White Hot Flames (ZukoxOC)

By generationriot

Rezalia's known Zuko since they were kids. She's been with him throughout his banishment and she'll continue... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51

7

1.3K 36 9
By generationriot

        It takes a while, a long while, but Zuko, Iroh, and Rezalia manage to retrieve the boat along with the help of crew and the guards. Their stuff dried out fairly quickly, with the help of firebending. Of course, while they were getting everything together Zuko and Rezalia threw some of Iroh's thing away and told him they were lost. Only the things he's had for years and not used the whole time.

Eventually, they were sailing again. And Rezalia was once again walking along the railing, much to the displeasure of Iroh and Zuko. When things got especially quiet, Rezalia would do an ariel just so that they would yell at her. At least it gave her something to do. Also, it was oddly amusing to watch Zuko's face gradually turn purple. Zuko would probably smack her with his telescope if she ever said that out loud, though.

Things were beginning to go quiet again after Rezalia's latest show of acrobatics when Iroh began to sniff the air. Nobody batted an eye, used to things like this by now. "There is a storm coming. A big one."

Zuko sighs and lowers his telescope. "You're out of your mind, Uncle. The weather's perfect. There is not a cloud in sight."

"The storm is approaching from the north. I suggest we alter our course and head southwest," Iroh continued, as if his nephew hadn't spoken at all.

"We know the Avatar is traveling northward, so we will do the same," Zuko replies, becoming irked.

"Prince Zuko, consider the safety of the crew," Iroh urges. Rezalia nods in agreement, though she wasn't sure that Zuko saw.

Based on his next exclamation, she ventures to say that he didn't. "The safety of the crew doesn't matter!" A few of the crewmembers overhear, including the Lieutenant. Zuko spots the Lieutenant and gets in his face. A habit he seemed to have. "Finding the Avatar is far more important than any individual's safety."

Zuko then storms off. Rezalia rolls her eyes and jumps off the railing to follow him. As she goes, she hears Iroh say; "He doesn't mean that, he's just all worked up."

Rezalia opens the door to find Zuko lying in bed, facing away from the door. "I did it again," Zuko says quietly. Rezalia steps into the room and shuts the door behind her.

"You did," she agrees, leaning against the door. Zuko lets out a groan of frustration and turns to lie on his back.

"What is wrong with me?! I'm trying so hard to do better but nothing's happening! I always go backwards!" Zuko shouts. "Why can I never do anything right?!"

Rezalia sits down on Zuko's bed next to him and pulls her legs up. "There's nothing wrong with you, Z. Getting better isn't a straight path. You'll go back and forth for a while, but you'll get there. I believe in you. The fact that you're even trying means the world to me. I'll be with you the whole time to keep you in check."

Zuko manages a small smile and reaches out to squeeze her knee. "Thank, Zali. I know I'm not the easiest to put up with."

"Bull, Z. You know I'd rather be here than anywhere else," Rezalia replies, patting his hand.

"That's cause we feed you for free."

"Yeah, well."

Rezalia and Zuko remain in his room for a while more, Zuko listening to Rezalia prattle on about how she wanted to somehow make her hair look like fire. Zuko agreed that it would be pretty cool and they went back to the deck. Once there, they're greeted with Iroh and four crew member, including the Lieutenant, watching a storm draw closer.

"Uh! Looks like your uncle was right about the storm after all," the Lieutenant says.

Iroh waves him off. "Lucky guess."

Zuko didn't seem to like the way the Lieutenant spoke to him as he once again got in his face. "Lieutenant, you'd better learn some respect, or I will teach it to you," Zuko hisses, poking the man's chest with two fingers. Rezalia could sort of understand where he was coming from but it still seemed like overkill to her.

The Lieutenant seemed done with trying to make peace and spoke, even as Iroh desperately signaled for him to stop. "What do you know about respect? The way you talk to everyone around here, from your hard working crew to your esteemed uncle shows you know nothing about respect. You don't care about anyone but yourself! Then again, what should I expect from a spoiled prince?"

Well now Rezalia was ready to throw down. Before Zuko can say anything, Rezalia steps forward. "Agni kai. Now."

Multiple people gasp. "B-but, miss," the Lieutenant stutters. "I insulted the prince, not you."

Rezalia raises an eyebrow and steps forward, causing the man to step back. She continues to advance while he retreats and is eventually stopped by the railing. "Yes, you did. And I was bothered by it and now I am the one challenging you. You can either refuse to fight like the coward that you are, or you can get your ass handed to you. Your choice."

The Lieutenant looked around wildly and upon seeing no way out of this, turned back to the teen. "Very well."

Rezalia instantly makes her way to the center of the deck. Zuko goes after her, forced to hog due to her murder walk. "Zali, what the fuck? You don't have to do this."

"I issued the challenge, Z. Besides he's pissing me off. I get why he has an issue, you're an ass sometimes, but he had no business taking it that far."

"You aren't dressed for this," Zuko protests, grasping at straws.

"And I'll still kick his ass."

"Zali, you don't have to fight for me!"

"No. Z, I don't. But I always have and I always will. I thought you knew that when I was six and I told your father no. Or when I got myself banished because I told your father to suck my dick. I will always fight for and with you. Whether the battle be verbal, physical, or mental doesn't matter to me. Now fuck off, I've got an agni kai to win."

Dazed, Zuko steps back to stand next to his uncle. Iroh pats him on the shoulder and calls out. "You all know the rules. I will act as the officiator. Begin."

The Lieutenant instantly fires multiple rounds at Rezalia, who drops low to the ground and sends a wave of her own flames at him. Almost the entire crew gasps at the sight of the white flames. The Lieutenant stumbles back with wide eyes. "The Devil of the Fire Nation," he breaths in fear. Rezalia grins mockingly and forms a concentrated fire ball in her hands, weaving it around her body before sending it flying. The Lieutenant dodges but seems to have lost the will to fight. "Please, have mercy. I had no idea......I'm sorry!"

Rezalia sighs and drops her hands, dispersing the fire gathered there. "It shouldn't matter who I am. You needlessly commented on someone's attitude, which they are already working on. The fact that you feel sorry once you are sure you face your defeat proves that you are a cocky, spineless coward. If it were up to me you'd be off this ship at the next port. Be glad it is not."

Rezalia walks away, content with what had taken place. Zuko chases after he once again. "You're the best. You know that right?" he murmurs. Rezalia giggles.

"Far from it, Z. You'd do the same for me," she replies. Zuko stops and grabs Rezalia's arm, forcing her to stop as well.

"I would," he agrees. "But I don't know if I would've stopped. You only fought him because you knew talking wouldn't do any good. I only respond with violence."

"That's not always a bad thing, Zuko. Sometimes it's the only way to get through to people." Rezalia gives the prince a small smile and continues walking. Zuko watches her go for a moment before returning to the deck. Rezalia makes her way to her room and slides to the floor, staring at her hands. It'd been so long since she'd used her flames in a proper fight. She could hardly remember. Her hands shook.

A knock on the door startles her out of her reverie. Quickly she stands and opens it. "Oh, hello, Teirson."

"Hi, m- uh Rezalia. I wanted to check on you after your fight," the young man says.

Rezalia smiles and pulls her hands behind her back. "I'm perfectly fine! He didn't land a hit!"

"Alright! Just wanted to make sure everything was okay. Um, I was actually wondering if-" Before Tierson can finish his sentence, the boat rocks violently and shouts are heard. The storm.

"Excuse me, but," Rezalia doesn't bother to finish her sentence before running off, her door slamming shut behind her. As she runs the combined forces of her momentum and the harsh rocking of the boat work together to slam Rezalia into as many walls as possible. She finally runs onto the deck, shoulders and back bruised to hell, and sees everyone struggling to keep their footing. Rezalia gestures for anyone who catches her eye to wrap themselves around the railing. They'd get wet, but they'd stay still.

"Where we hit?" Zuko shouts.

The Lieutenant answers as he stumbles around deck. "I don't know!"

Rezalia hooks her arm around some of the younger guards and pulls them over to the nearest ladder. "Stay here!" she shouts over the sounds of the storm. "Hold on tight!"

"Look!" Iroh shouts suddenly. Rezalia follows his finger to where he's pointing and sees the helmsman dangling. Rezalia gasps but before she could do anything, Zuko takes off. Ignoring the torrential downpour, he quickly climbs up the ladder. Distantly, Rezalia registers Iroh deflecting lightning that was to hit the ship. Rezalia lets out a shout as the helmsman slips off of the rail he was holding onto. Luckily, Zuko grabs him as he falls. Rezalia lets out a breath and quickly moves under the helmsman.

"I'll catch him!" she shouts up.

"Are you sure?!" Zuko asks, even as his grip starts to slip.

"YES!" Rezalia snaps, wondering why he was hesitating. Zuko looks down at the man and tells him what he was going to do before letting go. Rezalia adjusts her position and catches the man. Due to his weight, Rezalia's knees bend and she sets him on the ground a bit harsher than she would have liked. "Sorry."

"It's fine," the man says, voice little more than a whisper.

"Hold onto something," she instructs. Zuko climbs back down and makes his way to Rezalia. She grabs onto his arm as the boat rocks. Above, the pair spot the avatar's flying bison.

"The avatar!" Zuko exclaims.

The Lieutenant stumbles walks over to them. "What do you want to do, sir?"

Zuko pauses for a moment before shaking his head. "Let him go. We need to get this ship to safety."

Rezalia smiles and squeezes the prince's arm. Iroh smiles as well. "Then we must head directly into the eye of the storm."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 195 11
in which aang saves a little boy, meets his mom, and falls in love. set 10 years after ozai is defeated; aang is 23, reader is 21
5.7K 319 43
Elora found herself burdened by the weight of her destiny as the Avatar, a role thrust upon her at a tender age. The duties and responsibilities chip...
25K 591 27
She's a cold hearted fire nation nonbender on a search for the Avatar with her twin brother, Zuko, and uncle, Iroh. She was banished with Zuko to reg...
122K 2K 39
The war is finally over but Aang is heart broken after seeing Katara and Zuko together. To avoid the pain, he makes a decision.