The Bright Side of Darkness

By KeiraKnox1

**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven (Part 1)
Seven (Part 2)
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine

Twenty-Nine

301 25 2
By KeiraKnox1

When I wake up, my back isn't as stiff as I had expected it to be. By the look of his sleeping position, Tay won't be so lucky. He could have easily moved out from under me and gone to his room to sleep, but he didn't. My head is still resting against his warm chest as he sleeps. I don't move for fear he will wake up. His face is so relaxed. He looks as if nothing has ever happened, and he doesn't have scars all over his body. There isn't a care in the world.

I brush my thumb over the scar above his top lip. It isn't as pink as it was a few weeks ago, but it still holds a rosy tint. It gives him a kind of rough look that is completely different from how he used to look.

He yawns, startling me as he opens his eyes. "Well, hello, there."

"Good morning," I mumble as my face turns red. He probably knows I was watching him sleep. His heartbeat thumps slowly in his chest, causing me to close my eyes to focus on the soothing sound.

"This is why I wanted to get the surgery," he whispers into my hair. "I can't wait until I can see your face again. Especially if I get to wake up like this."

I smile to myself and fiddle with my bracelet. But my thoughts get ahead of me. What if he doesn't like the new me when his sight has returned? He still remembers what I look like before, and it isn't hard to connect the two faces. But what if he preferred me when I was big? Maybe he has a thing for big girls and won't like me now.

Yeah, very unlikely, considering his past.

"Why did you like me before?" I look up at him and watch him frown in confusion. "I was fat, and people were always so rude to me. You always went after the skinny and popular girls."

"You weren't fat."

I scoff. "Oh, really?"

He sighs and rubs his forehead. "Em, you weren't fat. You had fat, but you weren't fat. You also have fingernails. You aren't fingernails, are you?"

I laugh. "I guess you're right."

Someone knocks on the door and unlocks it before either of us has time to process what is happening. I try to stand up but trip on the blanket and crash backward, trying my hardest to cover my chest.

"Hey, sleepy - Ahh!" Travis slaps his hand over his eyes and pushes Jackson back through the doorway. As I unsuccessfully scramble to find my shirt, Travis begins laughing and enters the house again.

"It's not funny!" I grab the blanket again and cover my chest. My shirt doesn't seem to be anywhere, and no way am I gonna stand here in just my bra.

"Here." Tay grabs his hoodie off the arm of the couch and hands it to me.

I try not to blush as I pull it on and glare at Travis. "You couldn't have waited for one of us to open the door?"

"My bad, my bad. I didn't know you two were, uh..." He tilts his head to the side.

"We weren't doing anything but sleeping." Tay huffs and stands up, stretching his back in the process. As he does so, I can't keep my eyes from wandering over his chest and abs. He must have somehow taken his shirt off to be more comfortable after I fell asleep. The difference between his normal skin and his muscles is faint, but still there. His sweatpants hang low on his hips, and an Adonis Belt disappears into the waistline. My face grows warm as I realize I've been staring a little too long.

"Uh-huh." Jackson pushes Travis out of the way. "Sorry to barge in, but we're already running late for our college visit. Coach canceled practice because too many people would be gone, so Travis and I can make it."

"Oh, shoot! I forgot about the visit!" I rummage around for my shirt again, groaning when I still don't find it. For some reason, I forgot to bring my dress with me, so I'd have to run over to my house to search for it, and then we'd be really late. "I don't have anything to wear."

"I found your shirt," Tay says, handing it to me.

What? How? He can't even see to look for it!

I snatch the shirt from him and hobble out of the room, dragging the blanket with me. I rush to the bathroom when I'm out of the boys' sight and splash some water on my face. I pull my shirt over my head and rush back downstairs, hair in my hands as I braid it.

Jackson gives me an impatient huff and ushers me out the door.

Memphis isn't too far from Norton Valley, but it's still a good half-hour drive and our appointment is at noon. It's already eleven-twenty.

"So, why are we doing this if we all have colleges planned?" I rest my head on Tay's shoulder, fiddling with the hem of my borrowed shirt. He insisted on sitting in the back with me, even though he's the second-tallest and needs more leg room. It's kind of sweet, really, even if he's forced to sit sideways.

"Backup plans." Jackson shrugs, keeping his eyes on the road. "If I can't get into Mississippi with Travis, Memphis is the second-best thing for me. It's where my dad played football until he hurt his shoulder."

I glance at Tay to see how football talk impacts him. Surprisingly, he seems at ease. Maybe he has finally come to terms with not being able to play football anymore. Or maybe he is trying to ignore the thought of football.

"Where are you wanting to go to college, Tay?" I lean my head up to look at him. I've always thought it would be kind of romantic to go to the same college as my boyfriend, but now that Tay isn't getting a football scholarship, he needs something a little more normal. My first choice, Vanderbilt University probably isn't the best option for him. Unless he's interested in one of the majors they offer.

He chews on his cheek in thought. "I'm thinking of becoming a math teacher if I don't get back to football in college. I'm good at math. Maybe I'll coach football on the side."

I stare at him for a moment. Maybe it's just the stereotype I've built up in my head, but education? Tay doesn't seem like the type to wanna teach. But, then again, he loves kids and he's in the top ten of our class, so it's not that far of a reach. And coaching. That's a big step for him to take considering how hard it is for him when he found out he can't play anymore.

"That's so cool! You'd be a great teacher." I smile up at him. Maybe we will get to go to college together. Memphis has a good education program, so if all goes well, maybe we can both apply there.

I pull the hair tie out of my hair and shake it out. Wearing it up feels uncomfortable. Like I'm missing something.

"I got the idea from Mr. Golde. He's an amazing teacher, and I wanna be a teacher like that. And since I most likely won't go pro, I could still do something good as a coach." The corner of his mouth twitches up as he starts re-braiding my hair. It feels nice when he does it. Last night, it helped calm my nerves when I was so close to him. "We almost there yet?"

Travis glances at us in the rear-view mirror. "Yeah. We're about five minutes out."

Through the windows, the campus is beautiful. It's a kaleidoscope of oranges, reds, and yellows as students travel between classes, oblivious to our car approaching the parking lot. It's significantly cooler today than it has been the past few days, and I'm thankful for that. Maybe we won't melt during the hour-long tour.

"This is Memphis?" I lean toward the door, waving at some students passing by.

"Yup." Jackson types something into his phone. "We're supposed to meet the guide outside the arts and sciences building. She had some business there beforehand."

After driving around for a few minutes, Jackson finally finds the arts and sciences building.

Right in front of it stands a short and plump woman in a pink dress. She waves as we park and skips up to the truck.

"Hello, everyone!" She smiles brightly. "Welcome to the University of Memphis. This here is our arts and sciences building, if you haven't already figured that out, and over here is..." I tune out her voice almost immediately as my attention is directed to the various buildings surrounding me.

She drones on throughout the whole tour, but my mind isn't focused enough to comprehend what she's saying. Does this woman know Tay can't see what she's pointing to? Probably not, but even if she does, that doesn't stop her from explaining the most intricate details of the campus.

Tay just follows us around, and eventually, I pull him to the side. I can't handle the tour guide's peppy voice any longer. She never stops talking long enough for anyone else to get a word in.

"What's up?" Tay stumbles a little as I pull him toward the corner of the quad.

I grab his collar and press my lips against his. He welcomes the kiss and meets my pace before pulling back with a chuckle. "As much as I enjoy this, can I at least know what it's about?"

"The tour guide is so annoying. And I can't handle any more walking around." I groan and plop down on one of the benches and drape my arm over my eyes.

Tay chuckles and drops into the seat beside me, pulling me to his chest. "It wasn't fun for me, here. Especially considering I can't see 'the founder's sparkling face as he stands watching over the students."

We both laugh and sit there for a bit, faces tilted up at the sky. Most students are already at their next class or their dorms, so we're the only people on the lawn. It's peaceful and makes it easier to relax.

"Hey, Emori?"

"Yeah?" I turn my head to look at him.

"I-I wanna say something, but I need you to promise you won't freak out."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 7.9K 105
Previously known as Knew It (A peaceful nightmare) Highest-ranking- #2 in teenfiction - #1 sadness Love is a game, wan...
56.7K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...
Luna By anya jayvyn

Teen Fiction

7.5M 328K 47
A bullied girl meets the popular new student. ***** "Still saying that you're perfectly okay?" Max whispers. I'm surprised to hear that his voice is...
790K 1K 4
Finding relationships is easy... Keeping them is the real game. That's what I'm learning in my first one. It's not easy. Our rival schools are an hou...