoming week. Time passed but there was no sign of anyone bringing the material. So, she got up to go down to the lab by herself. Since she had frequented the lab many times, she knew the route like the back of her hand. She walked out of her office to the elevator. Her mind had been preoccupied that she collided with someone coming out of the lift. She looked up to see Steve. She apologised, "I'm so sorry, Steve"

"No problem. I too should have looked. Sorry." Steve gave a strained smile and made his way to his room. Wanda mentally scolded herself for not paying attention and entered the lift. She pressed the floor button for the lab.

She walked into the lab and called out, "Hey Howard. The papers didn't reach my desk in the morning. I came to collect it myself"

"It's nice seeing you too"

"Where the papers?" she asked. "I have lot of work today. No time to chat."

"Over there. On the desk." He pointed to the desk next to the coffee maker

"Thanks, and bye" smiled Wanda as she collected the papers and left the lab.

Back at her table, Wanda set to work quickly. She planned to catch up with the lost time. She didn't notice the time passing. She was engulfed by her work. She went through every blueprint that Howard provided. Some inventions would change the world as we know it. Some would destroy whole civilizations in mere seconds. She wondered what would happen if everything was created unchecked. There is chemical formula for gases that would make humans go mad with thirst for war. There are plans to build perpetual machines, if that's even possible. There are times she though she will go crazy by looking at his ideas. There was so much power that letting it go unchecked will lead to problems. No wonder Steve emphasised the importance of her job she thought to herself.

The door to Wanda's office flew open suddenly. In the entry stood Howard. Wanda jumped a bit by the sudden intruder. When she recognized who it was, she grew angry. Who the hell does he think to just barge into my office like this she thought. But the look on Howard's face reduced her anger. He looked worried and panicked. She had never seen him like this before

"Howard, what happened? Are you feeling well?"

"I misplaced a script in that stack. I just came to collect it" he said urgently.

"Anyway, I have to see all your plans so no problem" she shrugged.

"No, no, no. This is different... uh... hmm... I haven't finished it yet." He fiddled with the hem of his shirt.

Wanda narrowed her eyes at him trying to figure out the truthfulness behind his statement. She knew he was hiding something but she can't quite point of what. Certainly, he was worried about something. The Howard she knew wasn't like this. She collected the pile of papers in her desk and handed it to him. He combed through the papers and returned all the papers to her. "My mistake. It's not here... Anyway, thanks Wand" he muttered. He left as quickly as he had come in.

She thought to see him later and confirm whether he was alright. She resumed her work. The rest of the day was uneventful. She was almost done for the day when she noticed a small photo near the leg of the table. It was worn out photo of child. Maybe this belonged to Howard. Maybe this is what he was searching for she thought to herself. Why does he have to lie about a child's photo? He could have told the truth she thought. Wanda decided to return it to Howard. Since it was already late, she got her coat and bag and locked her office and went down to the lab.

She was waiting for the elevator to open when Steve's office door opened and he walked out. When his eyes met Wanda's, his face lit into a warm smile.

"Leaving for the night?"

"Yeah. Is there any work left?"

"Nah. Want to grab something to eat?" Steve said as he closed his office door and walked towards her.

"Sure, Steve. I have to see Howard. Can I meet you in the parking lot?"

"Sure"

Wanda got off in Research and Development floor while Steve rode to the basement. Wanda entered the lab. She saw Howard bent over the table. He rested his chin on his hands and was staring at his laptop. Wanda cleared her throat to get his attention. Seeing her, he jumped to his feet and closed his laptop. The man still seemed different. The confidence Howard persona was missing. He was fiddling his fingers and shifted from one foot to another. Wanda extended the photo towards him. He raised his eyebrows quizzically before registering what it was.

"I think it belong to you. It was near-"

As Howard's hand touched her fingers while getting the photo, the lab around Wanda blurred. She was unable to focus. It was like the lab was dissociating around her. The surrounding came into her focus but the place was new to her. She had never been there before. The walls were painted light yellow colour and the room was dimly lit. She was standing in a kitchen. Where am I? What is happening? Wanda panicked.

The house had a pleasant atmosphere but it seemed strange to Wanda. She had no idea how she got here. One minute, she was standing in Howard's lab and the next she was here. She searched the room to find Howard holding a small baby in his arm. He was singing softly lulling the baby to sleep. There was certainly something different about him.

"Howard" she called.

He looked up. For a second, she thought he heard her but he simply got up and walked towards the living room. She followed him. He put the baby in the cradle went to the next room. On the bed a very thin weak woman was lying. She looked fragile. Howard sat at the corner of the bed. He softly laid his hand on hers. She opened her eyes and looked at him. She gave a small strained smile as though she is in pain. He kissed her on the cheek.

"How are you feeling now, love?"

"Better" she smiled but her voice was strained.

"Is Tony asleep?"

"Just now"

"Look after him"

"Shhh. You need rest. Don't talk. Sleep now"

She nodded. Suddenly her face contorted as she had a fit of coughs. Howard panicked. He tried to comfort her. He looked around for her. He said he will be back with doctor and ran out. Wanda looked at the woman and then at Howard. She saw him take his coat from the coat hanger and run out of the house.

Wanda needed answers. He was the only one she knew. She wanted to know what is happening. She ran behind him. But before she could follow him outside, the door closed. The room vanished. She was back to the lab and so was Howard. She was still holding the photo in her hand. He quickly reclined from her without taking the photo. The look on his face was of horror and sadness. His eyes were red with tears. She wasn't sure whether he was angry or sad. He too might have seen what she saw. She started to panic not knowing what to do. As she apologised and got near him, he took a step back. She stopped and placed the photo on the table. She kept repeating she was sorry even though she had no idea why she was apologizing.

*****

Thanks for reading. Please leave a vote and comment if you liked the chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.7K 2K 37
Olivia Barton has been living a secret life without even knowing, when she meets a certain teacher it all starts to unravel and fall apart but she fo...
19.2K 517 16
They were sisters, Twins, most commonly known as the Jackson Twins. They attended a university for gifted and talented, their names known by every st...
1.1K 38 20
A bunch of random stories about our favourite heroes, fun, angst and all around childish shenanigans. Honestly it's probably gonna be mostly Bucky ×...