HELIOS

By socom622

Political upheaval and starvation force the U.E.A. to look to space for the survival of Earths' inhabitants... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapte 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68

Chapter 27

77 16 0
By socom622

The Marines have been down for four days getting to know the lay out of the Embassy. Now that they're more settled in, I call Lieutenant Monroe for a meeting. I get lieutenant Monroe up to speed on our current status here, and he is not thrilled. "Captain, I knew things were not good down here, but this is  devolving into a real situation." He lets out a breath. "We should contact the UEA about this and wait for instructions, Sir.

"Lieutenant," I begin. "We don't have the luxury to wait on committee approval for our actions out here. Therefore we must take initiative and steel ourselves for a potential attack." The Lieutenant looks down at my desk considering my argument. "Besides, we're practically across the galaxy. Our communications equipment wouldn't reach Earth in our life time."

"Sir," He looks at me earnestly. " we are low on resources. We don't have the man power, or sufficient weapons to fight off a concerted attack." He leans forward. "The Embassy would be overrun."

   "I understand your point, but we may have an ace in the hole still to play." He looks at me not sure what I'm talking about and that makes sense, since only Mandy and I would know. "In the hold of the Helios there is a crate that is our slim chance at repelling an attack, at least that's my hope."

"What's in the crate?" He asks curiosity written all over his face.

"It's a thirty millimeter canon." He seems genuinely surprised.

"That's right. It was brought aboard while the ship was still practically empty at Earth dock." I stand up walking to the window, which has a view of the ten meter high wall that protects us. Supposedly. "It's coming down today disassembled and it will be assembled and mounted on that tower turret."

He looks at me not sure of what to say then he stands up. "I'll get my Marines to help mount it Sir."

"Excelente Lieutenant." He looks at me waiting. "That is all. You may return to your duties." He salutes makes a sharp about face and walks out of my office here in the Embassy. He feels the same way I do around here; we're technologically outclassed. My hope is that since they've been fighting with such sophisticated weaponry, that something as low tech as that thirty mil will take them by surprise. Especially the depleted uranium armored piercing rounds.

I sit down at my desk opening the top drawer on my right. Pulling out a security lock box, entering the code, I open it. I sit there looking down at one of the things that was handed down from my grandfather to my father, and now to me. Picking it up, I hold and feel the weight of the Colt 1911 45 caliber pistol; I pull the slide back making sure it's empty. It's been a while since I use it.

The range is still not ready, and the ammo is not in large quantities. I put the pistol back in the box closing it; I wonder what my father would think of the situation his only son has gotten himself in. I put the box in the drawer thinking about the next move of our enemies, and how we might have to respond.

I rub my chin trying to find a way not to have to fight, but our enemies won't leave us any option. I think of the crew of the Helios and how they have followed me up to this point; so far there has been minimal loss of life. But now, we're headed to a real fight and not all the players have been discovered yet. My crew is yet to be blooded. How will they respond when they see their friends and ship mates die.

The power of youth is on their side, but the lack of experience may show itself in a critical moment. A knock on the door brings me back from my thoughts. "Come in." The door swings open and Mandy is standing there.

She looks at me and she seems better than she was four days ago. "Ant, do you have a minute?" she asks softly.

I study her for a second considering the her state of mind, but this is Mandy. "Sure come in." Mandy comes and takes one of the seats in front of my desk. "What can I do for you Mandy?"

She lets go of a shaky breath. "I want to apologize for what happened before... I-I wasn't myself." Her eyes begin to well up with tears. "I... just couldn't... watch you holding her... and I lashed out." Tears flow freely down her cheeks and my heart aches for her, and I do feel bad about how things worked out.

"It's alright, Mandy. This is water under the bridge, so don't worry about it." She wipes the tears from her face and I hand her my handkerchief, which she uses cleans herself up. She stands up walking around the table till she's standing in front of me; she gets on her knees. I grab her shoulders and I try to pick her, but she stops me looking right into my eyes. "Is there anything left for me in your heart, Ant?" She puts her hand on my chest.

I look at her with sadness. "Mandy..."

She puts her fingers on my mouth. "Don't... don't say anything right now." She puts her head on my lap crying quietly.

I let her stay like that for a moment and the urge to comfort her is strong, but I help her back on to her feet. "Mandy, why don't you go rest because I'm sure Doc would want you to do that." We walk to the door and I open it and a young Marine is there and I wave him over. "Get doc here please." He moves out fast while Mandy puts her head on my shoulder. A few minutes later the Marine and Doc show up. "Doc." He comes and helps me with Mandy taking her back to continue her rest since that break down. She looks back at me with sad eyes, but she goes with Doc Olsen.

I get back to my desk and lean on it feeling old suddenly. Another knock on the door and I take a deep breath letting it out slowly. "Come in." I turn around and Jahní is standing there. My spirits rise almost immediately, as she walks in and closes the door. Her face brightens up as we come together holding each other tightly; it's been four days since the last time we were able to meet, so I kiss her passionately. She pulls back a bit, smiling and giggling a little.

"Its only been a few days Antonio, but it feels like a year when we can't spend any time alone together." She says Putting both her hands on my face.

"Is everything alright?" I ask. I just want to know what she's done for the last four days.

She looks at me studying my face tracing the out lines with her finger. "Are you feeling alright?" She is so tuned into my psyche that I can't hide anything from her. In truth why should I hide anything. Taking her by the hand I lead her to the small sofa by the window, and we sit down. She cuddles close to me putting her head on my shoulder.

"Mandy came to see me today." I feel her ever so slightly tense up. "Hey, don't worry. She is not well and I had Doc take her back to continue to recover. She did apologize though."

Jahní sits up and looks at me with some slight tinge of jealously. "I don't want you to see her alone. Please don't do that." I smile at her and I can't believe she is feeling this. "The two of you have had a relationship that was loving at one point. She is still in love with you."

I glance away thinking about that statement; I'm not in love with Mandy, that is a fact. Though I can see her side of it. "Ok, I'll respect your wishes and I won't meet alone with her." I say. "She is still the mission commander and I'm the ships Captain and we have to work as a team."

"I know that you do, but I have a premonition that she will do something to try to divide us." She is very pensive and taking this very seriously. "I do not have the power of foresight, but I can feel emotions empathically, especially with those I'm close to or feel rivalry." I know she can do that with me, but she can with others she might have a problem with?

"Ok, I will not betray you, that I can say." She turns studying me and she reaches out softly touching my face. She put her head back on my shoulder and I relax. Leaning my head to hers and I feel my minds eye open up and I see a battle raging, on some far world a long time ago. I see Jahní of that time fighting, with great skill wielding a sword. I run... yes it's me, I know it is, and I stand by her back to back on a mound of corpses and it gets larger by the minute, as we slaughter those who come against us. It's clearer this vision; more than anything I've experienced seeing so far. A large shadowy figure of a man comes to us and sticks the standard of a flag in the ground.

"Vartous!" He shouts. He raises his sword to us in a sign of honor, victory and loyalty. The men also, those who were with us followed his example. Then he steps into view and his face is familiar I know him. I knew him then and I know him now, but it escapes me!

"Antonio!" I turn to look at Jahní, but her image is fading the whole vision is dimming. "Antonio!" My eyes open slowly and with great difficulty and Jahní is above holding me with concern on her face. "Oh thank the Creator that you woke up!"

"What was that?" I ask sitting up. "I saw another vision; it was on a world that was at war."

She shakes her head. "I do not know what you saw, but I felt the fear and anger that built up in your soul!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

0 0 8
Matt comes face to face with an alien space race feeding off of the memories of unsuspecting humans. His quest for survival takes an unexpected turn...
GAIA By ParisisL

Science Fiction

192 11 9
Humans fight the alien Draggone in an intergalactic war of survival and just keep on winning!
642 117 33
A girl from Mars. A boy from Earth. A man from Mars. A lady from Mars. What do you get when you put them all together? A battle to save Earth. A stor...
107K 4.1K 50
No less than two years after humanity's acceptance into the Galactic Assembly and participation in the Drev War, most aliens have still never seen a...