The Strays โŽˆJohn B RoutledgeโŽˆ

By SiriusCatBennett

๐•†๐•ฆ๐•ฅ๐•–๐•ฃ ๐”น๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•œ๐•ค ๐”ธ๐•Œ What if John B's uncle didn't leave until late May? What if there was no treasure... More

The Strays
Epigraph
Aesthetics
Playlist
Tiny Cabin
Where We Belong
Pinky Promise
Dick
One Thing After Another
Vices
I Wish I Wish Upon a Star
The Wreck
Payback's a Bitch
The Stray
The Polo Pussies
Party Crashers
First Time for Everything
The Catalyst
The Five Stages of Grief
Summer's Over
Epilogue 1: A Series of Events
Epilogue 2: Winter Wonderland
The Pogue Handbook ๐Ÿ”…JJ Maybank๐Ÿ”…
Fun Facts
Alternative/New Aesthetics

Missed Opportunities

6K 67 232
By SiriusCatBennett

Chapter 3: Missed Opportunities

I made da gif :) 

~SiriusCatBennett

John B woke up to the familiar feeling of water droplets hitting his face. Luckily, it was a small leak, but it made the boy groan, reaching his hand up to wipe the liquid off. In doing so, he realized there was a pressure on his chest and glanced down.

There, CJ was resting peacefully, her features completely softened. John B could barely see her face, but she looked beautiful. Hair strung out around her, leg thrown over his thighs, arm wrapped around his waist, was one of his favorite moments. Even in her sleep, she never moved away from him and clung to him like a koala. Not to mention, he liked it when she slept soundly. There were too many nights he had to wake her from nightmares.

Pulled from his reverie by another droplet slapping him in the face, he groaned and moved too quickly to wipe it away. The movement caused CJ to stir and he felt a bit guilty for waking the girl.

"Mm, what time is it?" She questioned groggily, her head lifting for a split second to look around before it fell back to his chest. He smiled lovingly at the action and began stroking her arm softly.

"Dunno. Just woke up."

CJ hummed in acknowledgment, curling into him for a moment before sighing. Lifting herself up, Johnny's hand fell from her arm as she stretched out. The boy grabbed his phone to keep from staring at her.

"No service?"

"Shit, storm must've knocked out the towers." CJ mumbled, crawling over JB to get up. The first thing she did was try and flip the light switch. "Yep, no power either."

"What a surprise." CJ sent the boy an amused glare for his sarcasm before taking the few steps to the old dresser in the room. Pulling open the drawer the twins kept their clothes in, she pulled out new shorts and then jacked one of John B's button-ups. She made sure to grab a new swimsuit too as she'd been sweating all night in the one she was still wearing. "Can you go wake up JJ?"

"Yeah, I got it." Pushing his sweaty hair back, the boy bounced up from the bed and made his way through the crowded sitting room. JJ was still laying on the pull-out mattress, now face down. "Yo, JJ, you been outside?"

"I have polio, bro. I can't walk."

Shaking his head at his best friend's antics, John B ventured outside. From the porch, he could already see how bad it was out there. He thanked the heavens for CJ insisting they do storm prep or everything might be destroyed.

"Oh, man." He yawned, pushing through the patio door. One of the big trees in the yard was completely uprooted, luckily having fallen away from the house. "That's no good. That is not good."

"I don't know about that. It didn't hit anything. It'll make for good firewood." CJ, having changed rather quickly, appeared behind him, the door swinging shut behind her. The boy turned in time to see her shrug.

"Can't argue with that."

Taking a moment to appreciate her ensemble, John B had the vague thought that he would never get over her stealing his clothes. Or the fact that the blue bandana she'd stolen from him two years ago matched the bikini top she wore. As if she'd heard his thoughts, the girl raised her right wrist, using their favorite bandana to wipe the sweat from her brow.

After that, the two walked around, surveying the damage. Two random boats had somehow been washed ashore, coming close to the house. They both seemed old and abandoned and CJ wondered if they could get them up and running while John B messed with a branch thrown over one of them. There were other branches and leaves everywhere; one of them resting against a porch screen. They weren't sure if the tarp saved it or if the branch put another hole through it. Looking around, CJ could spot all the places and things that would've been utterly fucked if they hadn't moved everything. Luckily, the clucking of the chickens could be heard, ensuring they made it out okay. 

Walking around to the other side of the porch, CJ checked to make sure all the windows were intact and that the other patio doors hadn't been ripped off. Pleased that it made it through, the teenagers went to check the shed. Other than a few things that had blown under the tarps, either out or in, everything was fine. Although, the shack did look a bit more broken down than before. They might need to build new supports.

Rounding the building, John B went directly for the HMS Pogue. He gave a small 'oh, man' but other than a few branches, she looked fine.

"Agatha did some work, huh?" A voice appeared, the two turning to see JJ standing on the porch steps. The boy was shirtless, drinking a beer. CJ, realizing it was the last one left, flipped him off. He gladly returned the favor.

"Yeah, she did."

Focus returning to John B, CJ reached over to pull some branches out of the boat. Climbing up, she straddled the side to grab more, soon being joined by JB.

"Whatcha thinkin'?" JJ asked, abandoning the porch to walk over. He'd already downed his Pabst.

"I'm thinkin' that storm surge pushed all the crabs out on the marsh maze." John B responded, climbing into the boat to pull out foliage. "All those drum are gonna chase the crab."

"Oh, yeah. Get us some big fish." JJ nodded, rounding the HMS Pogue to help pull branches from the other side.

"I'll drink to that." CJ said happily before her smile dropped and she turned to her brother. "Of course, if someone hadn't drank the last of the beer."

"Oh, get your panties out of a twist. It was one beer. One. And you don't even like canned beer.

"No, I prefer bottled. I'm not some god damn savage that won't accept a fuckin' Coors 'cause it's in a can." She clarified, throwing a branch at JJ.

"Don't fuckin' throw shit."

"Make me, fuckface."

JJ took up the challenge immediately, going to hop into the boat. He was, however, stopped by John B who pushed him off the side. "Not in the boat."

"Come on, then. Get outa the boat, Indiana." He enticed, wringing his arms out at his sides before proceeding into a fighting stance, bouncing on his feet. "Let's tussle."

"Jesus Christ, you two, quit it. We've got better things to do today. I mean, think about it. It's God tellin' us to fish."

"Pussy."

"Bitch."

With those final words, CJ hopped out of the boat and ran over to pull the van over. She knew John B left a spare keyhidden inside just in case they needed a quick getaway. JJ moved branches out of her way, making sure none of the mini trees would fuck up the vehicle. Once she got the van over, the kids finished cleaning out the boat and attached the trailer to the hitch. It wasn't long before the boat was back in its proper place; the water.

After that, the three sped off to one of their usual places; Heyward's Seafood. They all figured Pope would be on clean up duty and it was the first stop before they rounded to Figure Eight to pick up Kie. On the way, they greeted a few people and commented on how much damage the hurricane did. There was trash everywhere and they made sure to drive around the docks carefully as the water was littered with objects.

Shaking her head at JJ's comment about Ms. Amy looking at him, CJ looked out for anything that could damage the boat.

"Kie is gonna have a coronary."

"Yeah, we're gonna be cleanin' this all summer."

"That is my nightmare." John B replied, pulling up to the Heywards' dock. "Well, look who we have here."

While JJ whooped, CJ laughed. Partially at just the rush of being with her boys, but mostly because of the sign that read 'bring it on Aggie you bitch.' The girl was absolutely certain Heyward had put it up. It was amazing it had stayed put.

"We have a safety meeting." John B continued, putting his hands over his mouth to make it sound like a radio. "Attendance mandatory."

"I can't. My pop's got me on lockdown."

"Come on, man." JJ prompted before putting his hand over his mouth, imitating static. "Your dad's a pussy. Over."

Slapping her brother, CJ had an amused look of bafflement on her face. "Oh, I heard that, you little bastard."

"We need your son." John B called over to the man holding a broom.

"Yeah, and island rules. Day after hurricane's a free day."

"Who the hell made that up?" Heyward questioned, knowing the Maybank boy was full of crap. He'd lived there all his life and there'd never been a rule like that.

"Uh..Pentagon, I think. We have security clearance."

"Yeah, I've got a card." CJ continued the charade, pretending to search her shorts and shirt pockets. Finding nothing, she shrugged. "Must've left it at home."

"Pentagon? Ya'll think I'm stupid?"

Pope talked over his father, already well on his way to dropping the hose in his hands. "I-I-I'll do it tomorrow. I promise. I'll do it tomorrow."

"You think- no, no. No. Hell. No. You doin' it right now."

"Get in the boat." John B whispered over, slowly moving passed the dock.

"Make a run for it, bro. Make a run for it."

As Pope started running forward, his father yelling at him, CJ shouted, "jump!" with a giggle. Pope did just that, jumping into the boat.

"Go, go, go." He stressed, Heyward in the background telling him to 'bring your ass back up here.' "I promise I'll do it tomorrow, dad. I promise."

JJ whooped, swinging a rope at the front of the boat while CJ threw her hands up in a cheer from the back.

"When you get back, you gonna clean shrimp. You gon' clean fish. You'll clean your dirty ass room! You'll clean your dirty ass body! And I don't like your friends!" Heyward yelled after his son, ignoring the 'love you, Pops' John B sent him. CJ was quick to shout over that they'd keep him safe before the four took off to grab the last member of their ragtag group.

It didn't take long to get there, the kids all lounging out on the boat. John B was still behind the wheel with JJ sitting sideways at the front of the boat. Pope was at the very front, feet dangling over the side. As they approached Kie's dock, the girl walking down it, CJ stood up and stepped over to John B.

"Oh, top o' the mornin' to ya." JJ called over, gaining a chuckle from his sister.

"Good morning, boys."

"Mornin', Keke." CJ responded, the boys' chorus of 'mornin'' sounding around her.

"Whatcha got?" Pope questioned, all inhabitants of the boat immediately noticing the red cooler in her hand. "You got some juice boxes?"

"You know, just some yogurts and carrot sticks."

"How about my kind of juice box?" JJ questioned, holding a hand out to help Kiara onto the boat.

"Yeah." She responded, tone soft and melodic. From her spot behind John B, CJ threw her head back, a cheer leaving her lips. The boy in question looked back at her fondly before turning his gaze to the open seas.

Making sure to hand out ice-cold beers to the twins before finding her favorite spot at the front of the boat, Kie tucked in. John B wasn't drinking yet since he was driving and Pope always preferred to be stopped as the alcohol sometimes made him motion sick.

"Salud." She said, clinking her glass with the boy's next to her. JJ responded with a 'skoal' before taking a much needed sip. Likewise, CJ called out a small 'proost' from where she now sat next to JB. 

As they sped away, Kie whooped and JJ raised his beer to salute the sea and sky. They all took another drink from their beers while Kie laid back in her tie-dye shirt and jean shorts. JJ let out a small shout while John B waved his arms like a bird. When he dropped them, he left one behind CJ on the back of the seat and she leaned against it with a grin.

At some point, Kie and JJ shed themselves of their shirts and Pope traded places with John B so the boy could grab a beer. JJ was once again trying to do his party trick and they all knew it would end in utter disaster.

"Bet you can't do this." He stated as the four toasted with their new beer bottles. "Tell the world."

"JJ, it never works."

Ignoring his laughing sister, the boy stepped up on the bow of the boat. "Lemme show you a party trick. Hey Pope, can you go a little faster, please?"

"Oh God, here we go. I'm movin'." CJ giggled watching John B move behind Pope. She stayed where she was, opposite of where Kie was still sitting. Pope tried to tell him that it doesn't work but the boy wasn't having it.

"We've tried this like 6,000 times!" The boy exclaimed but sped up regardless. Despite the many failures, all of them wanted to see it succeed.

Standing at the front, cooler sat behind him, JJ raised his beer. "I've got this. It's gonna work!"

Tipping the bottle back, some of it reached his mouth, but like usual the rest sprayed everyone else. Kie pulled back, complaining about it getting in her hair while CJ squealed at the cold liquid.

"Oh, my God." Pope stated while John B turned his head to the side. "Alright. Alright!"

"Alright, you're done."

"Alright, stop!"

In the next second, every teenager on that boat wished JJ had been sitting. Especially his sister. As the boat hit a sandbar, the motor screamed and everyone jolted forward. John B was harshly thrown across the entirety of the boat, almost hitting CJ's legs, while Pope came out lucky; his head hitting his own hand instead of the steering wheel. Kie was slammed into the front of the boat, shouting at Pope, while CJ was almost flung overboard; her back thrown back at an awful angle. JJ wasn't quite so lucky. 

"Holy shit. JJ!" CJ screamed roughly, flopping over to lay face down. The pain in her spine was something fierce and she knew if the crash had been any worse, it would have broken. Without thinking, she slid herself into the water, slowly paddling over to her brother. The twins let out matching groans as JJ appeared above the surface.

"You okay, JJ?" John B called, trying to right his vision. Being harshly chucked across the HMS Pogue wasn't exactly the highlight of his day.

"I think my heels touched the back of my head." 

As JJ made noises of pain, eyes sealed shut, his sister stayed next to him, making sure he stayed above water. Her own groans were heard, but the cool water was helping a bit with the pain.

"Kie, you okay?" Johnny asked painfully. "Where's CJ?" He asked, realizing she wasn't there when his head fell back and her legs were gone.

"I'm alright."

"She went after JJ."

"Pope, what did you do?" JJ questioned, starting to be able to move his body again. All his joints were stiff and his back ached.

"Sandbar." Pope responded gruffly. "The channel changed."

"No shit." The boy said sarcastically, turning to make sure his sister was okay. She was staring at him with pained, worried eyes. When he was able, the two swam carefully back to the boat.

"Ugh, this is probably gonna mess this whole place up." Groaning, John B pulled himself up onto the side while Kie popped her back. Both were looking into the water, making sure their best friends were alright.

"Hey, I saved the beer, though."

"Congrats, JJ." John B called over, CJ cracking a small smile. He was right, though. The ice chest hit the back of his heels before he was somersaulted into the sea, sliding back onto the floor. After that crash, they were all thankful for the alcohol. CJ just really wanted a joint.

"Guys need help back in?"

"Fuck, please." CJ answered Pope, knowing there was no way she could climb back on board herself. The boy helped them both up and John B immediately grabbed the soaked girl, pulling her into his arms. He helped her pull off the stolen shirt she wore, dropping it to the ground. "Shit, not again."

Pulling out her zippo, CJ tried to light it but failed. Huffing, she left it open and set it on the dashboard, hoping it would dry out the wick.

"Agatha you crazy, crazy bitch." JJ muttered, opening the small storage spot in the back. From there, he pulled out their bag of weed and Top papers. He threw it over to the only able, dry, and unoccupied person on board; Kie.

With Kie faithfully rolling two joints (they would need them,) JJ pulled two Pacifico's from the cooler. Opening them both, he handed one to his sister that was still tucked in John B's arms. She took it with a grateful look, clinking the glass together.

The Maybank boy walked back to the stern, falling onto the fold-out seat John B previously occupied with a sigh. His head hung back as he relaxed, willing the rest of the pain to leave his body as he took a drink of his beer. His sister was the same, except sat on the port side of the boat, head rested on John B's chest. She cocked her head from side to side, cracking it with a wince. JB held her while she tipped backward, popping her back. He helped her right herself when she got a bit stuck.

The five sat there, all in pain but all alive. Pope had returned to the driver's seat, lounging back much like JJ behind him. Kie had slid to the ground to keep away from the wind and finished her appointed job in no time. Standing, John B handed her a lighter and she handed CJ a joint. The two lit them and the bud was passed around.

After a good hit, or five, the teenagers started to really relax. The smoke filtered through their bodies, soothing all the aches and pains. Pope, the least injured and only non-smoker, drank his beer and let the alcohol warm his veins.

"You think the engine's okay?"

"The engine's fine." JJ answered his sister, blowing out a puff of smoke. "She's a beast. Ain't nobody gonna break her down."

"Just check it, JJ."

Rolling his eyes, he did as Kie said, turning back with a raised thumb and a joint in his mouth. The other four were visibly relieved, for many reasons. Ranging from their love of the boat to being stranded in the water, all were valid.

Eventually, the five were satiated and almost pain-free and decided to just go for a quick swim before continuing on to find a spot to fish. Not only would it help, but it would give the engine some proper rest. Beers in hand, they swam around, splashing each other and laughing. When John B finished the beer he had, CJ grabbed the last one, sharing it with him. She cursed at the sandbar, knowing that the beer the crash wasted now meant they were beerless during fishing. But whatever, it could be worse.

They stayed there for a while, just wading and sometimes racing. CJ did little front flips under the water and JJ dunked Kie. And then they left, going to fish without a care in the world, unaware that they'd been right above a boat wreck that could've changed their entire lives.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.3K 941 29
โ–Œ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› John B's Kook half-sister realizes that her lifelong best friend is everything she's ever wanted, and everything she can never have...
5.6K 98 16
โžช๐ ๐ข๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฐ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐จ ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ซ๐จ๐ฒ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐ซ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ฆ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ญ๐จ. ๐‰๐”๐‹๐ˆ๐€ ๐‘๐Ž๐”๐“๐‹๐„๐ƒ๐†๏ฟฝ...
127K 780 55
All about JJ Maybank! Genres: ๐Ÿ’” = heartbreak/sad ๐Ÿ’› = happy ๐Ÿ’™ = fluff ๐ŸคŽ = bittersweet ๐Ÿงก = angst โค๏ธโ€๐Ÿ”ฅ = angry JJ - jj maybank x reader ...
135K 3.1K 45
(S3) the one where john b's twin joins the treasure hunt and falls for her best friend - PART 2 OF THE BRIZO SERIES. THIS STORY CONTAINES MATURE & E...