Henrietta

By Ortiz-Novels

Henrietta serves the riches and cruelest man in all of Theodosia. After having lost his wife during child bir... More

Copyright © 2015 by Mara L. Ortiz
~Prologue~
Mother Figure
To Encourage
Interviews
Unfair
Bewitched
Confused
Farewell
Accused
Escape
Rain and Sunshine
Kiddnapped
The Hole
Negotiations
The Truth Unfolds
Betrayed
The Old Farm
Recovery
The Curse
Answers
The Plan
Now or Never
To Love
~Epilogue~

Ettie

42.8K 1.6K 173
By Ortiz-Novels

~Chapter One~

Ettie collected the laundry in her arms placing them into a large hamper. Master Potent had asked that his favorite bespoke black suit be placed to launder, which she had yet to get. The era for dyeing fabric a dissimilar shade had developed vastly in Theodosia. However, only the rich were able to go to a tailor to ask for such luxurious material. Ettie was not knowledgeable on this and neither cared; she simply admired the soft and silky texture of his clothing.

She never dared to think beyond what his clothes covered. Lord prevent her from pondering such carnal thoughts. Instead, she envied her Master for having the wealth to buy any material he desired. In the future, she wished to have money to flee Theodosia in search of something much superior. The rich dwelled and inhabited these great lands.

The poor were left to rot in the alleys and streets, never acknowledge by the higher class. The men turned into thieves, joining the growing gang of Mercenaries that wondered the woods to feed their starving families. It was well predicted what women had to become to stay alive. If it had not been for that fortunate day she met Lady Lydia in the market, Ettie was certain she would have labored for pitiless men. She inwardly quivered to think that her existence might have ended if it had not been for Master Potent's wife.

Although Lady Lydia's husband was a cold and cruel Master, Ettie felt privileged to live as a servant in his mansion. As the Master's hard stare slithered into her thought's Ettie felt a small jolt of fear quiver in the center of her chest. Closing the door gradually she hurried in her footsteps to reach the first floor as she ascended from the laundry room. She used her left hip to hold the hamper in place as she walked through the hall, past the door, and into the foyer. Ettie averted her gaze as the chilling presence of Mrs. Sally, the head mistress, suddenly entered the large spherical hall. She felt her cheeks blush as she averted her gaze and quickly walked past her towards the bowed stairs.

Please ignore my presence just this once, Ettie thought.

"I would like to acknowledge that what you hold in your arms is the last of Master Potent's clothes," Mrs. Sally said aloud.

Squeezing her eyes tight, Ettie gripped hard on the hamper cursing her luck. She hesitated mid step and forced her feet to turn to where Mrs. Sally stood. Her eyes locked on the old woman's brown leather high button boots, slowly trailing them upwards. She wore a dominating black dress, buttoned up to her neck, covering every inch of her pasty white skin. Ettie feared to gaze into her fading grey eyes. Her eyes held such a frightening aura, it always made Ettie think Mrs. Sally could see into her soul.

"Henrietta!"

Ettie flinched at the sharp tone of Mrs. Sally's voice, making her heart give a twinge. She fought to find her tongue to form a reply that would satisfy Mrs. Sally, but found it difficult to talk.

"I swear girl, every day your mind seems to drift father and father away. Get your head out of the clouds and into your work, and when I am talking to you pay attention," she hissed.

"Yes, ma'am, I understand," Ettie managed to mutter.

Mrs. Sally stared down at Ettie for a moment longer, her hard and brooding stare burning a hole into Ettie's' reddened face. With a scoff and her nose to the air, the old woman marched on to her duties. Ettie felt her grip loosen on the hamper, and her shoulders obeyed her command to stand down. All she desired now was to forget the awful words Mrs. Sally had said. Swallowing her anger Ettie reminded herself that Mrs. Sally was not to blame for the strict mood she often carried as a burden.

To be in control of Potent Keeps maintenance would put anyone on edge, especially if you served the cruelest of all men in Theodosia. Her anger suddenly vanished and the weight of feeling a grudge lifted from her shoulders. Henrietta trudged up the elegant marbled steps, straight towards Master Potent's chambers.

"Ettie, I need you, please!" She stopped, afraid she had miss heard the call. Standing still, the weeping of the young master came once again and in a fit of fear, she dropped the hamper in her arms. Rushing fleetly to his call, Ettie felt her heart leap of fear as she reached the end of the hall and turned left. Crashing into another house cleaner she stuttered her apologies and stood to reach Henry's door. Her hand shook and her body quivered as she gripped the handle and pushed the door open.

"Stay where you are, do not come near my son, I must teach him a lesson!" The master sneered. Her gaze lowered not certain if she would be able to stand watching poor Henry's father give him a lashing for misbehaving yet again. Her cheeks blushed bright pink as she dared to lift her gaze to stare at the poor boy in tears. Her tongue danced with the urge to speak as Master Potent reached for Henry's little arm. The man looked like a lion ready to devour his prey and she felt her lip quiver for dread of him.

"Master Potent, please, if I may." She found herself interfering.

"I said stay where you are, you dare speak out of term!" He snapped. She shook from the force of his voice; the authority in it frightened and captured her in a stiff position.

"Forgive me," she whispered in a quiver. His eyes blazed as he released Henry's arm and marched to where she was. Henrietta felt her stomach coil in fear as she lowered her head down. The pure dominating presence of Master Potent made her panic for her life.

"I have little patience for blubbering fools like you. I demand you leave my sight at one," Master Potent sneered.

"You are a brute father, how dare you!" Henry suddenly exclaimed. Henry was only six yet she knew he thought much more maturely for his age, for she had been the one to raise him since his very birth. There was potential in the small child and although his father was a brute and a sour man, she knew he had inherited his father's charm and intelligence. Ettie dared to meet her Master's gaze and inwardly shivered to see a glare in return. He was far taller than she, looming over her while staring her down.

His hair laid perfectly combed back without any applicator to tame it. He held chiseled and handsome features that would make any woman swoon, except for Ettie. Over the years, she had learned to see past those virtuous exteriors to the real man who ruled Potent Keep. She had never dared nosed in on his affairs but she was certain women fell to his feet much like his income. Ettie soon snapped out of her thoughts when she felt the young master's hand wrap around hers in a firm grip.

Averting her gaze from Master Potent, she realized he was lashing out on both but she had never caught a single word he had said. Her only hope was that he did not notice she had trailed off again. To make certain, her eyes lifted to meet his penetrating emerald gaze and she felt a hint of something stir at the center of her chest.

This man frightens me, she thought, as she ripped her gaze away.

"Give me the boy," he commanded.

Ettie saw Henry's bravery as he lifted his chin and took a step forward towards his father. For a hesitant moment, she coveted to reach out to stop him but kept her hands tucked behind her back. One day she wished to have his bravery, and stand up against brute men such as Master Potent.

"Please, forgive me father, I am only a boy, I did not mean to ruin the gardeners flowers," he muttered.

His little light brown head hung in shame as he stared at his father from under his lashes. Meanwhile Ettie held her breath as she watched her Master's cold stern glare turn suddenly soft. Something she had seen many times only when he looked upon his son. He sighed and knelt to eye level with Henry, his large hands covering his as he looked down to them.

"I never, and let me make myself clear, never want to see you do anything wicked with these hands. The good Lord blessed you with these to raise a family one day, and be a hard working man, an honest man," he whispered.

Henry nodded and quickly embraced his father as Ettie saw once again the callous swine turn soft for his son. It was something she cherished unknowingly, she did not know why, perhaps because he never smiled.

"Go on now, but be certain not to make any more mayhem," he said.

Henry smiled brightly and at times, it made Ettie wonder if the Master ever held a resemblance to that of his son's smile. Master Potent stood and Ettie awaited his command as he let out a heavy sight.

"Escort my son to the gardener, and make certain he apologizes for the foul thing he did, servant," Master Potent suddenly said. Ettie snapped out of her thoughts and nodded as she offered her hand to Henry.

"Her name is Henrietta," Henry defended.

Master Potent's reply was a press of his lips and a nod as Ettie gave the lads had a small squeeze. Henry gave a sigh as they walked out into the large hall and out the back door in search of the gardener.

"Father refuses to learn your name, I've told him many times," Henry growled under his breath.

"Pay no mind to it Henry; I fail to see why he should bother with such things," Ettie chuckled.

"What man is imprudent not to remember an outlandish and striking name such as yours?" he questioned.

"At times I wonder if you were heaven-sent," she sighed.

They reached the outside and Henry quickly hopped off the large cement stairs counting them as he went down each one. Ettie listened attentively to his bickering as she slowly descended the stairs as well. It was through the lad that she had learned to count to twenty and she was certain that with time she would learn so much more. House cleaners were not allowed to know how to read, write, nor count, much less try. It was custom in Theodosia that such laws stay in tacked.

However, beyond the borders of the large country laid a different land, one she heard women had a future other than cooking and cleaning for higher class. The men and woman had a greater prosperity, but her chances of ever leaving Theodosia where slim to none. She had heard the stories from the maids spreading rumors about it in the assembly room at night, they whispered of a land of freedom. Ettie had heard the name once but had failed to remember it, much less recall how you managed to cross the border without being caught.

"Look Henrietta, a flower for you," Henry suddenly said.

"It's lovely Master Henry," she chuckled.

"Henry, not master, I'm only six years old," he argued.

"Yes, I know, but one day you will have to take your father's place, and be the Master of this house," she said.

"Not yet I think, I still have so much more to learn," he replied.

"Yes of course you do, now come with me we must find Mr. Ferguson and apologize to him," she whispered.

"I know, but at that moment, I was so angry, I really did not mean to ruin his hard work." She stared at the small child bewildered by his charisma and intelligence as she led him towards the old man bent over near a bush.

"I've come to apologize for ruining your flowers, please take this apology as a debt I will someday owe you," Henry said.

The gardener looked up and sighed as he pulled off his dirty gloves and ran a hand through his white hair.

"Do not fret little master, after all, it is I who works for you," he replied.

"Still it gives me no right to do what I did, will you accept my apology?" he asked. Mr. Ferguson nodded and smiled as he reached out his hand to grasp Henry's small one in his.

"Thank you," Henry chuckled.

Ettie took him under the crook of her arm and led him back inside where Henry proceeded to sit in his own study and settle behind a massive large desk. His tutor, Mr. Horace came every afternoon to give him classes, seeing that the Master had much to handle in the morning with his plantation. He never missed a class, making certain his son got the education he needed. Just in time, the door opened and his heavy footsteps vibrated all over the floor, up her feet and into the center of her chest. The air soon reeked of his manly musk, his scent a wild spring and pine.

She inhaled it and again her chest tightened to know his presence loomed over her, although he stood several feet away. Ettie furrowed her brown and fisted her hands behind her, wanting to forget the fear this man inflicted upon her. Educated in a small farm her father had long ago died, and her mother had remarried moving far away with a duke. Although her mother had been fortunate and remarried, under the circumstances that she was a widow, she had longed forgotten she had a daughter. Leaving Ettie to mend for herself, it was in the large market where she had met Lady Lydia.

Starved and craved for food she had dared taken a small pluck of grape from her basket. Fear had entered her once the master had caught her and it was Lady Lydia whom had shown compassion upon her. In the end, she offered Ettie a chance to live under her roof to serve as a house cleaner. A faint smile reached Henrietta's lips to recall such a memory, and deep down she was truly grateful for such a bold and beautiful woman such as Lady Lydia.

She crossed a few vegetable stands and try as she may she failed to hold her hunger under control.

Ettie tugged at the burlap cloth over her head to hide her face to avoid being seen. Her eyes lifted to the heavens and she prayed to the higher power to help her although she was about to commit thievery. Settling behind a small onion stand, she swept her eyes over the market, looking for her mark. When a bright shade of pink grasped her attention Ettie admired the woman strolling lovingly with a tall and broad man. She did not need to know how to tailor in order acknowledge that the material had cost a fortune.

She set her eyes over the large basket dangling on the woman's arms and a round and supple fruit caught Henrietta's attention. Her mouth watered at the sight of the delicious purple coin size grape. She had heard from many peasants roaming the market that grapes were by far the most expensive and delicious fruit to eat in Theodosia. Her feet moved of her own accord and Ettie approached the woman quietly. Pretending to look over a few rotten stands of vegetables, she made certain to stay several feet behind them.

The basket began to grow ever closer as she focused her sight on the small round grape calling out to her. Her arm extended, her breath hitched, and it was when she grasped the small fruit delicately that a pair of ocean green eyes leered at her. Ettie plucked the grape only to drop it on the ground, and in attempt to flee a painful grip wrapped around her arm.

"Thief, you dare steal from me?" a harsh voice said. Ettie tumbled to the ground as a punitive blow came to land on her cheek, tainting it scarlet.

"I am capable of handling my own troubles," the other man sneered.

"Pardon, Sir Potent, I was merely trying..."

"Give me the whip, I shall teach this peasant a lesson she will never forget."

Henrietta tugged her arm to flee but the man had a solid hold on her. Her heart soared as she attempted once again to pull away, but he merely tugged her tighter. Ettie lifted her eyes to stare into a harden gaze, sneering at her. She flinched frightened as the whip raised high into the sun.

"Calvin, stop, please...she was merely hungry, what would you have done in her situation," a gentle voice intervened.

"Lydia, you dare interfere?" he questioned.

Ettie felt his grip loosen and she merely slipped her arm from his grasp as she tried to stand. The couple bickered as Ettie retreated and once she was certain he had lost all attention she turned to flee.

"Hold it there!" someone else shouted.

Large arms wrapped around Henrietta and she fought with all her might to find release. However, the man simply dragged her back and forced her to kneel before the man called Calvin. He turned to stare at her, his eyes filled with anger and discomposure. His arm stretched forward to grasp a bundle of her collar as he pulled her off the ground and close to his face.

"It seems you are fortunate, if it had not been for my wife, you would lie in a puddle of your own blood," he sneered through gritted teeth.

Calvin released Ettie and she tumbled to the ground shaking in fear as he strode away without another glance. Lady Lydia had looked upon Ettie with compassion. She had kindly extended her arm out to her to help Ettie stand. With a warm smile on her face and a few apologies, she asked that Ettie meet her tomorrow atop of Theodosia's highest cliff, where Potent Keep stood tall and firm.

"Do you hear me?" she heard Master Portent's booming voice. Ettie blinked and raised her head quickly trying to register what he had said but failed.

"Forgive my clumsiness," she muttered, under her breath.

"What good is it that you stand here then?" he questioned.

"Father, please be kind to my friends," Henry interfered.

Master Potent glanced towards his son and ordered that he step outside for a moment as he turned his gaze unto Ettie. Her chest tightened yet again but she refused to lift her head and stare at him, rather she would chose to cower.

"But father...," "Do as I say son, please," he said in a tight and low voice.

Henry gave a thin lip grimace and slowly hopped from his chair and looked in Ettie's direction with an apologetic look. The door shut and Ettie pressed her lips tighter, trying to find some sort of comfort in staring at her worn out black high button boots.

"Henrietta was it?" Master Calvin addressed.

She disliked her name on his lips; dislike how close he stood forcing her cheeks to blush with a dreadful emotion stirring within her. The quaking of her hands gave away her fear as she tucked them behind her back. Ettie readied herself for the tongue-lashing she was about to receive. Nonetheless, she felt she deserved it; her mind seemed to wander without her permission most of the time.

"If it wasn't for Lydia standing in my way that day at the market you would have had nothing, not a roof, nor food to eat. Be thankful that my heart still clings to Lydia for I would have thrown you out. I have little patience for foolish girls such as you," he said.

His voice was not harsh nor was there a sneer on his face; simply he spoke his mind as he began to pace the study. However, Master Potent did not need to raise his voice to inflict fear.

"Forgive me Master Potent, it will never happen again," she whispered.

"See to it that it doesn't, my son will not suffer an accident due to your clumsiness. I will make certain that you rot in a dungeon for the rest of your miserable life if anything befalls my son," he said.

"Yes, Sir," she replied. The loud knock on the other side of the door made her jump and she rushed from his looming presence to answer the door. Before her stood Henry's tutor, and the young master at one side. Henry walked past the threshold and quickly gathered Ettie's hands into his.

"Are you alright?" he whispered.

His small round face filled with concern as Ettie pressed a thin lip smile, vaguely visible as a tear slipped from her eye.

"Everything is fine Henry. Do not worry for me," she replied.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 19 10
After losing her mother, Lydia's father takes a big step just to pay off his debt putting Lydia's life at risk. But tables turn and Lydia is saved by...
632 22 18
Her only fault - she's mute. Her salvation - Reed Lanchester.
1.3K 22 23
h.s. [au] Kassie was enjoying the last few days of her summer break at the beach with her boyfriend and best friends then going back to school for he...
831 63 31
When his desire is all you have... Serena loved Darien at first sight, but she discovered that he only married her to save her father's company. She...