Heaven On Fire

By caitygotwords

BOOK ONE OF THE "BROKEN" SERIES "He looked like Heaven. She felt like Fire." Blaise Nightshade. A small, feis... More

I N T R O D U C T I O N
C H A P T E R O N E
C H A P T E R T W O
C H A P T E R T H R E E
C H A P T E R F O U R
C H A P T E R F I V E
C H A P T E R S I X
C H A P T E R S E V E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T
C H A P T E R T E N
C H A P T E R E L E V E N
C H A P T E R T W E L V E
C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N
Not an update...
C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N
C H A P T E R F I F T E E N
C H A P T E R S I X T E E N
C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N
C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N
C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y
Thanks!
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - O N E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T W O
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T H R E E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F O U R
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F I V E
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - S I X
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - S E V E N
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - E I G H T
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - N I N E
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y
A U T H O R ' S N O T E
B O O K T W O

C H A P T E R N I N E

550 26 3
By caitygotwords

Too Sensitive~ Sean Kennedy

~D I C K H E A D  D O N O V A N~
"Read at 12:35 p.m"

BLAISE IS really tired once she enters PE. She has learned a new thing in Calculus today and she just doesn't want to do anything now. She was going to skip this period like she's skipped her others, but since she has PE with Saint, she decides that she won't and will actually come to class.

That doesn't mean she'll participate though.

When Saint sees his friend, he jumps up from stretching and runs over to her. Blaise glances up at him before nodding in greeting.

"Sup," she mutters, yawning afterwards.

Saint smirks at the sleepy look on her face. As much as Blaise tries to act cool, she still looks like a little kitten to him when she yawns.

"Hey. Why're you so sleepy?" He wonders.

Blaise leans into him, yawning again and wrapping her fingers around his shirt. She's so tired that she doesn't even notice the fact that everyone in the class in staring at the two acting all "lovey-dovey", especially Bellatrix.

"Calculus is a bitch," is all she says.

Saint laughs and wraps his arm around her shoulders. "Well you better wake up, because we're playing dodgeball today."

Blaise pouts and looks up at him. "But Coach. G doesn't like us playing dodgeball. He'd rather we run laps and shit."

Saint points to a cranky, middle-aged woman standing on the bleachers. "That's not Coach. G."

Blaise groans. "Isn't dodgeball banned or something? It's basically kids throwing things at each other for fun. That's, like, not allowed right?"

Saint shrugs. "I don't know how the American school system works. I can barely understand how to use your currency."

Blaise rolls her eyes and walks over to the substitute teacher. "Excuse me!" She yells to get the woman's attention.

She turns her scowling face to Blaise. "What?" She snaps harshly.

Blaise narrows her eyes. "My friend just told me that we're playing dodgeball today, is that correct?"

The woman just continues to glare at her.

"Sure, just don't answer me—"

"Is there a point as to why you came up here to talk to me?" The woman asks with a roll of her eyes.

Blaise glares at her. "Yes there is, actually. Coach G. doesn't allow us to play dodgeball, he says it's not safe an—"

"Coach G. isn't here, is he? I'm the teacher right now, meaning that you listen to me. Now go back to your little friend and leave me the Hell alone."

Blaise opens her mouth to snap at her, but decides against it. She doesn't have the energy to be a bitch, she's just too tired. So she sends the woman one last glare before stomping over to Saint. The substitute blows her whistle and tells the teens to go on opposite sides of the gym. She explains the rules of dodgeball in a monotone voice as she lines up balls in the middle. Once she's done explaining and ignores the raised hands, she walks back over to the bleachers and blows her whistle, signaling the start of the game.

Saint moves quickly and grabs a ball first, running back to his side and chucking a ball at a tall boy whose still trying to get a ball. Blaise doesn't move from her spot, her eyes barely staying open. Saint watches as the boy curses and walks over to the bleachers before he grabs another ball and throws it at a girl. When he gets her out, he looks over and sees that Blaise is sleeping while standing up. He chuckles to himself and catches a ball that was thrown at him, getting that person out.

Someone throws a ball in Blaise's direction, but Saint is quick and catches the ball as well and throwing it at the boy who threw it. Blaise doesn't even twitch in her sleep at all of the commotion going around the gym, too tired to care. Besides, Saint is blocking all of the balls for her. At some point, while Saint is too busy calling someone out for staying in even though he caught their ball, one of Bellatrix's friends throws a ball at Blaise. Right when Saint notices that the ball is hurling towards her face, he's too late.

A millisecond before the ball hits her face, Blaise catches it with one hand. Her eyes flutter open and she looks at the red ball in her hand. She looks up to see Bellatrix and her friends gaping at her. Blaise snarls and chucks the ball towards the group, but since she just woke up her accuracy is off and she hits a random student in the back.

"Who the fuck threw that ball at me while I was sleeping?!" Blaise yells. The look in her pale green eyes is downright murderous.

Oh crap. Saint thinks to himself, forgetting all about the cheating student he was just yelling at. Saint never understood why people called Blaise mean and scary, but looking at the glare on her face now, he gets it. Her doe-shaped eyes are hard and narrowed while her defined arms are flexing in anger. She looks like she could rip someone's head off right now.

The girl that threw the ball at Blaise runs over to the bleachers, seeing as she's out and scared out of her mind. Bellatrix steps forward confidently, even though she's shaking on the inside.

"That's just the game, Blaise. No need to have one of your famous tantrums," Bellatrix says snottily.

Blaise catches a ball that isn't even aimed at her and chucks it Bellatrix, catching the girl off guard. The ball hits her square in the face, causing her to fall back on her butt. Bellatrix cries out and holds onto her nose.

"You bitch! You just broke my nose!" Bellatrix screeches.

Blaise smirks. "That's just the game, Trixy. No need to have one of you famous tantrums." 

"Breaking my nose isn't in the rules, Blaise!" Bellatrix yells, tears pouring down her cheeks from the pain in her nose. "You're so mean!"

"But throwing a ball at my face while I was asleep was nice?" Blaise clicks her tongue. "That makes so much sense."

The substitute walks over to Bellatrix and helps her up. She tells her something, causing Bellatrix to nod and walk out of the gym with her friends scurrying behind her. The substitute turns to Blaise and glares at her.

"That was uncalled for, Ms—" she looks down at her attendance sheet. "Nightshade."

Blaise's glare hardens. "You're the dumbass who decided to let us play dodgeball. I told you that we shouldn't play it." She points where Bellatrix exited. "That bitch's broken nose is a prime example as to why Coach G. doesn't allow us to play dodgeball."

The teacher glares at her. "Watch your language, young lady."

Blaise holds up her middle finger in response. The substitute scowls and points to the exit.

"Go to the principal's office," she doesn't wait for Blaise to answer and turns to walk away.

Blaise is about to yell some type of obscenity, but then she gets an idea. A very bad idea. But that's her brand. She's the girl from the hood. The girl who lashes out because of her dead dad. The girl who smokes instead of studies and fights behind the school instead of focusing in class. She's a bad girl, with a bad attitude, a bad past, and she's about to do a bad thing.

Blaise walks over to a kid on her team, who isn't playing the game and instead standing in shock from what just occurred, snatches his ball and turns to where the substitute is reading the attendance sheet on the bleachers. She holds up her hand, focuses all of her energy into her arm, and chucks the ball right at the substitute's head. The impact of the ball to her skull causes the sub to stumble off of the bleachers and tumble onto the floor. The rest of the class gapes at what just happened, no one even bothering to help the teacher up. Blaise struts over to the teacher and squats down to look her in the eyes.

"Doesn't feel too good, does it?" She gives the teacher a fake pout before glaring at her with her cold eyes. "But don't blame me. This is the game that you chose." She gets up and struts our of the classroom, holding up her middle finger as she leaves.

Saint stares after the short girl and the only thing he can think is: That was pretty fucking hot.

~••~

THE NEXT morning, Saint wakes up with a lazy smile on his face. He'd just had the best dream in his life. After a few seconds, his cheeks start to warm and his bliss turns into embarrassment. He hops out of bed and runs into his bathroom to get ready for school. He decides to wear some light blue sweatpants with a matching light blue sweatshirt, some Timberlands, and a grey beanie. He then makes his bed, packs up his homework, and scurries downstairs to eat breakfast.

When he gets to school, he quickly walks past the cafeteria and decides to wait in the bathroom, the only place where a certain someone can't find him. As soon as the bell rings, he quickly makes his way over to English, hoping that no one will notice him in the halls.

"Saint!" MC greets him as soon as he enters the classroom. She pats the desk next to him, which has an unopened box of Pocky's on it.

Saint smiles to himself. She's too sweet. He thinks as he walks over to sit next to her. The rest of class is spent with the two munching on the Asian snack together; MC paying attention and Saint thinking about someone else. When English ends, Saint packs up as quickly as he can and stumbles out the door. MC frowns in confusion and chases after him.

"Saint!" MC calls after him, practically sprinting to catch up with the tall boy. "What's up with you today? You didn't write any of the notes down."

Saint looks around nervously before bending down slightly to talk to her. "I-I just have to get my n-next class, that's all," he stutters.

MC stares at him skeptically. Just as she's about to speak, the sound of Blaise's voice is heard from further down the hallway.

"Donovan!" She yells. "Where were you this morning?"

Saint glances over to Blaise before snapping his head down to the ground. "Sorry MC," he mumbles. "I'll talk to you later, okay?" With that, he runs to his next class.

Blaise pauses and stares after his retreating figure, tilting her head to the side in confusion. What was that about?

Throughout the day, Saint makes sure to avoid Blaise at all costs. Even in PE, when she waves at him as he enters, he keeps his head down and ignores her. Eventually, it's lunch time and MC, Will, Spencer, and Blaise are all sitting at their table, when Saint enters the lunchroom. Blaise goes to greet him, but he doesn't even look towards her and goes straight to Bellatrix's table.

"What the fuck?" Blaise growls out when she sees her caramel-skinned friend sitting with one of her least favorite people.

MC frowns at her friend's language, while Spencer looks over to see that Saint is really sitting with Bellatrix and Company.

He sucks in a breath. "Damn," he mumbles. "That's cold as fu—frick," he corrects himself when MC glares at him.

Will doesn't even glance over to Bellatrix's table. "Why is Saint sitting with Bellatrix?" She asks.

Spencer stares at her in awe. "How'd you know he was sitting there?"

Will shrugs and pops a cherry Laffy Taffy in her mouth.

Blaise pouts. She wants to be angry, but all she can feel is hurt at the sight of Bellatrix flirting with Saint. Sure, Blaise and him aren't dating or anything, but she thought that Saint was at least a little interested in her. Maybe he's not interested now that he knows her true colors? He has been ignoring her all day. In the hallways, during PE, even when she texted him. She opens her phone and goes into her messages, frowning at the sight before her.

blaise🔥🍑
hey, are you ok?

Read at 12:35 p.m.

She sighs and turns off her old iPhone SE and abruptly gets up from her seat. Her friends stare up at her in surprise as Blaise throws her food in the trash and runs out of the cafeteria. Without even thinking, her feet take her to the library. She makes a beeline for her favorite corner in the library, not even bothering to say hello to Mr. Higgins, and curls into a ball on a large beanbag.

Spencer scowls as he looks at the cafeteria entrance, where Blaise just stormed out. He can see that she isn't mad or angry, but upset. She looks like how she did whenever her old boyfriend ignored her. He hates seeing his best friend sad, it brings back memories of bruises, drugs, and cemetery visits. Spencer turns to look at Saint, who isn't even paying attention to Bellatrix and is instead pushing around his food.

I'm gonna kill that motherfucker. He thinks angrily.

Later today during last period, Saint is confused as to why Blaise isn't here. Sure he's ignoring her, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be in her presence. It's surprisingly comforting to him. He doesn't even pay attention to the lesson and barely notices when the bell rings. He trudges out of the room with his backpack hanging off one shoulder.

When he's barely two steps out of class, Saint feels someone grab onto his hood and drag him into a dark part of the hallway. Before he can say a word, his back is slammed against the wall. He groans and blink rapidly to clear his vision, the impact causing it to blur. When his vision clears, Saint's eyes widen comically.

"MC?" He exclaims.

She glares at him silently. She turns to the right and nods her head, giving Saint one last glare before walking off. Spencer comes out from a dark corner with his arms crossed and a menacing scowl on his face. Saint tilts his head to the side in confusion. What's going on here?

"You better have a good fucking reason as to why you're ignoring Blaise," he growls out.

Saint makes a face. "Huh?"

Something in Spencer seems to snap because he's in front of Saint in a flash, his hands wrapped around his collar so that he can bring the taller boy to eye-level. His dark blue eyes almost look black, a stark contrast to the fear-filled silver ones staring into them.

"Don't act all dumb with me, asshole. Blaise is the one with the soft spot for you, not me." He slams Saint's back into the wall again. "So tell me why you're ignoring her!" He yells.

Saint shakes his head. "Can't tell you," he mumbles. "It's too embarrassing."

Spencer narrows his eyes further. "So is walking into school with two black eyes and a broken arm." He yanks Saint down further, closer to his face. "Tell me."

Saint winces at the harsh movement. "I—"

"I swear to God, Saint, if you don't fucking tell me I will mess you the fuck up! Don't you realize what you've done to Blaise? The pain that you've caused her?" Spencer rants.

Saint frowns. "Pain?" He echoes.

"Yeah, dumbass. Pain. Blaise is a lot more fragile than you think. She's been through too much for a dickhead like you to come into her life and make her sad. She's got a big heart, alright? And if you break her heart," he angles his head upwards so that their noses are almost touching. "I'll break you."

Saint moves away quickly, not liking the scary look in Spencer's eyes. "Fine, I-I'll tell you why I've been avoiding her all day."

Spencer gives him an expectant look while Saint takes a deep breath. He quickly mutters something under his breath. Spencer furrows his eyebrows and leans in closer.

"What?" He says. "I didn't hear you."

"I had a dream about Blaise," Saint repeats, this time a bit louder.

Spencer gives him a look. "That's why you've been ignoring her? A fucking dream?"

Saint shakes his head. "You don't get it." He looks around to make sure no one is listening. No one is even in the school anymore, seeing as it's the end of the day. "It was a... wet dream," he whispers the last part.

Spencer stares at him blankly for a few moments before cracking up. Saint looks at him in confusion. "What's so funny?" He asks.

Spencer clutches his stomach and leans against the wall for support. After two minutes of his laughing fit, he finally calms down and wipes the tears from his eyes. "Y-you're too embarrassed to t-talk to her 'cause you had a wet dream?"

Saint pouts. "Well, yeah. Wouldn't you be?"

Spencer takes a deep breath before standing up straight. "Um, no. I've been having dreams about girls since the eighth grade, man. It's a normal thing."

Saint wrings his hands together. "Mine have never been... like that before."

Spencer gives him a look of suspicion. "What do you mean 'like that'?"

Saint's eyes widen. He shakes his head and hide his hands in his pockets. "Nothing," he mumbles.

Weirdo. Spencer thinks. He shrugs before turning serious again. "Look, man. Blaise doesn't know that you're just too shy to talk to her. She thinks that you hate her now."

"Hate? I could never hate her!"

Spencer points towards the library. "Then go and talk to her. Tell her why you've been avoiding her all day."

Saint scratches behind his head. "But then I'd have to tell her that I had a dream about her."

Spencer sighs and rubs his eyes. "Look, if it makes you feel any better, Blaise already knows about the dreams I've had about her, 'kay? She still talks to me, doesn't she?"

Saint nods with a pout. "Yeah."

"There you go. Now go and talk to her, man. She's in the library, I'm sure."

Saint nods his head and jogs off towards the library. With his long legs, he makes it there in record time. Once he gets the doors of the library, he takes a deep breath before slowly stepping inside. From what Saint can see, library is empty except for Mr. Higgins, who's reading a newspaper. Saint almost walks out but then he hears the sound of soft whimpers and sniffles. His heart breaks at the sound, knowing that it's his small friend crying somewhere.

"She's been like that since lunch," Mr. Higgins says. The sound of his deep, rumbling voice causes Saint to jump slightly in fear.

Saint plays with the straps of his backpack. "Do you know where she is?" He asks shyly.

Mr. Higgins glares at him. "I told you not to hurt her."

Saint gulps. "I'm here to apologize."

Mr. Higgins nudges his head towards the back of the library. "The little corner on the right, where the beanbag is."

Saint nods his head in thanks before walking over there. He takes in the fact that the books are all fantasy near this corner, something he'd never guess from Blaise's personality. When he gets there, he smiles slightly at the sight in front of him. There's a small little table with a white lamp and pink table cloth on it, there's a fluffy bubblegum pink rug on the ground, and fairy lights hanging between two different bookshelves.

What makes Saint frown, though, is the sight of Blaise curled up in a ball on a white bean bag. You would think that she is asleep if it weren't for the slight shake of her body as she cries quietly.

"H-hey, Blaise," he greets quietly.

Blaise's head snaps up at the sound of his Australian accent. Her dull green eyes are filled with tears and her cheeks are stained. Her pink lips are in a permanent pout with her bottom lip quivering. As much as Saint hates to admit it, she looks so damn cute.

She frowns. "Shouldn't you be hanging out with Bellatrix?"

Saint sighs. "Can I sit?" He asks, motioning towards the large amount of space left on the massive beanbag that she's sitting in.

Blaise looks at him for a moment before nodding. He places his backpack next to her bag and sits down next to her.

"You weren't in science today," he mumbles.

Blaise rolls her eyes. "I'm surprised you noticed."

Saint scratches his neck. "I'm sorry for not talking to you all day."

Blaise's face slowly morphs into a sad one. "You left me on read," she mutters.

Saint winces. "Yeah, I know. That was a dick move."

Blaise smirks at his use of the curse word. "Agreed." She fiddles with her fingers. "D-do you not want to be my friend anymore?"

Saint looks down to see her round eyes staring innocently up at him. She was far from innocent in my dream. At his naughty thought, Saint blushes.

"Of course I still want to be your friend. What would make you think otherwise?"

Blaise shrugs and looks down at her shoes. "I broke Bellatrix's nose and gave a teacher a concussion."

Saint smirks. "I'm surprised you're not suspended."

Blaise smiles lightly. "Mrs. Holland told the principal that the injuries were from the game and that it wasn't my fault."

The two sit in silence for a moment.

"Saint?"

"Yeah?"

"Why'd you ignore me all day?"

Saint sucks in a breath. He stares down at his shoes, which are much larger that Blaise's. "It's really embarrassing."

Blaise tilts her head to the side. "How?"

He sighs. "Promise you won't laugh?" Blaise nods vigorously. She wants to know now since Saint seems so serious about it. "I had a wetdreamaboutyou," he rushes out the last part.

Blaise pauses for a second, her brain trying to process what he's just said, before she giggles. Saint looks over to her and bites his bottom lip. The sound of Blaise's giggle is so cute to him. She sounds so happy and carefree. Her dull green eyes turn bright and her right eyebrow raises more than her left.

Adorable. He thinks fondly.

"Is that it?" She asks in between her giggles.

Saint blushes. "Y-yeah."

Blaise wipes a tear from her eye. "Saint, that's totally normal. It doesn't mean anything if you have a dream like that about me."

Maybe not to you, but it means a lot to me. Saint thinks to himself.

"Is that really all? You haven't been scared off by me?" Blaise wonders.

Saint shakes his head. "I actually thought that you looked pretty..." he clears his throat, "um, hot yesterday."

Blaise's eyes widen slightly as her cheeks warm. Her expression changes as quickly as it came and she smirks. "The shy ones always have the freakiest fantasies," she teases.

Saint covers his cheeks to stop the blushing. "You're making me sound like a pervert!" He whines.

Blaise laughs. "You're the one who had a dream about me."

He groans. "You're never gonna let me live that down, are you?"

Blaise pinches his cheek. "Not in a million years."

3936 words! (Not including the author's note, obvi.) That's the longest chapter yet!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 555 40
(Before You Leave #1) She was sent to boarding school over the smallest of mistakes... Okay, burning down your schools gym might have been a big one...
9.1K 368 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...
456K 13.2K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...
4.6K 297 31
"It is a curse, not a blessing" Raevan wasn't an average seventeen year old boy, He had abilities, abilities he couldn't control, abilities that des...