Freezing fire: Jarida and Hic...

By lemony_snickett

The big four have been through a lot together, but as people, challenges and more fight into their lives, can... More

Freezing fire
The two schools
The Quidditch match
Goblet of Fire
A/N
Into the Goblet
Out of the Goblet
Preparation
The First Task
Yule Ball part 2
Christmas Cheer
Second Task
Confrontation
A/N
The Third Task
The Battle of Hogwarts
13 Years Later

The Yule Ball

1.1K 31 39
By lemony_snickett

Jack's p.o.v.

Almost a month later, the compliments finally died off. Which, also meant the Yule Ball was coming up. Because, obviously nothing will go right for me. Here's how I found out.

I was in Potions, not listening to professor Bunnymund (as usual), when he said “All right, mates, pack your stuff and follow me."

We all sleepily packed our cauldrons. Only Punzie seemed to care what was happening.

“What if something bad is happening?" She said, her emerald eyes wide.

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

“Punzie was right, this is bad."

We were sitting on some benches, the boys on one side, girls on the other. Professor Tooth was standing in front of us all, describing the Yule Ball. Apparently, it was a Christmas Ball, where we would wear the dress robes we were expected to bring, and, believed it or not, have a few students sing. When Professor Tooth asked for volunteers, too my utmost surprise, Merida raised her hand. Our teacher clapped excitedly.

“Perfect! Now about the dancing..." The boys' side shifted uncomfortably and muttered among ourselves, while almost all of the girls stood up immediately. Professor Tooth paired us up, and I was with Punzie (It could've been worse). Merida was with a guy named Kristoff, and  Hiccup was with Joy. I spotted Rose with Snotlout, a Durmstrang guy. She caught my eye and mouthed 'Help me´. I shrugged and turned to Punzie.

“One, two, three! One, two, three!" Tooth was so exited about leading this, which was beyond me.

“So, are you going to ask Merida?" I heard Punzie whisper. I look at her, astonished. Am I really that obvious? I think.

“Seriously? I saw how disappointed you were when Mer was paired up with Kristoff." She said, retracting her foot. “Don't step on me!" I apologize and try to dance properly. I look over at Merida and consider how I should ask her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Later, at dinner I came up with my idea. I would butter her up, then ask her afterwards (bad plan, I know).

Merida finally bounded in, with a smile on her face. She sat at her table and promptly began eating dinner. Thinking about my task ahead, I did the same.

After stuffing myself full of bread pudding and shepard's pie, trying some bouillabaisse, and having at least 3 slices of apple pie, I went over to Merida. I got quite a few dirty looks walking down the Gryffindor table, so when I got to her, I forgot my plan. Thus, leading to one of the many,many,many,many,many embarrassing moments of my life.

“Wilyougotothballwithme?" I sputtered.

“What?" Merida laughed. “Sheesh, you must be insane."

I gave a nervous laugh and tried again.

“Will you go to the ball with me?"

Merida's face fell. She looked around nervously, then looked back at me.

“Well, Jack, if you'd asked me earlier I would go with you, but..." she trailed off.

“Oh, ok! Totally fine. It's all good." I tried my best on the outside, but inside, my heart crumbled into tiny pieces. I decided I would go for some revenge.

“So, who was it?" I asked, as casually as I could muster. She looked at me and said “Hans."

Later that night, my pillow was probably going to report me for abuse. I had gone to my dormitory so early, no one else was there, so I yelled and hit my pillow. It wasn't the same. It would be better to curse his nose off, but that would be a small victory, considering I would be expelled. But, another unfortunate outcome came to mind: I didn't have a date.

I got up early the next morning (Thankfully Saturday), and went out to the Quidditch field. And I wasn't the only one. Cinderella told Carrie to train on the field every day, for one hour. After she got done, I went over to her and asked her.

“Sorry, Phillip already asked me." She said, giving me a weak smile. Phillip was a Ravenclaw guy that was the best at everything.  So eventually, I asked Rose, who said yes. She's pretty so it wasn't that bad.
*°~*°~*°~*°~*°Night of the ball~*°~*°~*°~*°~*°~*°~

I couldn't stop laughing.

“Shut it!" Hiccup said, turning scarlet. He had come to my dorm to get ready for the ball. I wear black robes with a white trim. It's not fancy, but at least I didn't look like Hiccup. He wore patchy brown robes under a musty shawl. His father sent it to him this morning, but thankfully he didn't open it.

“Punzie won't mind!" I said, stifling a laugh. Hiccup looked dubiously at me and looked at the mirror.

“Fine." He said. We went up the stairs and met with our dates. Punzie wore a lilac and pink dress that went down to her ankles. Rose wore a silver dress with a white hem. She looked me up and down and smirked.

“At least we match." She said taking my arm. I turned to Hiccup, but he and Punzie seemed kind of lost in their own world, so Rose and I went by ourselves. We made polite conversation, but it was awkward since this was technically a date. When we stepped into the Great Hall, we both looked around in wonder. There were 12 trees around the Great Hall and one big one up front, decorated with floating candles, glittering ornaments, and rainbow garlands.

“Wow." We said in unison; but I realized it was for different reasons. I was staring around at the decorations, and Rose was looking up at the top of the stairs. I tore my eyes from the mistletoe floating in bubbles, to what she was looking at.

At the top of the stairs was Merida, in a royal blue ball gown. Gold lined the hem, and lacey sleeves trailed past her hands. Merida's curls seemed slightly less insane, now more wavy. Hans (wearing a white shirt, navy sash, and black pants) came up and took her arm. She waved at me and they both went off to the dance floor. I was watching their disappearing forms, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Rose and I spun around to see Bunnymund standing there.

“Oi, you blokes better get to the dance floor." He said.

“Um, what?" I said, dumbfounded. Rose stomped on my foot.

“The champions are supposed to be first." She mumbled, then took my hand and led me to the middle of the floor, where everyone but the 3 champions stood off to the side. Carrie stood with Phillip, arm in arm. Luna stood with a Durmstrang guy, who had short cropped black hair and blue eyes. Suddenly, from up on the stage, Professor Tooth conjured up some music (don't ask me how, I was surprised too). We positioned ourselves and began to dance. Rose knew where exactly to place her feet, which was one of the few times she showed her inner Beauxbatons. It was actually nice, and soon enough everyone else was dancing too.

After almost 15 minutes of dancing, the music was interrupted by Tooth's excited squeal.

“Ok! I know we are having fun, but now it's time for our first student singer, Merida DunBroch!"

Everyone turns to Merida who goes up to the stage. She does the Sonorus charm so we can all hear her, and starts to sing in the most beautiful voice I've ever heard.

When the cold wind's a a-calling

And the sky is clear and bright

Misty mountains sing and beckon,

Lead me out into the light

I will ride, I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

Where dark woods hide secrets

And mountains are fierce and bold

Deep waters hold reflections

Of times lost long ago

I will hear their every story

Take hold of my own dream

Be as strong as the seas are stormy

And proud as an eagle's scream

I will ride, I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

And touch the sky

Chase the wind, chase the wind

Touch the sky...

As she finished, a hush fell over everyone. I heard wind blow through the hall. She gingerly began to walk off the stage, when there was and explosion of applause. She grinned her ginger grin, and walked back to Hans. Tooth returned to the stage.

“Ookay, next is-" She started.

“Me!" I gasped. I wanted to do this before I could take it back. “I'll go."

Tooth look aghast, but stepped aside. I racked my brain, and decided to do a sailor song I once heard. I cleared my throat and began. (Before reading this, turn on I am a Pirate and You are a princess, to give you a better idea).

Is there a hole in your heart?
Or am I mistaken?
I can see your capillary veins.
You be the patient, I'll be the surgeon,
Just like first grade, on the playground all day.
And soon enough you'll hear the blacktop calling for you.
After that there's not much else you can do.
...
I am a pirate, you are a princess,
we could sail the seven seas.
Bring back some presents for all the people.
Everyone will love us! Even Courtney will love us!
I am a pirate, you are a princess,
we could sail the seven seas.
Bring back some presents for all the people.
Everyone will love us! Even Courtney will love us!
...
Have you forgotten your place?
I'm being sarcastic.
That step could kill a bus of kids.
Yeah, we have a good thing, she is a bad thing.
Why would she want to break us?
Who would want to break us?
And after that you will hear the blacktop calling your name,
and then, your life will never be the same.
...
I am a pirate, you are a princess,
we could sail the seven seas.
Bring back some presents for all the people,
Everyone will love us! Even Courtney will love us!

Everyone applauded. I was glad it went so well. I was glad I did it. I looked over at Merida and Hans. Hans looked like he wanted to throw something, and Merida was as red as her hair, smiling and clapping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later, Rose got bored and decided to go socialize. I said I was gonna get drinks, which we both knew was code for I wanted to to talk with Merida. I went over to the punch bowl(which was enchanted to never be empty), and saw Merida without Hans.

“You're a surprisingly good singer." I said trying to be suave. She looked at me and smirked.

“You're not so bad yourself." She said. I felt my face burn up.

“So, did you figure out who the song was about?" I said. She pretended to think about it.

“Me? Maybe?" She said. Then she took a deep breath. “I'm going to regret it if I don't do this." Before I could ask what it was, she got on her tiptoes and kissed me. Then she got her drinks and disappeared into the crowd.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I went to the garden to look for Merida or Rose. I spotted Punzie and Hiccup, but they were giggling like 2-year-olds, so I didn't bug them. I ended up sitting on a bench by some fountain. I was just sitting there, when I heard voices behind me.

“Are you sure?" It was Hans.

“Of course! Do not doubt me!" A cold voice snarled.

“Y-Yes, my king." Hans said.

“The girl...Is she the right one?"

“Yes, she is."

A chill went down my spine. Somehow, I knew they were talking about Merida. Of course. I remembered when Merida fell off her broom, how Hans was too busy yelling at me to help her. He didn't seem to like her until now. But what is she right for? I strained to listen more.

“And, are you sure you about the boy?" The voice hissed.

Hans' voice turned angry.

“Of course! He is always upstaging me! Now, even Merida likes him!"

Now I was worried. Something was going to happen to me and Merida. I bade Rose good night (She was dancing with another guy anyway), and went to bed with my mind buzzing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 57.9K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
937K 21.5K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
1.1M 37.5K 63
π’π“π€π‘π†πˆπ‘π‹ ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...