The King [Published]

Por eristhedarkauthor

Annalise has always been told one thing. Submit to the higher power. War has broken out between man and beas... Más

Content Warning
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Purchase The King

Chapter 5

16.5K 874 145
Por eristhedarkauthor

Annalise

My eyes remain trained on the floor as I clasp my hands in front of me. It's all I can do to stop the trembling as the king of the beasts steps away from me. I'm alone with the beast that wiped out my village all on his own. The silence is deafening, forcing me to take a deep breath.

"Come here."

His voice carries across the room to where I stand. It takes all my mental power as I force my legs to take me to where he's seated. I can feel his gaze on me as I approach, keeping my eyes down for fear of what could happen.

"You can look at me."

His voice is gentle, but I don't miss the mocking tone.

I lift my gaze, almost breathing a sigh of relief when I see he is eyes are focused on the spread in front of him. He's sitting at the small table with food laid out on it, giving me an opportunity to study him. His hair is free, the long tresses falling down his back. My gaze shifts to the bed that is completely askew, and I think of the three beasts that ran out of here when we arrived. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of beast this is.

As if sensing my thoughts, he looks up, causing my breathing to hitch as our eyes meet. Looking into his gaze takes more out of me than the hike to the river. Our close proximity doesn't help the frantic beat of my heart as he studies me, and he knows it. He smiles at my reaction, making me realize just how much I hate his smile. It's something that will give me nightmares, right next to the soulless depth of his gaze.

"You were so vocal at the entrance of the palace," he says with an amused grin.

He continues to watch me, reveling in my silence.

"Are you hungry?"

Confusion strikes me. I don't know why the king of the beasts would care whether I eat or starve to death, especially since he is the reason I'm here in the first place.

"You have an issue with answering questions."

His expression has lost amusement, morphing into irritation as he studies me. It reminds me of the first time I laid eyes on him across the river. He was asking questions then that I refused to answer.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, no longer able to hold his gaze. "I am hungry."

Silence washes over the room before he stands.

"Look at me."

I slowly raise my gaze, looking into his. They're the eeriest eyes I've ever seen.

"You can eat."

His gaze dips to my chest and he slowly raises his hand, his fingers trailing along my collarbone until they find the chain of the necklace my father gave me. I tense as he pulls it from its hidden place.

"If you tell me where you got this from."

He pulls it up enough that it rests between us. My heart hammers against my chest at the closeness of this beast. He carries such an intimidating confidence, it's no wonder he is the king.

"It's a family heirloom," I whisper.

I don't know if he noticed the necklace because it looks too valuable for a human to have, but I hope he won't take it when he hears how important it is to me. I recall my father's words as he handed it to me in a panic.

"Never take off. It is your protection. Only you are meant to wear it."

The king's expression is unreadable as he studies the necklace with an intensity I don't understand.

"A family heirloom...," he murmurs.

He continues to study it, his brow furrowing slightly.

"How did your family come into possession of this?" he asks.

"I don't know."

My response pulls his attention, his gaze once again meeting mine. He narrows his gaze slightly before stepping aside, letting go of it.

"Eat."

My stomach clenches in pain as I take in the abundance of food on the table. I don't know when the last time I ate a proper meal was, but I don't trust him. I take a small step back, shaking my head.

"It isn't my place."

I hope he'll let me leave, but it doesn't seem to be on his mind as he slowly circles my body, inspecting me as he does so.

"Your Majesty."

I look at him in confusion.

'Wha-Ah!"

The king roughly grips my chin, raising my gaze to his.

"You have the manners of a three-year-old. When addressing me, you say 'Your Majesty'. As it is your place."

I'm quick to recover.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

He chuckles, releasing me.

"So you aren't completely dull."

He once again falls silent as he studies me.

"Turn around."

I slowly will my legs to move, turning so that my back is facing him. The heat his body emits is strong as he steps closer to me. His fingers pull at the strings of my dress until it falls loosely around my shoulders, forcing tears to spring into my vision. Heat washes over me as his fingers lightly brush the wound he caused, forcing me to release a trembling breath.

He senses my fear.

"Calm down, human. I won't touch you in that way to sully my reputation. You are a slave, and I am the king. You're no better than the dirt beneath my feet," he says in amusement.

I hate to admit it, but his words hurt. I was raised around men that adored me and felt I was the light of their lives. To hear I am nothing more than dirt chips away at my barely stable mental state.

I tense when I feel his fingers brushing over my wound, playing with the stitching.

"I was wondering how you were still alive," he murmurs.

He presses his palm against my back, pushing into the wound. Suddenly, a wave of warmth trickles over me, all heading in one direction. I cry out from the pain that instantly turns into a pleasurable warmth.

In an instant, the feeling is gone.

I stumble forward, out of breath, turning to face the king in confusion. His eyes are dark as he looks at me. He's studying me. But he won't reveal his thoughts. Finally, he turns away from me, making himself comfortable at the table, and I take that as my cue to pull my dress over my shoulders. He silently watches as I do so, popping a piece of fruit into his mouth as he drops the thread from my wound to the ground.

"What is your name, slave?"

"Annalise, Your Majesty."

He smiles at my use of his title, repeating my name to himself softly.

"Annalise."

My name rolls off his tongue with familiarity.

"I am assuming you were assigned to the kitchens?" he asks without looking at me.

"Yes, your majesty."

"Hm," is all he says before going back to his food.

Time passes as he silently eats in front of me. I keep my eyes down and my mind clear, trying not to think of the painful hunger that's constricting my stomach. My mind wanders to how Dimitri is doing. I hope he can hold on. I don't know where humans are in the war, but maybe we'll be saved.

Maybe someone will come through for us.

"Annalise."

The king is looking at me with a blank expression.

"Tell me about your village," he says.

I blink in confusion, trying to decipher the situation. He clearly knows something that I don't. He's been interrogating me on things that I don't have the slightest clue about. But he's also been very vague in his questioning.

"What about it, your majesty?"

He picks up the glass of wine, taking a small sip.

"Why was a small village that stayed out of the war housing and feeding soldiers?" he asks.

"We would never turn our back on our own," I whisper, repeating my father's motto. The king smiles, taking a sip of his wine before setting it back down on the table. He looks at me for a moment, standing.

"Your village was an enemy of the empire. Not only were you aiding soldiers, but you were also housing weapons that were meant for beasts' destruction," he says, approaching me.

I'm shocked to hear that bit of news. My father always said we were a peaceful village. We wanted no part in the war. My eyes widen as the king approaches.

"I don't-"

"Of course you don't. You're just a naive girl that knows nothing of the war or people around you. It's very clear to me you are no threat," he says.

He pauses, looking at me.

"Though I can't say the same for the man that raised you," he adds.

I perk up at his words, earning a smile from him.

"Am I correct in assuming he gave you that 'heirloom'?"

It's difficult to find my voice as he glares at me.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"He was among the few hiding in that village under the guise of being naïve villagers."

He watches me carefully as he speaks, and I know he's watching for a reaction. But I'm shocked. He fought my father?

"How do you know he was my father?" I ask.

This earns a smile from him. He brings himself closer to me, his nose hovering over my throat.

"His scent lingers on your necklace," he murmurs. Tears spring into my eyes and I take a step back from him. His smile is completely gone as he towers over me, studying me in confusion.

"But not on you."

Before I can think of what his words mean, he's pointing to my necklace.

"Take that off," he commands.

His voice is cold and threatening. A sob escapes my lips as I immediately reach up, clasping the necklace.

"Please... it's the last thing he gave me," I manage.

My pleas don't phase him though. His eyes flash as the same darkness I saw when he was fighting the army in our village appears. I think about my father's words to me and squeeze it tighter. It will either protect me, or I will get myself killed trying to protect it.

His gaze narrows and I've clearly pushed him to the end of his rope. His hand is around my arm, pulling me flush against him in an instant. I don't have time to register what's happening as he rips it from my throat and shoves me back. His strength is so hard, I can't catch my footing and I hit the ground in a heap.

When I look at him, he's studying it with vicious intensity, his hate-filled gaze focusing on me. My body freezes as fear overcomes me. I want to reach for the necklace or at least fight for it, but I've seen what this beast can do. And he's been more than generous with my lack of compliance.

"Get out."

I stand, rubbing my throat in pain. I try to speed for the door when there is a rough pull on my hair, forcing my body back and into the chest of the beast.

"Bow before leaving your superiors, slave," he growls into my ear.

He releases me swiftly and I don't waste time bowing to him before scurrying from the room.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

11.3M 445K 56
It took the Beasts mere weeks to overthrow the human government and eliminate most of the population. Those who survived were put into slavery, force...
275K 4K 33
(Editing) THIS IS A BDSM BOOK, DON'T LIKE IT? BE A NICE PERSON, JUST SKIP DON'T REPORT. "You are mine, Bella. Mine to fuck and mine to love. Say it."...
1.9K 71 18
Welcome to a dark and twisted world where the powerful pull the strings, leaving the weak with no option but to obey. Here, Lily and Allora must figh...
7.8K 64 3
Inside this book you will delve into a collection of short twisted fairytale oddities with a sexy spark. These stories have been meticulously crafted...