Pterodactyl - Tsukishima Kei...

By ethereal-tsukki

š™ƒš™¤š™¬ š™™š™žš™™ š™®š™¤š™Ŗ š™©š™¬š™¤ š™—š™šš™˜š™¤š™¢š™š š™›š™§š™žš™šš™£š™™š™Ø? ...š˜¼š™œš™–š™žš™£š™Øš™© š™¢š™® š™¬š™žš™”š™”. ā•°ā”€ā”€ āž¤ Toma Mizuki (... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Welcome Back, Stupid
Chapter 2: Reunited Friends
Chapter 3: Future
Chapter 4: Letter
Chapter 5: Five Years
Chapter 6: Milk Drinks
Chapter 7: Thunderstorms
Chapter 8: The King
Chapter 9: Crush
Chapter 10: Seijoh
Chapter 11: Iceland
Chapter 12: Jealousy
Chapter 13: Pool Party
Chapter 14: Stay
Chapter 15: Favor
Chapter 16: A Chance
Chapter 17: School Festival
Chapter 18: Saturn
Chapter 19: Princess
Chapter 20: Good Luck Charm
Chapter 21: Possibilities
Chapter 22: Pretend
Chapter 23: Truth or Dare
Chapter 24: Faint Smile
Chapter 25: Too Bad
Chapter 26: Selfish
Chapter 27: Just Friends
Chapter 28: Imagine
Chapter 29: Questionably Wise Upperclassmen
Chapter 30: Light
Chapter 31: Cute
Chapter 32: Preliminaries
Chapter 33: Happy Birthday
Chapter 34: What If
Chapter 35: Fate
Chapter 36: Favorite Girl
Chapter 37: Uh Oh
Chapter 38: Doubt
Chapter 39: From the Beginning
Chapter 40: Home
Chapter 41: Surprise
Chapter 42: Another Reunion
Chapter 43: Mistletoe
Chapter 44: Bitter
Chapter 45: Promise
Chapter 46: Spring Interhigh
Chapter 47: Chaos
Chapter 48: To the Moon and Back
Chapter 49: Second-Years
Chapter 50: Desire
Chapter 51: Warmth
Chapter 52: Innocence
Chapter 53: Hope
Chapter 55: Us
Chapter 56: Hypothetical
Chapter 57: The One
Chapter 58: Forever
Chapter 59: Crossroads
Chapter 60: For Her
Chapter 61: One Last Time
Chapter 62: Changes
Chapter 63: Revelation
Chapter 64: A Million Miles Away
Chapter 65: Second Chance
Chapter 66: For Him
Chapter 67: Confession
Chapter 68: Call It Even
Chapter 69: Soulmates
Chapter 70: It's a Pterodactyl, Stupid
Epilogue

Chapter 54: Let Go

4.7K 181 35
By ethereal-tsukki

Chapter 54:

The Summer Interhigh tournament was intense and the results were unexpected. The Karasuno boys lost to Aoba Johsai in the final qualifiers, while the girls' team lost to Araigawa High. The girl that promised Mizuki that she would make her use her left hand when they were first-years defeated them at the final set, earning Mizuki's admiration and respect. Both teams only had one more tournament left of their high school volleyball career - the Spring Interhigh.

After the Summer Interhigh tournament, it was finally summer vacation. Mizuki told her father's old teammate, as well as Mateo, that she was planning on applying to the University of São Paulo. They were ecstatic, and once the university heard about her interest in their school, they wanted to fly her out for a week in order for her to tour the school. They wanted to recruit Mizuki for their volleyball team, especially once they watched her games online. Mizuki warned them that just because she was applying that it didn't mean she would attend their school. Nevertheless, the university urged her to visit anyway. They were going to be paying for her flight, as well as her boarding and lodging for a whole week.

"Are you going to miss me?" Mizuki teased playfully.

"Eh..." Kei shrugged as he smirked.

She pouted, causing him to laugh loudly. Currently, Kei and her family were at Tokyo International Airport, dropping her off for her week-long trip to Brazil. Although he wanted to go with her (he was willing to pay for his own flight, boarding, and lodging), he had to attend the training camp at Nekoma High in the next couple of days. Besides, he literally spent 150,000 yen on an engagement ring so it was safe to say that he was broke.

"Fine then, I guess I won't come back." Mizuki stated casually.

"I'm kidding," He chuckled, pulling her into an affectionate embrace, "I'll miss you a lot."

She gazed up and smiled at him, "I'll miss you too."

"Are you both serious?" Jun muttered irritatedly, "My sister will be gone for a week, Tsukishima-san."

"A week is too long!" Mizuki declared passionately.

"What your brother is trying to say is that he'll miss you too." Kei smiled slyly.

Jun blushed as he grimaced, "I will not!"

"Aw!" Mizuki hugged her brother tightly as he tried to escape her grasp.

"I'll be back before you know it." She smiled at Kei, who gazed at her fondly.

After half an hour, Mizuki kissed Kei goodbye right before she entered the terminal. Those who didn't have plane tickets were obviously not allowed in, and he could already feel himself missing her the second she was out of sight.

On the drive back to Miyagi, Kei sat in the front seat with Mizuki's mother as Jun napped behind them.

"So Tsukishima-kun..." She murmured, "You're okay with Mizuki attending the University of São Paulo?"

"Huh...?" Kei raised an eyebrow curiously, "I didn't know she was really considering going there..."

"Weren't you the one that urged for her to apply?" She asked slowly.

"Well, yeah but..." He answered faintly, "It was because I wanted her to believe in herself. I thought that if she applied to an overseas university and got accepted, it might help with her confidence..."

"But, you don't want her to go to Brazil for university?" Mizuki's mother inquired.

"I..." Kei trailed off as he stared out the car window.

He never considered the possibility that she might leave Japan again. When they were kids, it was out of her control, but now, it was up to Mizuki - it was her decision... Her choice. She could leave him, again.

"When Hisashi and I discussed moving to Brazil," She spoke gently, "I agreed because I loved him so much. I thought I could do it for him, because he was always there for me, so I wanted to be there for him."

"What happened?" Kei mumbled, avoiding her gaze.

"I liked Brazil but..." She sighed, "I was miserable... I missed my family, my friends, and my job... I missed Japan. I couldn't let him know that, because what kind of wife would I be if I told him I wanted to leave, take our kids back to Japan, and leave him alone in Brazil? It was selfish."

Kei listened intently to her words.

"He must've noticed how gloomy I'd become," She laughed softly, "He asked if I was happy and... I broke down in tears, in front of him. I told him how I felt, and he insisted that the kids and I go back to Japan. I tried to fight him on it because I wanted to be with him but... He loved me so much he was willing to let me go."

Kei nodded slowly, "I see..."

"Anyway, I didn't mean to bombard you with my life story..." She smiled warmly, "Mizuki hasn't even applied to the University of São Paulo yet... I want her to get in but..."

"I know she'll get in," Kei declared assuredly, "They'd be stupid not to accept her."

She smiled and chuckled warmly, "Thank you for always supporting her. I appreciate it."

After a few hours, they had arrived back at Miyagi. He thanked Mizuki's mother for the ride and said goodbye to Jun, who had just woken up. He entered his house to find Akiteru with an unexpected guest yelling at him.

"You told people we were dating?!" A voice boomed powerfully.

"Sorry! It's a long story!" Akiteru trembled in fear, "Let me explain!"

"Nii-san, I'm home..." Kei stated flatly as he walked inside the living room.

There, he found Tanaka Saeko holding a slipper, seemingly about to strike his brother, who was crouching behind a chair cowardly.

"Kei! Help!" Akiteru exclaimed, "Please!"

"Hello, Tanaka-san." Kei greeted his friend's older sister politely, "I'll be upstairs if you need me, nii-san."

"Oi! Don't leave!" Akiteru whimpered, "Kei!"

Kei jogged up the stairs and entered his room tiredly. He plopped down on his bed, face first, as he tried to silence the worrying thoughts out of his head. If Mizuki decided to attend the University of São Paulo, she would leave him behind. Would she even do that? He didn't want to be left behind, so maybe he should apply too? Then again, he wanted to stay in Japan, just like Mizuki's mother. Kei knew he would be miserable there, even if Mizuki was with him. He didn't want to resent her, but he didn't want to lose her either.

Kei didn't want to let her go.

He jolted up in surprise as he received a text from Yamaguchi.

Yamaguchi: Are you back yet?

Kei: Just got back. Why?

Yamaguchi: We're at school practicing. Come join us if you're not tired!

He sighed exasperatedly - normally, he would take a nap but maybe playing volleyball was what he needed to get his mind off of things. Kei texted him back instantly.

Kei: I'll be there in 15 minutes. Have to make sure Tanaka-san's sister doesn't murder my brother.

Yamaguchi: ... Huh?

~

After a long and exhausting flight, Mizuki finally arrived in Brazil. She was picked up by Mateo and his parents, and after a brief lunch break, they drove her to her hotel. They even helped her unpack. As Mateo's parents went to a grocery store to purchase her some snacks and water, Mateo stayed with her in the hotel.

"Isn't this exciting?" Mateo exclaimed elatedly.

"I guess..." Mizuki laughed warmly, "You know, just because I'm here for the University of São Paulo, it doesn't mean that I'm going to attend this school."

"I know, I know..." He crossed his arms, "It's just nice to see you again."

"It's good to see you too." She smiled heartily.

"So, how's Kei?" Mateo asked as he sat on the sofa.

"He's good," Mizuki responded tenderly, "Both our teams lost the Summer Interhigh tournament so that kind of sucked but... We still have one more tournament."

"That's too bad..." He sighed, "Although, if you had won the tournament, you wouldn't be here right now, with me, so I guess it's not too bad."

Mizuki rolled her eyes at his statement - she knew that he always had a little crush on her, especially when they were kids. Mateo followed her around everywhere, and although she didn't mind, she had to make sure that he wasn't expecting anything to happen between the two of them.

"Hey," Mizuki called out to him, "You know I'm with Kei and I love him, right?"

"Uh..." Mateo raised an eyebrow suspiciously, "Yeah..."

"Okay," She nodded, "Just making sure."

"Are you worried that I'll confess my undying love to you?" He teased playfully.

She scoffed as she unzipped her luggage to take out her clothes.

"Don't worry," Mateo laughed humorously, "You were my childhood crush but I'm over you. Besides, I like Kei! He's a great guy!"

"He is." Mizuki smiled.

As the days passed, Mizuki visited the University of São Paulo's campus. She got to know the various facilities as well as some of the professors, and even the Dean himself. She met the girl's volleyball team, who were above and beyond what she had expected. They were skilled, tenacious, and powerful, and it amazed her. After the team learned about her passion for volleyball, they invited her to play a game. Needless to say, they were impressed, and after the game, the girls invited her to have dinner with them. Mateo went also, to make sure that she was safe. Additionally, she met Mateo's high school friends, who were also planning on attending the University of São Paulo. She had a lot in common with them, and she found herself becoming friends with them too. They were generous, welcoming, and ridiculously fun to be around. Mizuki even went cliff-diving with them - something she thought she would never do. Although she would never admit it out loud, she missed Brazil.

She was in her hotel room with Mateo and their friends preparing for their day at the beach when suddenly, Kei called, wanting to video chat with her. She pressed answer on her laptop, and greeted her boyfriend.

"Hi baby!" She exclaimed cheerfully.

"Hi princess." Kei smiled softly.

"I'm sorry I didn't call last night," Mizuki murmured guiltily, "I was so exhausted and I fell asleep the second I got back to the hotel."

"It's alright..." He laughed reassuringly, "What are you up to?"

"Well... We were just-" She was interrupted by Mateo, who waved frantically at Kei.

"YO! KEI!" He boomed loudly, "Why aren't you here man?! We're having the best time!"

"Oh... Eiji..." Kei waved dully, "Hey..."

"Me, Mizuki and a few of my friends are headed to the beach! We're playing beach volleyball with a few people we met at a restaurant last night." Mateo explained thoroughly.

"Oh... I see..." He answered slowly.

"Get out!" Mizuki pushed Mateo away, "I'm trying to talk to my boyfriend!"

"Ouch!" Mateo rubbed his arm, "Alright! Alright!"

Finally, it was the two of them alone again.

"I miss you," Mizuki revealed affectionately, "How have you been?"

"I miss you too..." Kei murmured tenderly, "Things here are still the same. Hinata showed some of the first years how to receive properly and now they think he's some sort of genius. Imagine what happens when I tell them that their genius ace used to receive the ball with his face all the time."

Mizuki laughed heartily, "That seemed like eons ago. Hinata's changed a lot."

"Yeah... We all have." Kei cleared his throat.

"Is something wrong?" Mizuki asked worriedly.

"No..." He mumbled, "Sorry... I'm just rambling..."

"Are you sure? Baby..." She grimaced, noticing his bleak expression.

"Yeah... I just miss you." Kei smiled weakly.

"Okay..." Mizuki nodded fiercely, "I'm not going to the beach today. I'll stay with you."

"No... Don't stay just to video chat with me," He shook his head disapprovingly, "Go to the beach with Eiji and his friends."

"But... Kei..." She frowned, wanting to stay to comfort her boyfriend on whatever was bothering him.

"I'm serious, princess," He reassured, "Go... Have fun."

"YO! Mizuki! Our ride's here," Mateo exclaimed abruptly, "Are you coming?"

Mizuki didn't want to go if her boyfriend was upset.

"Go." Kei repeated sternly.

She bit her lip anxiously and said, "Fine... I'll call you right after I get back, okay?"

"Okay," He smiled softly, "I love you."

"I love you too." She declared passionately.

As soon as she ended the call with him, Mizuki followed Mateo and his friends. She wondered what was weighing on Kei's mind and if it was more than the fact that he missed her. She was returning to Japan in two days so they'd be reuniting soon. She missed him so much.

Meanwhile, back in Japan, Kei stared at his phone's lockscreen. It was a photo of Mizuki smiling as she posed with the toy stuffed alligator that he had won her a few months ago at the arcade. He felt so light and ridiculously happy whenever he looked at her.

Let her go.

Kei buried his face on his pillow, trying to silence the deafening thoughts of his head. He shut his eyes tightly, desperately wanting everything to stop, even for just a minute.

I don't want to let her go...

I love Mizuki...

I want to be with her forever...

Kei opened his eyes, overcome with the harsh reality of life. He may have to let her go one day, and if that day ever comes...

It would crush him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.6K 2.5K 63
Oikawa, Suga and Akaashi were figure skaters. They all needed that freedom and the feeling of the ice. The feeling was enough to overpower the rude a...
183K 5.2K 15
You move to Japan after living in the states as a child, leaving your childhood friends behind. You now go to Karasuno high but didn't expect to find...
440K 13.1K 62
Speaking to Kei Tsukishima started one of the most stressful years of your life, or the beginning of something new and fresh. Ever since you were a y...
247K 6.4K 17
You and Tsukki were childhood friends, but when you moved away in grade school everything changed. Now you're back, and you're both attending Karasun...