Henrietta

By Ortiz-Novels

Henrietta serves the riches and cruelest man in all of Theodosia. After having lost his wife during child bir... More

Copyright © 2015 by Mara L. Ortiz
~Prologue~
Ettie
Mother Figure
To Encourage
Interviews
Unfair
Bewitched
Confused
Farewell
Accused
Escape
Rain and Sunshine
The Hole
Negotiations
The Truth Unfolds
Betrayed
The Old Farm
Recovery
The Curse
Answers
The Plan
Now or Never
To Love
~Epilogue~

Kiddnapped

28.2K 1.3K 81
By Ortiz-Novels

~Chapter Twelve~

He stood near the elongated windowpane with a letter in his hands, his eyes slowly took in every word. Calvin's brow furrowed and his lips frowned, he was without a doubt confused. Had another man taken possession of his father? The words written in the confession did not sound like Henry Potent at all. With each written word he felt his chest grow tight. The words written on the letter made him feel out of place. It stood against everything his father had ever taught him.

My Eldest Son,

I have lived a long life, but alas, as I near my deathbed I have realized one thing. While looking back at my success I came to discover that I missed the most important thing dearest to me. My family. Calvin, do not live your life like a brute man, do not be afraid to lavish your family with love and affection. Forget what I taught you in life, forget it all. The truth is no one will ever admire nor look upon you with such love and respect other than your spouse. Love conquers all my son, I leave this as my last request, and I beg of thee to forgive me for being the beast of a man I was. Do not be like me, do not believe that storing your emotions will help you be a man. A real man looks after his family, works hard, and earns money by the sweat of his brow, but most of all he is a man when he learns how to love. So I say to you my eldest son, I love you and always have, please look after your family. If ever a second chance should cross your path, grasp at it and hold on to it forever. Respect and admire the woman who bares you a child, the one that sleeps next to you and wears the symbol of union upon her finger, for she will be that shoulder you lean on when all is said and done.

Sincerely, Your Father,

Henry Alabaster Potent.

Calvin closed his eyes and gave a light sigh, his father must have been delusional in his state of death. Nevertheless, he stored the letter away in his bureau and slipped out of his study. The sun had yet to rise and he cared little for the time as he descended the stairs to his mansion and climbed his horse once again. After realizing that the search for his son alone would not do, Calvin called in a favor from the General of the Army himself. The men were forbidden to speak of what had occurred and if they dared to utter a word, he would see to it personally that they'd be punished.

He pushed his horse onward and began the journey towards the city once again; keeping in mind that now he had four more aids to help him look. Although his mind was focused on his son, in the far back of it laid her soft complexions, her blue eyes, and the scent of purple orchids she carried. Henrietta managed to take from him what he thought had died a long time ago. His heart. No one, not even his first wife had succeeded in earning his love. Calvin understood now more than ever how enchanted he had become by her, and he could not fight just how he felt. Yet the pain of never being able to have her tore through him, as he understood it. He knew very well
He did not deserve her.

He had brought harm and pain into her life. Above all Calvin had pushed her even farther away when he had told her he hated her. Regret overcame him as he thought about that night, he had left her with an injured arm for the entire night. In his anger he wanted her to hurt like he had been hurting for the past six years. What he hadn't grasped at was that she had been trying to help him in his pain.

He was a beast, a horrible heartless beast.

Yet how could he be in love with someone who drove him insane, who broke him and shattered every bit of his brute and prideful self? Calvin chose to give it little thought as he placed the cloak over his head and held the lamp to see through the night. For now all he wanted to do at the moment was finally find his son and bring him back home.

***

It was still a few hours until sunrise, but Ettie cared little for sleep as she nestled against the hard wood of the wagon she rode on. She had waited for the rain to stop and once it had finally vanished, she continued her journey towards the old farm. Along the way, a nice elderly couple had offered to give her some room in their old wagon. She was glad for the offer and quietly climbed into the back. They had been nice enough to offer her a few boiled eggs, and a small scarf to cover herself.

She was only a day away, Ettie could feel it, as bits and parts of the woods soon begun to look familiar to her. Wrapping her arms around her body tightly she looked up at the stars and prayed to the heaven's to keep Henry safe. Ettie had asked herself just what would she do if Henry was not there. She tried preparing herself for the bad news but as much as she wanted to console herself and take the blow beforehand, she could not. It was a battle that constantly took place in her head. At times, she tried to keep a positive side but the negativeness would not give her the satisfaction.

Henrietta felt the wagon come to a halt and she sat up trying to make herself look proper enough. The old couple had been kind enough to give her a lift and she was deeply grateful. When sudden shouts erupted, she felt her blood drain as thieves suddenly washed over them like animals. Ettie scrambled to her feet but was quickly pushed down unto the wagon feeling the hot sting of a headache quickly form. The man's hands fumbled about searching her for any possessions but of course, she had none. Pulled off the wagon she watched in horror how the old man was beaten and toppled to the ground. His wife wept in fear as she was knelt beside him while Ettie was shoved to face them.

A massive frame quickly enveloped her as the masked thief grabbed a hand full of her hair and stretched her neck out. A silver sharp blade was placed against her neck and Ettie struggle to breathe as he pressed her against him. He smelled of wild pines and dirt, his musk clearly carrying the scent of the woods.

"Looks like you carry nothing worthy to steal but your daughter, be on your way or I will slit her throat if you refuse." He threatened.

"Go." Ettie managed to choke out.

The man yanked at her hair and she cried out in pain as the old couple quickly stood from the ground tongue-tied. The wagon quickly raised a large cloud of dust as it vanished within seconds. Ettie watched in relief the old couple managed to get away but fear still consumed her as she felt the sharp knife slowly nip her throat.

"What do we have here?" the man said.

He spun Ettie around and eyed her, his emerald eyes holding a horrific resemblance to that of Master Potent.

"Please, let me go," she managed to beg.

The man gave a hard laughter and pulled the scarf from around his mouth off. His smile, his hair, even those eyes reminded her of the beast she had escaped. She trembled in fear as he inched closer to her, his eyes inspecting her closely, taking in her every feature.

"I think you will do just fine." He muttered.

"You took the last three, I want to have this one!" another snapped.

The short stout man reached for her gown and Ettie screamed in horror as the material tore. The taller man quickly yanked her back against him and she wept as she watched the man sniff the piece of her cloth and pocketed it.

"It isn't fair you get all the maidens Luther, we contribute to this cause as much as you do." The other snapped.

"I am the leader of this gang, the best of the bounty goes to me," he said.

The short stout man scoffed as the rest quickly turned to head back into the woods. He dragged her along next to him, his hand taking a firm grip much like Calvin's, and Ettie shuttered from the memory. She lifted her gaze towards him again and could not help but wonder as her mouth spoke the words before she could stop them.

"Luther...as in Luther Potent." She said.

He paused in his long strides and looked down to her as Ettie shyly averted her gaze elsewhere.

"How do you know that?" he asked, in a hushed tone.

Ettie shook her head and Luther inspected her closely. He said nothing else as he urged Ettie to keep walking, but before they could reach his horse, he stopped in his strides and pushed her towards a tree. His face came close to hers and Ettie stiffed as his lips brushed her ear.

"Speak of this to no one, nor try to use it against me." He sneered.

Her eyes widen as he pulled away, a much younger face but nonetheless it was almost the spitting image of Calvin.

"Luther come on, you can have your way with her once we get back to the hole." One shouted.

He growled under his breath as he finally pulled all the way out and tugged her along with him. She was blindfolded and bound, before being thrown over Luther's horse. He nestled her against him, wrapping an arm over her stomach so that she did not fall. Ettie could not cry, she could not even begin to think of the coincidence as the horse began to tug along.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.4K 1.6K 28
Venus, the demon of love, owns Cassandra's soul. Considering where Cassie was before Venus entered her life, she doesn't much mind being a slave to a...
1K 98 16
It was just a joke. I wanted to give her one last 'fuck you' before she got married to the guy I always wanted. How in the fuck did that lead to her...
831 63 31
When his desire is all you have... Serena loved Darien at first sight, but she discovered that he only married her to save her father's company. She...
1.1K 74 33
BOOK 1 OF HENRIETTA TRILOGY. TO BE EDITED. *** I was a young boy who wished nothing but to be loved. But one day, as I was reminiscing a memory of my...