floating | ✓

By njhpiper

Gwen Bradbury has seen the end. Gwen Bradbury has learned fighting again. ... More

01| drunk
02| names
03| unicorns
04| midnight
05| adventure
06| bittersweet
07| hidden
08| words
09| golden
10| relationships
11| secrets
12| touch
13| sweatshirt
14| faye
15| red
17| vampire
18| heartbeats
19| haunted
20| sweetheart
21| carnival
22| games
23| hug
24| robots
25| family
26| claire
27| smile
28| lips
29| chords
30| ceasefire
31| revenge
32| girlfriend
33| sam
34| thankful
35| woody
36| boyfriend
37| dance
38| gwen
39| wounds
40| lie
41| owen
42| truth
43| oliver
44| letter
45| epilogue
The way I loved you (New book)

16| halloween

43.9K 1.5K 2.1K
By njhpiper

"Accept your feelings but don't let them rule you. You're in control. You're not their slave."

-Rosebud

16| halloween

I look at the mirror as I finish dressing up. My black silk dress with the fishnet stockings clings to my body. I have put on a red velvet cape. I think I have dressed the part.

Now, for the makeup-I put on a foundation that is a few shades lighter than my skin. I blend it in carefully and put on concealers, which is of the same pale, whitish color. Then I set it with some powder.

I look as pale as a ghost. I grin.

Then I apply some eyebrow powder and shape my eyebrows. Curling my eyelashes, I put on the fake ones. It takes more time than I expected, and it frustrates me.

After that, I draw a long line of eye liner, making the end sharp. I let it dry. Then it is time to apply lipstick.

I have stolen from my mom's vast collection of lipsticks. This one's name is blood red, and it looks exactly like the color of blood. It's a matte liquid one, so I put it on and let it set.

And I am all done.

I need to straighten my hair, which is going to be another time-consuming task. And I am so tired. I wish I had a best friend with me now, like those girls in books whose best friend does their makeup and transforms them into someone new.

"Mom! Mom!" I yell at the top of my lungs. "I need your help! "

Mom enters my room wearing her usual gray pencil skirt and white blouse, an ID card hanging from her neck.

"I thought you guys were dressing up for a party?" I ask, frowning.

"Yes, I am dressed," Mom answers, and I point to her the straightener. Mom shakes her head and starts combing my waist-length knotty hair.

"Are you supposed to be you?" I ask her through the mirror.

Mom laughs. "No. "

"Then?"

"Wait 'till you see your dad," Mom says, and I raise my eyebrow.

"Fine. "

It takes the longest to tame my hair, and after Mom's struggle, I have long black hair cascading down my back.

"That looks fine," I comment and turn around. Mom hands me the heels.

I am not a big fan of high heels, but you gotta wear what you gotta wear.

After I put them on, I stand up and do a twirl in front of the mirror.

"I think I look fine," I comment.

"Oh, honey, you look more than fine," Mom replies, with a smile that crinkles her eyes.

I think I am forgetting something. I am forgetting something.

"What am I forgetting?" I mumble to myself. I look down at the stuff I have in front of me. All beauty products are scattered all around. I don't see anything that I have forgotten to use.

"Mom, what do you think I'm forgetting?"

I ask Mom because yesterday, I gave her a briefing on my master plan about my costume and my makeup, which was supposed to be jaw dropping.

I don't look jaw dropping.

I look at mom. Her eyes flash for a moment. Then she shakes her head. "Nope, you are not forgetting anything. Let's go downstairs."

Mom puts her hands on my shoulders and leads me out of my room.

"But Mom-"

"You need to see your dad," Mom says.

"Alright," I say.

When I reach downstairs, I see a blue figure waiting on the sofa, hidden behind a newspaper.

"Dad," I call.

Dad puts the paper down.

Wait, that isn't my dad. I have to try really hard to not to do what I'm going to do. I don't want to hurt his feelings.

But I end up laughing my ass off. "Oh my God! Dad!"

He is wearing a skin-tight blue costume of Superman, which hangs to his natural body shape and belly fat. His thin hair is gelled back. The big S in his chest glitters because of the gold shimmers around it.

The most amazing part of the costume is the underwear. My dad is sitting on the couch with his costume and a big red underwear over it.

I mean, come on, Superman's costume wouldn't be completed without it.

"Don't!" Dad warns.

I can't stop laughing. "The underwear!"

"I said don't," Dad warns again. Behind me, Mom laughs a little.

"Honey, you look amazing, trust me."

"Of course, it was your idea!" Dad complains, pointing an accusing finger at mom.

I turn around and say, "So you are supposed to be Lois Lane?"

"Yes, and don't I look perfect?" Mom says, smiling.

"Of course you do! High five," I raise my palm, and Mom high-fives back.

"I better own this." Dad stands up, gives a tug at his red cape, and I laugh a little again.

"Every girl thinks their dad is superman. You made it true, literally."

Dad shakes his head as I laugh. Mom joins me.

"Let's take a picture," Mom suggests and takes out her phone. She takes a selfie.

"It doesn't make sense, you know, how Superman and Lois Lane gave birth to a vampire daughter," I say.

"And an Elton John son," Mom says and shows me Sam's Instagram story. My brother has dressed up as Elton John.

"I wish he was here," I say. Mom nods in agreement.

A car honks outside.

"That must be your friend," Mom says.

Jason is supposed to pick me up for the party that is at the Carlsons' house. I remember the last party I had there, which led to a lot of things, which led to this.

"Yup," I say. "That's him."

As I open the door, Jason gets out from his car in his black costume, a weird helmet tucked under his arm. I have no idea who he is supposed to be.

Although we went shopping together, we ended up buying our stuff separately. It was Jason's idea that we shouldn't know what the other is dressing up as.

His black cape flutters in the air as he steps towards us.

"And you are?" I ask.

Jason gives me a look. "I will give you one more minute."

I frown, concentrating, trying to remember if I have seen that helmet before somewhere.

"Meet my parents," I say. "Mom, Dad this is Jason. Jason, Mom and Dad."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. And Mrs. Bradbury," Jason says, smiling politely.

"It's nice to meet you too honey," Mom says, and Dad grumbles, looking at Jason.

"Don't you dare laugh!"

"I won't, Mr. Bradbury," Jason says, pursing his lip tight. Then he puts on his helmet hastily, and I hear a choked sound of stifled laughter. I can't blame Jason.

I am sure Jason is laughing his ass off behind his mask.

Wait, I know who he is.

"You are Darth Vader!" I comment.

"It took you long enough," Jason replies. "I believe I made you watch Star Wars. "

"Okay, then. We will be going," I say, facing Mom.

Mom nods. "Your dad and I will probably be out tonight. Be good, and take care."

"Okay! Happy Halloween!" I wave as I get in Jason's car.

"It is so weird. Darth Vader giving a vampire a lift," I say.

"Yup, it is the only time of the year when this happens. Just you wait, we will see ridiculous amounts of costumes."

I laugh. "Do you have any idea who Oliver is supposed to be?"

"Nope. He didn't tell me. The fact that he is dressing up for the party is a big mystery itself. Usually, he vanishes on Halloween."

"Oh," I say. "Well, by not telling us, Mr. Mystery Man is keeping the mystery alive. "

"Totally."

"Don't you ever wonder what goes on inside his brain?"

"Sweetie, I don't have a crush on him. "

I punch Jason playfully in his arm, "Hey! I don't have a crush on him. I am just curious. "

"Of course, you are."

I huff and look outside through the window. I wonder who Oliver will be. I have no idea. Oliver is still an enigma to me. I mean, I know how he reacts to certain things after hanging out with him for weeks. But I can't tell what he is going to do the next second. He is always giving me surprises. He is hard to figure out. And worst of all, he is so closed off, it hurts.

I sigh.

Soon, we reach the Carlsons' house. Jason and I get out of the car. The whole house has been redecorated for Halloween. Owen Carlson knows what he is doing. I see eerie lights and carved pumpkins as I walk through the front door.

He has clearly brought the vibe.

"Jason Swindlersss!" A guy slurs as we get in.

He is dressed up as Woody from Toy Story. He has a drink in his hand and is probably wasted.

"And that's a hottie!"

"Okay, yeah, I am, Woooodyyyy!" I mimic and roll my eyes. I don't even know his name. He is probably a senior.

As we walk in, I hear the music blasting. I see lots of characters. Some make sense. Some don't. I see at least five Wonder Women and three Batmans. I see Ariel, CatWoman, Barbie and Ken. I see a Spiderman too. I turn around and spot Voldemort and Harry Potter chatting with drinks in their hands.

What a lovely sight.

"Care to find our friend?!" Jason yells over the music. There is so much noise I hardly hear him.

"Pretty sure he has locked himself up in his room!" I yell back.

"No doubt!"

I follow Jason, then I halt in my steps. I shake my head hopelessly.

"There you go."

He is right there standing shirtless in the middle of the crowd. His jeans hung low on his hips. There is a lingerie clad girl in his arms. They are laughing over something.

"Well, nobody can judge them now," Jason comments. "It's Halloween."

"Yeah." I shake my head.

Owen Carlson sometimes really disappoints me. But I am not here for him.

So, Jason and I continue our search for our 'friend'. God knows where he is hiding.

Then I see a black-suited guy in a corner, standing with a group of people with this weird stance, like he doesn't want to be there, but he has no choice.

That is Oliver Carlson for you.

"That is him," I point to Jason.

I can see the back of Oliver's head. His blonde hair looks really neat and clean-cut today.

"Oliver." Jason slaps on Oliver's back, and Oliver turns around.

Remember how I wanted to look jaw dropping? Someone does.

My jaw hits the floor and rolls there. When Jason said, Oliver doesn't bother to dress up for Halloween, I thought he would pass it off by wearing some normal clothes and not giving a flying fig about the party.

But if he decides he will make an effort, he does his best. I got the proof today.

Oliver is wearing this long black tailcoat that fits him really nicely. His white dress shirt is ironed and tucked underneath his black trousers. He is wearing this cute little black bow tie. His blonde hair is gelled back from his forehead.

Have I ever told you I love it when boys wear formal? I just told you now. And boy, does he look good.

That's not all. It is the drop of blood, right beside the corner of his lips, like he just sucked blood from someone and is casually hanging out after that, not even bothering to wipe it off.

There are also drops of blood here and there in his shirt and coat.

He is the most handsome vampire I have ever laid my eyes on.

Then something clicks in my brain.

As I stare at Oliver, his eyes flash too.

"You are-"

"I knew it was a bad idea," Oliver mumbles.

"It's like God giving us a sign we should be together," I blurt out with my big mouth.

"Obviously!" Jason interjects. "Here we have Edward and Bella Cullen."

Both Oliver and I glare at Jason, who laughs loudly. "This is gold! I mean, neither of you knew the other would be a vampire, and here we are. Both of you dressed up as a vampire!"

I blink. "Oh no!"

"What now?" Oliver asks as if he is bored.

"How could I!" I almost scream. "That's what I was forgetting! The blood! My canines! Mom knew it."

Oliver shrugs.

"Where are your fake canines?" I ask as we start to head back towards the way we came.

Oliver gives me a look,"My own canines are enough."

His voice is low and rough. I don't know if I imagined it, but his pupils dilated a little. Oh damn.

He is going to bite me.

You know what, I'm a vampire, I might as well bite him back. I bet he will be delicious.

"Did I tell you, you look absolutely amazing tonight?" I turn and see Jason smiling. "I'm impressed."

Jason is a sweetheart, isn't he?

"Well, I was supposed to have blood all over my face and lips," I say.

Oliver glances at my lips. "It looks quite red."

"Do they?" I ask, biting my lower lip.

Oliver looks away. Jason chuckles. He really enjoys when I tease his friend.

"However, while setting my foundation and doing my hair, I forgot about it. Mom knew it, but she didn't remind me," I say in a complaining tone.

I think Mom thought I would go crazy with the amount of paint I bought.

"You look hotter than hell anyway. I am sure Oliver agrees." Jason nudges Oliver.

"I have never been to hell," Oliver mumbles.

What a killjoy. Would it hurt him to compliment me? I roll my eyes.

"Well, you look colder than ice. So I guess if you melt around me, it will prove how hot I am," I say.

Jason chuckles. Oliver doesn't bother to reply.

As we get to the dance floor, Jason leads us for drinks. I take a lemonade because I am planning to stay around and not get over drunk and puke tonight.

"Remember that time when I puked in your toilet?" I ask Oliver with my eyes shining.

Oliver shudders. "I wish I could forget."

I chuckle. He huffs.

"I really had fun annoying you. The look on your face when I invited you to join me in the bed. I won't forget that ever!" I say still grinning.

Oliver turns to me. "Are you planning to do that again?"

I look up at him. "Why? Will you give me a different answer?"

Oliver's gaze drills in mine. I take a sharp intake of breath. His eyes take a quick tour of me.

"No," he replies. "By the way, I have some errands to do."

"What errands?" Jason asks from the front, giving me my lemonade.

Oliver shrugs. "See you later."

He vanishes into the crowd.

"I guess he couldn't take my hotness," I comment, looking after the way he vanished.

"That is certainly the case," Jason replies, "Maybe he is melting inside, so he ran away to save himself."

I grin. "You speak my mind."

"Look at the dance floor, they are doing a poor job. Let's show them what dancing really is."

"Sure," I say and follow Jason.

The night isn't over yet. This is just the beginning.

*****

A/N: So sorry I missed the update. I was busy with stuff.

I was thinking of weekly update schedule if y'all agree. Maybe I'll update on every Thursday? What do you say?

Next update will be on Thursday, weekly or not.

Although I have heard of the, '4 Days are too long' club!

But I have to stay up to date with my writing and I'm kinda busy at the moment so I think weekly update schedule will be the best.

Also, you guys aren't ready for the next chapter ;) and what's to come!

Stay safe. See ya.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39 0 12
for the music lovers 💘 ---------------------------------------------------------- After being forced to leave the big city for a tiny town in Colora...
3.1M 78K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
1.9K 100 60
Nia Evans feels as though her kidney disease is ruining every aspect of her life. In particular, her last year of school. So, rather than return to t...
7.5K 280 44
Book I of 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓢𝓱𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔀 𝓢𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 After feeling invisible for so long she finally was seen by the one boy that was supposed to be off limits...