The Nerd and The Brat ✔️

Por a_cosmic_dust

His life was simple and plain until she turned it upside down by introducing him the world through a new lens... Más

Hello
1. First Day
2. The Malhotras
3. Friends
4. The Trio
New Cover
5. The Polar Opposite Families
6. Discussing Manik
7. Unedited
8. Bunking Classes
9. The Talk and the absence
10. The Baby Brother
11. The Race
12. The Dinner
13. Malhotra Brothers?
14. My brother's babysitter?
15. Girlfriends and Feelings
16. Abhimanyu and Love
17. A Mother's Love
18. A Special Friend
19. A Drunken Affair
20. Nandini's Day
21. Nandakishore?
22. The Queen
23. It Hurts When She is Sad
24. Harshad
Let's Talk
25. The Queen strikes back
26. Just Another Day
Please Read
27. Manik's Girlfriend
28. The Deal
29. The Head Boy
30. Nyonika Malhotra
31. The Lunch
32. Vacations
33. Vacations II
34. Tall, Dark and Muscles
35. The Head Student(s)
36. The Murthy Stress
37. Astronomical Night
38. I Trust You
40. Mukti
41. Head Boy at Work
42. The One and Only
43. Disney Princess
44. The Meeting
45. Harshad Factor
46. I Would Choose You
47. The Outing
48. Farewell
49. The Future
Epilogue
Sequel
Sequel Published

39. I'll Protect You

3.6K 496 125
Por a_cosmic_dust

Hello Fam :)

Happy Reading...

Unfortunately, Nandini wasn't as lucky as she thought herself to be. She was getting ready for her college when she heard her mother entering her room. They might have returned sometime after she went to sleep the previous day.

"Are you going to college, darling?", asked Mrs. Murthy.

"We both know how much of a darling I am to you", she muttered. "Come straight to the point."

Her mother glared at her. "I told your father, you don't deserve even the minimum amount of love."

"Wow!", exclaimed Nandini, "Didn't he already know that?"

"You are such a brat", she told, shaking her head in disappointment. "I don't know how Manik would handle you."

"It's more than a month now. Haven't you given up this utterly brilliant plan of yours?", she asked. "I am warning you, mother. Stop dragging Manik into your schemes. Hurt him or any of my friends, you wouldn't ever step around Murthy premises again." She grabbed her bag and stormed off for her college, dumping all her hope on Nyonika Malhotra.

XXX

After Cabir inquired about the secret conversation between Manik and Nandini, he was pleased to hear the trust their head girl had placed on his brother. Hence, as an appreciation for his brilliant brain, he had not only somehow convinced Manik that he was in love with Nandini but also to propose his feelings for the said head girl. On their way to college in the morning, he had bought the fresh red rose bouquet from a little girl and directed Manik to present it to Nandini along with the speech he forced his brother to learn the previous night.

"I still think it's a bad idea", muttered Manik.

They had just reached the parking lot of their college. "Baby, you are just panicking", assured Cabir. "Just hand it over to Nandini. It's simple. You remember your lines, right?" When his brother nodded, Cabir grinned at him. His brother was good at learning even if they were to propose the love of her life.

"I am going to the library first", told Manik and when Cabir forced him to meet Nandini, he shook his head. "I need to return my books. It's due. Also, it would calm me down." He gave a smile to Cabir before going towards the library.

Cabir pouted for a whole minute before rubbing his hands in excitement. Better set up the mood for his brother, he thought and went to find the head girl. He found her in the canteen. He realized they were either bunking the first class or their class got canceled. He pulled his chair in front of the head girl and waved to the other two. As soon as she saw him, Nandini covered her food. He stuck his tongue out but composed himself soon. He had a higher motive today and he needed to act mature.

"What do you think about love?", asked Cabir out of the blue.

"What?", questioned the head girl in reply.

Abhimanyu was doing some weird movements with his hands but Cabir ignored his sign language to talk to Nandini. "Nandini, what's your opinion on love?", he asked again.

Nandini raised an eyebrow. "Do you love someone?", she asked.

The girl wouldn't answer a single question directly. It's fine. Cabir was the mature guy for the day and he had all the patience in the world. "Dude, I have a girlfriend, remember?"

"Does your brain only go in one direction?", she countered. "I am asking about love, not your girlfriend."

"Aren't they one and the same thing?", he asked. This girl would end up consuming all his brain cells.

Nandini dumped her sandwiches on her plate to give her full attention to Cabir. "Dude, listen. Whatever you guys do, flirting with girls, making heart eyes at her, buying her gifts, etc, etc, they are for reaching the girl. Tell me one relationship that survived even when you stay apart?"

"I don't live with my girlfriend", he argued.

"Really? For how many years?"

Cabir didn't have an answer to that. It was not even a year since he got into a relationship with Navya yet and he hadn't stayed apart without meeting her.

"That's what I thought", said Nandini, interpreting Cabir's silence. "Whatever stupidity you term as love, stay away from each other for at least a year and then prove it to me that you truly love each other. I dare you. Show me one such relationship."

"But we love someone to live with them, don't we?", he asked.

Nandini rolled her eyes. "Yeah, live with them without touching each other. Can you do that? Love is just a side effect of hormonal imbalance. All you need is skin contact. There aren't many people left around who love because of love. It's all about getting your business done until your so-called love loses its flavor. Hell, people don't even wait for a few months before jumping into a new relationship after breaking up. Is that what you call love?", she ranted and banged her hand on the table to prove her point using her signature move before leaving storming off.

Cabir gaped at her retreating back. He noticed neither Abhimanyu nor Mukti defended him throughout her entire rant and turned his head to question them. "Is it only me or do you too agree that her speech contained all illogical and absurd points? Is she on drugs?"

Mukti sighed. "Cabir, I told you to stop with your planning. Listen, Nandini hates the idea of love. It's not very surprising if you have met her parents. She told, they returned from their vacation this morning. She might have met them which might be the reason behind her sore mood. Her parents try to get involved in her life, including her relationships. Half of the time she curses to be born as a Murthy. I would suggest you think before planning something. You might unknowingly hurt her more than she can handle."

Abhimanyu wrapped his hand around her. "Bro, she hardly accepted her relationship and we have been together for three years. Imagine, we have been best friends since we were in third class but yet she doesn't believe that we truly love each other. She knows I care for Mukti but she would have my head if I ever hurt her. That's the warning I got from Nandini when I got into a relationship with Mukti along with 99 other rules. She hasn't ever met someone who loved her wholeheartedly without any expectations except her grandparents. After them, she had completely lost the hope of love and thanks to her parents, even humanity. I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks we would leave her someday."

"Cabir, I understand why you are excited to set Nandini up with Manik but please take care of Manik. We don't want him to get hurt. Nandini is tough but Manik doesn't deserve it", told Mukti.

He nodded before realizing something. "Oh! Freak. Manik", he screamed. "He has a bunch of roses and a proposal speech ready. I need to save him." Cabir all but ran in search of Manik ignoring the shouts of Mukti and Abhimanyu.

XXX

Cabir must have been loaded with luck quota because he found Manik just before he could meet Nandini. He pulled his brother away from the angry head girl's line of sight and covered his mouth with his hand when Manik tried to protest until she left the place.

"What are you doing? Didn't you ask me to recite your speech to her?", asked Manik.

Cabir punched his arm. "That wasn't reciting. It's called confessing your love but we are postponing that plan for an unforeseeable future because if you are going ahead with this plan, I am damn sure she would punch you and cut me into pieces for giving you this idea."

"You are exaggerating. She is sweet", muttered Manik.

"That's what love is Manik. Your common sense stops working", told Cabir, grinning.

"What happened when you fell in love? You never had your common sense", stated Manik.

Cabir should always keep in mind why Manik is the best person when you want to argue with someone. He almost always had the right and logical points. "Do you want to attend the class or not?", he asked and took the roses from his hand. He felt bad for forcing it to Manik in the morning. The boy already has embarrassments in plenty on a day to day basis.

When Cabir told him a sorry, Manik flung his hand around Cabir's neck. "Don't worry about it, kid." And they were fine.

He promised himself not to force any relationship on his two oblivious idiots and let them realize themselves. Cabir still had a wide smile when he reached their classroom as Manik tried to uplift his mood. It has tampered slightly when he noticed the huge frown on Nandini's face. He followed her gaze and found the bouquet in his hand. Cabir smirked at Nandini.

"What are these for? Are you going to throw them on your imaginary girlfriend and she is going to catch it from her imaginary place", asked Nandini.

Cabir ignored the word imaginary and forwarded them to her. "No, these are for you", he told. They bought it for her. Maybe she could take them even if they have dropped their main plan.

"Unless you want me to dig your grave and put these on it", hissed Nandini.

Cabir pouted. "Can't I give you some flowers?", he asked. When Nandini continued to glare at him, Cabir shrugged. "It's okay. I will keep it with myself. I am rewarding these soft flowers for my flower-like soft personality."

"Go, dance, and die. I don't care", she told before going on ignoring him.

Cabir smirked and took a seat beside her. It was fun to rile someone up when they are angry and he felt he was an expert in handling angry tigresses after all the trips he took to the African forests.

XXX

Cabir met Manik again after the end of their college at the parking lot along with Abhimanyu and Mukti. Nandini was nowhere to be seen. "Bhai, shall we leave?", he asked after waving at the other two.

"Can we wait for Nandini, please?", asked Manik.

He nodded without a question as he started a very elaborate chat with an uninterested Mukti about his dream of visiting all the wildlife sanctuaries and natural habitats in the world. Meanwhile, he kept an eye on his brother. Of course, he promised he wouldn't force love on Manik but doesn't mean he can't keep tabs on his brother's feelings and facial expressions. It's called caring about him and not imposing.

Abhimanyu was ranting about some class lesson but Manik was too restless. Cabir doubted he was even listening to the Thakkar boy as his brother's gaze wandered to the entrance after every five minutes. Finally, the head girl made her way to them after fifteen minutes and a small smile appeared on Manik's face. It was almost instant as if it was supposed to be there, noticed Cabir. They all exchanged looks with each other as she got closer, looking at the huge frown on her face. Cabir raised an eyebrow at Abhimanyu, asking for the possible reason, who shrugged. Mukti had an identical frown on her face looking at her best friend.

Manik was the first one to snap out of the sour mood and smiled widely at Nandini. He pulled two Cadbury chocolates out of his pockets when she reached in front of them and handed it to her. It took her a minute to notice the chocolates in front of her eyes and when she opened her mouth to question, Manik beat her. "You were angrier than usual. It would produce happy hormones."

Nandini shook her head but there was a genuine smile on her face, the first one during the whole day, and Manik's face mirrored her expression.

"Even after seeing them like this, you say we are forcing them", muttered Cabir to Abhimanyu. "Look, they both even talk about hormones all the time." Beside him, Abhimanyu gave a dreamy look to the head couple but otherwise didn't argue.

Nandini left after that without another word but she did throw another smile in Manik's direction.

Inside the car, Manik was browsing through his mobile when Cabir peeked a glance at him.

"Bhai, are you trying to flirt with chocolates? Is it some new theory?", he asked carefully but without taking his eyes off the road.

Manik frowned at him. "Kid, not everything has to have a deeper twisted meaning and I give you chocolates all the time."

"I know", he told, "but your chocolates brightens her day. It always manages to get a genuine smile out of her."

The words brought a smile on Manik's face. "Isn't that something we should be thankful for? Baby, we couldn't tolerate her parents for a few hours, and yet she is dealing with them on an everyday basis. She was getting worked up even for the slightest of things today. Something might be bothering her."

"Her parents are in town, returned from their vacations early", informed Cabir.

Manik's frown deepened. "I thought I was unnecessarily blaming them when my guesses went in their direction."

Cabir snorted. "Bhai, your guesses are almost correct."

Manik didn't answer him and Cabir let him be. Ever since their lunch meeting, Manik was constantly worried about Nandini. He didn't know if it's good or bad but Cabir left it for the time to decide.

XXX

Nandini didn't go to her house. Instead, she was at the beach as she let her thoughts wander like the waves of the sea. Unlike them, her thoughts were all over the place. Even if she had warned her mother about staying away from her friends, she couldn't stop worrying about them because this time, her parents were planning for Manik to be their main pawn. She had a feeling she would be losing him soon. If it comes down to it, she would rather lose him in her life than letting her parents cause any harm to him, physically, emotionally, or psychologically.

May I interrupt your private time?

She was startled to find Manik but then shook her head with a smile. Of course, who else would be exchanging polite interactions on beaches? "What are you doing here?", she asked, patting the place beside him on the sand.

Taking the hint, Manik sat beside her and wrapped his hands loosely around his knees. "Mom is busy and Cabir went to meet some friends. I was alone and thought I could come for a long drive."

"You race?", asked Nandini. She didn't know he was of the racing type, what with him reminding people about speed limits and traffic rules and Manik proved her right by shaking his head.

"I love driving though", he told, "the breeze and the fresh air. You didn't go home."

Manik had a way of turning anyone's attention away from him subtly. It amused Nandini. "I didn't feel like", she told him but didn't explain further. The reason was enough for Manik as he didn't ask any questions. It was easy with him. He doesn't try to be overenthusiastic over her life. She knew he read a lot of books and he was bound to have a few questions of his own but Manik kept it to himself. It makes her feel free around him, like she doesn't have to watch her every word while talking to him.

Sure Abhimanyu and Mukti were her best friends but they knew too much about her life that they understood her even without her words. It sometimes makes it difficult to ignore her parents around them. Cabir tried to be normal but she caught the concerned gazes thrown at her directions once or twice. Whereas, Manik was her escape from reality. It's good he didn't have any idea about them and she intended to keep it that way.

"Is it really serious? Whatever is bothering you", interrupted Manik.

Nandini shrugged. "I guess. I hate humans. I am just done with them. They don't mind their own business. They don't care if they are hurting someone innocent by their acts until they are having fun. I wish I could leave this place and go far away from everyone." Nandini scrunched her brows listening to the words that escaped her mouth. Great way to keep Manik away from the hurt, she cursed herself. "Forget I said anything. I am just so tired", she added when Manik stayed silent. She turned her head towards him and saw a frown on his head.

"How can you leave everyone for a few?", he asked.

"Everyone will leave, Manik", she told, because they do. "When someone disappears, their closed ones will cry for a few days and then move on. That's how life is, right? People are too busy to notice the absence of one single person."

Manik was biting his lip, maybe, restraining himself from saying something. Nandini told him to ask anyway.

"What if you are someone's whole world? I will go crazy if something happens to Cabir. There are people who care about you too", he told.

"There are, of course. But people would move on, Manik. Forgetting is sometimes a blessing to mankind."

"Nandini, are you leaving us all?", he asked.

Nandini snapped her head at him. Was that fear in his eyes? "Do you care?", she teased just to let him know that she isn't but she wanted to know the answer too. Was she worth caring for by someone as precious as Manik? Was she worth it at all?

"I do", he answered quickly, and without any hesitation that it made Nandini smile. "Who would drag me to empty classrooms when I do something wrong?", he added a moment later.

She chuckled. "Growing by your popularity, there is a huge queue of girls willing to drag you to empty classrooms." His whole face flushed as he ducked his head down and just like that she realized something. She might not be worth caring by someone but Manik was worth it. She would stand up against her parents a hundred times if it meant it would protect Manik. He cared about her which was a bonus. Suddenly, she felt very light and all the worry about her parents harming Manik faded into thin air as she promised herself to protect him till her last breath. She mentally groaned at her dramatic thought. She must be really tired.

"Manik, would you promise me something?", she asked. If he confessed, he cared about her, he would listen to her.

"Anything", he told in a beat.

Nandini bit back her urge to scold him for trusting everyone easily but she could use the same trust in her favor. "Don't let anyone break your heart and don't get married to someone just because your mom chose her. If you think she is the one for you, even then think about a hundred times about why you should give her access to your life."

Manik blushed. "I am not getting married now."

"I know but remember this whenever it happens."

"Okay, but did you have your dinner?"

Nandini let his attempt to divert the topic go. At least he listened to her which was good enough for her. She looked at her mobile and found a call from Abhimanyu. It was already close to eight in the evening. Nandini didn't realize they were talking for so long. She called Abhimanyu, who informed her about Raman wanting to meet her. She informed the same to Manik as she stood up to leave.

"Is everything okay?", he asked.

Nandini nodded. "He sounded fine so maybe it's casual. I might be crashing at their place for the night."

"And eat something", he told.

She chuckled. "Of course, Manik."

When they reached the car, Manik gave her another bar of chocolate. Nandini rolled her eyes. "Are you sure you weren't following me and it's just a coincidence?", she teased.

Manik rubbed the back of his neck and Nandini was sure if there was proper light, she could see his face turning red. "I just hoped I could find you here. We did the last time."

She chuckled at his honesty and took it. "If you keep on giving me so many chocolates, I would put on some weight."

Manik shrugged. "A few extra pounds doesn't matter. You would still be you", he told her with a brilliant smile before taking a leave.

The boy would never stop leaving her speechless. She thought it wasn't a bad thing either. 

Nandini is so messed up right now. (Hint: Things are becoming somewhat serious.)

How cool is to have someone just sit beside you as a calming source and let you gather your chaotic thoughts without interrupting? ;)  

I might have cut short their dinner 'not-date' since the chapter was going too long. :P

Next chapter might be tomorrow morning. There is still a part left for writing. Sorry. :)

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

92.9K 2K 23
After another extermination... You decided to eat the rest of the dead demons on the ground like nothing had happened. Warning: (this story may have...
30K 3K 71
"I'm sorry, I can't marry with you, you gave me time, to say yes, & I said yes to you, that time I didn't know, I'll call off our marriage.." He take...
401K 12.5K 52
"Shut up or I'll do it for you." "It's my mouth so I can talk whenever I want. " Y/n pushes her husband and walked away. The boy then turned her a...
1.2K 71 10
short stories that may feel like a warm hug on a snowy evening •Individual chapters•