Humanity's Butterfly

By ShinyUmbreon1243

After being sent into an S class mission by the 5th Hokage, Sunako Uchiha, one of the few surviving members o... More

Prologue (SLIGHT EDITED)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Filler Chapter: Visiting the 104th Cadets
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Filler Chapter #2: Sunako's Sunny Side Battle
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Filler Chapter #3: Tea Battle
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Filler Chapter #4: Unveiling the Butterfly
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 4

10.9K 388 263
By ShinyUmbreon1243

"Salute!" The cadets put their fist on to their chest in salutation to their superior. It was the morning after their graduation ceremony. The 101st Cadets spend their last night at their training camp before heading off to their respective regiments. For Sunako, Gunther, Eld, and seven other cadets, they went to the Scout Regiment HQ early morning by carriage.

The headquarters consists of 3 main buildings. One for the higher-ups, one for the storage which doubled as stables, and one for the girl's and boy's dormitory on separate floors. Their team leader, Finn Glöckner, gave them a tour of the three buildings and stopped when they're in the dormitories.

Sunako settled in the girl's dormitory, separating from Eld and Gunther who settled in the boy's dormitory. The room consisted of four bunk beds, a nightstand, and a large closet. Seeing that she's the only female that joined the Scouts, she got the whole room to herself. Before leaving her room, she set up a Genjutsu trap if ever an unwanted person came into her room, they would immediately be caught in her trap. She will only dispel her Genjutsu when she's nearby or in her room. Was she being cautious? Yes, she is. Her Shinobi instincts were already imbedded into her like glue.

Other than the three main buildings, it had a rather large terrain that consisted of a large training field and forest with multiple Titan-killing courses that they would practice in. As of now, the rookies would spend most of their time learning the formation instead of training, hence the isolation from the rest of the scouts. Sunako sat at the last row by the window with Eld and Gunther. She doesn't mind, if anything she already studied the formation beforehand.

During the discussion, Sunako finds herself staring outside of the window as butterflies flutter around. In the middle of the discussion, Finn spotted Sunako seemingly not paying attention to the formation before them and was instead staring out the window.

"Cadet Uchiha." Finn called out as every Cadet turned to look at the only girl who joined. The raven-haired girl in question averts her attention from the window to look at their team leader with an ever-present calm smile of hers.

"Sir." She said. Standing up and saluting to her superior with a smile on her face.

"Since you find outside more interesting, tell me, what section encounters the most titans?" Finn questioned, testing her to see if she really is a genius as they say. Sunako knows he was challenging her and she will no doubt up to the challenge.

"Forward Scouts sir, since Presumably, they should be the most reliable soldiers, they usually spread out along the front rank of the entire formation. Hence, they are the members of the Legion who come into contact with the Titans more frequently, alerting the rest of the formation to the presence of Titans using red smoke rounds. Also, Occupying the farthest left and right positions in the formations, the forward Scouts are also known as the left and right spotters." She answered, explaining the Forward Scouts purpose.

"The formation has drastically increased the Scout Regiment's survival rate outside the Walls. However -" Finn was then interrupted when Sunako cut him off.

"it can be rendered ineffective by bad weather, especially when raining, flares will become useless. This, combined with the drop in visibility from said rain or fog will reduce the ability of the formation to remain in communication and spot Titans." Finn stared at her for a minute before returning back to the discussion.

"In rare cases, when the scout regiment does require a Titan for experimentation purposes the -" Finn was then cut off again by the petite, raven-haired girl.

"The scout Regiment ambush Procedure should be done. firstly, by luring the target into an area where the Scout Regiment forces have the maximum advantage. Secondly, incapacitating the target with the special target restraining weapon. Thirdly, Using ODM gear, soldiers surround the target area and prevent escape. Fourthly, If the target breaks free soldiers will have to surround the target area and prevent escape."

Finn continued to search her for answers but Sunako never stuttered, her smile never wavering as she stood confidently while she was being barraged by questions. In the end, she answered all of them correctly. Finn was left impressed while the Cadets are in awe at the sheer amount of detail that she explained.

"Well done." Finn paused turning away from the petite, raven-haired girl to gaze at the rest of the Cadets. "Moving on..." Finn trailed as he continues the discussion. Sunako sat back down on her seat but she then heard Eld whisper under his breath, "smartass."

Sunako turned to her friend with her ever-present smile and whispered to him, "If only you would ogle books like you ogle women, then you would be a smartass as well." Eld felt like an arrow hit him in the head at her statement while Gunther held his laughter in as Sunako turned to look outside the window, feeling satisfied as she watched the butterflies fluttering.
——————————————————————————————————————

During the two months they spent isolated from the rest of the scouts, the long-range scouting formation has imbedded into the Cadets' heads. They were now tested on their physical side starting with horse training. Finn led the recruits to the stables where a total of 600 specially-bred horses reside. These horses are exceptionally valuable and are bred for great speed, stamina, and calm temperament. Finn talked to the stable keeper who took care of the horses as they let themselves in.

Finn instructed the Cadets to pick their own horses while he stands by and observes as the recruits scattered. None of them seem to have caught Sunako's eye as of yet, while most of the Cadets have already picked their horses, especially Gunther and Eld. When Sunako is at the end of the stables, there she saw a beautiful black horse staring at her with intelligent eyes as onyx eyes stared back.

The stable keeper saw this and walked up beside her. "Are you sure you want that horse?" He questioned making the raven-haired girl look at him with a gentle smile on her face, as usual, her head tilts slightly. "Is there something wrong with this one?" She asked.

"No, no. It's just that while these horses are bred to have a mild temperament, this one is very feisty. She rejected every handler that ever came close to her and even if they did they were sent groveling to the ground, including myself." The stable keeper explained. Sunako calmly gazes at the horse before entering the stall despite the stable keeper's warnings. She raised her hand slowly and started caressing the mare's head as the horse lets her, much to the stable keeper's shock.

"Well, I'll be! She actually likes you." The stable keeper said, astonishment written on his face as he watched the petite, raven-haired girl pet the 'feisty' black horse with no problem. Sunako thought of changing this horse's name and found one that is suitable for the black mare. "From now on, you'll be named Izanami." She said which Izanami didn't complain about it and liked the name a lot more.

Although the name was derived from one of her clan's Kinjutsu, Sunako was smitten by the name and thought it would go well with the black mare. Sunako saddled up Izanami and led her outside of the stables where the rest of the Cadets are waiting. Finn was astounded when he saw the infamous, feisty, black horse became very well-behaved like any other horses they have and was being led by the petite, raven-haired girl herself.

'This girl has been taking me by surprise many times already.' Finn thought before continuing on. The cadets were now tasked to ride the horses that they chose to see if they know how to control their horse and change their speed. But it would seem that Izanami is much faster than the other horses much to Sunako's delight. Sunako enjoyed riding Izanami but her team leader warned her to not get too attached since lost or dead horses were a common part in the Scout Regiment. Still, Sunako will do her best to keep Izanami next to her.
——————————————————————————————————————

A few weeks after horse training, the Cadets were now taken to the Titan-killing course in the forest. Throughout the course, there's a total of 20 fake titans. Their objective may have been to see how many titans they could take down the most. Of course, Sunako knew there are Scouts there to assess their skills since they are the weakest link for now and what better way to know their skills is by doing the course itself. Sunako will not disappoint them. Uchiha blood runs through her veins after all.

Finn scanned every single Cadet with his eyes to find that they are fully equipped, he then signals the go and the Cadets immediately took off into the woods. The Titan course from the Scout Regiment is more challenging compared to the Cadets Corps. Whereas the Titans in the Cadet Corps are evenly spaced out and hidden, the Titans in the Scout Regiment had more variety in their locations and would most likely be in groups.

Sunako could feel the stares from the other Scouts that were hidden in the forest but paid no mind as she flew through the forest and slice another rubber nape. As long as they remain unseen, they should be fine. She then spotted three more wooden titans up ahead, two on the left and one on the right. She knew that Eld and Gunther are right behind her, so she decided to have them take care of the one on the right while she deals with the two on the left.

Hooks were sent at the rubber nape as Sunako cuts it with the same precision with her chakra enhancing her arms. She then backflips towards the other one and cuts the rubber nape as well before moving on through the forest. Just as she predicted, they took care of the one from the right. The tree started to decrease around them as they saw the end of the forest. Thinking that the course is over, the cadets then landed safely on the ground. However, almost all of them failed to notice one wooden titan that isn't in the forest. Because of Sunako's heightened senses and quick reflexes, she immediately aimed her grappling hook on the foam and propelled herself forward with gas and was now in mid-air. She has her gas down and let the hooks go as she then went for the finishing blow.

Once that was done, she then landed on the ground softly as the others watched in awe at how quickly she dispatches the last fake Titan. The scouts noticed that throughout the course, she had a calm smile on her face whilst slicing off the fake Titans' nape. Some of them thought that she's kind of sadistic but those who knew her just shrugged it off, having gotten used to her demeanor and her ever-present smile, mainly Eld and Gunther. Sunako then stood in the middle of Eld and Gunther as they stood before their team leader.

Finn nodded at them, pleased with their skills, especially Sunako. She displayed the tenacity of a soldier, has more perception than the other cadets, and her skills were highly sought after. If anything she might be as skilled as Levi.

"All right. I have to say I'm very well pleased with your skills. Schultz, you took down five, Gin with six, and Uchiha, because you cut down the last one, you got seven. Well done." Finn paused and turned towards the other Cadets.

"The rest of you took down 2-4 Titans, I expected you all to improve before the next expedition. Dismiss."

Once Finn left, the Cadets soon went on their way. Eld was sulking when he heard that he was one Titan short to Sunako while the latter pats him in the back with a pity smile as Gunther told him, "Better luck next time."
——————————————————————————————————————

It was the morning of their first expedition. Almost everyone in the Scouts are on edge, especially the Cadets ever since they were informed of the next expedition. Knowing the fact that it could be their last made many of them anxious about the outcome. Everyone except Sunako, the only emotion she could feel for this expedition is worry. She worries for Eld and Gunther since they'll be on separate teams this time. She also worries about the lives of her comrades since there's a chance that they may encounter Abnormal Titans along the way.

Every 2 months the Scout Regiment would usually go on one expedition. Unlike other branches of the military, the Scouts are constantly on action. The expedition would last about 3 days to 1 week depending on the location and number of deaths. The rest of the time, they would be practicing and training. Honing their skills as well as training the mind and body to guarantee their survival rate.

Usually, the Cadets would be in charge of keeping spare horses and serving as backup recon units. Plus, there could only be at least one or two Cadets in one team. As far as Sunako knew, the Scouts Regiment was divided into 10 teams, each led by a team leader. Each team leader serves directly under 4 Section Commanders, who in turn serve under the Commandant. A Senior Team Leader supervises 8 Team Leaders in the Field.

Despite her worries about the expedition, she has faith in her comrades. She knows that they're capable enough to handle themselves, especially Eld and Gunther. Considering that they've trained together for 3 years and she helped them with their fighting style is enough reason for her to know that they're competent with or without her.

Even though she's absolutely sure that she won't die this time —since she promised Eren— she made sure to write a letter to her siblings if she ever dies in the expedition. Sure, she was a bit different compare to others but she's also human herself. She may have her bloodline but that doesn't mean she's invincible. There are people who are stronger than her and yet they died, she is no exception. However, she'll do what she can to survive this post-apocalyptic world and protect those she holds dear.

After Sunako got herself in her Scouts uniform, she put up her genjutsu trap before going out of her room and headed towards the mess hall. It was pretty early since the sun hasn't risen yet. It's normal for her to wake up at dawn especially when she's part of the ANBU with their rigorous training. Once she enters the mess hall, there was unsurprisingly a couple of Scouts who are awake and having their breakfast which is understandable.

When she was heading for the kitchen part of the mess hall, she then spotted a woman with wide, light brown eyes and shoulder-length dark brown hair that is tied in an unkempt high ponytail with bangs parted down the middle. Who seemed to be bothering a man with short, straight black hair styled in an undercut curtain, as well as narrow, intimidating dull gray eyes with dark circles under them, he was drinking what smelled like black tea. Upon further inspection, she immediately recognized them as two of the Section Commanders, Hange Zoe and Levi Ackerman.

She halted her pace as she stood in front of them and gave them her salute with her ever-present smile on her face. Hange's eyes lighten up, her eyes held recognition as her mouth split into a grin when the petite, raven-haired girl stood in front of them.

"Ah! You must be Sunako Uchiha, right? Of course, you're the only one who smiles 24/7, silly me!" The Hange said. While Levi continued to sip his tea but his eyes were on the petite, raven-haired girl, studying her before looking away as the said girl put her fist down in a relaxed position.

"Yes, that would be me, Section Commander Hange." Sunako confirmed with her usual smile. Both Levi and Hange noted how gentle her voice is. Hange suddenly stood up and leaned closer to Sunako's face, much to her discomfort but didn't show it.

"Do you mind if I take a blood sample or two? You seem to have perfect genes." Hange enthusiastically said until she noticed something from Sunako. "Oh! Except your short though." This earned Sunako a tick mark but her smile remained.

"Thank you for the compliment, Section Commander. But nope." Sunako said, straightforwardly.

"Ah! Even your voice is perfectly soothing to the ears, as your face to the eyes. Maybe just a teeny weeny bit of sample?" Hange pleaded.

"Nope." Sunako said, frankly with a smile. Hange hunched her shoulders, feeling dejected while Levi just scoffed at her failed attempt. "Oi. Shitty glasses, stop bothering the Cadet."

"Well, I can't be the only one who's curious about her genes. I mean look at how pretty she is!" Hange said, turning her head to him as she tried to state her point to her fellow comrade.

"I don't care. Besides didn't you have something to say to this brat?" Levi said. Hange slaps her hand to her forehead.

"Oh! I almost forgot about that!" Hange turned to Sunako as the girl tilted her head a bit, was there something they needed to tell her?

"Suna? Can I call you that right? Commander Erwin wanted you in his office after breakfast." Hange said. Sunako wondered why the commander wanted to see her at this time of hour but she nonetheless conformed to her superior. "Understood." She saluted to her superiors once again before walking away towards the kitchen area.

There, Sunako started brewing green tea and took a loaf of bread from the kitchen cabinet. Once she finished brewing her tea, she then grabbed them and went to an empty table nearby to eat. Usually, she would eat with Eld and Gunther but considering that those two are still asleep at this time, she eats alone. She uses this time to contemplate as to why would the commander wanted her in his office. She was sure she hasn't done anything wrong. She'll find out soon enough.

After she finished her bread and drank her tea, she put the dishes away and immediately headed towards the Commander's office. By now, some of the Scouts are awake when she left the mess hall. While walking through the halls, she ignored the stares from the other scouts as they went on their way to the mess hall.

When she was in front of the Commander's door that led to his office, she lifted her hand and knock on the door twice. She then heard the commander's strong voice from the other side of the door, "State your name and business."

"It's Sunako Uchiha, sir. I've been informed by Section Commander Hange that you wanted to see me." It was silent at first as Sunako waited until he said, "Come in." Sunako opened the door to see Erwin behind his desk as she entered his office.
——————————————————————————————————————

Erwin stared at the petite, raven-haired girl in front of him once she set foot into his office. Her smile still evident on her face just like when he saw her in the graduation ceremony. He looked through the files of the new recruits that Keith sent and found Sunako's file. Apparently, her biological family was murdered leaving her as the only sole survivor. She was then taken in by her aunt from her mother's side to live with her family, who was eventually murdered. After the incident, she —along with her cousin— was adopted by the Jaeger family in Shiganshina District.

He also checked on her physical prowess and is highly impressed by the information. Her physical prowess are nearly perfect. The last time he saw a profile this perfect was with Levi's. What made it better is when Finn reported to him of how highly skilled Sunako is compared to the other Cadets. No wonder Keith spoke highly of her. Although he finds her an unusual individual, here in the Scout Regiment unusual is the normal thing around here. Take Mike and Hange for example.

Sunako stood in front of him and immediately saluted with her ever-present smile that didn't seem to wipe off from her face.

"At ease, Cadet." Erwin said as Sunako put her hand down.

"Thank you for coming. I called you here to deliver you sudden news." Erwin paused as Sunako looked at him in question. What sudden news is he going to tell her?

"You'll be transferring from Glöckner's team to Moblit's team, therefore you'll be placed in the Forward Scouts." Erwin said. He noticed her onyx eyes went wide a little bit before returning back to a calm state.

"May I ask why, sir?"

"We have come to a decision last night when Glockner noted that you were a bit too experienced and highly skilled to be on his team. After watching your performance several days ago, it was decided by me and several others that it would be best to put you into Moblit's team." He said. Sunako now understands why she was called for this sudden change of teams. The Uchiha clan was known to house a number of insanely talented and intelligent Shinobi that are categorized as the 'best of the best', guess she's not exempted.

"I see. Is that all, sir?" Sunako asked.

"Yes, that would be all. You are dismissed." Erwin said. Sunako saluted her superior once again enforce turning her back to leave his office. Once she left, Erwin let out a sigh. He just hopes that he won't regret this decision.
——————————————————————————————————————

"The Forward Scouts? Are you serious?" Eld said in disbelief along with Gunther as they stared at their female best friend who just smiled at them. Both men met up with Sunako after she left the commander's office. The two men were heading to the Mess Hall for breakfast which Sunako joined them. They knew that Sunako always wakes up earlier than them but she didn't mind joining them even though she already ate breakfast. By then, she told them that was transferred from Relay Teams to Forward Scouts.

"Yup! That's what the commander said. But you two don't have to worry about me." Sunako reassured but they weren't entirely convinced. It's understandable for them to worry about her, knowing that you're best friend is on the front lines is quite worrying. But then again there's a possible chance that they would die if a Titan were to slip in the formation and she will not let that happen.

"This is different, Sunako. This time you're facing Titans not people. Of course we're going to be worried about you." Gunther stated and Eld agreed. "It's concerning enough that we're in separate teams as well as me being put into the Scout Support Team, but now you're in a position where you would most frequently encounter Titans." Eld said. It was set before that Eld will be put into the Scout Support Team while Sunako and Gunther will be in Relay Teams.

"Now, now, There's no need for you both to be so concerned about this. Besides, you guys should know by now how capable I can be." Sunako tried to reassure them again, but they still have that worried expression on their faces.

"But Sunako-"

"Now, there's no need for you two to be such worrywarts!" An eccentric voice is heard, interrupting Gunther as the three of them turned to see Section Commander Hange and with her is a man with short smooth brown hair parted down the middle and light brown eyes, as they approach the three of them. "After all, Suna here is in capable hands! Right?"

"Y-yes, section commander." The man said.

The three of them immediately stood up and saluted towards their superiors. "Section Commander Hange!" Eld said which Hange waved it off as they returned to their relaxed form.

"Now, now, no need for you to be tense either. I just came for Suna here to meet her new team leader." Hange explained, gesturing to the man beside her. "You must be Sunako, right?" He asked the smiling, petite, raven-haired girl in front of him.

"Yes, that would be me, sir." Sunako answered.

"Suna, this is Moblit Berner, your new team leader! You, young men, don't have to worry about this sweet little fire ant, Moblit here is a very competent leader! As expected from my second-in-command!" Hange enthusiastically said.

"Oh? Well then, it will be a pleasure to work with you, sir." Sunako said, giving a salute and a close-eyed smile to her new team leader. Both Moblit and Hange stared at her as they slightly blush when the same cheerful and bright aura surrounds her.

"Uh, just Moblit is fine." Moblit said with an embarrassed smile while scratching the back of his neck, 'A sweet angel.' He thought with a slight blush.

'I need to get a sample of her blood.' Hange thought, wanting to know of her almost perfect genes. Both Eld and Gunther looked at each other then back at them as they thought the same thing, 'there goes another one.'

Hange then cleared her throat to garner their attention, "All right! Now that we're fully acquainted with each other, get yourselves ready cause we are leaving in 30 minutes!" With that, the eccentric Section Commander left them alone as Moblit just sighed at his superior's antics while Sunako, Eld, and Gunther just stared at the last spot Hange was before leaving.

Moblit then turned to Sunako with a nervous smile, "You'll get used to that eventually. Anyways, if you're done, then go get your ODM and your horse ready. I'll meet you at the line outside." Once he said that he then left the three of them, probably off finding Hange doing who knows what.

It was an awkward silence that was broken when Eld sighed, making both of his best friends look at him, "I guess it can't be helped then, not like we can do much about it. But, at least try to stay alive, alright?" He said with a worried smile on his face. Sunako nodded, her smile still evident on her face.

"I will! You two as well." Sunako said as both men nodded. She'll do what it takes to survive this world and keep her loved ones safe. "Well then, I best get ready then. I'll see you guys then!" She then left the two men as she went out of the mess hall to go to the storage and strap herself into her ODM gear.

They weren't trusted to keep their ODM gear in their rooms yet, so they ended up having to travel to the storage to put on their gears. On the side note, they get to refill their gas cylinders and since the building itself is doubled with the stables, then they get to saddle their horses without much travel.

As soon as she finished putting on her gear, she headed straight to the stables, along the way she greeted the stable keeper with her ever-present smile who briefly greeted her back. It was no surprise to find more people chatting leisurely there since it is the day of their next expedition, or for the Cadets' case, their first expedition. Once Sunako got to Izanami, she then got her horse saddled up as she then mounted the black mare and started moving. The petite, raven-haired girl led Izanami through the crowd as they soon found a line of about one hundred Scouts.

She then spotted Moblit as she beckoned Izanami to go next to him. The black mare trotted towards them as Moblit turned his head to see the smiling, petite girl whose now next to him. Seeing that they're ahead from most of the Scouts is understandable since they'll be in front.

"Hello again, Team Leader Moblit." Sunako greeted with her usual smile on her face.

"Hello to you as well, Sunako." Moblit greeted. He was about to say something else but he paused for a moment. Sunako knew he was hesitating to say something as she patiently stared at him. "Sunako, you're already familiar with the formation as well as what Forward Scouts do, right?" He asked her. Sunako nodded in confirmation.

"Our team is in charge of observing Titans, both deviant and normal, that's why we're placed in the Forwards Scouts since this is the position where we would have the most contact with Titans. We also hope to capture one someday, but for now, we must make do with what we have." Moblit explained.

"Ah. So we don't kill them then?" Sunako asked her superior.

"Only if they threaten formation though which they almost always do." He answered. "I see. Understood." Sunako said as she then looks ahead, unfazed by the fact that she'll encounter more Titans since she expected it anyway. If anything, she faced multiple dangerous individuals with their own unique abilities in her old world, not that they know of. Her form was completely relaxed as her Onyx eyes held no amount of fear whatsoever.

Moblit gave her a quizzical look, "Out of all the Cadets, you don't sound so disturbed. Most would be terrified especially if it's their first Expedition outside the walls." He said. Sunako turned to her Team leader again with a calm smile. She wasn't disturbed. No, she was actually worried about this expedition, especially when there are lives at stake.

"It's not my first time seeing Titans actually." Sunako told him, turning her head to face front as they were now on Trost's main road. She noticed how they were looking at them with respect and awe as some were even cheering. She also saw a child looking straight at her, innocent eyes filled with wonder. She gave the child a close eyed smile briefly before averting her attention at the front.

They all came to a stop in front of Trost District's gate. Because both Sunako and Moblit are approximately close to the front, they could see Commander Erwin despite Sunako's small stature.

Commander Erwin then ordered the gates to be opened as the Garrison started opening them. The gates creaked and groaned as they suddenly began to open and as soon as the gates opened, they all left Trost at a full gallop. After a few minutes, Erwin ordered the Scouts to divide into their formation as they all split.

In the first few kilometers, the land was completely devoid of Titans. Sunako's form may look relax but her senses were put on high alert ever since they left Trost, her onyx eyes glanced around the area for any sign of Titans. She then saw a red smoke signal came off and multiple came with it meaning a Titan has been spotted on their side. A green smoke signal was fired indicating a change of direction.

When she learned of this formation, she was impressed at how a simple color can change the whole route of their expedition completely without even an ounce of communication. It was a very good tactic since Titans are attracted to large groups, Ewin developed this formation to avoid most of the Titans and prevent heavy casualties.

In the Shinobi world, there's a Jutsu that the Yamanaka Clan uses to communicate others telepathically which is done through establishing physical contact with the person. It can even communicate with multiple people at once and they can also communicate with one another while it's in effect. However, the more people that are connected through this Jutsu, the more physical strain is put on the user that would force them to keep the connection going for shorter periods.

The fact that they were able to find a way to warn the Commander and for him to change direction, made her feel even more respect for her Commander's intelligence just as she respected the Nara clan's clever tactics.

For the next few hours, they were spent in relative peace with flares warning others of Titan sightings and changing directions. Every once in a while, both Sunako and Moblit would have a conversation or two all the while being on alert. Sunako's sharp hearing picked up a stomping noise as her head turned sharply to the side, her hand went to her gun. Moblit noticed this and turned to where Sunako is looking. Around a few seconds later, a ten-meter class and seven-meter class Titans were spotted coming towards them. Immediately, Sunako fired a red smoke flare and soon many followed.

Seeing that the two Titans are too close to the formation to their liking. Moblit was formulating a plan in his head to take the two titans without dying, "Sunako, I'll take care of the Ten-meter one. While you go and deal with-" Moblit turned to his side to find Sunako gone and when he looked at the front he saw both Titans down, dissipating.

While he was devising a plan, Sunako immediately took off to take care of the ten-meter and seven-meter Titans. However, old habits die hard as she tried to form a conversation.

"Yoo-hoo! Would you two be willing to turn around? That way I won't have to kill you and we'll become friends!" She said. The ten-meter Titan then attempted to grab her but she hurried Izanami and evaded it. Her blades were out and ready as her onyx eyes stared at the two Titans with a calculating gaze whilst maintaining her smile. She could feel her chakra threatening to activate her Sharingan but refrained herself.

Before the ten-meter Titan could grab her again, her muscle memory kicked in as she jumped from Izanami's back and out of the Titan's grasp as she landed lightly on his hand. She then sent her grapple hooks at its neck and used her gas to propel herself upwards to mid-air. She turned her gas down and let the hooks go, she then has her chakra enhanced her arms and sliced its nape off.

As the dissipating ten-meter fell down, the seven-meter tries it's chance to grab the speedy, petite girl. However, Sunako used the smoke that was emitted from the Ten-meter as an advantage and jumped upwards making the seven-meter missed the opportunity. She then sent her grapple hooks to its nape and pulled herself towards it. And before the Titan knew it, it's nape was already sliced and started to fall down and dissipating.

While the Titan fell, Sunako spotted her horse nearby and jumped on the black mare's back. Moblit came in after Sunako jumped onto her horse and was aghast at the sight. Sunako was only a Cadet but she already took down two Titans without him knowing.

"Aw, what a pity. Here I thought we could be friends." Sunako said making Moblit look at her and thought, 'she's somehow like Section Commander Hange in that kind of mindset.' but shook his head.

"L-let's go. Before we fall behind from the formation."

"Yes sir." Both Sunako and Moblit continued on, going back into their positions once they spot the green smoke signal. They spent the next hour avoiding most of the Titans via signal flare and dispatching them when they're too close that would break formation before they decided to set camp on a nearby hill.

Erwin was pleased that they haven't lost any men till now, calling it one of the more successful expeditions in their history. This made Sunako sigh in relief knowing that both Eld and Gunther are still alive. However, it became grimmer when Erwin let his soldiers know that they'll be heading to a Titan infested area in order to secure a supply point. The good news was that the settlement has a high ODM agility, meaning they're in an advantage.

Once the speech was done, the sun has set as the sky darkened. Sunako was assigned a tent with two female veteran Scouts. She was able to find Gunther and Eld to eat dinner with as they began sharing their experiences for today. Apparently, they were scared shitless the whole day since they left Trost. They didn't know where a Titan would appear in the formation or whether they would die but at least they didn't pee their pants which Sunako teased as they defended themselves.

In a way, Sunako was glad that the two men are safe, the same goes for Eld and Gunther about her. They turn themselves in for the night as they separated in their respective tents. Because the two female veterans were too tired to even make a conversation, they briefly said goodnight before they quickly fell asleep which Sunako understands how exhausting it is trying to survive and live to see another day. With that she also fell asleep, letting her body rest for tonight.
——————————————————————————————————————

A kunai was suddenly embedded at the center of the target that was held up by a tree. A seven-year-old Sunako threw three kunai at the other targets. She wore a high-collared, dark purple, long-sleeved shirt, white shorts, and blue ninja sandals. she also has shoulder-length raven hair as her bangs framed her young face. Unlike her older self, she didn't wear a smile but her face held concentration as she threw another kunai at the other target.

Two boys were watching her. The older one had short, unkempt, dark-colored hair, black eyes, and a relatively broad nose and well-defined eyelashes, that were turns upwards at each end. He wore the standard attire of the Uchiha clan which includes a high-collared, dark-colored outfit along with a tantō strapped to the right side of the back of his shoulder. He also wore what appeared to be a harness for his tantō that was fastened over his shoulders.

The younger boy had jet-black hair that was pulled back in a low ponytail and his face was framed with center-parted bangs that extended to his chin. He has onyx eyes, under which were long, pronounced tear-troughs. He wore a high-collared, dark-colored outfit and a blue Konoha forehead protector.

"Nice one, Sunako. You've excelled quicker than expected. If anything, you might even graduate early like Itachi here. " The older boy said, gesturing towards the boy making the Sunako roll her eyes at that.

"Oh please, spare me the expectations, Shisui. Besides, the reason Itachi graduated early is that he did a Shadow clone during his first year of the Academy, and don't you dare argue about it cause it's true!" Sunako pointed when Itachi was about to argue but closed his mouth, knowing she's right about that. Shisui laughed at Itachi who wasn't able to argue with that fact.

"Shisui." Itachi stared at him as the older boy continued to laugh. Sunako met them after her first year of the academy. She was doing her own training without her father and elder brother when they saw her and after a few training sessions, they became close even when she entered her second year of the Academy.

"Now, now, let's leave Itachi alone."

"You're the one who started it." Both Sunako and Itachi said at the same time as Shisui sweatdropped. Sunako went back to throw three kunai at the target when it was then countered by a shuriken. Sunako looked taken aback with her brows furrowed when she heard a sudden familiar voice. "So, this is where you've been. Here I thought you'd be excited to see me."

Sunako turned to her left only for her face to lighten up in childlike joy as a happy smile replaced her frowning face. There stood her elder brother, Daisuke Uchiha, with his lips quirked into a smile and his hand on his hip. "Nii-San!"

"Yo!" He waved as Sunako run up to him. An excited look was on her face once she's in front of him. "When did you came back?" She asked.

"Just now. Hey Shisui, Itachi." He greeted, giving a respectful nod to Itachi since he'll be the next leader of the Uchiha Clan one day. Itachi nodded back in greeting of Sunako's elder brother. "hope you don't mind me taking Sunako away, right?" He jokingly asked.

"No, not at all. As long as it's you, that's fine with us." Shisui answered making one of Sunako's eyebrows raised in annoyance. It was bad enough for her elder brother to be overprotective but that protectiveness extended to Shisui and Itachi. Daisuke laughed at this and gave Sunako a head pat but at that point, she just smiled and let him be as they then leave the forest to get Sunako's favorite snack, Dango.
——————————————————————————————————————

Sunako's eyes shot open and sat up. She glanced around only to find the two female veterans still asleep. She then raised her hand to her face, her onyx eyes held sadness just by that memory. 'Why was I remembering that now?' She thought and shook herself. They're all gone, Shisui, Itachi, her family, and friends. They all became precious memories to her when she died in her old world but now there are people here that she cherished and created new memories with. She'll make sure to not make the same mistakes from her old world and survive this cruel world.
——————————————————————————————————————

Few days have passed since then as they rode back to Trost. The expedition was a success, they've been able to secure a supply point but have lost 37 Scouts. Four of which were her class who she silently paid her respects along with the other Scouts who died in this expedition.

The formation is still the same while riding back. Both Sunako and Moblit are at the same position as Forwards Scouts, firing red signal flares when there's a Titan sighting nearby as well as changing directions and eliminating Titans who got too close. However, when all things seem normal, a smoke signal was fired near them making the hairs at the back of Sunako's neck stood up and her senses on high alert. A black smoke signal.

"An Abnormal Titan!" Moblit yelled. Immediately, Sunako made Izanami run at full speed towards where the black smoke signal is as she ignored her team leader's pleas to turn back. Moblit then ran after her, fearing the worst that could happen to her. Talented as she is, she's only a Cadet in their eyes.

As Sunako came closer, she could see the abnormal at a distance and in its hand is a Scout whose struggling from its grip. He must've tried to take it down before it got near the center. Unlike normal Titans that attacks and devours people on sight, the abnormal ones may choose to ignore lone or isolated humans and exhibit unpredictable behavior. Sunako estimated that this Abnormal is a 15-meter.

Once she's close enough, she has her blades out and sent her grapple hook at the Abnormal's wrist as it pulled her towards its hand and landed on its fingers. The Scout was screaming in fear and pain, begging for his life to be spared. However, the Titan became distracted when the petite, raven-haired girl was suddenly on its fingers with a calm smile on her face.

"Ara, ara. Eating my comrades wasn't a very nice thing to do." Sunako said. Before the Titan could grab her, Sunako enhanced her arms with a little bit of her chakra and cut the Titan's fingers releasing the Scout from the Titan's grip before sending a grappling hook at its neck to go behind it and sliced it's nape off. All this was done in a few seconds that the abnormal wasn't able to react in time due to how inhumanly fast Sunako is.

The Scout that was freed by Sunako, was luckily saved by Moblit who came right behind and caught him before he could fall to his death.

As the Titan began to dissipate and fall down, Izanami came right on time as Sunako jumped down from the Titan to get on her horse. But in Moblit's and the Scout's perspective, it looked as if she was floating down gracefully like a butterfly.

She then went towards the two with her ever-present calm smile. "Are you okay, sir?" She asked. Her gentle voice somehow calmed him down after his close to death experience. "Y-yeah. Thank you for saving me." The Scout said with gratitude towards the petite girl. However, Moblit cleared his throat as they turned to him. Sunako knew she's in trouble for ignoring her team leader's orders but it was well worth it to save a fellow comrade.

"I would have given you a punishment for insubordination but because you saved him, I'll let you off with a warning." Moblit said.

"Yes sir." Sunako answered before turning towards the Scouts who grunted in pain, his horse was nowhere to be found. "Please don't move too much, sir. Your ribs were cracked when that Titan held you." She then grabbed what seemed like a pill from her pocket and gave it to the Scout.

"Here, it's a pain killer, this should help ease the pain a little. Once we return at the wall, be sure to have a doctor check that out." Sunako said as the Scout thanked her and swallow the pill. Not long after, Gunther arrived with a spare horse in hand when he saw his female best friend and her team leader. Next to them, were the remains of the Abnormal Titan that Sunako killed.

"Sunako? What happened here?" He asked as he came closer to them.

"You arrived just in time. Would you lend us a horse for our comrade here? His horse was nowhere to be found and have no way to go back in position." Moblit asked and explained to him.

"Uh, sure." Gunther handed them the reins of the horse as the Scout painfully got on. Moblit nodded thanks and turned to the Scout, "You'll be able to manage, right?" He asked and was given an affirmative.

Moblit then averted to Sunako and said, "Let's get back to position."

"Yes sir." All of them went back into position and continued onwards in returning to Trost.
——————————————————————————————————————

Days went by after they've returned back safely to Trost district. Rumors have spread in every district that even garnered the attention within the military, How a small girl took down an Abnormal Titan singlehandedly in just a few seconds.

At this point, Sunako was given the title as 'Humanity's Butterfly' due to how graceful and fast she is when using an ODM gear that it looked like she was fluttering. Not only that, but she was also very pretty.

Despite all this, Sunako was indifferent at the attention she garnered during the past days. The Scout she saved was very thankful for saving him and for letting him live to see his family once more. That made her chest feel a bit lighter knowing she was able to prevent another death.

As of now, Sunako was walking down the hall looking for someone. She has just finished training as well as doing some maintenance to her ODM gear, but at some point, she was thinking back on her expedition. It was fortunate that she has enough chakra to go by at the expedition, however, what if someday she ran out of it and was helpless to save her comrades? What would happen then if they knew of her lack of physical strength before she could find another alternative to kill Titans? The military would no doubt stripped her off from her position, rendering her from protecting her siblings. Just the thought of it made her determined to find it soon.

Just her luck, she found the person she was looking for right down the hall. Her ponytail was sloppy and her hair stuck out everywhere from where her glasses pushed up as she's muttering to herself while looking down at a sheet of paper. Sunako then approached her with a proposition in mind.

"Excuse me, Section Commander Hange?" Hange looked up from her paper to see the petite, raven-haired girl with her ever-present smile on her face.

"Ah! It would seem that 'Humanity's Butterfly' has graced me with her presence. Although, I like 'little fire ant' better." Hange jokingly said making Sunako chuckle at this. If anything, Hange reminded her of her friend, Anko Mitarashi.

"Ara, ara, I'm guessing you heard the rumors?" Sunako asked her and sure enough, Hange gave her a thumbs up. "Sure did! I have Moblit confirmed it to me and I must say you've gotten quite the popularity! Seriously, you willingly took down an Abnormal Titan all by yourself in a matter of seconds! The only one that I know who would willingly do that is Levi! Ah! Maybe we could finally capture a Titan! Just the thought of it makes my heart burst in excitement!"

Sunako wasn't really that surprised at the Section Commander's mad scientist tendencies but she was more likely impressed on what she said about Captain Levi, having seen the captain in action a couple of times but back to the task at hand. "If you wouldn't mind, I would like to have a proposition for you, Section Commander."

"Oh?" Hange questioned, looking at the smiling, petite, raven-haired girl.

"Yes. I have been informed that you have access to the library, I would like to lend a hand with Titan research in exchange for your permission to enter the library if it's alright with you that is." Sunako conditioned. Sunako didn't expect to be pulled into a hug by the eccentric Section commander with tears in her eyes.

"You, my friend, have yourself a deal!" Hange said. Next thing Sunako knows, she was then dragged by the Section Commander herself as she talked on and on about what they've learned so far about the Titans.

Since then, Sunako helped as much as she can with the research team right after training. Both Eld and Gunther expressed their surprise when she told them that she'll be helping with the research team but she calmly reassured them that she got this so they let her be. Her team leader, Moblit, wasn't so surprised as much. If anything, he became even more concerned knowing he'll have to keep an eye on her as well but when he knew that Sunako has more self-control over herself, he was relieved. True to the deal, Hange gave her permission to access the library whenever she needed and from there Sunako started picking up books that contained different kinds of herbs that are more detailed in comparison from the books back when she was training that only contains basic information about herbs.

With that, she wrote a letter to Moritz to make a vial that would be small and long enough for her to put into her ODM gear during maintenance. After the Fall of Wall Maria, Moritz took refuge in his relatives' home and when the royal government started sending refugees to retake Wall Maria, his relatives hid him from a deadly fate that could potentially kill him. Soon after that, he was able to continue his business and started working in his father's old shop. Sunako was able to come into contact with him when she had free time from training with her still being her favorite client.

While she waited, she started working making the most lethal poison that she ever created that can work on Titans. This poison was deadlier than the other ones she made in the past. It was mixed with multiple, deadliest poison herbs she could find. During the first expedition, she asked Moblit if she could take the night's watch. He was a bit skeptical at the request but let her do so, from there, she was able to collect every poison herbs she got hold of and sealed them all in her only scroll, albeit discreetly. It would be at night that she works on making the Titan poison and thanks to her poison immunity, she was able to work perfectly well without any setbacks.

After a week, Moritz sent a letter to her that it was done and that she should be able to pick it up. Thus, Sunako went out to pick up the vial and of course, both Eld and Gunther went with her. The two men already met Moritz when Sunako came to contact with him. However, Sunako asked them to wait outside while she gets something from Moritz shop which they do so, although hesitant. Even though they were best friends, both men didn't know about what Sunako's doing at night especially with her ODM maintenance just as they have no knowledge about her lack of physical. Sunako thought that it would be better for them to not know about lest they start worrying about her that they would lose focus in their expeditions.

Once she picked up the vial, she thanked Moritz gratefully and paid him with the money she earned from the Regiment. Both men didn't question what she got from Moritz's shop and just went on their way. It was then at night that she put the Titan poison she created into the vial and the next morning when they're doing maintenance with their ODM gear that she subtly tinkered with her ODM gear and put the vial of poison in before putting her ODM gear back together. It was safe to assume that she modified her ODM gear with her blades being coated with poison, that way she wouldn't have to rely too much on her chakra when killing Titans, now all she needs is to test it on a Titan.

It was convenient because their next expedition came up a couple of days later. Sunako was in the same position with Moblit being Forward Scouts again as they along with approximately a hundred scouts left the safety of the walls once more.

During the expedition, Sunako took the risk and cut a 15-meter Titan's nape with her poison-coated blades without enhancing her arms with chakra, thus the cut she made is shallow but not enough for it to be noticeable by others. Once the Titan's nape was exposed by the heavy dose of poison from her blades, the poison itself immediately started taking over the Titan's system in a split second, therefore, killing the Titan. This means that the poison that Sunako created in secret is a success.
——————————————————————————————————————

It was another successful expedition as they were able to secure another supply point but in doing so, they lost a total of 28 scouts. However, the remaining were able to avoid most of the Titans and return to Wall Rose safely.

Once they entered the gate, she couldn't help but notice something's wrong with the scout just two horses away from them. She noticed him breathing heavily, putting his hand unto his chest. No one seemed to have noticed until he suddenly collapsed from his horse. The civilians started to gasp in shock as the other Scouts stopped where they're going and immediately went to their comrade.

As if by second nature, Sunako immediately got down from Izanami to go take a look to see what's wrong with the Scout as Moblit followed her. The Scout next to him went to his side and yelled, "someone get a medic!" The other Scouts didn't know what to do until Sunako excused herself through the crowd and silently knelt down beside her comrade. She glances back towards the crowd with a calm smile on her face and asked, "Could you kindly give us some space?"

The Scout beside him was flabbergasted but said, "Uh, r-right!" As he and the other scouts pushed the crowd back a bit as per request and Moblit stood back and observed what she was doing. When they heard what's going on, both Eld and Gunther went through the crowds and found their best friend kneeling down beside the injured Scout. The two men know that Sunako knew what she was doing and decided to push the crowd back a bit with the other scouts.

Sunako then turned her attention to her comrade and started by checking his eyes, to see if the pupil constricts. She knew she can't use medical ninjutsu, not in front of a crowd that is, so she resorts in checking him the manual way. As she firmly but gently pries the eyelids open, she saw that it immediately constricted, which is a good sign meaning that his brain was fine and not concussed.

Then she went to check his pulse and discovered that it was beating faster than normal. She immediately grabs a pocket knife and tore the Scout's shirt along with his ODM straps. There she saw massive bruising on the left side of his chest. 'Fast heartbeat and breathing, shortness of breath, major bruising on the chest...' she deduced then glanced at the injured scouts face and found his skin started to turn blue 'and bluish skin.' With all the symptoms combined, she instantly knew what it is.

"He has Pneumothorax." Sunako said, not looking up as she focused at the injured Scout. He must've gotten injured from a Titan most likely. The people didn't know what that is, not even the other Scouts knew what that Term was. "Pneumo-what?"

"Pneumothorax is when air gets between one of your lungs and the thoracic wall. The pressure causes the lung to give way, at least partly." Sunako explained, but it seemed that they're even more confused. "What?"

"Basically, His lung collapsed. And when this happens you could inhale, but not as much as you should." She promptly said. The Scouts started to get worried for their comrade and one of them asked her, "what should we do?"

"I need to pierce it." Sunako started to look for something to pierce until she glanced at the injured Scout's ODM gear and got an idea. She immediately grabbed his ODM gear and found a narrow, half centimeter, tube-like part of the gear between the gas cylinders. It was just what she needed.

Once she got the tube-like part out from the ODM gear and neatly broke it. "This should do it." Sunako felt the ribs of the Scout and explained, "I need to puncture it two ribs down." She held the tube that she got out from the Scout's ODM gear and punctured it. The injured Scout instantly took a deep breath as the air leaks out and released the pressure in his lungs.

Sunako turned back towards the crowd with an ever-present smile on her face and said, "He should be fine now, but he needs to go at the hospice immediately." The Scouts let out a breath that they didn't know they've been holding it for long while Moblit sighed in relief. The scouts began to thank her for saving their comrade before bringing him to the hospice where he will get proper treatment as the petite, raven-haired girl watched them disappear through the crowd.

"Sunako." She heard someone called her name and turn to look at Moblit who had a relief smile on his face as she briefly saluted him. "Thank you for saving him. I'll report to Section Commander on what happened here, for the meantime, you go on ahead and rest. You did well in giving him emergency treatment." He said. Sunako saluted to him once more before he got on his horse and went ahead. Sunako soon followed after as she mounted Izanami and continued towards the Scout Regiment headquarters. Both Eld and Gunther went beside her, riding on their horses, as they talked at how calm she was during the procedure and how they were amazed when she figured out the problem. All the while, Sunako just listened with a smile on her face, answering them every once in a while. She was a bit exhausted —but not that exhausted like the other scouts— and was thankful that Moblit let her rest for some time.
——————————————————————————————————————

A day after the procedure, Sunako was then called into Erwin's office. This was the second time that she was called into the commander's office, this time, both Eld and Gunther were called into his office as well. There must've been a reason as to why they were called as well.

Once the three of them arrived in front of Erwin's office. Sunako then proceeded to knock on the door twice, opening it after hearing the commander's strong voice allowed them to come in. As they entered his office, they found not just the commander himself. Standing before them, are Section Commanders, Hange Zoe and Mike Zacharius, and Captain Levi himself.

After the door closed and they've fully entered his office. The three of them immediately saluted their superiors, however, Sunako was the only one with an ever-present smile on her face. Levi raised one of his eyebrows a bit with a bored expression, "So you're medically skilled as well. What else can you do?"

"Everything you can't, sir." Sunako said bluntly. Hange was stifling her laughter at Sunako's answer. Both Mike and Erwin have a subtle smile of amusement as Levi clicked his tongue at being told by a Cadet of all people and thought, 'this brat.' Eld and Gunther sweatdropped at their best friend's blunt answer towards the intimidating captain whilst Sunako paid no mind at the captain's gaze, her unwavering smile still present. She met people who are just as intimidating as Levi himself.

Erwin cleared his throat to regain his posture as he stared at the three of them, mainly on Sunako. Gin and Schultz are exceptionally skilled no doubt if the reports from their Team Leaders are of any indication. However, Sunako is a different case. By the past couple Expeditions she was in, she took down a total number of 50 or so Titans, counting that with the Abnormal ones. Not only that, her speed is something that should also be considered due to the fact that no Titans have ever caught up to her and were quickly dispatched. Her intelligence and skills were also not to be underestimated.

And now, Hange reported on what happened yesterday after their expedition. How Sunako took immediate action to save another Scout's life yet again through an emergency medical procedure, meaning she was also skilled in the medical department as well. With that thought in mind, he knew what must be done.

"Firstly, I have to thank you, Sunako, for saving another one of our Scouts. If it weren't for you, we would have lost another valuable Scout. However, as for why I called all three of you here, treat this as a sort of promotion." Erwin paused for a moment. The three of them straightened their backs a bit, they weren't expecting this kind of promotion this soon.

"The three of you will be the pioneers of the Special Operations Squad led by Levi Ackerman." Erwin announced.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Hey everone! I apologize that it took longer for me to publish this chapter than expected but let me explain. For the past few weeks, that I have not been on wattpad. There has been alot of brain storming on certain events that I have planned for Sunako and a lot of action on how she moves when it comes to a live Titan, how she created a poison that is effective to kill Titans and modifying her ODM gear for it, and etc. There's also the difficulty on getting the character's personality right so they won't get too OOC. Not only that, but school came in for me so I've been quite busy lately so updates would be slow in both of my stories.

So bye and stay awesome!😊 Peace out!✌️

P.s. this a drawing on what Sunako actually looks like.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 88 19
As an Uchiha your whole existence has practically been a curse, you're parents died shortly after you're birth, leaving you in the hands of the Third...
3.7K 52 43
In the fractured world behind the towering walls, where titans roam and humanity fights for survival, a story of broken souls and secretive pasts unf...
993K 27.9K 86
Suns had always been known to be the brightest light, but anyone whose ever met one particular girl would know her smile conquered all. She loved and...
97.5K 3.4K 36
"The bravest hero of them all... you are a true warrior Miss Ackerman!" When Y/n Ackerman is pushed off the edge of wall Maria she thinks this might...