Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Arrivals
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Confusion
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
Doubts and Decisions
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Suspicion
Unleashed
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Narrow Misses
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Old Aquaintances And New

707 66 89
By Avid_Rdr

Jaci returned to the Claret after she and Sunny finished with lunch. Sunny had originally planned on having Jaci stay at the cabin with her and Taehyung, but after some more thinking, she feared Jaci would be in more danger there than back at the guest house.

Jaci wasn't afraid, per se, but she understood it was for the best. Plus, she wanted some privacy of her own to write about her discoveries, journal the events, and just relax. Not to mention, Taehyung and Sunny deserved their own privacy, and Jaci really didn't mind the trek up the mountain to visit with her new friends.

Snuggling down into her own bed, Jaci opened up her video chat app and dialed the Professor. It was mid-morning for him and perhaps he would be in his office wrapping up the end of the year.

"Miss Aigle! This is a pleasant surprise!"

"Hey, Professor!"

"How are things in Korea? It's night time there, right?"

"Yes, I'm just about to go to sleep. I just wanted to touch base."

"Glad you did. Hold on."

"That's for me? Okay, thank you," he said to someone off camera.

Jaci watched as the Professor was handed a black envelope. His expression fell just the slightest as he read the front.

"Bad news?"

"You could say that. It's nothing. Just a bill."

He laughed it off and looked back at the camera. "I need to go though. I have a summer class starting up soon and I need to get things prepared."

"A summer class? I didn't know!"

"It just never came up, I suppose."

"Alright. I'll message you later."

She ended the call and snuggled down into her blankets. She had a new day ahead of her tomorrow. Tomorrow she would get to talk to Taehyung more, and her head was going to be buzzing for a while with all the questions she wanted to ask.

On second thought, she might not be sleeping at all.

***

"I can tell you're unhappy."

"I'm not unhappy."

"Yes, you are. I've known you long enough to know when you're upset."

"You've only known me twenty years. Hardly long enough to be able to discern my deep and intricate mood patterns."

"Yes, I'm sure I have a long way to go in unraveling the psychological mystery that is Kim Taehyung, but right now, your back to me tells me that you're unhappy." Sunny scooted over in the bed, resting her chin on her husband's shoulder.

A moment of silence passed and Sunny was about to give up and roll back to her side of the bed.

"I'm jealous."

Sunny's ears perked up at the sound of her husband's low voice. "Jealous? Of what?"

"Not what. Who." Taehyung rolled onto his back and Sunny almost giggled at the cuteness of his pout.

"Jaci? Why, Tae?" Sunny moved herself on top of her husband and folded her arms across his chest, resting her chin on them.

Taehyung stared into her rich brown eyes. "Because. She's taking your attention away."

"Awww, babe! But my attention is completely yours right now." Sunny smiled, and though it wasn't meant to be seductive, Taehyung found himself smiling and reaching his arms up to encircle his wife.

"I like when your attention is all on me."

"I know you do," grinned Sunny, scooching forward a little and pressing a light kiss to Taehyung's lips.

"Mm, I need another one."

She did as she was asked.

"Hmm, I don't know if I'm convinced yet." Taehyung closed his eyes and kept his lips puckered.

Sunny couldn't resist him. He could be so cute and sweet, then turn right around and be a sultry, dominating force if he so chose. Reaching forward, she pressed a more tender kiss to his lips and kept them there, feeling his tight pucker relax and kiss her in return.

When he rolled them over so she was facing up to him, she raised her arms to wrap around his neck, pulling him closer for another kiss that warmed them both.

"I'm tired," he lied.

"No, I don't think you are," she taunted.

"How do you know?" The gleam of mischief in his eyes made Sunny squirm with anticipation.

"Oh, I have my ways," she said, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, let's put your knowledge to the test then, shall we?"

He laid gentle, yet firm kisses down her jawline to her neck, ending his descent at her collarbone, nibbling it gently.

"See? I knew you weren't tired," said Sunny, breathlessly.

Taehyung giggled against her skin and they forgot all about the outside world and their surprise guest for the rest of the night.

***

Professor Fenton sat at his desk, staring at the black envelope. It had been a long while since the last time he had seen one of those.

His name and address were written in scrolling gold calligraphy, making him frown even deeper. Of course they would know his address. He was a fool for thinking he could hide.

He leaned back in his chair, the aged leather creaking with his movements. His eyes fell on the plaques across from his office, visible through his door glass.

Professor Samuel North

Sunny Day

He groaned and squeezed his eyes shut. Why now, after twenty years?

He rose to his feet and walked over to shut the blinds on his door glass when a figure appeared on the other side of the door.

Clad in a fitted black suit, with hair coiffed to perfection, stood the last person that Dr. Derrick Fenton ever wanted to see again.

His hand gripped the door knob, but he knew he would not be able to keep his uninvited guest on the other side of the door for much longer.

"Open up, Hunter," said the man, staring down the Professor through the glass.

Derrick begrudgingly opened the door and stepped back to allow the man in.

The visitor cast a quick glance at the desk, then turned and immediately locked the office door and closed the blinds. "I see you received the summons."

"Oh, is that what it is? I haven't had the time to open it yet." Derrick walked casually back over to his desk and sat down.

"So, to what do I owe the great and unfortunate dishonor of this visit?"

The man merely raised an eyebrow, but never lost his cool smile and stony stare. "Cute. You know it is always an honor to be personally visited by the emissary of the Chairman."

"Emissary? Trying to be fancy now, Fixer?"

The man bristled a bit but reclaimed his neutral expression quickly. "I do not go by that title any longer."

"Newsflash, Fancy Pants, no one I've ever met in the Society calls you an emissary."

"Hunter Fenton, your presence is required at the Society at 8 a.m. sharp, day after next."

"Could have just said Sunday." Derrick rolled his eyes, leaning back to kick his feet up onto his desk.

"I was sent to personally make sure you received the summons. If you do not arrive as requested, I will be visiting you again to make sure you receive your punishment for disobeying an order from the Chairman."

"Fixer, don't you ever tire of being his lackey? His little lap dog sent to clean up all his messes? And they've been plenty." Derrick forced a breath out of his puffed cheeks.

"Sunday. Eight o'clock. This is your last warning."

"Yeah, I'll have to see about moving my weekend yoga class. Tell you what, I'll pencil you into my schedule."

Fixer's cold stare locked onto Derrick for just a moment before turning on his heel and leaving.

As the door clicked shut, Derrick dropped his head back and he groaned. His hands ran up and down his face as he pondered what he could do to get out of this summons.

As he sat back up, his eyes fell onto the black envelope. He ripped it open and yanked out the white card.

Hunter Fenton,

Your presence is hereby required at the upcoming meeting of the Hunter Society, this Sunday at 8 a.m.

Failure to present yourself will result in a swiftly applied penalty of death.

Sincerely,
Chairman Ellis

The card reeked of cold indifference. Derrick clenched his jaw and tossed the card into the trash bin, where it subsequently disintegrated into powder.

He jumped to his feet and grabbed his jacket. May as well head home and pack. The Society had left him alone for much longer than he thought they would, but he knew they would eventually decide to make him reckon with his past actions.

As he walked out of his office, his eyes fell onto the two plaques on the wall across from his door. With anger broiling in his heart, his heavy footsteps echoed through the empty hallway.

***

"Jungkook!

Jungkook stifled a groan as he heard Yun Hee come up behind him. "Good morning, Yun Hee."

"Wow, sound a little less disappointed next time."

Jungkook slowly drew in a breath and tried to remind himself that Yun Hee was young. Much younger than he was. She hadn't had all the decades of time to mature like he had. Obviously, as a daughter of an Alpha, she had probably been treated like a princess. More than likely she was used to having her own way, as displayed by her forward behavior the night of the dinner.

"The Luna told me last night about the river that's nearby and I was hoping you would show it to me. Maybe give me a little tour of my new home?"

"I guess I could."

"Really? That's great! Our last pack grounds were landlocked. I think living next to a river would be lovely."

Jungkook forced a smile and let Yun Hee set the pace for their walk. He would much rather have Sunny command him to stand on his head while peeling a banana with his feet, but that wasn't an option at the moment.

"I hope we can let the other night's mishap be left in the past. I do want to be your friend, Jungkook." Yun Hee spoke gently, seemingly sincere in her words.

Jungkook looked straight ahead, his hands shoved deep into his jean pockets. "I think trust is a good foundation to begin with in any friendship. Let's start there and see how it goes, okay?"

Yun Hee nodded. "I know we didn't start off on the right foot, but I hope over time you learn that I can be trusted."

The rest of the walk to the river was quiet, with Yun Hee only asking about certain pathways once or twice.

When they arrived at the river bank, it was flowing quite nicely. The sun was sparkling on the surface of the water, creating a beautiful shimmering picture.

"This is Blood River."

Yun Hee stepped out of her shoes and walked to the edge of the bank and sat down, dangling her toes in the brisk water.

"Blood River...seems like such an ominous name for something so beautiful."

Jungkook couldn't help but agree, but as the river had been named after the mountain, and well before he ever came into existence, he had no right to pick apart its name.

"Sit by me," said Yun Hee, patting the lush green grass.

Jungkook did, but left a good three feet between himself and Yun Hee.

She smiled but returned her eyes to the water. "What's on the other side of this river? I mean, besides that creepy forest and, is that snow I see?"

"It's not as creepy as it looks," muttered Jungkook, his thoughts drifting to his home away from home.

"It's awfully dark. Does anything live over there?"

"Don't be curious about that side of the mountain," said Jungkook firmly.

"Why not?"

"It's not some place you should go. Vampires live there and they are not fond of werewolves."

Yun Hee's expression became filled with fear and then it was replaced with blatant disgust. "Vampires... My father hated them. I've never met one, but they disgust me all the same. I mean, how debased must you be to suck the life out of a person?"

Jungkook turned a puzzled expression to her. "No more debased than a person who can shift into a wolf and take a life."

"Yes, but we don't live off the blood of others."

Jungkook didn't have the energy to argue with her. Instead, he stood to his feet and excused himself as politely as he could. "I just remembered that I have somewhere to be. Can you find your way back?"

"On my own? I don't know-"

"Just follow that path and if you think you're lost, use that sense of smell you're endowed with. I have to go."

He didn't give her a chance to reply before heading off at a fast trot in a direction that was sure to take him far away from her and her irritating prejudices.

***

After he was a safe distance away, Jungkook shifted and enjoyed a long stretch in the shade of a pine tree. But even a good stretch couldn't abate his ire.

The more he got to know Yun Hee, the more insufferable she became. He could make up a dozen excuses for her behavior, but when it came right down to it, she was just a spoiled brat who apparently couldn't think for herself.

His paws stepped into the cold water of Blood River and he crossed it at a narrow spot. When his paws sank into cold snow, he felt relief and relaxation wash over him. His mind calmed, and his senses heightened.

He could hear the muted scratching of squirrel nails on tree bark, the thumping of an irritated rabbit, and the overall quietness of snow-packed ground.

Pushing into the forest, he enjoyed a leisurely walk to his destination. He knew Taehyung and Sunny might be surprised to see him back so soon, but they were his last bastions of sanity right now.

He paused as his nose picked up a scent he didn't recognize at all. It wasn't an animal. It was a human.

He quietly made his way towards the scent, following it until he found himself in the shadows of the mighty pine trees staggered down the mountainside. With keen eyes, he watched a figure making its way up the mountain. It smelled like a female, healthy with no sign of drunkenness or sickness.

Jungkook remembered the last time someone like this had come up Blood Mountain, and now Sunny lived with his best friend.

But Jungkook firmly believed that lightning does not strike the same place twice and now that he had seen the intruder, it was his job to intercept her and steer her towards home, or a shallow grave if she so chose.

He crouched low and planned his attack.

As the woman got nearer, he ignored the smile on her face and instead focused on scaring the life out of her. He needed to see fear on that face and he needed to see it now.

With a strong leap, he launched himself at the woman, causing her to scream and fall back onto the ground. She was buried halfway with snow and Jungkook's heavy form was standing over her, his front paws pushed into the snow on either side of her head.

He put on his best menacing wolf snarl and leaned his muzzle, complete with teeth bared, down close to her face.

"Don't kill me, please don't kill me," she begged, staring up at Jungkook with fear-filled eyes.

Jungkook debated on whether he should speak or not. He settled on letting his eyes do the talking for him, and he narrowed them as he locked onto her gaze.

"I'm j-just visiting my f-friends. I d-didn't know they had a d-dog!"

Jungkook grew a bit more skeptical. She had friends on this mountain? Sunny and Taehyung had no friends outside of him, Jimin, and Hoseok. Their circle was intentionally small.

He growled.

She whimpered and tried to push her head back further into the snow. "Please, just l-let me go! Be a g-good d-doggy!"

Jungkook almost saw red at that point. He snarled and opened his snout to snap at her stupid comment when a voice stopped him.

"Jungkook? What are you doing to my friend?!" Sunny rushed over and pushed Jungkook away from the woman.

"Jungkook! This is my friend, Jaci. She is not an enemy."

Jungkook grumbled low in his chest. "I don't know her."

Jaci popped up out of the snow now that the giant wolf wasn't holding her down. "Wait a minute!" she sputtered.

"You talk?! You mean to tell me that you could have just asked me who I was?"

"Like you would believe a wolf could talk?" protested Jungkook. He backed up as Jaci frowned and marched towards him. Now that Sunny had vouched for her, he couldn't hurt the woman. He glanced at Sunny, whimpering for help.

But Sunny was not buying it. "Nope, you're on your own, big boy. From what I can tell, you started this."

Jaci angrily reached down and grabbed each side of Jungkook's furry face. "You could have just asked me who I was! I would have been flustered for a few seconds, sure, but I would have been fine. Instead, you lunged at me and knocked me down! You terrified me! And now I find out you're their friend?! You are so rude!"

Where had all of her fear gone?! Jungkook was so shocked, all he could do was sit on his haunches and take the verbal beating.

"You better mind your manners next time." Jaci glared straight into his golden eyes for a few seconds and then dropped her hands. She turned and stomped back over to Sunny, who was doing all she could not to laugh.

"For all I know, you could have been an intruder!" he belatedly bellowed after Jaci.

"Jungkook, it's okay. No one got hurt." Sunny tried to placate both of her friends, all while choking on her giggles.

"Yeah, well my pride sure did! She blatantly called me a doggy! A doggy, Sunny!" Jungkook's accusation ended in a whine and Sunny was now doubled over laughing.

"Oh, Jaci! You're lucky he didn't go for your throat after calling him that!"

Jaci was indignant. "Well, I didn't know who he was! I just knew I was being held down by a giant dog!"

"See?! She just did it again! I'll have you know, I find that term degrading and insulting!" shouted Jungkook, his tail and ears dropping in bewilderment.

"Well, I find unruly wolves to be just as bad," replied a Jaci over her shoulder.

"Oh my, Taehyung is going to love this!" Sunny continued laughing as she turned to walk back to the house, with one very insulted woman, and one petulant wolf in tow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335K 15.9K 107
Finding your mate is the most euphoric feeling known to Werewolves, one people spend their whole life waiting for. But what happens when the mate you...
149K 5.7K 40
taekook werewolf au book 2/2 ┊fetus writing┊ !¡ sequel to heaven's devil ¡! ↬ jungkook's memories are gone and his luna has to get him back ☕︎ ┊...
23.5K 1.2K 44
„Werewolves don't exist." „But what if I was one?" „Huh?" ࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏ Kim Taehyung and Jeon Jeongguk definitely aren't...