Don't give up on me ✓

By BabyInACorner

When a road trip goes wrong, Georgia finds herself trapped inside Maythorne Manor with four hot boys and a se... More

[01] The Road Trip
[02] Maythorne Manor
[02A] The Sons
[03] Naked
[04] Down the Rabbit Hole
[05] Extraordinary
[06] Everglades Academy
[07] Eye Candy
[08] School Bus Behavior
[09] Good Shot
[10] World on my shoulders
[11] Hungover
[12] How you don't like me
[13] Poison on my lips
[14] They're Nuts
[15] Empty Space and Video Games
[16] Let's Leave
[17] Peacock
[18] Purple
[19] It's 5PM Somewhere
[20] Sleepover without the sleep
[21] Dog Bite
[22] No Kissing
[23] Your Imagination
[24] Splash
[25] Vampires
[26] Growing Apart
[27] Leave
[28] X
[29] Lucky Strike
[30] Agent 007
[31] Rome
[32] Elevator
[33] Smile for the camera
[34] Hardest Mission
[35] Star-Crossed Lovers
[36] Aftermath
[37] Air Cabin Pressure
[38] Say Something
[39] Camera
[40] A Kiss
[41] Low Key
[42] Reunited
[43] Seeing double
[44] Piña Coladas
[45] Mansion Mates
[46] PR Savior
[47] Worth it
[48] Run Georgia Run
[49] Hot Chocolate & A Blanket
[50] Beaten & Bruised
[51] Smoke Out
[52] Pick Up
[53] Fruit Punch, with emphasis on the punch
[54] Trap
[55] Spirit
[56] The Tortoise and the Hare
[57] Lord Byron
[58] Bathroom Banned
[59] Rochelle
[60] We Danced Together
[61] Finish What We Started
[62] DJ T
[64] One Night Left
[65] Fever
[66] The Visit
[67] All The Time
[68] My Own Name
[69] Someday
Updates!

[63] Don't Tell Me

11K 1.2K 683
By BabyInACorner

'When confronted with a challenge, the committed heart will search for a solution. The undecided heart searches for an escape' - Andy Andrews

Chapter 63: Don't Tell Me

We finally went to sleep at noon, passed out all over the living room.  It was a good idea to prepare the pull-out couch bed, but DJ T never even made it to his. 

I woke up to the sound of my phone vibrating next to my nose. My face was plastered against the pillow and I woke up as if I had been knocked out for the last few hours. 

I put the phone to my ear, "Lavender Georgia Young, you better be finding your way home by tomorrow. I don't want you anywhere other than Maythorne Manor when the Visit occurs. If you're not prepared for it, there is zero chance you'll survive. Zero!"

"Euh..." I tried to speak but my throat was sore. 

The caller hung up.  Mrs Maythorne was an aggressive alarm clock. 

I turned around and found Jesper asleep next to me. He had one arm behind the back of his head and, somehow, he was shirtless again.

I sat up and looked at the four other bodies passed out on the living room. The blue hair meant one of them was Tyler. 

"Jesper," I shook him awake, "Jesper."

"Hmm?" he opened his eyes and when he saw me he smiled. 

He pulled me closer towards him to give me another kiss. "Happy new year."

"Happy new year," I said, relaxing a little. 

I'd woken up thinking of life-and-death and here Jesper was reminding me of love. Well, that's a strong word, but he's been my best friend for life, so there's definitely strong feelings there.

"I think we have to go," I told him, "The Visit is coming soon and Mrs Maythorne just called."

Jesper groaned and slowly sat up, "She ordered you?"

"Yes."

**

Since I had a life or death trial coming up in a couple days, it didn't make much sense to talk about our future.  The what ifs, the whys, the how are we feeling? 

And most importantly, the what are we?

Jesper didn't ask me any of those questions.  Last night had shown that we cared for each other in a different way than before. 

And that was it.  

"I want you to focus on surviving this cursed visit," Jesper told me, driving through the night. We hadn't wasted any time in making the road trip. 

"I hope I make it," I said, staring at the open road ahead of us.

"You have to," Jesper answered, "I don't know what life will be if you don't."

"This is the one thing you can't do with me, isn't it?" I asked, looking at him, "Are you scared too?"

He didn't take his eyes off the road but he said, "Terrified."

I was scared I'll change.  Right now, I'm human.  I feel human emotions and I've lived the life of a human.  I was scared that after the Visit, I would be changed.

**

We arrived at Maythorne Manor in the early hours of the next morning.  Jesper went straight to sleep since he'd been driving the whole time. I had napped for a little in the car but, also, I find myself needing less sleep lately. 

Emily told me that Isla had stayed over with Hugo.  They were coupled up in his room.

And Bianna and Zane had come back from visiting the other clan a couple days ago. Their fighting had disappeared.  

So Maythorne Manor had gone from a haunted house to a love shack.

I found Mohan in his study and asked if he had a minute. 

"You were very disapproving about a relationship in this house," I told him. "So I want to know what'll happen to us."

"With you and Nate?" Mohan asked me.

I shook my head, "With me and Jesper."

He looked surprised to hear that. "Are you sure you're not with Nate?"

I frowned. "Mohan. No, I'm not confused with who I'm dating." 

Well, Jesper and I hadn't exactly said those words.  We were in a mess, that's for sure. He had just broken up with Holly and I'd had just had a very complicated thing with Jesper.  

Mohan chuckled sadly, "None of it matters right now. You are about to be thrown into the fire. Going on the Visit, will unlock the true strength of your powers and test you to the brink of breaking." 

I nodded.  Maybe we just didn't have the right timing.

In a way, that's what Nate has been saying.

"Don't look sad about Nate," Mohan misunderstood my emotions, "He's right to focus on this. Once you survive, you'll be stronger and more in tune with your true selves.  Scepters feel on a different level to humans. We rarely find our soulmates but, when we do..." 

"Thanks Mohan," I said, not finishing the conversation with him.

I didn't really want to hear it, to be honest. He was basically telling me that Nate and I were destined to be together.  But I wanted to be with Jesper. My best friend.

I walked downstairs to the kitchen and poured myself a cold glass of water. I drank half of it and set it down on the counter. No one else was awake yet. What was this insomnia?

I heard the sound of an engine outside. Lights near the porch. It was 5AM. Who could it be?

I stepped out into the foyer just as I saw a shadow eclipse the front window. The door unlocked, and I couldn't move, my instinct immediately telling me who it was.

Him.

Nathaniel stood at the doorway. The moon shone in the sky behind him. He carried his luggage in one hand and let it drop to the floor. 

 His eyes were entirely focused on me in a way only his could be. They zeroed in on my soul, as if he was catching up on everything by speaking with it directly.

He'd come under the cloak of darkness. I had a suspicion he'd done it to intentionally avoid me.

"Georgia," he said.

Between the two of us, he was the brave one. I was too afraid to say anything. I didn't want to break this moment. I didn't want to feel that my happiness with Jesper would destroy his. It wasn't fair. He was too good.

"Hey," I said.

"Something's different," he answered, as if he could feel the air between us change.

I nodded, "Jesper and I..."

I intentionally didn't finish the sentence.  I didn't need to.  He obviously understood.

"OK," he nodded and walked past me, "Don't tell me." 

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

I lay back in bed with Jesper, wrapped under the sheets. I tried to sleep.

Nathaniel had been very affectionate at the holiday party, when he told me we were forever. Why do I have to hurt someone I care about?

Tears were dripping from my eyes to the pillow. I had my back to Jesper. I didn't want him to see. I hoped he was fast asleep. 

I cursed my insomnia and I cursed all my feelings that led me here. I felt like a bad person. How could following my heart feel so wrong?

"Come here," Jesper's voice echoed in the silence.

He turned me around gently, his hand under my chin. I faced him with our heads on the pillow. He saw the tears I had been hiding and with his fingers, he gently wiped them away. Then he leant forward and kissed my cheeks where the tears used to be.

"I saw Nate," I confessed.

"You didn't mean to hurt him," Jesper told me.

"I didn't mean it," I repeated, crying again, "But I did."

"Sssh, it's ok," he pulled me close, "We've gotten through everything together and we'll get through this. It'll be OK."

Why did I feel like it's not?

A/N: As I'm writing, I feel like the tension is rising towards the visit. Do you feel that as a reader?

I also feel for Georgia because she's landed in such a mess between Nate and Jesper.  What do you think of this 'soul mate' conversation with Mohan?

New chapter tomorrow!! Please vote if you enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190K 3.6K 29
When Bree moves to a new school, the last thing she expects is to bump into an old friend. But her friend has changed, into a cold, badass player who...
23 1 14
Hi guys! Thanks for checking out my story. It's currently a short story. My plan, however, is to continue the story. So it will become a full manusc...
7.7M 235K 35
Angel Harper has had a tough life. At fifteen, she lost her parents and little brother to a tragic car accident that will forever change her. Her aun...
35.8K 714 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...