The Peace in the Storm

By Chi_Always

Amaka has just about had enough of sulking and putting herself in a funk, after two year she realises she nee... More

Quick Note.
Chapter One - The rain always stops.
Chapter two - There's enemies and there's rivals
Chapter four - Surprise or be surprised.
Chapter five - When the past touches the present.
Chapter six - A trip and then some.
Chapter Seven - A Revelation
Chapter Eight - An Euphoric Release
Chapter nine - When it hurt, it hurt to the core.
Chapter Ten - An Assignment with a Party on the Side

Chapter three - Spotlights.

11 2 0
By Chi_Always

Chapter three – Spotlights.

Being at university gave you freedom, there was literally no one to tell you what to do and that was the problem, no one could tell you what to do. All throughout primary school, secondary school and even sixth form you have to go to school everyday unless your sick, you couldn't have a day off because your parents wouldn't let you. It became the opposite when it came to university, I would attend at least three lectures a week, all the other days I simply could not be bothered and I ours don't have my parents around to tell me otherwise.

Which is my I laid comfortably in bed instead sitting in my lecture taking notes, it made me wonder how I ever got up in the morning before university. Today was also game day, so it only fair I relax as much as I could for the energy that will be used cheering our team and cussing out River and his idiotic squad if need be. I closed my eyes letting the soothing voice of Jhene Aiko take over and hopefully put me into a deep slumber. I jerked up to the movement of my door, and slowly grabbed my bat beside my bed, courtesy of Harry, for only Leila to reveal herself.

"Why?" I breathed and clutched my chest in an attempt to calm myself down.

"there's no point of going if you ain't." she answered with a shrug.

"I'm becoming a bad influence on you."

We ended up pigging out on our sofa and watched true crime thrillers until Leila feared she wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Leila put on a kids fantasy movie to lighten the mood but fell asleep halfway through and awoke to someone banging on our door. Turned out it was Harry who claimed to be knocking for hours, when asked why he was here and not preparing for the game tonight, he simply told us he hates training on game day.

"River told me he bumped into you?" Harry tilted his head to the side.

I threw my head back and let out a groan and reminisced to just the day before, I remembered him being so close that I smelt the mint and tobacco that was laced his breath. I remembered how he ran his hand through his hair ever so often and the smirk that played on his lips as he watched me. He had called me 'Makky' a nickname given to me by my siblings and a name I haven't heard in a long time. Hearing it for the first time in a very long time from his lips shocked me, it would slip from Harry's tongue here and there but it wasn't often enough for me to care. It had a certain twang when River called me 'Makky' due to his 'up north' dialect that made it more bearable to hear but I knew he was being spiteful as he said his aim was to get under my skin.

"More like let himself into my personal space." I scoffed. "Then had the cheek to call me Makky."

"It may have slipped." He admitted and threw his hands up.

"It doesn't matter he knows her name." Leila argued and disappeared back into her wardrobe.

Pointedly I looked at Harry and nodded, he sighed and shrugged in reply. It annoyed when we spoke of his friends like this because defending would not work against Leila and I and staying quiet would go against his morals of being a friend. It was times like this when I wished Harry and I attended the same university that way the fake that he tended to attract would have flew off him. However, that was just me being too overprotective, who am I to tell him who he can be friends with?

"Look him calling me Makky was just triggering, it's not like he knows anything, right?" Harry shook his head followed by a small smile.

Time passed and Harry left to get ready for the game instead of getting ready for the game soon after Harry left, I decided another quick nap would be nice and now everyone was impatiently waiting for me. Austin offered to drive us even though Leila and I could easily get there ourselves, but it did mean we don't have to pay for fuel so I wasn't complaining. I tended to underestimate how much time I needed to get ready when I thought I needed ten minutes turned out I needed thirty.

"Amaka, your butt better be ready to go in the next five minutes." Leila screamed.

"As you wish princess."

I was down in seven literally just as Leila was about to scream for me again, I hugged the two boys hello and we were off. The ride was surprisingly fun, belted out old bangers all the way there which released all awkwardness, Nile also confessed that he's not much of a sports person and this was his first game. This time around it was Albany's turn to host the game and the welcoming wasn't short of being loud, the Albany fanatics were already chanting, which took Nile back as he wasn't expecting it.

"This is our rivals?" Nile gaped.

"In the flesh," I nodded. "Just warning you it can get pretty brutal."

I could already spot Harry's brown locks and started route to him, the close footsteps behind told me the others were following behind. Of course, Harry wasn't alone, some of what I recognised as his teammates and his friends surrounded him, River stood next to him in the same football attire with his hands crossed, all of them laughing out loud.

"Ayo Harold." His turned abruptly and squinted as he tried to spot me, he shook his head as a smile replaced his scowl and ran towards me. It was a bad idea because his crew aimlessly followed behind him, I didn't realise how much influence Harry held and I was glad Leila, Austin and Nile followed behind me.

"I, came to wish me good luck?" Harry grinned.

"Just wanted to say break a leg, literally."

"Ah what, what did you call her?"

My head spun so fast to face the culprit whiplash stroked painfully, I held back my hiss and raised a daring eyebrow at the girl. I assumed she was Amber, Harry hardly mentioned her but he described her as the supermodel type, bone straight hair, entitled and glued to River, if I do say so myself, she fit the description perfectly. She gripped onto River tightly, probably afraid I would steal him from her, I mentally scoffed little does she know.

"He called me Amaka."

Taken aback her face contorted in disgust. "Willingly? What kind of name is that?"

I took a step back, tilting my head to the side with my eyebrows raised, I wasn't sure if I should class this as racism, she was Harry's friend and I wanted to give her the benefit of a doubt that she was just raised utterly clueless. I forgotten that Leila was beside me as she stepped out that she was ahead of me but not exactly blocking my view, it gave me the chance to be reminded of both Nile and Austin who was also witnessing this minor setback. I refused to look at Harry in case he tried to convince me otherwise for his sake but my mum always told me to not be scared to educate the ignorant.

"It origins from Nigeria, in Africa from the Igbo tribe," In attempt to hide my smirk I bit my lip. "But you wouldn't know because all you know about Africa is everything you stole and tried to claim as your own."

Mic dropped.

Jaws dropped.

Leila screamed.

Middle finger in the air at them, I turned on my heels and walked to the arena, I despite the urge to see all their faces not once did I turn back, call it a dramatic exit. I stopped just before the entrance of the arena and waited for the others to catch up, I knew from Leila's shocked squeal she would need a minute or two to recover. They caught up and I noticed Leila was wiping tears that fallen, she grabbed me and we squealed together, which earned us some questioning stares from passers-by.

"That was too fucking cool," Austin dabbed me. "I respect that heavy."

"Yo, their faces." Nile commented and laughed.

I shrugged sheepishly. "We have a game to watch."

It was all they could talk about until the game started, I think they were too stunned to talk about anything else. Even when our friend Jaylen got here Leila and Austin took it upon themselves to reanct the whole thing, so he would get somewhat of a real experience, their words not mine. I for one basking in the attention I received, most of me could not believe I smooth my comeback was but the smallest part me said I was that bitch. Jaylen pouted throughout their performance and claimed that he would have been here earlier if he wasn't throwing it back for his man.

"Who even were those people? Other than the fact they are Albany students."

It was just Nile and I, they called halftime and Austin offered to get everyone some food and drinks, Leila went along with him and I think Jaylen said something about needing the toilet. I got the feeling that Leila just wants me to have some alone time with Nile and told Jaylen to play along. The game so far went great everyone from what I can see is definitely in their school spirit and no fights has broken out but I may be speaking too soon, it is only halftime. The downside is that Northumbria is currently behind but a couple of points that I believe we can easily catch up on. Nile had been to himself up to this point, only speaking when spoken to and just about proving my theory of him being quiet, he was quite the introvert.

"Unfortunately, my cousin's friends."

"Which one was your cousin?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"That one chucking water over himself now." Amused I shook my head as we watch Harry not chuck water all over himself but some of his teammates.

"And before you ask, he's adopted."

He hummed, his brows raised and slowly nodded but kept the silence that once again crept between us. I was thankful that the silence between us wasn't awkward, they were the absolute worse, I figured that maybe he was shy and didn't know what to say. My eyes drifted to the field, a cheer battle was going on and of course Amber was the head cheerleader for their university, her persona screamed 'look at me and don't stop'. My eyes landed on Aaron James, the star player from our university, he was already looking and winked with broad smirk when he caught my eye. He has a bit of a crush on me and practically every girl in the university, he was what I called a lovable player, you couldn't hate the guy if you tried. He was just that sweet and got along with everyone, I've heard that some girls don't even mind being played by him.

"So how you enjoying your first game?" I turned away from Aaron puckering lips.

"I'm enjoying myself," He smiled. "I don't if it's because of the game or you."

Frozen, my heart stopped and my lips separated, the glisten of hope present in his eyes. It was hard to process because he spoke so smoothly that I was lucky to have caught the sudden flirt. I shift uncomfortably under his stare, I figured he was wondering how to take my reaction so I smiled. He read that well and I saw his tense shoulders relax in place.

"Me?"

A light smirk played on his lips as he nodded. "I would love for us to hangout sometime."

An eyebrow raised as a smile was placed on my lips, he was serious as he said this and all I wanted to do was laugh my arse off. Do not get me wrong Nile was very attractive with his strong fade, light eyes and the scar above his brow, I just didn't know how to process this. It's been a good while since I've dated and after that I've genuinely just enjoyed being single, expect from Aaron here and there I haven't been asked out so it felt brand new.

"That would be cool."

****
I feel this to be quite cringey but somewhat funny, forgive me😅
Till the next one
Vote comment and share
Chi.x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.7K 5.3K 15
Ray's world comes crashing down at the young age of 16. Her brother, her protector, gone. Shot and killed. Her mother, her bestfriend. Gone loosing h...
469 66 15
Amaya Sisay, a 24-year-old navigating the chaos of life from her Atlanta haven, juggles the ups and downs of work, failed relationships, and the neve...
5.9K 258 24
"𝘕𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘕𝘪𝘯𝘦, 𝘐 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨... ...𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘧...
336K 15.2K 26
"She was the healing to my bruises. And for that, Tamra Remway was my silver lining." Tamra never thought she'd become so involved into being Ben Sut...