Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

To Enbarr:

297 12 10
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

It was night.

The day had been long. For tomorrow they marched to Enbarr, and for that reason Claude was insistent that they spend every moment possible in the Cardinal's room hashing out strategy plans.

"Why don't we just sic the Death knight on them?" Sylvain suggested.

That was the first time Byleth had ever seen Mercedes look at someone with murderous rage.

Ingrid proceeded to slap the back of Sylvain's head, "You're being insensitive" she scolded

"Also, stupid" Felix said, "The Death Knight came from the Empire, we can't just expect him to attack them because we asked him to" he said.

"Felix" Ingrid said sternly while shooting Mercedes an apologetic look.

Byleth sat outside of her room door reminiscing on that meeting. She has no clue how things will go in Enbarr and doesn't know whether or not all of them will make it out alive. As much as she wants to believe that they will. Byleth cannot deny the facts that there is a good chance that they will die in vain.

The thought chills her to the core.

Could she live with herself if she knew her friends died for her belief that the three lords could unite together and overcome those who slither in the dark and the Church of Seiros?

Byleth knows the answer.

She will never be able to live with that kind of guilt.

Edelgard...

Please...

Byleth rubbed her face, they had also talked in great detail on how to go about handling Hubert since there was no doubt, they would have to kill him before they even reached Edelgard.

Like with all mages, they will use Silence on him to make him complicit. As far as they are aware Hubert has no other strengths except for his magic, so they will use that to their advantage.

They had also received magic resistant restraints from Constance. Byleth was mildly concerned why she had such a thing at her disposal readily but the grin on her face told Byleth it was best not to ask.

And then there was Edelgard.

Every fiber in Byleth's body believed that there really might not be a way to get her to join, but deep down in Byleth there was a part of her that believed that there was hope. If she could just reach Edelgard in time... And tell her.

Then maybe she will see reason.

Byleth sighed and stared up at the night sky. It was cloudy, the weather had been more frigid than it normally is... Almost like an omen of some sort.

Please Edelgard.

Grass crunched over heavy footsteps, Byleth turned her head in that direction to see the person interrupting her thoughts.

Dimitri.

He stood there staring a couple of feet away.

"What are you doing?" Byleth asked Dimitri as she stood up from where she had been sitting, dusting off grass that had found its way onto her clothing.

Dimitri stretched his arms, "Sleep evades me, so I thought I'd get in some extra training. I was just about to finish" he replied, then looked towards the ground. "Perhaps it is the gloomy weather, but I am feeling the sting of wounds that should have healed long ago..." he sighed.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "What wounds?" she asked.

Dimitri raised his head and met Byleth's gaze, "The injury I got when that girl stabbed me after the Battle at Gronder" he said. Right, she had forgotten about that entirely. Dimitri's gaze broke away, "Her eyes were filled with revenge... Just as mine once were" he sighed.

Byleth was silent for a moment, "Did you know who she was?" she asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "I don't know... But I have a guess" he said, then stood there quietly for a moment. "Ah, I suppose I haven't told you about that yet," he finally said.

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, "What are you talking about?" she questioned.

"I was attacked inside the monastery the other day. It caused quite the uproar" Dimitri said. For a brief moment it looked as if he were considering something, "The ones who attacked me... Were some of the youths we taught swordsmanship to, once upon a time" he sighed.

Byleth's eyes widened with shock. Here in the monastery? That seemed like such a stupid place to attack someone, and to attack the future King, nonetheless. "Are you ok?" she asked.

Dimitri nodded, "Of course. I could capture the lot of them with my eyes closed" he said "It seems they were raised by a group of thieves who were put down five years ago" he sighed then paused for a moment. "I was told that Lady Rhea took custody of them, claiming that the children were innocent" Dimitri said, "I have taken so many lives... And with each one, I faced hatred" he said softly then shook his head. "During the last five years especially. My life was not so much different from that of a wild beast..." Dimitri confessed, "And that young girl's brother... at some point, I must have..." he trailed off and sighed "That's why I thought it natural that someone would retaliate someday". A look of disgust fell upon his face, Byleth knew it wasn't directed towards her, but to himself. "Because I hated, because I stole, and... because I killed" Dimitri sighed and shook his head, he now looked... Sad. "But with those children, it's different... We raised our blades with the best of intentions, only to hurt them in the end" Dimitri said, "I suppose this is just another thing we will just have to live with" he sighed.

Byleth closed her eyes for a moment, it was hard to hear that someone that they had taught to yield their blade started doing it for the wrong reasons. But then again... Was raising it for a war any better? "It's part of the job" Byleth sighed, opening her eyes to meet Dimitri's gaze.

Dimitri nodded his head, "Yes..." he sighed "As one who chose to fight, it is my responsibility to confront this anguish and the true nature of war..." he said, pausing for a moment "Until the day my life comes to an end" he sighed.

"It is mine as well," Byleth said.

Dimitri nodded, "Perhaps..." he said staring down at her observing her face. "You know, Byleth... There is something that I recently realized" he said, leaning down closer to Byleth and grabbing her hand. "I never knew it could be so comforting to have someone standing by my side..." he said.

Byleth looked up at Dimitri, his eye was closed but he looked content "Dimitri..." Byleth said softly.

Dimitri sighed, "Your hands are so warm... Have they always been?" he asked.

Byleth stood there for a moment, "Dimitri" she said drawing his attention back.

His face was a light shade of pink, and he released Byleth's hand "My apologies" he said "I forgot myself for a moment" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Of, course" she said shifting around awkwardly for a moment. "Oh, you should be off to bed now" Byleth said, "It's late and we leave early tomorrow" she added and turned to her room door. "Good night Dimitri," Byleth said and opened her door.

Dimitri stood there for a second, "Good night Byleth" he replied, then Byleth entered the comfort of her room.

Dimitri:

The sun was beginning to rise at last, they had left from the monastery not too long ago and began their voyage for Enbarr.

They decided on a group of eleven of their most elite soldiers to lead the rest of their army into Enbarr. The others stayed behind, for obvious reasons...

The group consisted of Annette, Bernadetta, Byleth, Caspar, Claude, Dimitri, Felix, Hilda, Linhardt, Lysithea, and Sylvain.

Dedue had been apprehensive about not coming alongside with the main army forces, but Dimitri had insisted that he stayed behind in case of anything happened he wanted Dedue to survive and live for himself.

"You know Byleth, I really don't want to die" Linhardt called out to her.

Dimitri looked up to see how she would react, Byleth frowned at Linhardt but remained silent. "Don't say stuff like that Linhardt" Lysithea scolded, "It's not good for morale" she added and then pointed back to where the soldiers and battalions followed them from behind.

Linhardt sighed, "I'm just stating the facts" he replied.

"Still Linhardt" Bernadetta butted in "Lysithea has a point, it is bad for morale" she said.

"I don't know Bernadetta" Sylvain said "It's not like we should be telling them we are guaranteed to win either" he said.

"Tsk, don't be stupid" Felix said sternly "We don't need to tell them either of those things" he said "We just need to show them we will give it our all, and then they will do the same" he added.

Byleth squinted at Felix, "That is oddly wise of you to say" she said.

Sylvain chuckled, "Heh, Felix is getting soft" he said.

Felix frowned at the both of them, "Shut up" he said sternly.

Dimitri chuckled softly at his friends, despite the uncertain future that looms over their heads they manage to find a way to make it a less miserable experience.

"Alright all of you settle down" Claude said while shaking his head then looking at Byleth "I expected better from you" he added. Byleth merely shrugged.

"Oh, lighten up Claude" Hilda said "We still have a good long while before we even reach Enbarr" she added.

Dimitri thought about it and she was right. He guessed that it would take them four maybe five days of traveling till they reached Enbarr.

By the time nightfall came they were roughly between Varley and Bergliez territory.

"We should stop and set up camp" Claude called out.

Dimitri nodded his head in agreement, "That sounds like a good idea" he responded. It didn't take long for everyone to set up camp, he was certain many of them rushed due to their exhaustion from a long day of marching.

Food soon began to flow through the camp, and a fire was made. Dimitri's friends were gathered around, he watched as Felix sat closely to Bernadetta, his face flush as they conversed. Claude and Sylvain sat beside each other passing back and forth a flask.

Dear goddess Dimitri really hoped he wasn't going to have to be on Sylvain duty, to ensure his friend doesn't do anything stupid. 

Nearby them were Annette, Linhardt, and Lysithea. They looked to be deep in a conversation, most likely about magic. And Caspar and Hilda... Well Dimitri knew what they were doing despite the lack of their presence.

Byleth...

Dimitri looks around once again, perhaps he overlooked her? Although it doesn't really seem like a possibility.

Nope.

No Byleth.

Dimitri stands up and dusts off dirt from his armor, perhaps she just wanted some peace for the night and turned in early. Although, that doesn't seem like something she would do. Dimitri took one last glance at his companions, then went to go and search for her.

He scanned the outskirts of the camp, there was no sign of her. Dimitri suppresses his worry down and heads to where their tents were, not too far from his own tent is Byleth's. He is relieved when he sees the illumination of a candle from inside of her tent.

Dimitri walks to the entrance flap of Byleth's tent and pushes it to the side a little, "Byleth?" Dimitri calls out.

"Dimitri?" Byleth calls back to him in a confused tone.

"Is it alright if I enter?" he asks.

Byleth is silent for a moment, "Yeah... It's fine" she said softly. Dimitri hesitates for a moment then enters into Byleth's tent, she's sitting on her cot looking at maps of Enbarr with a candle a couple of feet away from her.

Dimitri stands a few feet away from her, to not impose himself into her personal space. "Checking our strategies?" Dimitri asked.

Byleth nodded, "Yeah, I want to make sure that this is the best possible method of attack" she said and paused for a moment "I was thinking that maybe splitting us both into two groups and attacking from the entrance in the south of Enbarr isn't the best idea" she said

Dimitri tilted his head in confusion, "Why not?" he asked.

Byleth looked to him, "Come look at the map" she said, and Dimitri complied, he sat down beside her trying to make out what she was talking about. "On the western side of Enbarr is most likely where they will be bringing in their reinforcements from," she added. "Perhaps we should have a unit of our forces there in the western side as well as from the south" Byleth suggested.

Dimitri was quiet for a moment, there was some merit to her suggestion. It would make it easier especially since they would be fighting a good number of soldiers, this way they could divide and conquer. "What if the reinforcement did end up coming from that end?" Dimitri asked "This way does seem more efficient, but there are also more risks to it" he sighed.

Byleth nodded her head, "I agree" she said "It was merely a thought" she added then sighed. "I just want us all to make it out of there," Byleth said softly.

Dimitri sat there for a second unsure of what to do, he studied Byleth for a moment then grabbed one of her hands and squeezed it softly, "I know" he said "As do I" he added. "Perhaps we should try to meet with Edelgard beforehand?" Dimitri suggested "If we can convince her, then maybe there is no need to continue with our attack on Enbarr" he added.

Byleth pulled her hand from Dimitri's and began fiddling with her fingers, "It's not that simple Dimitri" she said.

Dimitri frowned, "What do you mean by that?" she asked.

Byleth closed her eyes for a moment, "I've already spoken with Edelgard on this matter" she said "We will have to use force to get her to join us" she added.

"What?" Dimitri said, he must have said it harsher than he intended to because Byleth jumped a little. He paused for a moment to calm himself down, the last thing he wants to do is scare Byleth off. "When did you speak with Edelgard?" Dimitri asked.

Byleth hesitated for a moment, she was looking down at her hands "After Gronder" she finally said.

Then it struck Dimitri, she hadn't been with the army after the fight at Gronder when they retreated back to the monastery. And when they crossed paths at the stables... Byleth must have been arriving back from her conversation with Edelgard.

Dimitri frowned, "Why didn't you tell us sooner, we could have prepared different methods to ensure that we will be taking Edelgard back as a prisoner" he said sternly.

Byleth looked at Dimitri, her eyebrows were furrowed "Claude and I discussed this already Dimitri" she said "And we do have a plan to restrain Edelgard till we can ensure she won't be a threat" she added.

Dimitri looked away, "So, you told Claude already" he sighed while shaking his head "Why didn't you tell me?" he asked, trying to keep the hurt from overwhelming his tone.

Byleth let out a deep sigh, "Dimitri, I didn't think there was going to be a good time to tell you about this" she said "And obviously now wasn't a very good time to do it either" she sighed.

Dimitri frowned, but didn't respond to that. Of course, he wasn't going to take it well. What did she expect when she went around doing reckless things that Dimitri would just sit and not worry about her. How could someone so smart do such stupid things.

"Do you really think defeating Edelgard will make her compliant?" Dimitri asked finally.

Byleth was silent for a moment, "I- I don't know Dimitri" she said and hung her head.

Dimitri sighed; he had figured as much. "I know it may seem like a long shot, but I would still like to try to speak with Edelgard before Enbarr" Dimitri said "It will be up to her whether or not she comes and if she will listen" he said.

Byleth nodded, "That is reasonable" she sighed.

Dimitri sat beside her a while longer in awkward silence, "Byleth there has been something I have been meaning to ask you about Gronder field" he said.

Byleth looked to him with a confused expression, "About what?" she asked.

"You saved me there," Dimitri said, "You had to have known Edelgard was about to behead me when you stepped in," he added.

"Oh, that" Byleth said, her eyebrows furrowed slightly as she thought it over "What about it?" she asked.

Dimitri sat there for a moment, "Why did you do it?" he asked "I'm certain things would have been easier for you had Edelgard successfully killed me" he said.

Byleth looked away, "Sure there is truth to that" she said "But it also defeats the purpose of what I have been telling you since we reunited" she added.

Dimitri stared at Byleth, "I suppose you are right" he said "Thank you Byleth... Truly" he added softly. "And I want to apologize for all of the harm that I have caused you and the others" Dimitri began "I know, I do not deserve forgiveness but I hope coexisting with Edelgard is one step in the right direction" he added.

Byleth looked back to Dimitri, there was a faint smile on her face, "Dimitri..." she said softly.

"Hey there you are..." A voice shouted at the entrance of Byleth's tent.

Dimitri jumped away from Byleth's side like a child caught doing something naughty, he turned and looked to their intruder.

A semi drunk Sylvain.

"Oh!" Sylvain exclaimed with a goofy grin on his face, "I hope I wasn't interrupting anything" he said while shaking his head.

Byleth's face was a bright red, and Dimitri was certain his face was the same. "You weren't interrupting anything," Byleth said firmly.

Sylvain's grin remained plastered on his face, "Sure I wasn't" he hummed.

Dimitri frowned at Sylvain, "Sylvain..." he said in a warning tone.

Sylvain winked at him, "Don't worry Your Highness what happened in this tent stays in this tent" he slurred.

Dimitri stood up and grabbed Sylvain by the back of his armor, "Alright Sylvain I think it's time you retire to your own tent" he said and began guiding him out of Byleth's tent.

"Have a good night Byleth!" Sylvain shouted before Dimitri closed the flaps to her tent. Dimitri turned to his red headed friend and frowned at him deeply.

"Sylvain" Dimitri said sternly.

Sylvain merely chuckled at Dimitri, "Oh, Your Highness don't act so innocent" he said.

Dimitri sighed, Sylvain was too drunk to rationalize with at the moment. He made a mental note to make sure Claude and the others refrain from letting him drink for the rest of their trip. "Come on Sylvain" he said and began dragging him to his tent.

As the two of them passed through the tents Sylvain was insistent on hitting on any woman that he saw pass by them.

"Sylvain must you be so difficult," Dimitri hissed.

Sylvain laughed, "I'm only trying to live a little" he said "You should do the same" he hummed.

Dimitri frowned, "Enough Sylvain" he said.

"Oh, Your Highness don't be naive" Sylvain said "What's the deal, why do you act so weird with your feelings for Byleth now?" he asked.

Dimitri sighed, "It's complicated" he said "I have done horrible things to all of you, I cannot erase that damage with an apology" Dimitri said and paused for a moment. "Byleth deserves better," Dimitri concluded.

Sylvain stopped walking and looked at Dimitri, "So, if Byleth decides she wants to be with... Claude" he said "You will be ok with that?" he asked.

"If that is what she wants I will accept it" Dimitri said coolly.

Sylvain frowned at him, "Don't be stupid Your Highness" he said, but Dimitri cut him off.

"No Sylvain listen to me" Dimitri said, "I have barely got Byleth talking to me normally without running in the other direction, please don't interfere" he added.

Sylvain sighed, "Fine" he said "I think you are making a big mistake but fine" he sighed.

The two of them walked the rest of the way in silence to Sylvain's tent.

Sylvain opened the flap of his tent to enter, but he stopped for a moment "Your Highness" Sylvain said "Listen to me or don't" he began "But I think you should discuss this matter with Byleth, before giving her up to someone else entirely" he added then entered into his tent.

Dimitri stood there for a moment.

Sure, he could do that.

But it doesn't come without risks, like not being able to have a normal conversation with Byleth ever again.

Dimitri sighed; he is being selfish.

He walks back to his own tent in silence, thankful that the ghosts aren't using this opportunity to torment him. Once inside he plops down onto his cot and tries to sleep but Sylvain's words haunt his mind.

Dimitri knows it's best not to act on his impulses, but one day maybe once he has redeemed himself to her. Then maybe he could...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 92 15
Following the supposed death of Sephiroth, former First Class SOLDIER Cloud Strife traveled around Gaia searching for more work as a mercenary. Howev...
5.9K 429 65
In a continent plagued with inner conflict, unfortunate struggles, and an imbalance of power, Fódlan resides in a state of unsuspecting threat. Howev...
22.3K 427 25
A transfer student, Kendall Carvalho, enrolls in the Officers Academy at Garreg Mach. She didn't know what to expect on her first day, many surprises...
39.8K 1.6K 110
Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her beloved daughter Byleth. In a turn of event...