Senses

By brezinnia

[WATTYS 2016 PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD WINNER] Elle is the only living vampire left in the world. She has super s... More

Description
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
chapter 14
A/N: The Fanfiction Awards 2016
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 3

2K 153 124
By brezinnia

Unedited. Feel free to point out mistakes to me, thank you.

When I was drowning that's when I could finally breathe. -Taylor Swift, Clean

His screams ring in my ears but somehow I still don't fully acknowledge them, too entranced by the pleasurable sensation tingling across my skin and igniting my veins, driving my mind into a frenzy. My eyes burn desirably as I suck more and more of his delicious flesh. My fangs sink in even more and I bite even harder as my hands grip underneath his shoulder and the back of his neck, disappointed that the familiar scrumptious taste of blood no longer reaches my lips. I relish in the feeling of the blood sliding down my throat and slipping throughout my body, empowering my limbs.

I lick my lips clean and it's then that I notice the dead, literally dead silence that cloaks over me like a canopy.

His screams stopped minutes ago without me even noticing. I was too entranced by the divine tang the blood brought to my taste buds.

I let his limp body, which was drained of blood completely, slip through my fingers and succumb to the ground as I bite my lips. Shock overcomes me.

I haven't killed anyone in years. Not by draining their blood. I haven't taken pleasure into my playful murder days in so many years. I vowed to myself that I wouldn't kill any human ever again, even if they essentially are my ideal prey. I made sure to stop killing. I always watched myself, and taught myself to control it. To control my needs of draining their body of blood, and taking my emotions out on innocent humans, inflicting on them permanent pain. I didn't want to fall back into that pattern again.

I just killed someone.

The thought sinks in and processes quickly. I want to throw up. I want to cough out every ounce of his blood and revive his body. I want to be able to just heal him to life.

But I can't. He's already dead. His body is pale, limp, drained completely of blood, and ice cold. Lifeless.

My hand flutters up to cover my lips as I gasp in disbelief. Tears fall from my glossy eyes. The pleasant burn in my irises have completely diminished and are overtaken by continuous sizzling tears dripping down my cheeks, one after the other. My eyes begin to sear as blood shades over the blue orb, turning my eyes into a deathly shade of red.

I choke on the knot in my throat and blink away my searing irises, cooling them down to their different shades and specks of blue. I blink once more and compose myself. I lift the nameless man in my arm, speeding away and rushing past tall trees.

The wind whispered past me, speaking in swooshes and whooshes my name, blowing at my past as it spun in different directions.

I shake the guilty thoughts away, continuing to speed through the forest.

Am I really just going to bury his body in the middle of no where? Guilt eats at me when I think of how his family would feel, how any of his friends would feel, or to think that he's missing when in reality he's dead. And I killed him. I killed him, and not only have I ruined his chances at life, but I've broken the people's hearts that are close with him.

Where's the humanity I claim to possess?

But what else am I supposed to do with him? How would I dispose of his body? I look at the limp figure resting in my arms. His eyes are open wide and terror is painted over his lifeless expression.

I need to get away from him. The need to distance myself exceedingly overpowers the guilt. I can't look at him any longer. I don't want a lifeless body in my hands anymore. I just want to get away from him, and move on, like this didn't happen. Am I really just going to dispose of his body next to a random tree, against a branch where animals would feed off of him, just like I did barely just a few minutes ago? What am I supposed to to with him? I hold his body further away from me in distaste. I don't want him in my arms.

What the hell came over me?

I stopped aimlessly running to places unknown to me and I look ahead of me, thinking this is a good place to dispose of the man. This area is so secluded. The space is open to a meadow with endless trees circled around it. The moon is perfectly displayed in the sky above the vast blank space. I'm entranced by the clear, bright, night sky that I almost forget why I'm here until I snap out of the hypnosis and glance down at the lifeless man in my arms. I throw his body down and he lands with a light thud.

A selection of branches wave at me as the wind sweeps through once again. I rip a branch about the size of myself off the nearest tree I see. After adjusting my grip on the branch, I swipe it across the trunk of the tree as if it were a match, and a dazzling fire ignites on the branch.

Embers fall to the ground and some sparks nip at my skin. I feel a temporary burn for but a second before my skin heals.

I promise myself I will never allow for another lost life at my hands as I drop the branch on the body and watch the fire come to life as it burns the dead. Somehow through all the tears and repeating the promise I made to myself over and over again, I manage to put the fire out and scatter around the ashes.

I finish up quickly, wanting to leave as fast as possible and leave behind my guilty conscious.

I run away to a spontaneous hotel I came across a couple of days ago and decided to call home for the next however many days. I sped through the lobby at a humane pace, rushing to the grand elevator and returning to one of the fanciest suite at this hotel. I can smell the scent of nature on my skin and hair, even a human can catch on to the strong smell. Traces of dirt and soil left a trail on my immaculate skin. I strip down and throw my dress in a trash bag, pulling out the same dress from the closet. I push away the reasons of why I started getting two of the same clothing materials in the first place, and instead think about this dress that I plan on wearing again. I liked it a lot, and I do plan on returning to that club downtown.

Once I scrub myself down, dry off, and throw the dress on, I dry my hair and straighten it down to let it sleek down my arms and lay flat against my back. I suppose my face already looked sculpted enough to perfection without having to put makeup on to add to the vibrancy, so I dodge that and head out.

I return the polite smiles being sent my way as my heels clink against the ground. The stars in the sky were dazzling the world, using their shiny light as a guide for the humans. They gleamed down at me as I glared up at them.

I resent the stars.

I surpassed multiple different stores, boutiques, and restaurants until I was finally at the back entrance to the unnamed night club. My skin crawls and rolls over my bones when images of my teeth sunk into that mans neck and his wailing cries appear in my mind. I try my best to shake it off, and the second I open the door, the loud music, humans, and the smell of alcohol and body odor fog my mind and drape over the horrendous murder I committed not even an hour and a half ago.

I let a curtain cover over those thoughts and shield my mind away from the doomed darkness attempting to invade my head. I block away the possibility of allowing the guilt to consume me, and instead move on from the slip up.

The music blares through multiple speakers strategically set up within the ceilings and walls of this large room. The enticing beat brings a rumble of joy within me as I walk out of the shadows and lift my lips into an easy, practiced, and most definitely perfected smile.

I went to my same spot at the bar, and the bar tender that was talking to the now dead man earlier gave me a questioning look.

"Already done?" He inquires about his dead bar tending friend, thinking we had hooked up.

"Never happened," I truthfully confirm.

He gives me a questioning look yet again. "I saw you go outback, so did he."

"You only saw me go outback. He decided not to follow me and told you I wasn't worth it, and he went home instead." His eyes were hypnotized by my trance. I blinked and he reciprocated. The thought engraves itself in his mind and matches up with his other thoughts, making all of the thoughts agree with each other.

"Oh, that sucks for him." The bar tender winks to me. I roll my eyes and agree with him.

"I'll have another one please," a man sitting next to me says. Ice cubes clink against each other, clonking on the shiny glass. I don't bother to turn and look at him, not concerned about any one's drinks but mine.

"I'll have an array of shots. Strongest you have. Make it taste good and surprise me," I'm much more forward with the man. He jumps at my request obediently, preparing my order before the order for the man sitting next to me. I smirk.

My drinks are placed in front of me shortly. The bar tender then makes the man's drink impatiently and slides it messily across the counter. The liquid splashes against the edges, large droplets littering the counter and splattering against the man's hand. His hand flexes into a fist. I can practically feel his blood heating in my gut.

"Watch it." He warns the bar tender. I smile when I hear the grumble in his throat, the words threatening to be voiced, and the trembling fist tempting to hit. I laugh. I don't even need to see the man to entertain in his personality already.

"Sorry man," the bar tender grumbles.

I shake my shoulders as I laugh at the low growls of profanities in the man's throat. He must've had a pretty rough day. He's already finished his drink. I wonder just how many he'd had after I'd left.

I turn to look at him. My non existent heart soars in my chest, fluttering and pounding, threatening to beat out. The venom in my veins seers every inch of my skin, empowering my every thought, every emotion, every feeling possible. My skin sizzles and heats. These...feelings are so strong, burning itself deep into my skin, pulsing across the vibrant, dead cells, yet made them come to life, feeling more alive than I've ever felt since I was even a human. I felt a pull and a constraint, something conflicting within my heart that hurt but exhilarated me all at once.

He gasps suddenly, taking a deep, ragged breath, as if he were drowning under a body of water, yet breathing the freshest air at the same time, and says the simplest word with the most beautifully addictive sound I have ever heard.

"Hi."

--

Wow, I've missed writing this so much! I hope you are all enjoying this. I had fun writing this chapter, but I feel like it isn't good since I had to stop writing so much in between. I've had a really hectic and stressful month! But I've started a new semester of school, so hopefully once I'm steady and back on track, I'll update more often! :) thank you for reading! Lots of hints in this chapter. A LOT of them. Don't think certain sentences are irrelevant, because they may be the biggest clue to you. And this is dedicated to one of my close Internet friends, I love her so much. Love you guys, hope you enjoyed! Don't hesitate to comment, ask questions, vote, follow, or DM me for anything:) Oh, and sorry for the short length. Xo, Brenda

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 170 5
"Nothing makes you hurt like hurting who you love" Love shouldn't hurt, loving somebody with everything you have shouldn't make you feel like you're...
12.9K 344 12
I looked up at him, unsure of what just happened. I saw the blood glistening off of his gold H ring as he pushed my hair out of my face, scanning my...
680K 21.6K 31
[Highest ranking: #110 in Fanfiction] Humans know all about werewolves and vampires. Humans are considered the lowest species, the weakest. Some hu...
620 11 14
Before my mom died, the last words that came out of her mouth were, "Resist It" Zayn, a 18-year-old teen is still trying to decipher those two words...