Emancipation

By anonymously_anon

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," he announces. "You may kiss the bride." The priest finishes. My husb... More

description
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty three
epilogue
PLOT TWIST
new story
bonus - prequel
Cover Poll
Trailer + Bonus Chapter
We're live!

fifty four

15.6K 617 82
By anonymously_anon

The door to the hall opens as the bride starts to enter, her wedding dress is one of the most beautiful one I've ever laid eyes on as she holds the bouquet of orchids and white roses in her hand. She was so particular about what she wanted, and she has fretted over the wedding for six months now, since the night he proposed.

My eyes move to the groom and his gaze seems to be hooked to hers, filling up at the sight of her walking down the aisle and it leaves me in absolute awe. From him, my eyes meet the best man, his stare hooked to mine. His lips slowly curve into a slight smile, making the heat rise in my cheeks.

Almost two years of being married to him, yet every day seems like a surprise when your husband is James Peter Clark. The rest of the ceremony goes beautifully, with the couple shedding a few tears when the priest announces them as husband and wife.

"Lil," I hear my mom when we start to move for reception.

I turn around to find my parents and immediately rush to give them a hug, "Oh good, you made it!"

"Of course, he was very precise that he wants his second pair of in-laws to be here," my father speaks, making me laugh.

"She looked beautiful, Natalie did a good job," Mom compliments and I immediately agree with her.

"Right?" I emphasise, "She's so damn good at this, excelling well."

I engage in a conversation with my parents until I feel an arm around my waist, the touch more familiar to me than my own emotions at times as he pulls me closer to himself. He only glances at me before turning towards my parents. I'm a little nervous and hesitant every time my father and James speak now, because they hit a rocky road more than a year back.

My father had blabbered about the deal to Liam which led to a dispute between James and him. From what I heard, James was respectful to my father until he was accused of cheating on me, and that's when the shit hit the fan. Dad apologised to him a week later, but I know James isn't very easily forgiving. So, now he tolerates my father's presence for my sake.

"How are you both?" He asks, a small smile on his face.

"Good, good. Sorry that Jeremy couldn't make it," my mother speaks and I give her an assuring look.

"That's okay, Beth. He'll meet them once he comes home," James tells her and she nods. He gives my father an acknowledging nod before turning towards me. "We should head to the reception. I have to give a toast."

"Yes." I smile at him before turning towards my parents. "I'll catch up with you later."

I give them both a hug before taking James's hand in mine and finding our way to another hall that's holding the reception. He turns to me with a smirk, his eyes finally taking me in, "You look decent for a dress that hideous."

"Wow, thanks." I laugh, swatting his shoulder. "She picked it out herself."

"She's got a horrible choice, look at whom she married. It doesn't matter though; you can pull off anything with that face."

His words make my cheeks heat as I smile at him. "Always so charming, Mr. Clark."

"Just trying to impress you, Mrs. Clark." He smirks as we enter the hall and run into Natalie.

She's drinking champagne when spots us and immediately rushes over to give me a hug, "Oh my god, this is some bigass wedding."

Her words make me laugh as I return her embrace before she parts away and gives James a side hug. My friends over the years have learned to be civil with James without letting his intimidating aura make things awkward.

"You did a great job, Nat." I smile, referring to the bridal make-up she pulled off and James nods along with me, agreeing. "I'm sure this will help you secure more business."

After Natalie finished her MBA degree this year, she immediately started freelancing makeup artist jobs for modelling shows happening in the city before moving across the states, going wherever the money took her. In just half a year, she has become so amazing at her job that she was easily the first person to recommend for this day.

"I hope so, although I do have to rush now. I have a huge party to attend tonight, so I have to get going. I haven't even picked out a dress yet." She explains and I nod. "Let's meet next weekend? Austin said he's free, so Caleb will make time."

"Yes, alright. I'll speak to Ashley."

"Ugh, if Max and her have another fight, I'll punch them." She grumbles before finishing her drink. "Alright, see you."

As she leaves, I stare at her back and notice that James was silently observing the entire conversation. He raises his eyebrows at me, "Max and Ashley are still fighting?"

I nod, groaning. "Yes, will fill you in later. Now, let's go find Hale before he loses his shit."

He laughs before doing as I said. I've surprisingly stayed in contact with the entire group even after my graduation. All of us met once a month at least but I think last time Max didn't show up because Ashley and him were fighting. Their relationship hit a rock bottom a couple of months back, and it's still pretty much there.

When we finally do find Hale, he's smiling so much that I fear his cheeks would stay like that forever. But then my eyes move to the woman beside him, complimenting the similar expression as she grins at her husband.

"Alex!" I call out as I make my way to her and wrap my arms around. "Congratulations! I'm so so so happy, I mean I can't believe you married him, but I'm so happy for you."

My friendship with her grew over the time because of how much the four of us hung out together. One weekend every month was secured for dinner with them, it was just implied.

"I can hear you," Hale pinches my arm, earning a glare in return. "Where's my hug?"

"Are you sure you deserve it, after I don't know, taking this one to a strip club?" I point at James and Alex laughs at Hale's horrified look, obviously aware about it.

"You told her?"

James organised a very civil bachelor's party for his best friend but Hale didn't like it. Instead, they ended up at a strip's club from where a very worried James called me. I love that he was worried about my reaction, but after being with him for more than a year now, and have known him for two years, I know where his loyalties lie. I messed with him for a while, of course, otherwise it wouldn't be me, but then I told him to just come home when he felt too uncomfortable.

He earned a much-deserved lap dance that night.

"Man, you don't visit a strip club and not tell your wife. There's so much you have to learn." James shakes his head in disappointment at him before turning towards the bride. "Congrats, Alex."

"Thanks, both of you. And sorry James, I know my sister's a little too much. I hope you didn't mind that you had to walk the aisle with her."

Her words leave me scowling, because Alex's sister is too much, scrap the little. During the dinner rehearsal too, she was all over James, practically drooling. But she's the maid of honour and with James being the best man, I didn't have much room for argument. He didn't like that I was walking with Hale's cousin either, because for some reason he hated the guy.

"No worries, it wasn't so bad." He smiles at her but I know that smile, he's just hiding his discomfort so he doesn't worry her. I mean, it's practically her day.

"Did Gabe and Beth make it?" Hale asks me, always leaving me surprised that how the hell does he get along with them. When I nod, he smiles. "What about Jer and Jo?"

"They had exams, but they send their best wishes," I tell them and both of them smile. "Let's not keep the two of you to ourselves, we'll catch up with you later."

"Yes, hey, don't forget your toast." Hale reminds James who nods, smirking.

It had been just a year of them dating when Hale came over at our place at midnight, freaking the shit out. He showed us the ring and I remember I shed a few tears before giving the biggest hug while James just grinned at him. I'm not sure what they talked about after I left them alone, but whatever he said, Hale was extremely calm and collected before he left the apartment at four in the morning. Next night, he called to announce that he was engaged.

This happened in June, and right now, these insane people decided to get married in December because they wanted a winter wedding. If it weren't for the heated hall, everyone would've frozen to death.

"I think I saw Eve with her date earlier," I tell James and he frowns at me.

"Why are you keeping tabs on my assistant?"

"Keeping tabs on the assistant's date. He was pretty hot." I shrug and he laughs, finally catching on.

"Are you going away this week?" He asks, and I nod, sighing.

"Yes, Elena said she can't go with Alex leaving for the honeymoon so they are just expanding the team to have the project under control," I explain, aware that he probably already knows everything.

I've officially become an employee at Clark Enterprise. Last year my college didn't permit full time work, so I had to show on record that it was still an internship basis while I still held the position offered to me by Elena. After my graduation though, I took the work full-time, this time as a finance operation associate. There was a job opening and I wanted to strive for better than assistant position.

My graduation, however, was extremely awkward yet a proud day. My college approached me to have Carrack or James as the chief guest for graduation ceremony, given that it was a business school. Since Carrack couldn't make it, I somehow persisted James to be the face of the company and represent it.

So, having my husband as a chief guest at graduation was awkward but I was proud to have aced with amazing grades. A week later, James took me to LA as a graduating present, where I fell extremely sick due to my periods and we spent the entire trip in the house. We were supposed to visit Birmingham for his mother's death anniversary too, but due to some important business only managed four days away like last year. But we plan to visit there next year, for sure.

This week, however, I'm visiting Texas for work. It's usually James who has to take the business trips but this is the first time I would be going away. I'm pretty excited for it, given that I would get most of the time to myself. I haven't really made any friends in the office, just civil-term colleagues. Elena and I get along fine, but it doesn't help that I'm married to the CEO, so I tend to keep my distance just like others.

"When are you leaving?" He asks, taking two champagne glasses from the server. He hands over one to me and I take a sip, the taste easily flowing down my tongue.

"Two days. I'll be back by the weekend."

"And then you'll hang out with your friends. When can I have you all to myself?" He scowls at me, making me give him an amused smile.

"Careful, Mr. Clark. You almost sound like you're going to miss me." I tease him, his scowl turning into a smirk as he raises his eyebrows at me.

"Says the woman who spends as much time out of the apartment as possible when I'm not around."

"Home isn't home without one of us there, is it?"

He doesn't say anything, just wraps his free arm tightly around me before he kisses me. I want to say it surprises me that he's kissing me in public, but I think James has 'started giving less fucks' in his language. I sigh in the kiss before parting away.

"C'mon, let's do the toast before they decide to leave the party."

"Not everyone's you, James. Some people like to enjoy their wedding." I remind him and his expression slightly turns into a sour one, despite knowing that I'm joking.

James wanted for us to go to Paris for our first anniversary, to relive our honeymoon in much better ways, but I disagreed. We spent the day in bed with our phones on silent. For his birthday though, we went to his favourite seafood restaurant for lunch and for dinner, I had organised a small get-together with very few people – Carrack, Hale, Alex, John, Gigi, my parents, and my brother.

Just as their thought crosses my mind, I spot Gigi and John bickering with each other. Leaving James to carry out a conversation with a colleague, I make my way over to them and Gigi's face stretches into a huge smile when she spots me.

"Oh Lily, thank god. Would you tell this stupid person that ice cream and cola are the worst combination ever?" She glares at John who just shrugs at me.

"Don't drag her into this, Gigi. Fight your own battles." He reprimands her before opening his arms. "C'mon here, Lily girl. Give your old man a hug."

I laugh, hugging him before doing the same with Gigi. "You both clean up pretty well, don't you?"

"Please, this is nothing. We're performing later." Gigi grins, and I can't hold in my surprise.

"Wait, Hale agreed to that?"

"What does he know? He's an idiot, Alex told me I should go ahead with it." She winks at me.

I shake my head with amusement. "God, I would love to see Hale's face."

"Where's your grumpy ass husband?"

"Oh, he's about to start with the toasts." I look over the crowd before spotting James by the dance area before he goes over to the mic set up.

He starts to clink his glass on cue, grabbing everyone's attention as he looks over the crowd, his eyes meeting mine from a distance. He winks at me, making me grin before his eyes moving to the couple. I move further in the crowd to get a clearer view of him.

"Hope you all are having a lovely time." He starts, clearing his throat. "I've known Hale for eight years now. Those who know us know how we met, and while that's an absolutely hilarious and embarrassing story, I would spare the details to mention that he hasn't changed a bit. He's still the dorky twenty-year-old kid who punched me and then catered to my wounds an hour later, because that's how kind he is. I know this sounds corny, Hale, so spare me the tears because this is also an apology for not letting you make a toast at my wedding."

I hear Hale shout 'ass' from where he's sitting at the table with Alex, a huge grin on his face before James continues. "Alex and Hale are those two people who were just meant to happen, I mean, except these two, our entire office saw it coming. But it wasn't until Alex came to me for advice did I know that I was really rooting for the two of them. Now, Hale you don't know this and I never wanted to tell you if it ended horribly, but man, you do work amazingly on ultimatums."

James laughs when he sees the realisation dawn upon Hale, "Yes, I told her and seeing that you're married now, I know that there's no better woman for you than her. You're my best friend, my only friend, but Alex, I'm so sorry to tell your husband is in love with me, so good luck competing with this." He motions towards himself before chuckling, shaking his head as the entire crowd breaks into laughter. "We all like to believe that we're doing fine in our lives until love touches us, that's when the realisation hits about the difference a single person can make. I'm so glad you've found that person in each other, congratulations! To Alex and Hale."

After everyone raises their glasses and toasts to them, I feel James's eyes on me as he makes his way from the crowd. His words touched my heart more deeply than I'm willing to admit, because it's true. I liked to believe I had a life before James but I was merely living. After meeting him, after growing in love with him, I've realised now I'm breathing, I'm thriving because I'm in love – that's the difference love makes, that's the difference he has made.

"Hey, why are you crying?"

I snap out of my daze when I feel his fingers grazing my cheek, wiping away the tears and my eyes meet his. He looks worried, and I close the distance between us by kissing him lightly. When I part, I shake my head, sniffing a little.

"I love you."

"I love you." He promises, kissing my forehead as he pulls me closer. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, just... that was beautiful."

He reads my face before giving me a small smile, "Thanks, love. Do you want to head back?"

"No, James. It's your best friend's wedding." I remind him, my head resting on his shoulder and he sighs, nodding as he kisses my hair.

"Just say the word, okay? We'll be out of here, he'll understand."

"No. Will you dance with me?" I offer and he nods, taking my hand in his before heading over to the dance floor.

The rest of the reception goes beautifully. When John and Gigi performed, Hale face-palmed so hard but eventually started enjoying it when he saw what a hit they were. I knew Gigi approved of Alex more than anyone.

After dancing with James, I danced with John and then with Hale. He sounded more ecstatic than I've ever seen, leaving me feel a little envy about how my wedding with James was the complete opposite. We barely spoke to each other, but I wouldn't change a thing about any of it.

He's here, he's the love of my life, and he loves me. There's nothing else in this life I can ask for.

After we left the reception, James and I went for a walk in the freezing weather with me in my sneakers under the dress that Reece is always kind enough to keep a spare pair in the trunk of the car after I broke my heels during clubbing once. It wasn't until my nose turned numb did I ask him to give her a call to bring the car around.

"Are you sure you kept everything?" James asks me as I insist on dragging my suitcase out of the car two days later.

I nod, for the tenth time as I try not to glare at him. I don't want to leave with a sour mood but he's panicking and that's freaking me out. He reaches again for my luggage but I pull it away, "Babe, I got it."

My voice is much calmer than how I really feel. I've never travelled alone before. The most I've gone is to another town to stay with my maternal aunt during my teenage years in a train. But that was years ago, and I suddenly feel like I've forgotten how to board a plane, and James isn't helping.

I told Elena that I would book my tickets separately because that's better than feeling like an out-cast the entire flight with the rest of the bunch. My eyes meet James's and he gives me a questioning look.

"Where are you lost?"

"Nowhere, I have to rush before I miss my flight."

He nods, sighing as he steps forward and kisses me, his lips tracing mine like he's trying to remember how it feels. Fuck, he's good. He knows what he's doing so I part away before I give in.

"If I miss the flight, it just means I'll have to take another one, not that I'll stay."

He fakes a horrified look at the accusation before letting out a grumble. "Shit, fine. Go. But Lil, if you get your period, which you might and you fall sick, I'm coming down there. I don't care whether you throw a fit after that."

I roll my eyes at him. It's true that my periods are due this week but LA was once in a while thing, I don't fall sick like that anymore. He just overreacts more than I do, and that's saying something. "Alright, Doc. Anything else?"

"Just bring my wife home in one piece?"

"Yes, sir." I grin before kissing him again and waving at him.

After successfully boarding the flight, I sigh as I put in my earphones, playing the songs James recently added to a new playlist we made. Just as I'm about to close my eyes to get some sleep for the next couple of hours, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Lillian?"

The woman looks familiar but it takes me a second to actually come up with her name until it dawns upon me, "Anna?"

"Yes, hey! What a coincidence, are you travelling to Austin?"

I nod, "Yup, for work. You?"

"My family's down in Austin. Wow, I haven't seen you since graduation."

I laugh awkwardly, "Yeah, I immediately started working, so just caught up on that. I'm sorry about Nat and you, though."

"Hey, that's alright. We both knew it was chill." She offers a small smile "How long are you in the city?"

"Rest of the week before I head back on Friday night."

"Damn girl, Fridays are dope. But no worries, if you want to hang out just drop me a text. I'll show you the city, I know it by heart now." Her smile grows wider as her excitement grows while I internally groan. Shit, I wanted a peaceful getaway. But I don't have to call her.

"Yes, sure. Thanks." I give her a smile before scrolling down my playlist while she goes back to picking out a magazine.

The two-hour flight goes with here and there of a chit-chat. She very discreetly asks me if I'm still married but doesn't bring up the topic again. After landing and collecting our bags, Anna gives me her number and moves on her own while I exit the airport.

A company car is already waiting for me, given that we'll be working from the regional branch of Clark Enterprise down here, but first I want to head back to the hotel. I'm glad I got an evening flight because that means I get to spend the rest of the day on my own, and also prepare for tomorrow's presentation.

I text James once I get to the hotel that I've reached and it doesn't surprise when I see that it's a five-star luxurious hotel. Just as I'm done unpacking, I go to take a shower. I decide to go to dine alone, which actually turns out pretty liberating than I could've imagined. I thought it would be awkward but it made me feel... at peace.

The entire night I prepare for the presentation next morning, which goes extremely well but I see the way things work in the company. It always leaves me astonished that somehow all these people are working under my husband, and well, Carrack. It's astounding and admirable – makes me wonder how much work must have gone into it. It inspires me to strive for more, just like always.

After I'm free from the office for the day, my phone starts ringing and it's James, a smile taking over my face as I receive the call. I hear him dramatically groan on the other side as soon as I pick up, "How do you do it?"

"What?"

"I'm going insane here, love. I don't know how you manage to stay back home. Not to sound clingy, but here's a new rule, we aren't travelling without each other."

I laugh at his words, shaking my head as I unlock the key to my hotel room. "No, no rules. We're not attached to the hip."

"Yes, we are."

"James," I laugh, removing my footwear as I start to unbutton my shirt. "What are you up to?"

"I've been home since an hour. I cleaned our room, living room, kitchen and now I'm bored and tired."

"Wow, when we decided to do things on our own by dismissing Mrs. George completely for the mansion, I had no idea you would be such a help," I tell him honestly.

I love Mrs. George but the idea of house help after a while didn't sit well with me. Carrack didn't mind and that was his own deal, but we were making changes in our lives because I wanted to get rid of the impositions that came along with being rich.

"Please, you make me sound like a lazy-ass." He complains, making me smile. James has actually grown so much since I last saw him, or just grown more comfortable around me that it's absolutely beautiful to see his development. "What are you doing?"

"I just got back to my room, so I'm currently unbuttoning my blouse."

When he doesn't respond for a second, I frown and look at the screen to see if he's disconnected the call but notice that he's sending a facetime request. A loud laugh leaves me when I notice it, shaking my head. "I'm not accepting it."

"Lillian." I hear him groan. "Please, just want to see your lovely beautiful face."

"That's it?" I ask, teasing.

"Yes, now c'mon, hurry up."

After I do accept his request, I grin at him through the screen. He's lying down on the couch with his hair literally a mess above his head, his beard growing more than before because he probably didn't care to trim it this morning. Looking at his face makes me realise how much I miss him, and how tired he really looks.

"So, what do you think of my face?"

"Gorgeous, now be a darling and move back a little." He smiles amusedly and I shake my head, laughing. "I miss you, love. Are you having a good time?"

"Yeah, did I tell you I ran into Anna?" I say as I set the phone on the desk in the room before moving to change.

"Who?" He asks, sitting up as I remove my blouse and slip out of the skirt before reaching into the closet for a pair of his hoodie I carried. "I liked you without it."

"Yes, but you love me with it."

"That I do, Mrs. Clark. Now tell me, Anna who?"

So, for the next five minutes I remind James who Anna is. For someone who meets so many people, he only takes a few minutes to recall her. Once I tell him what she proposed, he immediately speaks up, "Go! Give her a call, go out."

"What?" I run a hand through my hair before tying it up in a bun. "I'm not doing that."

"Yes, one of us has to enjoy being away. I mean, I would head out if Hale was here, but my only friend is on his honeymoon."

I pout at him in response, "For someone who teases me for being an introvert, I have more friends than you."

"I never claimed to be an extrovert, Lil. I'm just good with the clients, rest I hate everyone, except you, and Hale has his moments."

His words make me grin, "So, I should go out?"

"Yes, definitely. Just not a strip club for the sake of revenge."

"Too late."

•••

double update! are you guys enjoying the story so far?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 113K 54
"You see him as an heir of your empire and not as a family member. All you care about is the inheritance and not the child. If all you want is an hei...
7.8M 79.7K 17
Samara comes closer to me, now studying my face. Her eyes are wandering all over my facial features. I contort my face in confusion at her weird star...
393K 9.7K 51
[COMPLETED] #Ranks : #14 on 30/11/18 (category : Ex) #17 on 29/6/19 ( category : adultromance) #57 on 29/6/19 ( category: Suspense) Excerpt : "I can...
9.5M 309K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...