In Your Shadow ✓

By quilldrop

Spin-off to "The Marriage Law - A Slytherpuff Story" COMPLETED More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Epilogue

Chapter 20

11K 521 765
By quilldrop

The Malfoy family was sitting around the dining table, having dinner together one last time before the kids would have to go back to Hogwarts.

Mia smoothed her shirt out nervously. She had a feeling that something not so pleasant would happen, she just didn't know what. But then again, her father was sitting just across from her, which was a bad omen in itself.

"So," Draco spoke up, looking around the table. "New school year starts tomorrow. You have everything you need, right?"

"Yes," they all replied.

"Good. Kaden, are you going to try out for the Quidditch team this year?"

"I don't think so, no," he shook his head.

"No?" His father raised his eyebrows. "Very well, then."

"What about you, Mia?" Katherine asked with a gentle smile.

The girl's eyes widened, but she composed herself quickly. "I'm still not interested in Quidditch," she replied in a flat tone.

"And you shouldn't be," Draco shook his head. "Quidditch is a very dangerous sport, Katherine. It's not for girls."

"Not for girls?" His wife asked back. "Yeah, right. Tell that to Mary."

"It's really not," Mason joined in. "I have been requesting not to allow girls in the teams for years, but they keep telling me that it wouldn't be fair. I'm honestly just worried about them, but if they want to get hurt so badly, then who am I to stop them?"

"Didn't Jessica Wood knock you out with a Bludger last year?" Mia asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"And how would you know?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "You don't even go to Quidditch matches."

"Word gets around, Mason. I didn't have to be there, everyone was talking about it."

"Jessica is scary," Kaden commented. "Maybe it's better if I stay away from our team."

"Anyway," Draco started speaking again, making the kids fall quiet. "It's going to be your last year," he looked at the twins. "Are you ready for your N.E.W.T.s?"

"Yes," Mia nodded.

"Good. Mason?"

"I will be, yes."

"That's great, but don't spend all your time studying, alright? Make sure you spend enough time with Amber as well."

"Of course, Dad," he nodded.

"Actually," Draco turned his attention back to Mia. "What about you?"

"What about me?" She asked anxiously.

"Don't you think it's time for you to get a boyfriend?" He gave her a questioning look.

"No?"

"And why is that?"

"I mean... I'm only seventeen, and like you said, we have our N.E.W.T.s at the end of the year, I need to concentrate on my studies to make sure I get the best grades that I possibly can."

"I get that, but school isn't everything, Mia. Look at Arvin, he already started a family of his own, Mason already has Amber, what about you?"

"Maybe I don't need a boyfriend to live a fulfilling life," she narrowed her eyes slightly.

"Nonsense. You know, I talked to Blaise a few days ago, he told me about how Zane is still single as well. He seems like a great guy, maybe we could set something up –"

"Set something up?!" Mia raised her voice, not believing her ears. "Are you joking?"

"Don't use that tone with me, young lady!" He gave her a warning look.

"Draco!" Katherine cut in. "We've talked about this, let it go."

"I just want what's best for her, he seems like he would be a good match for Mia."

"Would you actually force me into a relationship with someone I don't even know that well? After what happened to you?" She asked.

"It worked out for us brilliantly," he leaned back.

"Good for you, but I would rather not gamble with my love life. Hell, I don't even want a love life, I just want to study in peace, is that such a crime?!"

"Lower your voice, Mia. That's not how you behave at the dining table."

"And that's not how you behave as a father," she replied instantly.

Everyone's mouth fell open while Draco's eyes widened, a bit of hurt visible in them.

"Do you really hate me this much?" The girl asked, her eyes watering. "Do you really not care about how I feel at all?" She ran her hands through her hair, then stood up from her seat. "Do you want to know what would be best for me? Having a dad that actually cares. But maybe I should get a boyfriend because that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon."

With that said, she started walking out of the room.

"Mia," her mother called after her sadly.

"I'm sorry, but I lost my appetite," she said, then hurried out.

"I'll go after her," Katherine announced.

"No, stay," Kaden stood up. "I'll go."

He left the room as well, leaving their parents and Mason alone.

"What did I –" Draco started, but was cut off by his wife.

"I thought I told you not to bring that up, because it's not going to happen! Are you out of your mind, Draco? Seriously, what were you thinking?"

"She needs to start thinking about her future, Katherine!"

"She is thinking about her future! But for her, it's career first, not family, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!"

"Her brain is going to explode if she doesn't take the time to have fun!"

"Maybe she finds learning fun, haven't you thought about that?"

He sighed. "Listen, I just thought... well, my life certainly got better after I met you, so I thought that if she gave Zane a chance –"

"But we shouldn't force her into things, Draco, she's perfectly capable of making her own choices."

The two of them continued on arguing while Kaden stopped in front of her sister's bedroom door and knocked.

"It's me. Can I come in?"

A few seconds later Mia opened the door and let him in, closing it right after.

They sat down on the edge of her bed and Kaden put an arm around her shoulders.

"Are you okay?"

"I will be the moment I arrive at Hogwarts," Mia muttered.

"I understand why you're mad, and honestly, I don't blame you."

The girl rolled her eyes at the sound of his words. "But?" She asked.

"But... I just want to tell you that I know how important studying is for you, but if love does come knocking at your door this year, I would like you to at least take a look at it through the peephole before you decide to ignore it completely. Can you do that?"

Mia shrugged. "Maybe."

"I'll take a maybe," her little brother grinned. "Seriously, though. You're an amazing girl, if only you would let someone close enough to see that."

"When did you get so wise, Kaden?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

"What do you mean?" He asked back. "I've always been this way."

"Lies."

"I'm offended," he placed a hand over his chest, making her laugh.

"Thank you."

"Of course. Just fulfilling my duties as a little brother."

"Okay, you can go now. We'll see each other enough at school."

"Right," he nodded. "Don't spend too much time in the library, I have a feeling I'm going to need more practise than ever."

"I can always free some time for you," she smiled at him. "You better feel special."

"Oh, I do. But I'll leave now. See you!"

He closed the door after himself, leaving Mia alone in her room.

She closed her eyes and laid down on her bed, reminding herself of the fact that she would be back at Hogwarts soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

432 0 16
~•~ "You're staring" "I can't help it, you're so pretty" "It's creepy" "It's romantic" ~•~ After the war all students who were in their last year wer...
7.9K 211 24
Draco and Harry got married 17 years ago and have 5 amazing kids follow them through there hard times, misfortunes, and other obstacles that are incl...
531K 11.2K 37
7.3K 318 47
Last in the series of A Father Thank you for reading all 4 books so far and I hope you enjoy this last book as well