Henrietta

By Ortiz-Novels

Henrietta serves the riches and cruelest man in all of Theodosia. After having lost his wife during child bir... More

Copyright © 2015 by Mara L. Ortiz
~Prologue~
Ettie
Mother Figure
To Encourage
Interviews
Unfair
Bewitched
Confused
Farewell
Accused
Escape
Rain and Sunshine
Kiddnapped
The Hole
Negotiations
The Truth Unfolds
Betrayed
Recovery
The Curse
Answers
The Plan
Now or Never
To Love
~Epilogue~

The Old Farm

28.1K 1.3K 101
By Ortiz-Novels

~Chapter Seventeen~

The large old farm came into view at long last and Ettie could not contain the excitement building inside her chest. She wished the horse would move faster, but to her disappointment, it simply trotted over the small hill following the long dirt road that led to it. The grass had grown where crop had once been, even the bright brown wood had now disheveled into worn and old boards as her eyes took in the vast view before her. There were neither hens, nor cows, nor any other animal in sight, there was nothing there. The old barn had been abandoned! Her heart sank and it was then that she pleaded with Luther to move his horse faster.

The animal began to gallop towards the old barn and once it stopped, she quickly slipped from Luther's arms and hit the ground with a loud thud. Her feet moved quickly past the large worn out doors that barely hung by its hinges. With her heart hammering out of control Ettie screamed out for Henry but there was no reply.

"Ettie, be careful, this barn is not stable!" Luther shouted out to her.

He followed her inside as her eyes searched the large barn hoping to see anything move.

"Henry! It's me Ettie, please darling, answer me!" she called out.

Luther took hold of her arm as she reached for a disheveled ladder and tugged her away from it.

"No, can't you see the condition it is in? You will plunge down to your death." He hissed.

"I have to, I need to see if he's up there." She protested.

"There is nothing up there, and if there was I fail to think Henry would be the one." He argued.

"Luther..." Ettie began to explain.

A cough broke through the silence and it made them both freeze.

"Henry!" she called out again.

Ettie reached for the ladder that went up high to the attic of the barn but Luther stopped her before she could put a foot on it.

"I'll go you wait down here." He protested.

"Please, please be careful." She begged.

He nodded and took a deep breath before letting it out sharply. He studied the ladder for a few more seconds before he put one foot over it and gently pushed himself upward. The ladder protested as he reached the opening of the small hole on the roof.

"Well?" Ettie asked from far down.

"It is immensely dark up here." Luther replied.

"Henry! Henry it's me Ettie!" she called out again.

Luther's boots disappeared into the dark hole in the ceiling and Ettie clutched her hands tightly together, waiting to hear what would happen next. A faint shuffling was heard and then his footsteps stopped. Tears pooled on the rim of her waterline as she gazed up hoping for a miracle as Luther began to walk again.

"Please be here, please be alright." She whispered.

Behind her, the galloping of a horse distracted her as she turned to see the dust rising and entering through the large crack of the doors.

***

Calvin stopped his horse beside the old barn and spotted another horse just outside. His feet hit the ground and he moved quietly trying not to make any noise as he neared the large doors. His heart palpitated in a thunderous rhythm while sweat began to form on his brow. He reached for the door and pushed it open. There she stood, almost like a ghost from his dreams as the stern look on his face vanished only to be replaced by relief. Their eyes met and Ettie opened her mouth to speak only to have sudden pieces of wood come crashing down on her.

Calvin felt his hearing vanish as his eyes grew wide and his feet moved towards the calamity over her. He felt her name leave his lips in a thunderous scream as he reached the broken pieces of wood and began to throw them aside. A high pitch noise ringed in his ears as he reached her, her face covered by her long brown hair. Pulling her out Calvin brushed the hair from her face only to see blood trickle from her nose and mouth. His legs gave out as he stumbled with her backward and landed on the ground in a loud thud.

She was suddenly taken from his arms as he watched Luther lift her into his very own embrace and dart out. At his feet, Calvin watched in sudden awe his son quiver in a small ball tears pouring from the lads eyes. Calvin sat frozen on the floor as he turned to watch Luther vanish out the barn with Ettie in his arms. Pushing forward he reached for his son and lifted him up as Calvin tried to find his feet. Staggering out of the barn, he watched the large cloud of dust rise as Luther's horse galloped away faster than the wind itself. Mounting his very own stallion Calvin knew his warhorse could outrun Luther's as he kicked its side and ran after them.

His horse let out deep huffs as it quickly reached Luther's black stallion. Calvin made certain to hold Henry tightly to him as the poor boy clutched onto his father for dear life.

"Hold on to me." Calvin said to Henry.

The boy whimpered and his small hands squeezed as hard as they could around his father's neck while he rested his head over his broad shoulder.

"I want Ettie, where is my mother." Henry wept in a weary and damaged voice.

Calvin's chest constricted and he forgot to breathe as he heard Henry weep for Ettie and claim her his mother.

His eyes locked on her long flowing hair as her head dipped back, her eyes closed as blood still oozed from her lips.

"Luther!" Calvin snapped out.

Luther turned over his shoulder as a glare covered his features, his stubbornness clearly shown as he kept pushing his horse faster. Reaching his side Calvin locked gazes with his brother.

"Stop!" Calvin commanded.

Luther shook his head and kept moving faster as Calvin reached for his brother's collar and yanked him backward. The horse came to a horrid halt as it stood on his back legs and threw Luther off. Calving reached for Ettie before she could slip from the horses back and retrieved her into his embrace. He pulled hard on the harness as his horse too came to stop.

He demanded that the horse steer towards a large pasture and slowly lower itself so that Calvin could climb carefully off.

Laying Henry on his coat, he tended to Ettie who began to cough and groan in pain. He reached for her and took her face into his large hands as his thumbs wiped the trail of blood her mouth had spilled.

"Henrietta, please, please be alright." Calvin whispered.

His forehead met hers and she failed to open her eyes. Her quivering body stopped moving and Calvin felt his heart sink as she exhaled and her chest constricted.

"Ettie?" he whispered.

He pulled her into his arms, her head gently coming to rest on his chest as he shook her once again. There was no sign of life in her as he took her face into his hands and called out to her again. Calvin felt the ugly truth overshadow him as a tear a slipped from his eye to see her lay lifeless in his arms.

"Please." He whispered. Calvin vision blurred terribly as tears spilled from him, tears he had failed to shed nearly seven years ago. His mouth met hers in a shaky and soft kiss and his lips coated with her blood. They tasted of iron as he pressed his mouth there lingering his lips to hers.

"I love you."

The confession left his lips in a shaky and whispery voice as tears spilled from his eyes unto her tainted red cheek. Everything ached as Calvin held Ettie tightly to him, rocking back in forth as his despair began to grow.

"This is all my fault, if only I had listened." He muttered.

A sudden uproar echoed through the large pasture as Calvin turned over his shoulder to find Luther staggering to his feet. Retrieving his sword from his sheath, he charged at Calvin full speed once their eyes met. Blood trickled in a straight line down the side of his face as an open wound oozed.

"Stop!" Calvin called out.

Luther lifted his weapon and Calvin turned from him holding Ettie tightly to him. The sharp blow of the sword ripped through his vest, past his white shirt and sunk deep into his shoulder blade in a horizontal cut on his back.

"Get up and fight me!" Luther sneered.

A painful groan escaped Calvin and it turned into a growl under his breath as he held on tighter to Ettie. Just then, a shuttering intake of breath entered her body and Calvin froze to feel the warmth of her breath hit his neck. Her chest began to heave and he gently laid her unto the floor and stood feeling a bit weak.

"Nothing good will come of this." Calvin said to Luther.

Luther wiped the blood from his face and pointed his sword at Calvin giving little care to his words.

"Then to the death it is, whoever is left standing claims Henrietta, and Henry as their son." Luther bargained.

"Get your horse and walk away...now." Calvin sneered.

Luther gave Calvin no choice as he swung his sword and attack him. Calvin retreated a few steps and drew his sword as well skillfully blocking every angry blow Luther threw his way.

"You think you can claim dominion over everything don't you? Lydia was mine before you came along and that child you also claim as yours has my blood running through its veins." Luther barked out.

Calvin growled as he returned the blows and used his feet to kick Luther down unto the ground. He rolled away before the sword could come down on him. The clouds gathered into a much large one as the sun was blocked and drizzling water began to fall. The wind began to blow as well and leaves lifted into the air adding an all too dramatic scene as two brothers fought one another in anger and hate.

Luther plunged forward tackling Calvin down as his sword flew from his grasp. Thrashing him Luther let out his anger on Calvin as his fists rained down hard. His eyes blazed a murderous glare as his hands wrapped around his neck. The air left Calvin as he thought of a way to throw Luther off him without completely hurting him. Rotating them Calvin managed to break free from his brother's death grip and fought to catch his breath as Luther rolled away and got to his feet. The rain came down harder, lighting crackling and popping above them as Calvin watched Luther raise his sword over his head.

Calvin reached for his double edge sword, and as lightning struck a nearby tree igniting it on fire his blade penetrated Luther's shoulder. Rising to his feet, he pulled the silver sharp blade from his brothers wound and watched as he tumbled to the floor.

Rain fell down unto his back giving Calvin a slight sting on his open wounds. His face was a bloody mess as water soaked him wet and scattered his dark hair in all directions. He heaved for breath as he watched Luther hold his shoulder in pain.

He could not kill him although he hated him, and so crouching down he took his sword and threw it far off into the distance.

"Let this be the last time is see your face." Calvin said.

He turned from Luther, lifted his son and Ettie unto his horse, and galloped away, finally at peace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 22 23
h.s. [au] Kassie was enjoying the last few days of her summer break at the beach with her boyfriend and best friends then going back to school for he...
103 11 11
Tossed out of the fire into a rabbit hole of distorted memories and a strange man who took her hand in marriage, a young woman tries to escape the lo...
276 2 29
Kayleigh is a bitter woman. She works late as a forensic psychologist every day, hardly sees her children, and seeks revenge on the people who wronge...
134 20 21
Emelia Kraven once believed that the death of her husband to the plague meant the loss of love and being loved ever again. For a time, the ambassador...