Grace // Klaus Mikaelson

By HalcyonFire

Grace Verde, shy, introvert, nothing special. Grace lived in a world where vampires, werewolves and witches w... More

g r a c e
Authors Note
Part One
c a s t
p l a y l i s t
0 0
0 1
0 2
0 3
0 4
0 5
0 6
0 7
0 8
0 9
1 0
1 1
1 2
1 3
1 4
1 5
1 7
1 8
1 9
20
21
2 2
23
24
25
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Author's Note
Part Two
2.01
2.02
2.03
2.04

26

4.2K 122 10
By HalcyonFire

24 August 2010

"Looks familiar, doesn't it?"

"I can't believe this place is still here."

"You got to be kidding me." A new voice called out, shocked Grace turned to face a fairly tall lady, her hair wound into right coils that radiated out from her head.

"So a hybrid walks into a bar, says to the bartender.."

"Stop. You may be invincible, but that doesn't make you funny." The lady shifted her attention from Nik to Stefan.

"I remember you."

"Yeah. You're Gloria. Shouldn't you be..."

"Old and dead? Now if I die, who's going to run this place, huh?"

"Gloria's a very powerful witch."

"I can slow the aging down some. Herbs and spells. But don't worry, it'll catch up to me one day."

"Stefan, why don't you go and fix us up a little something from behind the bar?"

"Yeah, sure thing."

Stefan goes to the bar and Grace trails behind him. Zeus was still in the car and she felt out of place in a bar where everyone seemed to know each other apart from her.

"You have a beautiful aurora child."

"Thank You?"

"I've never seen something so chaotic."

"So chaos is beautiful?" She asked, confused.

"There is nothing more beautiful than unconventionality"

"Speaking of beauty, you look ravishing, by the way." He said, diverting Gloria's attention away from Grace, pouring on his infamous charm. Grace smiled though, even though they were fighting it was nice to know that she could tell the difference between his forced charm and sincere side.

"Don't." She snapped, quickly shutting him down. "I know why you're here. A hybrid out to make more hybrids? That kind of news travels."

"So what am I doing wrong? I broke the curse."

"Obviously you did something wrong."  She must really know Nik well. "Look, every spell has a loophole, but a curse that old...We'd have to contact the witch who created it."

"Hence why I'm here - for a witch to contact a dead witch - the original witch."

"Why come to me when you already have a witch of your own?" She asked extending a finger toward Grace.

"Gloria, how your powers have diminished over the years. Grace isn't witch." Nik said, turning to face her there eyes locking. "She's human."

Very human, stupidly human even.  She wanted to add but the combined gaze of Nik and this strange witch kept her quite.

"No?"  Gloria countered, moving toward Grace to inspect her herself. "I'm normally never wrong."

"Well this time you are." Grace snapped, backing away from the lady and her poking hands.

"You have a strong aura child."

"But that doesn't make me a witch." Grace replied unsure if she was telling her or asking her.

"Maybe cursed then?"  Gloria said, now circling Grace.

"Gee thanks."

"Gloria what is this nonsense?"

"I can sense something." She replied, not taking her eye of Grace. Picking up one of the drinks Stefan had poured she took a sip of the glass then without a second though threw it at Grace.

The glass hit of her arm and shattered on the floor, drink and shards flying everywhere. Grace let out a sharp cry of pain.

"Interesting."

"Gloria!" Nik yelled. "What on earth do you think you are doing."

"I'm testing my a theory Klaus, your little human won't get hurt."

"Well this little human is definitely gonna bruise." Grace snapped, rubbing her arm.

Dismissing her, Gloria simply circled her with a decisive nod the witch laid her hand on Grace's arm muttering in what sounded like Latin but it was too fast for her to be sure.

It didn't last long though, quickly Gloria pulled her hand away as though she had be touched scolding metal fresh from the furnace. Her face flickered and Grace felt like she was in the matrix experiencing a glitch, suddenly all Gloria's years seemed to appear on her face but as if it was a mere flicker of the light she returned to her normal self. Goes up to her and mutters some Latin spells but pulls her hand back as though she had touched hot metal.

Gloria held out her arm and an old leather bound journal flew from behind the counter into her waiting hand. Flicking through the pages she hummed and sighed, by now Nik's foot was tapping and his arms were crossed.

He was not impressed.

"Have you ever had any interactions with other magic practitioners or ever anything strange happen when you are approach or touched by someone like a vampire?"

"No, of course she hasn't." Nik said rolling his eyes but Grace interjected.

"Actually I have, a couple of times as well."

"Very interesting." Gloria replied in an almost mystical way, pouring over the page of the book she had laid out in front of her.

"What does it mean?" Grace asked but before Gloria could answer she was interrupted.

"That is not what we are here for!" Nik snapped, Grace couldn't understand why he was so angry. Retreating back to Stefan she sighed, surely her being a witch made her more useful anyway?

"I know, I know. For me to contact the witch you seek, I'll need help. Bring me Rebekah."

Stefan's attention was suddenly caught by something on the wall, his eyes widened in recognition and he plucked it off the wall to give it a closer look.

"Rebekah."  Nik mused. "Rebekah is a bit preoccupied."

"She has what I need. Bring her to me."  There was no room for discussion in her tone.

"What is this?" Stefan asked, holding out the photo he has been looking at.

"Well, I told you, Stefan. Chicago's a magical place." Grave peered over his shoulder and gasped at what she saw.

"But this is me. With you."

It was a picture of the two of them, large pearly smiles stretched across their faces and Stefan's arm slung round Nik shoulder. From what they were wearing it looked like some time back in the 1920s but that would mean that Nik and Stefan had met before, not only that but they were friends. 

Following that collective revelation the walk to the car was deadly quite and the entire car ride there was only a continuation of that snake eerie silence. It wasn't until they reached the warehouse that Stefan asked the question that had been playing on both his and Grace's mind.

"This doesn't make any sense." He said still looking at the photograph. "Why don't I remember you?"

"You said it yourself: that time had a lot of dark holes."

"No, if you knew me, then why haven't you said anything?"

"I'm a little busy right now. Memory Lane will have to wait."

"What the hell is going on? Answer me."

"Let's just say we didn't get off to a brilliant start. To be honest, I hated you."

Before he could explain GrCe walked past the two of them toward the contents of the warehouse.

"Is that...are those?"

"Coffins yes, each containing a member of my wonderful family."

Grace nearly balked at the sight, it was then she decided that when she died she wanted to be cremated. She couldn't stand those casket, not after her own personal experience with them now even more so that she had seen how Nik kept his siblings - half alive in coffins to be carted around at his will.

Elijah was probably in one of them, she could still remember him getting that dagger plunged into him by Nik - not one of her happiest memories.

It wasn't just you and me of course. Nik said, walking over to the coffins opening one. We were a trio of sorts.

Your sister.

Yes, you me and Rebekah. He smiled and gently touched her face.

"I don't recognize her."

"Well, don't tell her that." He chuckled. "Rebekah's temper is worse than mine."

With a quick flick of the wrist he pulled the dagger out her chest, it was the same as the one he used to plunge his brother into eternal sleep.

A couple of minutes past but still nothing.

"Time to wake up, little sister. Any day now, Rebekah."

Yet she still lay there dead turning to Stefan he rolled his eyes.

"She's being dramatic."

"Look, why don't you just tell me what the hell is going on? I mean, you obviously want me here for a reason, right?"

"Well, you have many useful talents."

"Do I?"

"In fact, I learned some of my favourite tricks from you."

Before Nik could delve into the fantastical yet predictably gruesome tales of the roaring twenties and what he and then ripper Stefan got up to Grace spoke up.

"As interesting as reliving the glory days may be do you, I have zero interest in doing. I'll be at Gloria's join me sooner rather then later."

"Are you sure?" Stefan asked her, his eyes gentle.

"Yes I'm sure, and I'll be fine Gloria will look after me."

"So you came back?"

"Yes."

"You saw interest where Klaus only saw fear."

"Fear of what - Nik's scarred of few things, impatient about many yes but not scared."

"Tell yourself whatever you want love. I deal until he truths that I see and hear."

"I'm not here to argue with you."

"No you were interest in what I had to say, what Klaus had no interested in hearing."

"I suppose, before Nik interrupted you were going to say something - what was it."

"You definitely have magic that much is sure but I can't tell what it is, it's faint and residual yet flares up when approached by anything else magical."

"And you threw a glass at me to test what - to see if it would flare up?"

"Precisely, if it was a protection barrier or a spell placed in you by another witch it could have been triggered by anything it saw as a danger."

"So it's not a curse or a barrier spell?"

"Or it could be one just designed to protect you from magic."

"You don't seem so sure though."

"No I am not."

Grace took a seat at the car, wincing slightly as she sat down, she needed to replace her bandages but hadn't had time to get away from Nik and Stefan to do so.

"Are you with child?"

"Excuse me, what did you just say!"

"Are you pregnant." She asked pointedly, her eyes dipping to Grace's hands clutched to her stomach. In reality she was holding her throbbing wound that was inflicting so much pain she felt sick. "I can't sense the child but you might be early enough along that it's aurora isn't fully developed. It would explain the magic if the baby was the child of magic practitioner, infants in the womb have been known to produce protective magic especially if the mother is a human."

"I am not with child." Grace said removing her hand to cross them over her chest.

"Then why are you cradling you stomach? I know maternal markers when I see them."

"I'm not pregnant I'm just in pain." Grace said, her eyes flicking to make sure that Nik hadn't decided to reappear. "I have wound in my abdomen that's all." She whispered anyway.

"Have you had it looked at?" She said taking the change surprisingly well.

"Nik doesn't know so I haven't been to a doctor, I patched it up as best I could."

Gloria motioned for Grace to show her. Slowly lifting up her top she breathed out sharply, the longer she left it the worse movement was becoming.

"You mind if I?"  She asked this time before touching Grace.

"Of course not - if you think you can help you are more than welcome to."

Gently untied the bandage loosening it enough to lower it of the gauze. Grace dare not look down she knew it was bad she had no need to confirm her suspicions besides Gloria's soothing and concerned noises were good enough indicators.

"Have you ever had a cleansing ritual performed on you?"

"Not that I know of."  Grace said, her tone unsure almost as if she was posing the question not answering it.

"Well it'll be a new sensation that's for sure but this wound needs cleansed before it can be healed."

"Alright." Grace said not quite knowing what she was agreeing to but knowing something needed to be done.

Motion for her to sit on the counter, Grace did as she was told, reposition herself so she was sitting in front of her. 

Gloria put her hand over the wound, hovering just above it she closed her eyes and began matter what Grace assumed to be her spell or incantation. It sounded like the route of the spell was Latin but there were some harsh Germanic words mixed in, before should discern anything else the spell took hold.

Slamming her hand down into the counter she gasped, tightening the same hand into a fist her eyes scrunched close and her nose flared. The magic was working she could feel it - what she also felt as akin to being weaved back together. It felt like Gloria was stitching her together on a molecular level with an arc wielding torch. In short it hurt like hell.

Waking up again she was enveloped in green linen sheets drenched in a warm morning light. Absentmindedly she dressed herself, humming a tune she couldn't quite remember the name to. It was a Saturday or maybe a Tuesday, she was never quite sure these days.

Instead of the usual toast and juice Nik stood their with a wicked grin and sword in hand. While the days may slip by the surprise were frequent and fascinating, wether it was the stories or the strange presents.

Nik inverted the sword so it was hilt up and passed it to her. Raising an eyebrow she held out her hand to revive the unusual gift.

As soon as he had let go all the weight of the bulky metal sword was transferred to her, not expecting it to be so heaving, the tip of the sword clattered to the ground and she feel to one knee.

Looking back up at him in befuddlement he merely smiled and motioned for her to get up again.

Hauling her and the unnecessarily heavy sword to a standing position, clasping the hilt with two hands she raised the sword so it stood vertical. Her legs were slightly apart, one further forward than the other, like she had seen in movies.

Giving her an encouraging smile he walked over to the door and returned with a similar looking weapon.

"Why on earth do you have a sword in the umbrella stand?" She had never noticed that there was a sword in the apartment, not that's he spent much time inspecting the content of the umbrella stand.

"Why on earth not?"  He laughed. Bringing up his sword he mirrored her position, the only difference being that he only needed one hand to keep the metal sword steady and upright.

"Show off."  She whispered narrowing her eyes at him. 

Lowering the sword so it was pointing at her he motioned for to come forward and attack with his free hand, she knew he was messing with her but moved forward none the less.

Swing the sword with a mighty war cry she lunged at Nik who parried her blow sending her sword flying out of her hands and embedding itself in the wall behind her.

Sighing she walked over to her sword. Placing her right foot on the wall next to it she used her entire body to try and pull it free. After several attempts it came loose and she swung around to face him with the intention of asking him how to actually fight with sword but instead the sword slipped out her hand and went flying towards him.

The force behind the accidental throw sent him flying backwards until the sword was embedded in the opposite wall but this time going through his chest to get there.

Grace let out a screen running towards him, her hands flapping around.

"Nik!"  She cried.

"I'm alright love."  He said somewhat strained.

"Oh, what do I do?"  She asked, her voice higher than usual, her brow creased in horror at what she had done.

"Pull it out."  He grunted.

"But, uhh, its in your chest!"

"I know!"  He snapped, she recoiled at his voice and he instantly apologised.

"No I'm sorry, I shouldn't be freakin' out, you're the one impaled on a sword."  She said, placing one hand on the sword the over on his chest. "And to think I was going to ask you how I am meant to defend myself with a sword, guess I answered my own question."  She said with a nervous chuckle.

Pulling slightly, he let out a low groan of pain.

"I'm sorry."  She apologised repeatedly but didn't stop, it was a slow and painful procedure for the both of them but finally the bloodied sword dropped to the ground along with the man she had just removed it from.

Squatting down in front of him her hands went to his face pulling up so she could look in his eyes and apologise one last time.

"You have no reason to apologise, that was quite spectacular love, we'll make a warrior of you yet little one."  She blushed slightly at his pet name for her, she could be called love all day but the tone he used when he called her little one made her insides shiver, it wasn't teasing, it was endearing and something she would never get tired of hearing.

Looking away from him she instead turned her gaze to the wall, a sizeable scar had been left, going rather far into the wall so far in fact  that when she closed one eye she could see all the way out into the room next door.

How she had managed to find the strength to execute such a throw was beyond her but it seemed to not confuse Nik who had a thoughtful look on his face.

"What?"  She asked, he raised his eyebrows at her. "What are you thinking, I know that look." 

"Its nothing."  He said.  "Nothing to worry yourself with." Standing to his feet he brushed the non existent dust off his trouser legs and pulled at his t-shirt. "I happened to like this top love."

"Well maybe you shouldn't have worn it when teaching me how to fight with a sword!"  She quipped copying his famous Klaus smirk.

"Maybe not."  He laughed, at both her words and the out of place smirk on her face. Joining in with his laugh she stood whipping her hands on the sides of her leggings. She hasn't noticed that they were covered in his blood until that moment but it was to be expected that after removing a sword from a man's torso a little blood would be spilt.

Brushing her hair out of her face with the back of her hand she looked up at him waiting for his next move. 

To her surprise he bent down to retrieve his lost sword. Raising it he circled back to his original position. Mirroring her motions the two ended up back where they had started, her holding a heavy sword and him easily holding his with elegance and a single-handedness that Grace as sure was his little jab at her inexperience. Without a second thought she reentered their little sparring match, this time determined to do better.

Before she could find out if she was going to fare better the second time round her vision was obscured by the same golden sunshine from the bedroom and a distant voice calling her.

She didn't know how long she had been passed out form but she woke up laying on the bar with Gloria circling her head with a bundle of burning herbs. Grace could feel a weight pressing on her forehead and on her wound.

Gloria noticing she come too and put down the herbs and lifting the objects from her, relieving the pressure. Weighing each one in her hands Gloria smiled before explaining. "Black Onyx to block negativity and Tourmaline for protection - there were a lot of toxins in that wound Grace."

Sitting up she looked down at her feet were there were three candles - one white, one blue and one black. She could only assume they were of some importance but didn't bother asking.

"Did you dream well?"  Gloria asked, her expression was as though she already knew the answer.

"It was just a memory, a distant memory."

"Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory." She smiled though Grace thought she had heard those words before she couldn't quite decide where from.

// Authors Note //

That at the end is a Dr. Seuss quote and I absolutely love it.

I hope you are enjoying the progression of Grace's story. I would love to hear your predictions for what her future holds or any scenes you have particularly enjoyed.

Thank you for all your love support and engagement!

Please like, comment, follow and share,
Emma xox

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244K 3.3K 38
Evie, a Gilbert, but selfless. Always put others first, and herself last. It is her senior year, and she meets Klaus, and it goes from there..... (in...
222K 6.7K 24
"She's the embodiment of chaos itself-a combination of all her siblings, the worst parts of them. She's more vengeful than Klaus, more conniving than...
1.4M 32.5K 64
❖𝐆𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐨𝐬, 𝐬𝐡𝐞'𝐥𝐥 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐞. 𝐆𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐥, 𝐬𝐡𝐞'𝐥𝐥 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐇𝐞𝐥...
5.1K 57 26
Klaus' twin, Y/n Mikaelson ran away the moment after turning into a vampire. Unknowingly, she activated her werewolf curse. She lived the other 1000+...