Tudor Rose

By brynnsreign

King Henry VIII is arguably one of the best known English monarchs, particularly for his six wives and the Re... More

PART ONE
i. invitations
ii. a game of cards
iii. the most happy
iv. the color of royalty
v. reunion
vi. sisters
vii. til death do us part
viii. a queen's purpose
ix. the girl in the dream
x. holidays and new beginnings
xi. poison
xii. a maid's silence
xiii. firstborn
xiv. a year and a half
xv. new arrivals
xvi. selfish, ignorant, rude
xviii. a baker without bread
xix. loss and love
xx. foreign beginnings
xxi. a facade of perfection
xxii. playing with fire
xxiii. crossing the line
xxiv. the undoing
xxv. gilded cage
xxvi. save the queen
xxvii. wishing wounds the heart
PART TWO
i. a prospering reign
ii. forsaken love
iii. heart of the lion's den
iv. regency
v. charity and pride
vi. scars and souvenirs
vii. wheel of misfortune
viii. camelot
ix. unchallenged, unchanged
x. hearts and minds
xi. from bad to worse
xii. expect the worst, hope for the best
xiii. secrets and freedom
xiv. apricity
xv. an honest mistake
xvi. calamity

xviii. prince of wales

4.4K 93 51
By brynnsreign

September 15, 1514

The days all started out in the same, boring way. I'd wake up early in the morning in discomfort, and because I couldn't fall back asleep, I'd reluctantly get out of bed. Since I'd been confined in my chambers until the baby was born and I'd recovered, there was not much to do. I usually read for some time, wrote letters to Elizabeth, who was now living happily with her husband a few miles away from the palace, and did other bland activities to keep myself busy. Every few hours, Henry would stop by to check on me and we'd play a game of chess or cards.

But today felt different. I woke up early and felt miserable and bored all day, but today still seemed different. Everything happened normally until about halfway through the day. I knew the feeling well- it was time for the baby to be born.

"Isabell, get the others! It's time!" I yelled, gritting my teeth.

I screamed for eleven hours, with no sign of the baby being born. The pain was unbearable and relentless. Poor Mary and Clara seemed horrified, and even the women who'd been there when Katherine was born seemed appalled by the severity of my pain.

The courtier who kept coming back occasionally to report back to the king became more worried with each visit. I couldn't begin to imagine how Henry was feeling because I was too focused on how I was feeling.

The day bled into the night, and there was still no baby. I felt myself being drained. My energy was depleted and I was seriously doubting myself.

__

September 16, 1514

The sun was just beginning to rise when my screaming stopped. The air was filled with screams of a baby, and the collective sighs and gasps of those who remained. The baby was rushed to the wet nurse, who looked like she was about to fall asleep.

"Is it a boy? A girl?" I asked Mary, tugging on her arm before she walked away.

The Boleyn girl turned to me, a whisper of a smile on her face. "A boy, Your Majesty."

I relaxed. The courtier who was told to report to the king left quickly, and a few people who weren't needed anymore followed. After the baby had been fed, he was given to me.

I could see both Henry and myself in him. His big brown eyes were warm like mine, but he had tufts of vibrant red hair that was identical to his kingly father. It was utterly Tudor — vibrant copper that would darken to brown-red locks with age. He was a small, delicate child who felt as light as a feather in my arms

Henry burst into the room happily and rushed to my side. Katherine, now just over two years old, raced over, too. She'd grown into a beautiful young girl, with dark brown curls and matching dark eyes. She was tall for her age, which was unsurprising considering Henry and I were both tall ourselves.

"Is it true? It's a boy?"

"Yes," I said, beaming with pride.

Henry gently took the baby from my arms, examining him. "He's adorable. Well done, Anna," he praised, "Now, what should we call him?"

"What about Edward? Or William?" I suggested, "Those are lovely names."

"I like Edward," Henry stated simply, "And I think it suits him."

"Edward it is, then," I announced. I turned to my daughter, who had climbed onto the bed and was ogling the sight of her newborn brother. "What do you think of him, Kate?" I asked her.

She thought for a moment. "He looks like an alien."

I laughed at her statement. "You looked like that when you were born," I told her.

She gaped at me, shocked. "No, I didn't!"

Henry handed the baby to me and turned to the nearest of my ladies, Mary. He evaluated her carefully, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Mary didn't seem to mind, though. Isabell's warning replayed in my mind, seeming to be very relevant now.

"Can you go to my sister Mary and tell her to arrange all necessary celebrations for the new Prince of Wales?" he requested.

Mary nodded, showing Henry more respect and compliance than she did with me. "Of course, Your Majesty."

She headed off to the door, glancing back once at Henry, who had quickly returned to my side. "Was that the Boleyn girl?" he asked.

"Yes, but she is not the most... useful of my ladies," I said.

Henry stared at the still door, ignoring my reply. He seemed like he was in a sort of daze. Quickly, he snapped out of it and redirected his attention to the baby.

"He has my eyes, doesn't he? How adorable."

__

September 22, 1514

I had never sat on my throne feeling so secure and proud. The celebrations were quick, and Mary Tudor did an excellent job planning them. Edward was christened only a few days after his birth, and an extravagant party followed a day later. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

Henry was concerned about me, though. The awful birth I'd gone through drained so much energy and life from me that I could hardly move. I knew I'd return to normal in a few weeks' time, but I still felt miserable. As I watched everyone dance and enjoy themselves, I couldn't help but feel jealous and miserable. 

 "Are you still feeling a bit unwell, Anna?" Henry asked, "I could ask the physician to reevaluate."

"I'm sure it's just exhaust. I'll be fine," I insisted, "Go dance. Have fun! England has an heir, so celebrate!"

"If you insist, my queen," Henry said, smiling and laughing.

I examined the crowds of people. Mary Boleyn presented herself to my husband, and they began dancing. It bothered me a little, but it was just dancing, and it seemed harmless. Sarah, Isabell, and Clara were all dancing with various lords and other noblemen, some I recognized and some I didn't.

My heart melted when I saw my little Kate dancing and playing with Lucy. It made Beatrice and I so happy that our little girls got along so well. Kate was growing into a lovely young girl, and she looked especially gorgeous that night. Lucy was also very pretty, but she didn't possess the same elegance that Kate had.

Charles Brandon, the king's closest friend, approached me. We'd only spoken a few brief times about relatively unimportant things. He always seemed suspicious of me, but I didn't know why.

"Your Majesty," he greeted, "You seem lonely. Would you like to talk?"

"I suppose some company wouldn't be so bad. I'm not feeling the best, so if we can stay here, that would be great."

Charles nodded. "How are you feeling?" he asked. I could tell he wasn't really interested in small talk.

"Charles, what are you really here to talk to me about?" I asked directly, "There's a reason you waited until Henry left to speak with me."'

He sighed. "You're very clever, Anna, but maybe not clever enough. There's rumors going around court, accusing you of adultery," he warned.

"With whom?" I asked.

"Mr. John Thornton, a family friend of yours," he said.

"Is Mr. Thornton here?" I asked, dismissing any signs of worry. Charles couldn't know that these rumors worried me. If I showed any signs of worry, it could be perceived as guilt, and that would be detrimental.

"Yes," Charles said, "Some say he started the rumors himself. Others say it was your vengeful and bitter father. Most people don't know how it started, but they've heard it."

"Well, this is an outlandish claim," I scoffed, avoiding eye contact with Charles.

His eyes lingered menacingly on mine. "I don't like or trust you, Anna," he stated simply.

"Then why haven't you informed my husband of these claims?" I prompted, "You two are very close, are you not?"

"We are," Charles confirmed, "But he loves you too much to take these accusations seriously without a plethora of proof, which I don't have."

"Ah, you seek to tear me down," I said, "But, as you said, the king loves me too much to give these accusations any thought, even coming from you. Now, why don't you go dance? Henry has been dancing with that Boleyn wench for quite some time. I think you two would get along very well. You could plan my demise together."

He stiffly bowed and then walked off, leaving me and my thoughts alone. The rumors weren't true, but if enough evidence was forged, I would be in a very difficult situation.

I sat back on my throne, adjusting the crown that was safely resting on my head. It fit so perfectly, and I was determined to keep it there

"Isabell," I called, "Come here for a moment."

She walked over, confused but obedient. Dressed in a gorgeous gown, I could hardly tell she used to be a maid. We were still weary of each other, but I preferred her to Mary, who was the only other free person of my ladies.

"What do you need?" she asked.

"There's a man here named John Thornton. Find him, and find out why he's here," I instructed.

"And what does he look like?"

"Dark hair, blue eyes, and about the same height as me. I have some... unfinished business I need to discuss with him."

Isabell nodded and then walked over, scouring the crowds of people for the one man I needed.

John Thornton and his rumors needed to go. 

____________

published august 21, 2020

a/n: i'm in the process of editing/revamping the book so there will be some minor changes. in the meantime, here's a new chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66 1 20
The War of the Roses has ended. After a thirty year power struggle, House Tudor reigns victorious, and Henry VII has crowned himself King of England...
240K 7.4K 29
Before Anne Boyeln, there was another. This is her story. Scarlett, an orphaned, seventeen-year-old girl grew up on England's monarchy, tending the...
18.9K 715 21
In a kingdom ruled by men, a young Spanish woman is handed over to England to be the Tudor's new toy, and eventually, the queen. This woman is Cather...
45.7K 1.2K 37
*Please note this story is now being rewritten and published on wattpad as The Pursuit of a King I encourage you to please go and read that one!* . ...