Beastly Beauty ✓

By Hoseokiiss

[ JUNG HOSEOK ] Our bodies melded together, chests rising and falling in unity. His eyes poured into mine lon... More

Welcome, New & Old (Important Message)
BEASTLY BEAUTY
Dance Terminology
01. The Beast
02. The Ghost
03. The Hawk
04. The Suspects
05. The House
06. The Proposal
07. The Game
08. The Disappearance
09. The Lesson
10. The She
11. The Stalker
12. The Sketchbook
13. The Masked Dancer
14. The Confrontation
15. The Vision
16. The Leather that Binds
17. The Fire
19. The Smoke & Butterflies
20. The One to Trust
21. The Forgotten
22. The Spark
23. The Rainfall
24. The Kiss
25. The Dance that Ignites
26. The Silhouette
27. The Revelation
28. The Unveiling
29. The Legend
30. The Composers
31. The Secret that Stings
32. The Thief
33. The Fighting Flames
34. The Sip of Poison
35. The Ice
36. The Reunion
37. The Promise
38. The Recollection
39. The Hunters
40. The Winter Showcase
41. The Masquerade (I)
41. The Masquerade (II)
42. The Dancer

18. The Arsonist

9.4K 862 1.5K
By Hoseokiiss

"He's my brother."

Jungkook's words were spoken lightly as they passed his lips, but they grew heavier in the air and by the time they reached me, the weight of them was massive. My mouth parted while I stared at the black-haired male, trying to decipher his thoughts. What he said had to be a lie. There was no sense to it. But what purpose would he have in making it up?

The receptionist was oblivious to how shocking the revelation was. She nodded and thanked him, quickly writing on the form. As soon as she left, my eyes latched on to Jungkook's mischievous stare. He tilted his head and the corners of his lips lifted in faint amusement.

"Got anything to ask me, Red?"

I struggled to find my voice as I tore my gaze from him to his supposed brother. Hoseok's mask blocked me from gaining the insight I was searching for, but his eyes were storming with a quiet rage. He was too intent on glaring at Jungkook to even acknowledge me.

"Are you two really brothers?" I finally asked, noting how Hoseok shut his eyes at the question.

"Yes."

I looked back at Jungkook and he pulled his gaze from Hoseok to me. There was still a hint of playfulness whirling in his eyes, and it was clear that he enjoyed seeing me so flustered.

"But... how? Your last names are-"

"We aren't related by blood. My parents adopted Hoseok when he was little, so we grew up together as brothers."

"I chose to keep my last name." Hoseok's voice was low as he joined in.

My mind refused to so easily accept the new information. "How did I not know? Wouldn't the others have mentioned it?"

"The others don't know," Jungkook said, "And it needs to stay that way."

I frowned. "What? Why are you being so secretive about it?" What do they have to hide?

"Jangmi," Hoseok stepped closer and waited for me to look at him. His tone was careful yet held a certain authority behind it. "I know this might seem strange to you, but we need you to keep this to yourself. Jungkook was an idiot for saying it in front of you."

Jungkook scoffed and his playful demeanor switched off, replaced by a sharp bitterness. "At least I'm being honest with her."

The blatant double meaning in his tone was impossible to ignore. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Both of them went silent. I glanced between the two and shook my head in disbelief. I was tired of feeling so entirely lost, clueless of my surroundings. It was like treading water that only grew deeper and darker the longer I was in it, without any land in sight to rescue me.

I was fully prepared to leave the room again, not wanting to put up with their game of secrets. Hoseok was calling my name as I made it to the door, but what stopped me was the body that rammed into me.

"Ah, again?!"

Holding a hand to my sore forehead, I looked up to see a head of red hair, dark irises, and a pale hand holding his chin. Yoongi winced as he rubbed the area, staring down at me heatedly. "That skull is a hazard," he muttered under his breath as he brushed past me.

A pair of deep chuckles sounded just in front of me. Namjoon and Taehyung came up to the door, neither of them bothering to hide their amusement at what they'd just witnessed. Before either was able to speak, my attention went to the person who came up behind them. His sepia eyes hesitantly met mine and the moment they did, his brows knit together in concern.

"I'll be back," I said before walking past Taehyung and Namjoon. I looked away from Seokjin while passing him, knowing that he saw all the pain and uncertainty harbored within me. Never had I managed to veil my feelings from him in the past, and it seemed that still held true.

With the hope that none of them would come after me, my feet carried me down the hallway and back into the main lobby where a few people were waiting. Deciding that I needed to be away even from strangers, I exited through the automatic doors. A cool breeze instantly caressed my face as I walked outside, the gentle wind whispering to me that everything would be alright. It was soothing, the way my hair blew out of my face and my lungs could finally take in a full, clean breath. While it couldn't wash away everything - especially my worry for Jimin - it was enough to ground me.

I rested my back against the side of the building, just wishing for time to skip to when I could see my best friend. I'd once believed that Jin was the person who kept me afloat, but it was clear in hindsight that it had always been Jimin. In the midst of all that water, he was the motivation that kept my aching muscles working; I might've drowned if not for him.

With my head tilted back, I let my eyes drift closed. After a few minutes went by, I heard the doors open and footsteps slowly approach. When they stopped in front of me, I peeked and found Hoseok standing there with his hands in his pockets.

He glanced over me carefully to determine what state I was in, then he wordlessly moved to my side and joined me in resting on the wall. His decision to say nothing and just stand beside me provided more comfort than anything else would've. Somehow he knew that in that moment, it was the best thing he could do for me.

I wanted to be upset at him. I was upset at him for keeping multiple secrets, but buried within me was the belief that he wished to tell me as much as I wished to know. As I turned my head to face him and he did the same, we both fell entranced in the hushed seconds that ticked along. The wind glided by, carrying a fews strands of his hair and draping them over his yellowish eyes.

Wildly foolish was what came to mind as soon as I caught my fingers longing to brush the strands away. Absurd was the label I gave to the slow-growing burn that only seemed to light deep in my chest when certain moments passed between us, when time stilled and I felt like I saw beyond all the barriers he worked so hard to build around him. In those rare flashes of vulnerability, the last thing I could see him being was something dark or twisted.

In that instant, I came to realize that the battle I continued to wage against myself was futile. I was destined to lose from the start. Every strike my mind made against my heart did nothing to sway it from its path. It was possible to temporarily stall it from moving forward, but it would only be a waste of time in the end.

The mound of unknowns was the sole thing that made me want to stall. If that would just clear away, I wouldn't stop myself from handing my trust over to him.

I opened my mouth to speak, never wavering from his gaze. "Hoseok..."

If you want him to be open with you, show him that you are willing to do the same.

"I'm scared. I've been so afraid lately, and it makes it hard for me to trust anyone. But for some reason, I want to trust you," I said quietly. "It doesn't make sense to me, but I do. Whatever Jungkook was talking about... I hope you can find it in yourself to tell me what you're hiding. I'll be waiting until you do."

It felt strange and exciting to talk without reservation to him. I could see in his face that he felt it too - another crack in the wall that separated us. His brows were drawn together like he was stunned by my words.

"You keep making this harder," he whispered.

Beyond the surface of his eyes, dipping past the honey highlights and into the richer caramel, I thought I saw regret. That shadowed emotion sent my heart plummeting. Something much greater than I'd thought was chaining him down, preventing him from letting me in.

"I want to tell you," he continued, turning his entire body to face me. I followed his movements, straightening up and facing him fully, too. "There's just so much you don't know, Jangmi. So much you don't understand."

"So help me understand," I said as I felt my chest ache. Clenching my jaw at the tears that built up yet again, I let out a despairing sigh, "Please."

Hoseok's next action was shocking enough for my breath to hitch and my vision to clear; he lifted his covered hands and placed them on either side of my head, carefully smoothing them over my hair. He looked at me with an intensity that sent warmth from the contact of our eyes, down my spine, through to my fingertips and my toes.

"I will when I'm able to."

It was all so unlike him - but then again, I had no true idea of who he was despite the strange sense that I did. Regardless, such an intimate action was unexpected. Looking at him then, I felt an overwhelming urge to reach out and wrap my arms around him. And I might have done so if we weren't interrupted.

It didn't escape my notice that Hoseok abruptly stepped away from me just before Taehyung and Namjoon walked out from the doors, almost like he had sensed them coming despite his back facing them.

"Is everything okay?" Namjoon asked as the two of them came up to us. His golden-brown eyes found mine as he awaited an answer, seemingly prepared to step in if I seemed uncomfortable.

With a false smile, I gave him a nod. "We're good."

Hoseok finally moved so that all four of us could see each other, then Taehyung spoke up.

"We came to tell you that the nurse said Jimin will be out of surgery soon. They'll need some time to get him settled and he might be asleep for a while, though."

My heart leapt against my ribcage, desperate to escape and reunite with my best friend. Hoseok and I followed the other two back into the hospital and returned to Jungkook's room, finding Seokjin and Yoongi sitting on chairs at the far side of the space. Jungkook was on the edge of the bed with a nurse in front of him, using a stethoscope to check his lungs.

When she was done, she told him he should be fine to sign out as long as he would rest at home, stay hydrated, and continue to clean and dress the wound with the medication they would prescribe to him.

"Are you in much pain?" Hoseok asked, his voice coming out rather neutral. I glanced at him, wondering how he could be so unconcerned with his own brother, but then I picked up on the faintest hint of worry beneath his expression.

Jungkook shook his head. "No, I'm okay."

"I still don't understand why he's here," Yoongi said, eyeing Hoseok suspiciously.

"I told you, he drove Jangmi here. They were practicing together so he was with her when I called," Jungkook replied.

All of their stares pierced into Hoseok and me. They were still apprehensive toward him, though I couldn't comprehend why some of them cared so much. Taehyung, Namjoon, and Yoongi had no reason to worry for me, yet they still were bothered at the thought of me spending time with him.

"So then can't he leave now that she's here? One of us can take her back," Namjoon said.

Glancing at Hoseok, I saw that his eyes were stone-cold, shielding against their insolence.

"I asked him to stay."

At my firm statement, they grew quiet. Not another thing was uttered about Hoseok's presence, and I was surprised at the heat that had burned my chest from the need to stand up for him.

While Jungkook retold the events that led to him and Jimin getting hurt, I tuned out. Minutes passed by at an achingly slow pace until finally a doctor informed us that Jimin was settled and could see one visitor at a time.

There was no arguing over who would go to him first.

"Go," Jungkook said as he sent me a faint smile.

Without hesitation, I followed the doctor down the hall and into the elevator, going to the third floor. My heartbeat accelerated with every step as we neared his room. When we reached the door, the doctor nodded and left me alone.

Walking into that room and seeing him laying on the bed, hooked up to beeping machines with his feet propped up and wrapped in bandages, had to be one of the most painful things I'd ever experienced. My throat constricted and my breaths grew shallow as I moved to his side, finally facing the full reality of what happened to him.

"Jimin," I let out just above a whisper as I gently placed my hand over his, "I'm so sorry."

"Jangmi?"

I gasped as his hand squeezed mine and his eyes fluttered open, but soon they were widening and filling with a wild fear.

"It's okay, I'm here," I said as I sent him what I hoped would be a reassuring smile. I held his hand between both of mine, bringing it to my cheek so he could feel me. "See? I'm right here."

His features slowly relaxed as he realized that he was safe. I'd never seen him so afraid before and it took everything in me not to break down.

"The fire... it was after me," his voice faltered as he shook his head. "Jungkook saved me."

"I know," I whispered, "You're safe now."

Jimin's eyes left mine, trailing over the bed until they landed on his wounded feet. I watched his face ice over in shock and he swallowed. Slowly, he turned his head back to me, his expression lifeless.

"How long?" he asked.

I couldn't bring myself to respond. I didn't know what the answer was, and at my lack of words, I saw him crumble in front of me.

Dance was not only his passion. It was his life, and my heart tore apart for him.

"You'll heal. You'll get to dance again as soon you're better," I told him, and he nodded despite the single tear that trailed down his cheek.

I sat with him and comforted him, wishing I could take his place. Although I told him he didn't need to speak about it, Jimin recounted what had happened. His story lined up with everything Jungkook had claimed, and I felt another wave of gratitude toward my dance partner for being brave enough to save my best friend.

When I finally got Jimin to calm down, he asked if I could send Jungkook in next to thank him. I nodded, leaning forward to gently place a kiss on his cheek.

He finally managed a smile. "Will you come back?"

"Of course. I'll be here as long as they let me."

After returning to the first floor, I found Jungkook and told him that Jimin asked to see him next. While he left, the rest of us went to one of the separate waiting areas.

"You should get some sleep," Hoseok said as he came to sit on one of the couches with me, noticeably careful to keep space between us.

"I can't. What if Jimin needs me?"

Hoseok frowned. "If he asks for you or if anything happens, I'll wake you. But if you're planning on staying here all day, you should rest, Jangmi. I saw how exhausted you were back in the studio."

He was right. At that point, I was running on fumes. The last of my energy was spent from all the worry, as well as comforting Jimin.

"Alright," I finally agreed.

"Here." He handed me a small pillow that was near him, and I placed it on the armrest. Laying down on my side, I brought my feet up with room to spare since the couch was so long.

As exhaustion dragged me into the den of sleep, I had a flash of anticipation come over me. I knew who would be waiting for me, and for once, that was exactly what I wanted.

Suddenly, the couch beneath me melted away, replaced by wet dirt that cooled my skin. Sitting up, my hair blew across my face from the icy breeze. As I slowly came to stand, I realized that my feet were bare, digging into the moist soil. Then my gaze travelled over the thin, silk dress of scarlet that flowed around me and reached my ankles. My bare skin broke out in goosebumps as the chilled air blew harder. Finally, I looked ahead and took in the trees that reached endlessly toward the overcast sky, veiling me under deep shadows.

Something was off. My dream did not feel like my own, and I feared that The Hood was exerting more of his power than usual. He had placed me there intentionally, dressed me to his liking.

"Beautiful."

His distorted voice crept through the air and clung to my ears. I spun around, heart pounding as his familiar cloaked figure was suddenly much closer than his voice had led me to believe. He stood only a foot apart from me, just slightly taller in stature. I peered into the empty abyss of his hood, feeling my mouth go dry.

"How's your friend? A shame what happened to him, hm?"

Before I could find my voice, my entire body froze. Holding one hand out, a single orange flame danced in his palm. Under his mercy, it grew taller and brighter, flickering with controlled power - the same power that had burned Jimin and ripped a part of him away.

• • •

So basically... The Hood is Zuko.

No, but on a serious note, he's officially been outed as a fire bender from what we can tell. How do you feel about that?

And why do you think Jungkook and Hoseok have to hide their relation to each other?

I am very aware that my chapters always end of cliffhangers. I'm sorry if that's annoying, it's just that the story keeps moving and I can only make my updates so long without taking a million years to get them up for you guys.

Let me know of any updated theories, guys! I truly love seeing all of your thoughts. You are all so smart and some of your ideas just amaze me (even when they're wrong 😉).

Finally, just wanted to share these two GORGEOUS fanarts!

By @/butterlien.co on instagram (inspired by both The Phantom of the Opera and Beastly Beauty!)

By @lockwood_mendes!

Thank you both for the beautiful art. I'm so happy that this story inspired you!

Love you all. Thank you for your comments and your support. Truly means so much to me.

Your grateful author,

Kat ❤

August 7, 2020

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 293 21
Bangtan as Sailor Scouts, Artemis, & Luna; reader(y/n) as Tuxedo Mask role. Ongoing: Updated on Tuesday's! Chapters that are 21+ (due to mature the...
405 42 29
The opening of a new art gallery has your small town on edge. No one can quite pinpoint the reason why it opened 3 months ago. . . also why it is onl...
4.5K 426 23
I woke up jerking, my hands clutching the blanket. The same dream all over again! it's been a month since I last dreamt about it. The girl. Kerria H...
91.9K 2.5K 29
Working as a spy is fun and all, but when it comes to trust and loyalty, you can trust no one. JaeEun is working at Ryu Spy Agency when they get a n...