Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

The Church of Seiros:

294 13 8
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Mercedes:

Emile walked closely behind Mercedes as they made their way to where Edelgard and Hubert were.

Mercedes smiled slightly at the thought of her little Brother trying to be protective, she should be the one protecting.

Well it mattered not, who did what.

Emile never spoke a word as they reached the former Emperor and dark mage.

Edelgard turned around quickly and raised her axe... A Hero's Relic?

"Ah, my apologies," Edelgard said and lowered her weapon "I thought perhaps that you were both Church soldiers" she added.

Mercedes nodded and smiled, "No worries, I understand" she said.

"Lady Edelgard" Hubert called out as he was squinting around at the battlefield, "The enemy's movement is suspicious" he murmured "I think they may have some tactic in mind" he added.

Edelgard nodded, "If so, then let's face them without delay. We'll form a defensive line and hold it to the death" she said then turned to Mercedes and Jeritza, "Strike down all who approach!" she commanded.

Mercedes had a feeling that was more to Emile than it was to her.

Anger flared briefly in Mercedes, is that all she sees her sweet Emile as? The blood thirsty Death Knight?

While they are at the monastery Mercedes will gladly work to rectify that image of him.

She followed Edelgard and Hubert as they led the way through the narrow passage on the right side of the monastery, it was overgrown with weeds and grass.

"Brace yourselves" Edelgard called out, then a church soldier lunged out of nowhere at her.

Mercedes was about to cast a fire spell, but Hubert beat her to it and fired a Miasma ball at the soldier.

"Are you alright Lady Edelgard?" Hubert asked.

Edelgard nodded, "Yes, I merely got a scratch" she added.

Mercedes approached Edelgard and cast a heal spell on her.

"Ah, thank you," Edelgard said.

Mercedes nodded, "It was no trouble" she said.

Hubert walked ahead of them, "Lady Edelgard this part re-unites us with Claude's group" he said and paused for a moment, "Which looks to be for the best" he added.

Edelgard frowned, "What do you mean?" she asked.

"More troops came out of hiding," Hubert said.

Edelgard nodded, "Alright, let us go and help them then" she said and began heading that way, Mercedes and Emile followed as well.

"Hey!" Claude called out "Perfect timing" he added.

"It seems so," Edelgard replied and squinted off in the distance at the soldiers who were heading their way. "Is that Seteth?" Edelgard asked, she sounded uncertain.

Claude looked in that direction, "Well I'll be damned" he said while shaking his head "I knew we would have to fight him sooner or later... But I didn't anticipate it being this soon" he added.

Edelgard nodded, "As did I" she sighed "But we cannot falter from this path either" she said sadly "So we must forge on" she added and raised her axe.

Claude sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, "Yeah, I know" he said "But that speech was a bit depressing" he added.

Edelgard frowned at him, "The truth is depressing" she said bluntly.

Claude nodded "Yeah, which is why we should do what we can to keep people in high spirits" he said.

"Hey" Sylvain called out from behind them "Now is not the time for this" he said in a serious voice "Hurry up and lead us to victory" he added.

Mercedes smiled; Sylvain was right they couldn't afford to be distracted.

Ingrid:

It was a little weird.

When Ingrid thought about it, how quickly things changed.

One week ago, they had been focusing their efforts on the Empire, preparing to obliterate their forces with the joint army of the Kingdom and Alliance and yet... Here they are.

Fighting alongside the former Emperor nonetheless and her second in command.

No...

Weird didn't even begin to cover it.

"Ingrid are you injured?" Mercedes asked.

Ah, right. Now is not the place to let her thoughts go idle.

Ingrid nodded her head, "No, Mercedes I am alright" she said "Although, Sylvain did take quite the hit a bit ago" she added.

Mercedes frowned at Sylvain, "Why didn't you say anything?!" she scolded.

Sylvain shrugged and remained silent.

He'd been like that lately, it seemed as if he were a mile away some days.

Ingrid will be sure to press him about it later on, they need to fight first.

"They are sending their Pegasus fliers to greet us," Hubert said.

Claude nodded, "No, worries I can handle them" he said "Too bad Bernadetta isn't here to help" he added.

"You need to focus, Claude," Edelgard said sternly.

Claude shook his head but remained silent. He must have realized it wasn't worth arguing against.

Once the Pegasus riders were in range, he fired his arrows at them, it hurt Ingrid a bit to see such a majestic beast such as a Pegasus slain.

She just hoped none of them were Galatea Pegasus's.

"Brace yourselves everyone" Claude called out "More soldiers are heading our way" he added.

Sylvain rushed beside Claude so that he could fire spells at them from a distance so by the time they reached them, it would be no hassle to take them down.

Ingrid watched as Edelgard destroyed a blockade that was covering a part of where they were.

She is going to advance.

Ingrid lifted her Relic and followed after her.

Church soldiers soon began to advance on the two of them. Ingrid swung her lance at a nearby soldier.

"Ingrid duck" A voice shouted from behind her and she listened, narrowly dodging a fire ball which hit her enemy square in the chest. They fell to the ground.

Ingrid turned around to see Sylvain smiling at her, "Good thing you listened, huh?" he said.

Ingrid frowned at him, "Do you realize how risky that was" she said sternly.

"We'll argue later" Sylvain said and raised the Lance of Ruins, "Right now we have bigger problems" he added.

"Where the hell is Seteth pulling these troops out of?" Claude said in an annoyed tone.

"No use whining over it" Edelgard said sternly "We must keep moving forward" she added.

Claude frowned, "Well obviously" he said "But that doesn't mean that I can't complain a bit" he added.

Edelgard ignored him and waited for the next wave of soldiers to reach them.

They came and were soon defeated.

"Hey guys," Sylvain called out, "I think they may be trying to tire us out," he said.

Claude was silent for a moment, "If so, we need to reach the commander soon" he said.

"We'll need to get into a formation and push through then" Edelgard said "Anyone who can take a lot of hits needs to come to the front with me, and the rest of you weaken them while we advance" she said sternly.

Hubert shook his head, "Lady Edelgard that is unwise" he said.

"Hubert it makes the most sense" Edelgard rebutted "Plus Mercedes will be able to heal us as we move forward" she added.

"That I will," Mercedes called out.

Hubert sighed, "Alright" he murmured.

Ingrid had to admit, she was mildly impressed by the former Emperor suggesting herself for the front lines, but then again, his Highness would do the same thing.

Maybe it had to do with the fact she was villainized a bit in Ingrid's head.

"Hilda, I see you trying to hide" Claude called out, "Get to the front beside Edelgard, you too Sylvain" he added.

Sylvain nodded and went to the front of them, Hilda on the other hand was a bit more difficult.

Hilda glared at Claude "If I die, I will haunt you" she said bluntly.

"You won't die, stop being a baby" Claude said.

Hilda huffed then went up to the front with them.

Claude shook his head, "Jeritza, you should go up with them as well" he said.

The Death Knight followed his orders to Ingrid's surprise.

"Mercedes you stay behind us, and heal" Claude said, then turned to Ingrid and Hubert "The three of us will weaken them for the people in the front" he said "Ingrid if anyone tries to break our formation you stop them" he added.

Ingrid nodded.

"Alright, enough we need to hurry," Edelgard said sternly.

Claude nodded, "Yeah, yeah" he sighed and with that they began to slowly work their way through the church soldiers.

Byleth:

Byleth crouched down in the shrubs.

"Is that firewood?" Felix asked from beside her squinting at the soldier that they were spying on in an attempt to see how many were around the ballista area.

And luckily there didn't look to be very many.

Dimitri frowned deeply, "I think so" he replied "They must be trying to burn us out" he added.

Byleth sighed, "Well let's not let them succeed then" she said and lunged at the soldier carrying the wood.

Felix and Dimitri followed her lead.

The soldier carrying the wood fell quickly.

Byleth felt a tad bit guilty about fighting someone who wasn't carrying a weapon... But this is war.

There is no time for guilt.

Dimitri handles the Brigand and Felix fights the soldier manning the ballista.

Soon there are no enemies left.

"Well that should stop whatever they had planned" Felix said as he wiped the blood off of his blade.

Byleth nodded, "Right" she sighed then looked around. "Up ahead" Byleth began "There is a path that leads to the right, there we should be able to flank the enemy while Claude and Edelgard fight their way to us" she said.

"My guess is Seteth will be waiting there," Dimitri said.

Byleth nodded, "I would assume so as well" she said.

Dimitri shifted around awkwardly for a moment, "Are you sure that you can fight him?" he asked.

Byleth narrowed her eyes at Dimitri, "I will do what I must" she said "Plus, based on what Flayn said I doubt he intends to fight to the death" she added.

Dimitri frowned, "But still" he began but was cut off by Felix.

"Byleth said she could handle it Dimitri" Felix said sternly "She is not a child" he added.

Dimitri's face grew red, "Ah, right you are" he said in a sheepish tone then turned to Byleth "My apologies" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "Come on we have bigger things to worry about than that right now" she said.

Felix chuckled softly and Byleth frowned at him, then turned and began leading them down the path.

They finally reached the end of it that led to the right, there was a patch of tall grass to hide them from view.

"Well, it looks like you were right Byleth" Felix murmured, "There he is" he added.

Byleth looked forward at the green haired man who sat atop a brown Wyvern.

A pang of guilt flooded her, she remembered the night she left for Enbarr and Seteth warned her about Rhea, and yet... There he was putting his life on the line for her.

It saddened Byleth.

But she understood his sentiment as well.

And yet... As Flayn said to her, this is a battle she cannot turn away from.

Seteth...

Byleth walks through the tall grass, heading straight to the green haired man.

It isn't long before he turns and meets her gaze.

Seteth's eyebrows were furrowed deeply, he guided his Wyvern over to Byleth still he was a few feet from her.

"Trespassing on holy ground is a grave sin indeed. You must atone for it with your life!" Seteth shouted as he dove at Byleth with his axe.

She narrowly dodged the attack.

Byleth gripped the Sword of the Creator, then swung it.

"I'm sorry" Byleth whispered as it struck Seteth's Wyvern.

Seteth clung to his Wyvern, Byleth had to admit she was impressed by his resilience on the matter.

Although it was short lived.

Areadbhar flew through the air and tore into the Wyvern's wing, causing it to come crashing down.

Byleth felt a pang of guilt over the Wyvern having been harmed, but it was not the first Wyvern to fall in battle nor would it be the last.

Seteth fell to the floor.

Byleth walked over to him and stared down at him, "I do not expect your forgiveness" she said bluntly, and it was true. She didn't expect it. "I'll only say this, I am sorry that my path led to us fighting one another" Byleth said sadly, shutting her eyes for a moment "Flayn is safe, she fled" she said then opened her eyes to see his expression.

Seteth looked up at her with a look she couldn't quite decipher, "I see..." he murmured "You spared her life..." he added and shut his eyes. "I'm sorry, Rhea... For Flayn's sake, I must take my leave to retreat..." Seteth said softly.

Byleth knew the words weren't meant for her ears, and yet she was the only one to hear them.

"Wait-" Byleth called out.

Seteth opened his eyes and looked up at her.

Byleth hesitated for a moment, "What am I?" she asked quietly, hoping. No, praying that Dimitri nor Felix heard her.

Seteth's eyes softened a bit at the question.

Did he...

Did he pity her?

"If you survive this war, find us" Seteth said quietly "We'll talk then" he added then warped away.

Byleth's stomach sank.

A hand fell upon her shoulder, Byleth turned her head.

Dimitri.

Of course, it was Dimitri, isn't it always Dimitri.

"Byleth" Dimitri said softly, "Come on, let's find the others" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Right," she said.

Dimitri smiled at her softly then led the way to where Claude and the others were.

"Dammit, there are still soldiers," Felix said.

Dimitri nodded, "Halt" Dimitri shouted "Your general has retreated" he added "I advise you all to do the same if not, we will have no choice but to take your lives" Dimitri concluded.

Byleth saw the looks of apprehension on the faces of the church soldiers.

And slowly they withdrew their weapons and began to leave from Garreg Mach.

Byleth let out a sigh of relief.

Dimitri watched them, then he suddenly stopped a soldier.

"You" Dimitri said in a stern voice.

The church soldier looked up with frightened eyes, "Yes..." he squeaked.

"Tell the archbishop that we will not negotiate with her" Dimitri said, "This war will end with her in the ground" he hissed "And tell that wrench Cornelia she better brace herself as well" Dimitri concluded.

The soldier nodded then scurried off.

"Dimitri?" Byleth called out.

Dimitri turned to her; he'd done well with tampering his darkness but... Something must have set him off. "Forgive me" Dimitri murmured and hung his head "I lost myself for a moment" he added.

"At least you didn't kill him," Felix said.

Byleth looked at him in surprise, "Felix, were those words of comfort?" she asked.

Felix went red, "Shut up" he said sternly.

Byleth smiled and was going to tease him further but she was cut off by Dimitri.

"I'm going to head back" Dimitri said, his gaze remained to the floor then swiftly he turned around and left.

Byleth frowned.

She knew she should probably go after him... But now isn't the time.

"Come on Felix, let's find the others" Byleth said while shaking her head.

Felix nodded and followed her.

They soon found the others, "Ah! There you are" Claude called out then jogged up to Byleth. Claude's eyebrows furrowed, "Where is his highness?" he asked.

"He went ahead," Felix replied.

"Hmm, I see" Claude sighed "Anyways I take that you three fought Seteth?" he asked.

Byleth nodded, "Yes we did" she replied.

"That explains why the troops withdrew," Edelgard called out from behind Claude, her eyes searched them.

Byleth was certain she was looking for Dimitri, but Edelgard never asked.

"Well, let's head back then" Claude said.

Byleth nodded her head in agreement, "Of course" she said.

At the entrance gates of Garreg Mach the others were there waiting, Byleth was glad for it. In case they had failed in repealing the church forces, they would still have back up.

Byleth heard cheers and congratulations being said to them as they entered the gates drenched in the blood of the fallen. She ignored them.

After having to fight Flayn and Seteth... It didn't seem like something to celebrate.

Byleth walked to the sauna to relieve herself from the messes of the battle, and once finished she retired to her room for the evening.

Both Flayn and Seteth's words rang through Byleth's head.

Did they know?

They have to know that if Rhea falls so does Byleth...

And yet...

Ugh, it matters not then...

Just another thing she will have to live with.

Byleth's thoughts are abruptly disturbed by a loud knock at her door.

For a moment she considers ignoring it.

"Byleth" the person calls out "I know you are in there" they add.

Was that... Felix?

Byleth sighs then gets up and opens the door to reveal Felix standing there.

"What's up Felix?" Byleth asked.

"The boar speak with him" Felix said.

Byleth frowned, "Why, is he alright?" she asked.

"You saw him earlier, how he got after speaking with that soldier" Felix said "The last thing we need is for him to spiral" he sighed "And I know you are probably the only person he will listen to" he added.

Byleth sighed, "Alright" she said "Where is he?" she added.

Felix scratched his head, "His room I think?" he said sounding unsure. She nodded and left from her quarters to speak with Dimitri.

Byleth stood outside of Dimitri's room.

As she was about to knock, she heard voices speaking inside.

Was that... A woman's voice?

Byleth's hand receded back, only for the door to swing open.

"Oh! Byleth!" Marianne said in a soft tender voice, "Did you come to see his Highness?" she asked.

"Byleth?" Dimitri's voice rang out.

Byleth quickly shook her head, "Ah, no I just came to check on him per request of Felix" she said "But I see that he is busy so I'll go" she added and turned down the hall.

"Wait- Byleth" Marianne began "I feel as though perhaps I should explain" she said.

Byleth chuckled softly, "Oh, Marianne" she sighed "You don't have to explain it to me" she said "Dimitri is merely my ally, nothing more" she concluded and left down the hall.

"Byleth" Dimitri called out from behind, she didn't look.

She continued till she made it back to the comfort of her room.

What...

What is this gnawing feeling in her stomach?

Byleth sighs and lays on her bed, as much as she'd hate to admit it. She knows what this feeling is. But she'll be damned if she ever admits it, so she pushes it away and slowly drifts off to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

957 15 35
A Fire Emblem Three Houses high school vampire AU. Byleth is used to her father's job causing them to move suddenly, and has to start her senior year...
16.4K 440 26
Presea is a mythical being known as a Pterolykos, a winged wolf. She has been the best friend of Claude von Riegan since they met when they were smal...
2.4K 32 12
Jeralt had gone through so much and has gone through the struggles of being a single, widowed father. He watched as his only daughter and child, Byle...
5.6K 92 15
Following the supposed death of Sephiroth, former First Class SOLDIER Cloud Strife traveled around Gaia searching for more work as a mercenary. Howev...