Free Verse

De PusangGala98

- An introverted person who can't speak for himself; no one can hear his voice so he tried to find a way to e... Mais

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Supporting Character
Author's Note: Ritmo and Jayce appearance
Author's Note (Zane's Appearance)
Author's note (Henry's Appearance)
Chapter 2: Wallflower and Roses
Chapter 3: Twist of Fate
Chapter 4: Metamorphosis
Chapter 5: Beautiful Nightmare
Chapter 6: Peter Pan
Chapter 7: Fleeting Emotion
Character's Name Meaning Part 1
Chapter 8: Pandora's Box
Chapter 9: White Flag
Author's Note
Chapter 10: A New Beginning
Chapter 11: Pathfinder
Chapter 12: Perfect Pair
Author's Note
Chapter 13: Butterfly Effect
Chapter 14: Rain
Chapter 15: Behind the Lenses
Chapter 16: Color of Love
Chapter 18: Dionysus

Chapter 17: Tanaga

18 1 0
De PusangGala98

-In our country, we have our own version of poem. Just like how Japan has haiku, we have tanaga. A culture of writing a quatrain poem with seven syllables each line. Despite of being short, the poem contains knowledge about something. The old version of tanaga doesn't have titles, since the people believe that the poem should speak for itself, the poem should not depend on a title to express its meaning. I adore the poem, it doesn't need so many words to express, and its essence is enough. Unlike me who can't show his feelings in neither using both words and actions. Sadly our generation doesn't pay that much attention in the culture of tanaga. How I hope that tanaga will be known worldwide. Zane

It is about time for Zane's visitor to come. Ritmo and Jayce are almost done decorating and arranging his living room. Vince and Henry are now serving all of the dishes they've cooked for almost half a day. Zane, the owner of the unit, is just sitting in front of the mini table located in the middle of the living room, since all of them want Zane to just relax. This is his first time throwing a party and even though it can only be considered as a small gathering, his friends know that he is feeling nervous right now. Also they know that when he is nervous, he tends to nag them, and no one can't afford to handle him while they are busy trying to finish all of the work in time, so it is much better to let him sit there to compose himself.

Thankfully their plan work, they finish all of the work in time. But as soon as they all sat in the living room; since they already finished all of the preparation, Nath and Alex are already in front of the door. Not a second have pass since they take their break and they already heard them knocking at the door. Indeed it can be a bad timing for all of them, the four of them are feeling lazy to get up and open the door and Zane is already nervous so he is not an option for them to choose. All of them are still silent, trying to wait and hope that one of them will volunteer to open the door, but no one did. The knocking continued and it gets louder and louder.

"Uuuugh Ritmo can you open the door."

Jayce said irritatingly.

"Why me? I am also tired!"

Ritmo complained.

"Just gooooo! Among all of us you are the one who always open the door when we were still living together right."

Henry said while forcing Ritmo to stand up. Soon, Jayce joined Henry, making Ritmo unable to fight back. Failing to protest, Ritmo just stand and head towards the door to welcome the visitor. He was ready to welcome them with a smile, just like a receptionist. But as soon as Ritmo and Nath saw each other, their smile started to fade and the atmosphere started to became tense. The last time they met, they ended up shouting at each other, so it is reasonable for them to not get comfortable. Ritmo is feeling guilty of what he did and Nath is still mad at him. But now is not the right time to for them to argue, and Ritmo knows that, so he forced a smile and act like nothing happened as he leads both Nath and Alex inside. Nath felt the same so she just ignored him as she grabs Alex's arm as they enter. Both Alex and Nath were amazed with the vibe in Zane's living room. It is not her first time to see Zane, actually Nath already knew about Zane since she saw him when she visited her brother's condo and she knows that Zane is not a party person, so she is not expecting something in the said party. Honestly she just comes with her friend out of respect, since she was informed that they were invited. But right now as she roams her eyes to inspect the whole place, decorated by balloons and other stuffs, she knows that it is not Zane's idea to throw a party, which is right, since it is Jayce and Ritmo's.

The light was turned off and the only thing that helps them to see each other are the disco lights and the fairy lights which are on top of the table and hanging at the walls respectively. The whole living room is like a bar because of the decorations, the only thing that is missing is a loud booming music as a background.

"Woah, what's with this ambience, it is so awkward to sit here, and it is so dark."

Nath jokingly said as she turned on the lights. Everyone agreed to her; they are sitting there in silence despite of the party like environment they had.

"Yeah actually your right, it is just Ritmo who insisted to turn the lights off."

Jayce replied to her sister making Nath feel awkward again the time her brother mentioned Ritmo. She just wants to avoid him the whole night, so she ended the conversation by simply nodding. Alex on the other hand is busy greeting their future seniors at least for Nath, since she doesn't know yet that Alex is planning to stop in his education.

"Oh I forgot to introduce the both of us."

Nath said with a smile as she pulled Alex who is currently busy greeting Zane.

"Ok, his name is Alex, he is my best friend and I am Nath, Kuya Jayce's beautiful sister. We are both upcoming 1st year college student. Kuya Zane, you already know me right?"

Nath said. Zane gave her a nod as an answer.

"Are you going to study in our University? Oh, by the way, I'm He-"

Henry was about to introduce himself but Nath interrupted him.

"Nooo kuya, don't introduce yourself in a boring way, since I don't want this house warming party to be so boring and also I am the only girl here, I will be the one who will facilitate the initial part to break the ice..... No more objections or else I will feel ashamed of myself standing here acting like a boss!"

Nath said standing there with pride. The rest of them who is just sitting on the floor just agreed since they don't want Ritmo to facilitate the whole party. Ritmo who is actually against it cannot protest since he is still feeling awkward towards Nath, because of what he did to her.

"Ok so first let me arrange our sitting plan."

Nath said while looking at them. She started dragging each one of them to arrange the sit plan. The sitting arrangement around the small table was Alex, Jayce, Henry, Zane, Ritmo, Vince and Nath respectively.

"Ok so this will be the mechanics; the one on your right will be the one who will introduce you. But we all should follow this format: we should start with - 'what is the word which best describe that person?' followed by 'what is the best thing that the person did for you?'- and we all should end with- 'I am happy with this person because ______.'"

Nath said while taking her sit. But something is not balance about her rules which makes Ritmo protest.

"But what if we are not that close? Vince and I just met each other recently and I am not even interested with him."

Ritmo said.

"Yeah he is right. But Ritmo, can you address me as your senior?"

Vince added making her unable to just ignore Ritmo's statement. So she just thinks for a way and it didn't take her that long to find a solution.

"Ok, we will just give each other a ten minute preparation. Use that time to talk and know each other."

Nath said with a smile. Everybody agreed with her terms and they started to face the one who they will introduce. Henry can be seen with a smile since he is looking forward to talk to Zane casually, since they know each other well they don't need to rush and just have a small chat about random stuff. He was about to approach him but Zane started talking before he can open his mouth.

"The three of us don't need to talk right? We knew each other for so long so we don't need the ten minute talk."

Zane said trying to tease Ritmo who is struggling to approach Vince. Since he doesn't have the time to argue with Zane, Ritmo just give him a glare right before he turns to Vince who is busy talking to Nath.

Even though Zane said it jokingly, it is enough to stop Henry from approaching him. Henry felt awkward to talk to Zane, maybe because Zane said that or maybe his way of how he looks at Zane changed since he discovered that Zane have feelings for him.

"Are you not going to ask me something?"

Jayce said at Alex who is just busy watching the others.

"Nope kuya, I think I am fine."

Alex replied making Jayce chuckle.

"So you think you know me very well?"

Jayce said with a smirk.

"Nope, I just think that I can already describe you based on our few encounters with each other."

Alex said making Jayce nod slightly.

"Can't you see that Kuya Vince is talking to me? Geez where is your manners?"

Nath said irritatingly when Ritmo interrupted both her and Vince. Vince is supposed to introduce Nath so he is talking to her, but Ritmo is supposed to introduce Vince and the clock is ticking making him unable to wait. So he interrupted both of them to ask Vince some questions.

"You already introduce yourself a while ago. You don't need to participate!"

Ritmo said. Nath was about to answer back but Vince realized that they were about to fight so he started to stop both of them.

"We can just ask and answer simultaneously right?"

Vince said while smiling awkwardly, hoping that both of them will agree. In the end Vince finds himself lucky, since he was able to stop both.

The whole unit is noisy as the majority is trying to talk to each other. Strangely Zane finds it comfortable in the middle of the chaos. He doesn't know why but he enjoys being with all of them, maybe because for him, they are no longer a stranger. The ten minutes have passed so quickly for all of them. Nath pointed her brother to start their little activity. Jayce looked at Henry right before he starts introducing him. He is his friend so it is easy for him to describe Henry but lately he can't help himself to be irritated because Henry doesn't know all about Zane's feelings at least that's what Jayce thinks.

"So this is Henry, the best word to describe him is 'unaware'."

Jayce said bluntly, causing all of them to ask 'why' except for Ritmo and Zane who already know why. Jayce just ignored all of them as he continues.

"The best thing that he did for me is inviting me to the club. I am thankful for that; lastly, I am happy with this person because he is willing to sacrifice for his friends. EXCEPT IF HE KNOWS NOTHING."

Jayce again making Henry confuse. He is not sure if Jayce want to imply something and he finds it intriguing. Henry was about to ask but Zane shifted the topic; feeling afraid that Jayce will accidentally spill the bean.

"Ok Henry it's your turn."

Zane said immediately as soon as Jayce finishes introducing Henry. So Henry didn't have the time to ask Jayce, since he is also looking forward to introduce Zane.

"Ok I will start..... The best word that describes Zane will be 'enigma'... for me it is hard to understand him..... sometimes....... The best thing that he did for me was to let me be his best friend.... I am happy with him because he is always there every time I needed someone."

Henry said while smiling at Zane, eyes close just like how an innocent child smiles. Zane smiles back as a sign of appreciation of what Henry just said. But actually, Zane is controlling himself, he doesn't want to be too happy because of what Henry said, he doesn't want to have any false hope anymore. Because Zane thinks that Henry didn't know that he has feelings for him and he is just praising him as a friend. To cut it short, Zane proceeded to the activity immediately.

"I will be introducing Ritmo. The word that describes him is......... I think, 'trickster' will be enough for him."

Zane said. He was about to continue but Ritmo butted in.

"Waiiiiiiiiiit! Before you continue, can you describe me in a nice way? I have a feeling that you are just gonna say weird things about me."

Ritmo said to Zane, making him chuckle. He is right, Zane initially plans to say some weird stuff about Ritmo as a payback for teasing him earlier, but since he insisted, he decided to accept Ritmo's request.

"Because of his request I will now try not to insult him.... He doesn't have anything he did for me actually."

Zane said jokingly which makes him receive a glare from Ritmo.

"Zane!"

Ritmo shouted even though they are sitting beside each other.

"Ok fine I'll try hahaha...... Maybe for me the best thing he did is to lighten up the mood, when we first met each other, I find him weird but then I realized that his behavior made me more comfortable.... I'm happy with this person because he seems very nice, despite of his childish attitude. Are you happy now?"

Zane said while looking at Ritmo; acting like he was forced by Ritmo to tell those pleasing things about him. Honestly even though he expresses it as a joke, Zane is serious about all of what he said. Ritmo is like the ice breaker of the group, he is the joker and it helps Zane to be a lot more comfortable around them.

After they all introduce their seatmates, Ritmo started to bring out some drinks. Most of it is alcoholic drinks which makes Zane a little nervous. Zane doesn't know if he will allow it inside his unit because drinking is not his thing. But since he noticed that almost all of them are getting excited because of what Ritmo brings on the table, he decided to just let it go as he join them drink bottle after bottle. The feast is much more fun because they have the chance to talk and bond with each other. At that moment Zane is now comfortable with Alex and Nath, since he discovered that they are upcoming freshmens. Alex and Nath also felt the same, meeting the seniors makes Nath feel excited about next school year and Alex already forgets that he is not going to continue to college because of the happiness they felt. Since all of them are enjoying the food, Ritmo completely forgot about the activities he planned. They were about to finish all of the food but thankfully, Nath asked something.

"So the four of you are writers, right? ...... Can you give us some impromptu writing?"

Nath said making all of them stop eating.

"hahaha What do you want from us? Should we get some pens and papers and act like a kindergarten pupil while holding our drinks?"

Ritmo said forgetting the fact that they haven't reconciled with each other yet. He then remembered when Nath looked at him angrily.

"Actually, I think we can. Remember when we were still freshmen, the seniors forced us to create a tanaga as an initiation rite."

Zane said.

"Uhm Kuya, I'm sorry but... what is tanaga?"

Alex asked in confusion.

"Ohhh. It's an old Filipino poetry compose with one verse with four lines, and each lines should have seven syllables to complete a total of 28 syllables for the whole poem."

Zane enthusiastically explained.

"Alright let's go Heralds! Let's show them our talent."

Henry excitedly said while stretching his arm.

"Ah- Henry, Zane is no longer part of our club."

Jayce said making Henry stop from being spirited.

"O-ow y-ye-yeah right, sorry about that Zane."

Henry awkwardly said while slowly facing Zane.

"No it's fine dude."

Zane casually said to make Henry comfortable again. Henry just nod and smile at him in return.

"O-okay I will start it. Just give me a minute."

Henry said. He started composing in his mind and as just like he said, he finishes his poem in a minute. He was about to open his mouth but he remembered Zane's face in the video. He remembered Zane's tears and it makes him stop. His enthusiastic smile faded and his eyes became blank. The audiences were left hanging in anticipation. In the last minute he decided to change the poem inside his mind, causing him to spend a lot longer than usual.

"Hey Henry, what happened? Are you already drunk? It is very unusual for you to struggle."

Ritmo said teasingly as soon as he noticed that Henry is taking too long to compose a poem.

"Shut up dude! I am already done."

Henry replied as soon as he finishes another poem inside his mind. He clears his throats and looked at Zane for a moment before he starts reciting his poem.

"Okay, usually Tanagas don't have title but I would like to name my poem 'confession'"

Henry said right before he recites his poem.

______________________________________

"Confession"

Is being silent a choice?

Open up and use your voice!

Be brave; start to make some noise!

Stand tall and make a proud poise.

______________________________________

"Just be who you are."

Henry added before he finishes his poem. Vince, Nath and Alex applauded him, since they are amazed with his poem.

"Woah woah woah.... Dude that's cheating. Tanagas should have only four lines."

Ritmo protested as soon as he finishes counting all of the syllables.

"The last one is just an additional; you can exclude it if you want."

Henry replied. He actually created the poem for Zane as a secret message, but Zane didn't realize it. Jayce noticed that- while Henry is reciting his poem, he is looking at Zane, and even though he is not sure why did Henry do that he decided to create a poem that contradicts Henry's.

"Okay I am done so I think I should be the next one."

Jayce said, taking the lead.

"Since Henry gave his poem a title, I would like to name mine 'false hope'"

Jayce said as an introduction for his poem.

____________________________

"False Hope"

Some loves don't have remedy.

It is not like a movie,

Some will remain unhappy

Let's face the reality.

____________________________

Just like how the others applauded Henry, Jayce receive his own too.

"Hey are both of you implying something?"

Ritmo commented again jokingly making both Henry and Jayce shocked.

"No were not."

The both of them said making Ritmo laugh since he finds it funny to see them act like they were caught off guard.

"What are you talking about?!"

The both of them accidentally said again in unison. Zane is actually doesn't understand what is happening, because he couldn't catch up with what they are talking about, just like the others. To make sure that Zane will remain unaware, Ritmo shifted the topic.

"Ok save Zane for the last, since he is the best in terms of poetry. I should be the next."

Ritmo said right before Zane opens his mouth; making him unable to ask questions. Ritmo is enjoying the chaos at the living room. He enjoys how the three non-writers cannot comprehend with what is happening, how Zane wants to ask what is happening, and how Henry and Jayce acted so defensively. It is all because he is slowly getting drunk. Honestly, all of them are getting drunk, that is why Zane cannot catch up and both Henry and Jayce cannot control their emotions.

"Just like this two did, I will name my poem. Hahaahahha........... I will call it 'courage'"

Ritmo said while laughing, a sign that indeed alcohol is slowly ruling over his mind. He took a deep breath and started shouting his poem.

______________________________

"Courage"

All you need is to be brave!

Stand still, face the raging wave

Come out from your lonely cave.

Express your feelings with rave!

_____________________________

Everyone is covering their ears since he shouts too loud, but still they heard his poem clearly. The three audiences were also amazed but they just can't clap for Ritmo since they are covering their ears.

Even though he is drunk he still succeeded in expressing his thoughts. Ritmo noticed that Jayce and Henry are like having a conversation with their poems and he joined with them with his own. He is actually rooting for Henry and Zane but Jayce seems like he don't want to push them any longer. That's the reason why Ritmo cannot convince Zane. He thinks that Zane have a chance if he just confesses to Henry but he can't help him since Zane already gave up.

"That's my poem. So Zane it is your turn? What is your answer?"

Ritmo unconsciously said; still unaware that he is being out of control at the moment.

"What do you mean?"

Zane asked while frowning in confusion. Alex, Nath and Vince remains unaware about what is happening, they are just sitting there, waiting and watching just like an audience.

"Nothing. What I mean is your poem."

Ritmo replied. Henry inhaled deeply as he was also expecting what will be Zane's poem, even Jayce is waiting for Zane, but he is taking his time. Zane is having a split thought whether he should share his poem or not. It makes Ritmo, Jayce and Henry thirsty in his poem. All of them have this hidden mindset that Zane's poem will be his answer to their own secret conversation.

So when he opened his mouth the rest started to focus on him, waiting for the first word that will escape from his mouth.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

90.9K 7.4K 79
[Featured by wattpad romance, teen fiction, young adult and psychologicalnovel] Joy Jones was a seventeen-year-old kind and optimistic girl working...
2.2K 102 35
* TRIGGER WARNING* there may or may not be parts of this book that people may find upsetting. It talks about mental illness. Also it talks about rel...
39 12 5
There's a new girl in town. She's used to a big town where you don't recognize anyone unless you know them, but now that has to change. She never kne...
13 0 65
People seem to like her own personality, and how much she was sweet often times, although she does not understand people sometimes, it was hard for h...