The Ranger And The Prince.

By BlackRoseSith

Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilder... More

Prologue.
Council of Elrond.
The First Steps.
Ice Breaker.
Home Sweet Tomb.
Last Stand of Moria.
Pass into Shadow.
A Lament For Gandalf.
Kings of Old.
Captive.
King of Rohan.
Life and Death.
Fall of the Dúnedain.
Calm Before the Storm.
The Storm.
Fall of the White Wizard.
Secret.
Sparring Matches.
Split of the Dimholt Road.
The Reddened White City
Unarmoured.
Eye of the Enemy.
The White Tree In Blossom.
Goodbye to the Fellowship.
The Elevenking.
Bad Terms.
Thranduil's Wrath.
White Gems.
Olive Branch of Peace.
Wedding Traditions.
Flirting and Fighting.
Pretty as a Princess.
Wedding Bells Toll.
Kisses and Candlelight.
What Comes After.
New Life.
Motherhood.
A Family to Belong To.
Going Home.
Gondor and Mirkwood.
Home At Last.
Home Siege.
Leaving the Nest.
Epilogue.

Reunion.

5.7K 166 78
By BlackRoseSith

The Orcs and Uruk-hai quickly scatter as men on horses bolt into our midst.

The next few minutes are just a blur.

My eyes were glossy with tears from nearly being ripped apart by Orcs. My body was sore from days of torment and my hands were still bound.

I couldn't focus on anything. I didn't know who these men were and I didn't know where Merry and Pippin were.

I wasn't focused on them at that moment. Having just been seconds away from a gruesome death, I was just desperately trying to run away. There was nothing heroic in my actions as I completely abandoned the halflings - wherever they may have been - and simple ran.

My feet somehow found themselves running into the forest. I had no clue where to go or what I would do once I got there but now was not the time to worry about that. I just needed to get away.

I stumbled blindly into the forest, tripping over roots as I went.

Just when I thought I had gotten away, I heard harsh and hurried footfalls and the snarl of an Orc.

"I'm going to rip out your filthy innards she-elf!" The Orc snarled, stalking up to me with a sword as I stumbled and fell onto a root.

I turned just in time to see the Orc raise his sword. I desperately kicked at the filthy beast.

To my surprise and luck, as he went to slice the sword down on me, I kicked his hand. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw I had managed to kick his sword straight through his own heart.

As he fell in front of me, I crawled along the forest floor until I managed to prop myself up by the root of a tree.

It must have been another hour before my heart finally stopped beating so fast. I wiped away my tears and tried to stave off my fatigue so as to look down at my injuries.

I had claw marks on my belly but they didn't go too deep. The cut on my shoulder wasn't so bad but I feared if I left it too long, it would get infected.

They weren't so bad as I had originally thought but if I didn't get help soon, I would die either way.

***

It was just gone dawn when I awoke. At least I assumed it was dawn from what little sunlight that got through the thick foliage of the forest.

I heard footsteps in the distance. Fearing it was Uruks or Orcs out to hunt me, I stayed as still as I could and as quiet as a mouse.

I pulled my hood over my white hair and masked my face with my scarf. That was one of the benefits of wearing all black, it blended in with the background.

"The air is so close in here!" I heard someone grumble.

"This forest is old... Very old," I heard another whisper, "Full of memory and anger."

I recognized those voices. I let out a sigh of relief and a few years of joy. The rest of the Fellowship were here, I was saved.

"Legolas! Aragorn! Gimli, over here!" I cried, my voice still hoarse from lack of water.

"Sapphire?!" Legolas yelled as he and the others sprinted over to me and crouched by my side.

"Thank the heavens you're alive lassie," Gimli beamed but his smile was cut short when he looked at the state I was in.

"You're bleeding," Legolas said worriedly as he gingerly took hold of my shoulder to comfort me.

"Really? I hadn't noticed..." I tried to chuckle but that soon turned into spluttering and choking as I spat out some blood onto the mossy forest floor.

"What happened, my lady?" Aragorn asked as he began ripping off the sleeve of his tunic to turn it into makeshift bandages.

"Nearly eaten alive by Orcs," I whimpered as Aragorn hastily tied the fabric around my most dire wounds.

I noticed that Boromir wasn't with them. I wasn't really surprised considering he had been shot with three arrows. I don't think even he could survive that.

Me and Boromir may not have been on good terms but I wasn't so cold-hearted as to wish him dead. We may not have got on well but I respected him as a fighter and it is a pity he is dead.

"We need to get her to a proper healer," Legolas suggested as he took some of the bandages from Aragorn and began to patch me up as well.

"Just try and stop the bleeding." Aragorn stated, "Try not to move her too much."

I hated feeling helpless and vulnerable. It was the one thing I detested showing, especially to men because I knew that some - like Boromir - would just put it down to me being a woman.

However, I felt content in the knowledge that the Fellowship in front of me genuinely cares for me. I still hated being vulnerable but at least they weren't mocking me or taugnting me for being captured.

"Where's Merry and Pippin?" Gimli asked when he determined I was stable enough to answer.

"I don't know, I'm so sorry. I lost track of them so quickly and before I knew it, I was running for my life."

"It's ok, it's not your fault," Legolas patted me gently on the shoulder.

I didn't even feel up to making a sly comeback. Now I knew I wasn't myself, I couldn't even threaten Legolas which was one of my favourite things to do.

***

After what seemed like hours since their arrival, most of my wounds were either bandaged up or were already healing over.

I had noticed that all three of them were carrying my weapons. They had apparently salvaged them from the fire the Orcs and Uruks were burning in.

I thanked them over and over. Not only did they save my life, they recovered my most prized possessions; my weapons.

To my surprise, Legolas had insisted on carrying my axe even though only a week ago he told me it was too heavy for him. I didn't question it however until later that day.

Aragorn and Gimli were trying to set up a small camp because they knew it was better not to try and move me in my condition. As those two scouted out the forest, Legolas stated by my side.

I was about to fall asleep again when I sat a glint of blue on his tunic. That was odd, Legolas' tunic was green and silver. Perhaps it was just a trick of the light?

"Is that... My necklace?" I asked, finally making out the little sapphire.

"Yeah..." He coughed a little awkwardly, "I found it amongst the rubble and I thought you were dead..."

"So you figured you would, what? Steal it?" I mused with a smirk, "get your own sapphire."

He reached behind his neck and untied the necklace before he held it up and gestured to me.

I nodded gingerly and pulled my white hair up so he could lean over and tie it around my own neck.

"Why did you keep it?" I asked curiously as I looked down at the blue gem.

"I thought you were dead." He said again, this time looking away.

Before I could ask him to go on, both Aragorn and Gimli came back from scouting. It was then, Legolas stood back up and walked over to Aragorn.

I didn't dwell on it too long as I was just greatfull I had my jewel necklace back. It was the one thing that remained of my home and people.

Suddenly, we heard the whole forest creak, like the bark itself was moving.

Gimli picked up his axe and poised it ready, thinking something was going to burst out at us.

"The trees are speaking to each other." Legolas explained as we all turned to Gimli.

"Gimli! Lower your axe!" Aragorn hissed quietly.

"They have feelings, my friend." Legolas smiled softly as Gimli slowly lowered his weapon, "The Elves began it. Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak."

"Talking trees." Gimli scoffed, "What do trees have to talk about? Eh? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings!"

After a few moments of silence, I tried to hobble to my feet but Legolas shot me a glare, shaking his head and gesturing for me to sit myself back down.

Just out of spite, I grabbed the tree behind me and pulled myself up into a standing position. I bit my lip to hide the pain and held up my axe, trying to seem as thought the heavy weapon did not hurt my arms at all.

"Something's out there," Legolas spoke in Elvish.

"What do you see?" I whispered in Elvish as well.

"The White Wizard approaches," he door softly, his eyes darting to the bushes behind us.

Saruman. I didn't not know much about the White Wizard turned evil but from what Gandalf had told me, he was the most powerful of the Five Wizards.

"Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us," Aragorn warned quietly as I tightened my grip on my axe.

"We must be quick," he said as he slowly took out his broadsword and I saw Legolas nocking an arrow on to his bow.

As we all turned around to attack the White Wizard, a blaring white light shine down upon us, practically blinding us.

Gimli threw one of his axes at the figure in white that was running towards us. Legolas let his arrow fly but both were no sure.

The wizard twirled his staff in the air, deflecting both blows with ease. Aragorn yelped and I turned just in time to see his blade glow hot as though the metal was on fire. He dropped it quickly just as I felt the same thing coming from my axe. I dropped it as the burning metal touched my hands.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits." The figure spoke, the light still blinding us and rooting us to the spot.

"Where are they?" Aragorn demanded.

"They passed this way the day before yesterday." The white wizard spoke but as he did so, I thought I could hear a strangely familiar voice, "They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?"

"Who are you?" I asked, the voice still oddly familiar to me.

"Show yourself!" Aragorn demanded, shielding his eyes from the light.

We watched in shock and awe as the light died down slightly and the figure's face came into view.

My jaw dropped and my eyes furrowed in confusion as I saw the face of someone I had thought was dead. It couldn't be, we all saw him fall.

Gandalf. But he looked much different. His cloak and robes were the purest white. His face seemed slightly younger, his white hair and beard neat, so unlike his unruly grey hair from before.

"It cannot be," Aragorn said, taking a step closer to look at him.

"Forgive me," Legolas apologized, bowing down in shame, "I mistook you for Saruman."

"I am Saruman. Or rather, Saruman as he should have been." Gandalf explained calmly.

"You fell," Aragorn said, still unsure of Gandalf's presence.

"Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me and I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and every day was as long as a life age of the Earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done."

"Gandalf," Aragorn sighed.

"Gandalf?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion, "Yes. That was what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name."

"Gandalf," Gimli beamed happily.

"I am Gandalf the White." He spoke clearly, smiling warmly, "And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

***

It wasn't long before we were packing up our things again and getting ready to move again. Legolas protested, saying that I need rest and time for healing but me (as stubborn as always) shrugged it off.

I took a few steps and stumbled over a root of a tree and slammed straight into Legolas, nearly nocking us both to the ground.

He grabbed my shoulders and helped me to my feet.

"My Lady, stop pushing yourself," He sighed, "You need rest."

"What I need is for everyone to stop treating me like a wounded puppy!" I growled irritably.

"She can rest when we are free of Fangorn Forest," Aragorn suggested to Legolas, "For now, you must help her walk."

I huffed in annoyance but didn't protest as Legolas wrapped an arm around my middle and hooked my arm over his shoulder. I glared at him as he drew me close. I may be injured but I could still walked without being so close to him. He rolled his eyes at my stubbornness as loosened his grip so I wasn't overly dependant on him.

The others had already taken my weapons away from me so I didn't have to carry them but I would not be parted with my axe. I clung to it as I let Legolas help me to walk with Gandalf leading the way.

"One stage of your journey is over. Another begins," Gandalf explained as he lead us through the dense trees. We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras?" Gimli scoffed, "That is no short distance!"

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes I'll with the king." Aragorn explained.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured." Gandalf sighed.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing?" Gimli grumbled.

I cleared my throat and saw the Dwarf turn to me.

"Oh, except to rescue one Lady Sapphire from a terrible death," he quickly added, "Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank, tree infested-"

The trees around us groaned loud, like before, making Gimli jump slightly and tighten his grip on his axe.

"I mean, charming, quite charming forest..." Gimli trailed off with a weak smile, bringing a chuckle to my lips.

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn." Gandalf explained, "A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend," Aragorn smiled as Gandalf turned to him, "You still speak in riddles."

"A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." Gandalf spoke softly, looking around him at the trees.

"Strong?!" Gimli reiterated, only for the forest to make another unnerving sound, "Oh that's good..."

"So stop your fretting, Master Dwarf." Gandalf huffed before he turned and walked off again, "Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be."

"That's not encouraging, Mithrandir," I called our to him as Legolas continued to walk with me.

"This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one." Gimli huffed as he followed us.

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts and feedback.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
180K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
671 41 9
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...
16.4K 956 41
Oғ sᴄᴀʀs, sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛs, ʟɪᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ғᴏʀʙɪᴅᴅᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ. Oғ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀᴠᴇɴ, ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀᴘᴛᴀɪɴ. Oғ ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss, ᴀɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ ғᴇᴜᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴏʏᴀʟ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ...