What You Caused

By -maiwrites

He was completely and utterly oblivious to everything that he had caused and she absolutely hated him for tha... More

Authors Note & TW (please read!!)
Character Aesthetics
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
Epilogue

11.

198K 5.1K 21.8K
By -maiwrites

Chapter 11 | Jealousy and
50s style diners

Isabella:

It had been a couple of weeks since the first day of school and the deadline for the big history project was nearing. I hadn't spoken to Lucas very much since that first day. He had been busy with football training and I had been busy with school work so it was fairly easy to avoid him. The only times I really talked to him was in History class and sometimes in homeroom but it wasn't very much as Ivy would always send daggers in my direction the moment I was even a mile radius around her boyfriend.

In all honestly the project had completely slipped my mind even after Mr Carters' constant reminders, so when Lucas texts me regarding the assignment I'm shocked to say the least.

Unsaved Number

Lucas: So when do you
want to start the project?

Me: Project?

Lucas: Bro did you
forget? The history one...

Me: Omg

Me: I completely
forgot about that.

Lucas: Of course
you did dumbass.

Lucas: You free this week?

Me: Yeah, does
Wednesday after
school work for you?

Lucas: Yep, I have a free
house we can work there.

Me: What time?

Lucas: How about 5?

Me: Okay see you then.

I knock on Lucas' door for the fourth time, struggling to keep hold of the number of books that are piled in my arms as I wait for Lucas to open the door.

I had gone straight to the town library after school to get the books and old news articles that we would need for the project.

I lift my fist to knock again, getting frustrated by this point but just as I am about to do so the front door flies open revealing non other than the devil herself.

"What are you doing here?" Ivy practically snarls at me. She's wearing one of Lucas' t-shirts and her hair is a complete mess. I'm about to answer her when a male voice calls out from inside and Lucas hurdles to the front door only a moment later.

"Isabella what are you doing here?" He asks, breathlessly as he stands behind Ivy, holding onto the top of the door. He is shirtless and a thin layer of sweat lines his abdomen. His hair is also disheveled and a pair of grey sweats hang low on his hips.

I grimace as I put two and two and realise what the pair were up to.

"I'm here for the project," I sigh, gesturing towards the pile of books in my hand and Lucas's eyes widen in shock and I blow out a fustrated breath.

"You forgot didn't you?" I ask, slightly annoyed and Lucas nods slowly, closing his eyes and wincing.

He flashes me an apologetic smile. "Look," he begins as I tap my foot impatiently. "Why don't you wait inside and I'll um quickly clean up then we can get started."

Ivy whines from beside Lucas and my gaze snaps back to her. "What about me?"

"Um, sorry babe, can we hang out another time? This project is important."

"Can't you cancel on her," She sends me a glare before turning back to her boyfriend and smiling sweetly, patting his stomach. "You'll have more fun with me."

I hold back a gag and grimace. "You know what it's fine, I'll just start doing the assignment by myself seeing as you're clearly very busy-" I pause and eye Ivy who looks down at me like I'm gum at the bottom of her shoe. "Doing her."

I saunter away before either of them can reply and go back to my own house. I place the books down on the front porch as I ruffle through my bag in attempts to find my key. When I can't find it I suddenly remember that I had left it on my bedside table this morning and groan aloud. Of course the day I leave my key at home is the day my mom is at work and my grandma and Sofia are out doing God knows what.

I go around the back to see if the backdoor to the garden is unlocked but alas, that is locked too. I walk back round to the front and chuck my backpack beside the books on the porch and sit back dramatically on the porch swing and whip out my phone. At least the wifi works out here so I plug my airpods into my ears and begin to catch up on the next couple of episodes of the newest show that I'm watching.

A couple of hours go by and I'm still sitting out here on the porch. It's much later and it's nearing sunset so I curl up on the chair and watch the sun go down as my slowed and reverb playlist blasts in my ear.

I had eaten lunch at school today so I'm not particularly hungry. I've been doing significantly better over the last couple of weeks and with the support of Mia and Grace, I'm able to eat more regular, frequent meals without hating myself after. I smile at the thought, feeling proud of myself and sigh contently, continuing to watch as the sun disappears over the horizon for the evening.

A golden shadow casts over our street and different shades of pinks, oranges and even purples submerge together in the sky, taking my breath away. Sunset is by far my most favourite time of the day and I continue to awe at the gorgeous view. My entire focus is directed at the beautiful display infront of me that I don't even notice the presence of someone standing beside me until they tap my shoulder.

I jump up in shock to see Lucas and pause my music and quirk an eyebrow as he begins to speak.

"I've been calling your name for ages," he tells me with a dimply smile and I frown.

"You have?"

He nods and leans against the wall. "Yeah but you were too busy staring at the sky you didn't notice."

"Oh." I tuck my phone into the back pocket of my jeans just as he cocks his head to the side.

"What are you doing out here?"

I sigh and sit back down on the porch chair, it rocks back and forth at the sudden pressure. "Nobody is home and I left my key inside."

"Oh okay." His gaze drifts off into the sunset in front of us and I watch as his mouth slightly parts open in awe of the view. He's changed clothes and is no longer wearing sweatpants nor is he sweaty. Instead he's wearing a grey hoodie and black sweat shorts and his hair is wet from what I presume is showering.

I clear my throat. "So where's your girlfriend?"

Lucas snaps his gaze back to me and begins to shuffle on the spot awkwardly.
"She went home about 10 minutes ago and when I was dropping her off to the car I saw you sitting out here in a daze."

"Oh."

He gestures towards his house. "So um so do you wanna come inside."

"Er, I don't think your girlfriend would appreciate that."

Lucas shakes his head and laughs looking a little flustered. "No, do you want to come inside so we start the history project." He points to the books on the porch as my mouth draws into an 'O' shape.

"Oh yeah, um, okay," I jump up from the chair and grab my backpack from the floor, swinging it around one shoulder just as both Lucas and I reach down to pick up the books. Our hands graze each other and I flinch away from the touch immediately. Lucas peers up at me from under his long eyelashes with his eyebrows furrowed before snatching the books from porch stairs and standing up straight, making his way to his house as I trail after him.

As we go inside I take notice of any changes that have taken place in the Miller's home since I haven't been inside since I've been back and I'm surprised to see that not much is different. There is new mirror hanging in the hallway and a couple of new vases dotted around the house but that's pretty much it from what I can see.

Lucas takes us to his kitchen and places the books on the island, pulling out a stool and gesturing for me to sit.

"So where do we start?"

***

"No you're doing it all wrong!" Lucas huffs as I drag the laptop away from him.

"It's the content that matters, no one cares about what type of transitions you use in between the slideshows!" I argue as Lucas narrows his eyes at me and angrily takes a sip of his Fanta.

He crosses his arms across his chest stubbornly causing his biceps to flex and if Lucas wasn't being so annoying I probably would've drooled over that motion. "Mr Carter said to put effort in so that's what I'm doing!"

I shake my head. "But we have so much to do and very little time left until the deadline and you're wasting it all by picking the animations!"

He glares at me. "You know what," he begins running a hand through his hair fustratedly. "We need a break, we've been doing this for like 2 hours straight."

I groan and slump my body down on the island. "There's no time for breaks, we started this too late!"

"I'm not taking no for an answer." He grabs the hoodie that was strewn across the other side of the island and pulls it over his head before grabbing his car keys and stuffing it in the pocket of his shorts. "C'mon lets go."

"Lucas no."

He hauls me up from the stool by my arm. "C'mon," he repeats, strolling out of the kitchen. "Where we're going will help with the project." He looks over his shoulder and sends me a look and I roll my eyes before trailing after him.

We walk across the driveway to where his car is parked and he pulls the passenger door open for me and I take a seat reluctantly. It's nearing 10 pm now and it's pitch dark outside, the only source of light being the dim cast of the moon and a street lamp down the road.

I had sent a message to my mom a couple of hours ago saying I was at Lucas' doing the assignment and Lucas had offered me a snack to fill my growing hunger but I had only eaten an apple so now, my stomach is growling and making noises that resemble whale calls.

As we drive through the town, the turns Lucas makes seem very familiar and before I know it we've parked outside Millie's and I perk up in my seat.

"Oh my god," I breathe, peering up at the red and white, 50's themed diner in front of me. "I missed this place!"

Growing up Millie's had been my all time favourite restaurant. I had celebrated every birthday at this place and even had a milkshake named after me. The diner was incredibly cute with white and black checkered floors and bright red booths in the shapes of retro cars. The waitresses wore poofy 50's style dresses with tiny white hats on their heads and rolled around on roller skates. 50s style songs constantly blared out of the large jukebox that belonged to the owner, Betty's, mother and everyone that worked there was super sweet. From what I remember the diner has been around since the 50s itself but got renovated back in the early 2000s. I had been meaning to visit but I haven't had the chance since I've been back.

I twist around in my seat to face Lucas who beams at me with a large grin on his face, his dimples popping out.

"You remember this place then?" He asks, nudging me with his elbow. "You used to beg to come here all the time."

I nod my head and smile to myself. This diner had been my favourite place in the entire town. Grace, Mia and I used to visit this place regularly with our mothers and my dad used to take me here on late night trips as a child. My heart squeezes at that memory of my father and I.

I hadn't spoken to him in ages and had only really face-timed him a handful of times since the move because he was always busy with work. I make a mental note to ring him later on in the week as I clamber out of the car.

As we head inside, the bell that rings at the front door and the oh-so-familiar backround music welcomes me like a warm hug. My eyes scour the inside of the diner and I'm not surprised to see that it looks exactly the same as it did 6 years ago. There aren't many people here tonight as most of the booths are empty, excluding a handful of couples and a couple of teens eating here and there.

Lucas strolls up to the counter, me hot on his trail, as he calls out to Betty who is preoccupied wiping down the counter. She snaps her gaze to Lucas and a large smile crawls its way onto her lips and I take the dear old woman in.

Betty Browne was by far one of the sweetest old ladies I have ever met. She always wore a wholesome smile on her face and welcomed everyone with warm bear hugs. She hasn't changed much from the last time I had seen her, minus a couple more wrinkles on her face and for a woman aged almost 60, she looks amazing.

"Hiya handsome," Betty beams at Lucas as she walks over to us from around the counter. She spots me behind him and her grin widens as I wave at her. "Who's the beauty," she asks, gesturing to me.

My mouth gapes open and I clutch at my chest in mock hurt. "Betty you don't remember me?" I gasp as the dear old lady shoves her glasses onto her nose from where it's perched around her neck.

She pauses for a moment taking me in but soon after let's out a squeal as realisation hits her. "Isabella is that you!"

I nod, mirroring her wide smile and she pulls me into her embrace, squeezing me tight. She sways us both side to side as I laugh. "I've missed you so much dear!" She says after pulling away and holding me at arms length, raking her eyes up and down my body. "My you've grown up to be so beautiful!"

Before I can reply she turns to Lucas. "Isn't she just the prettiest."

His eyes widen from being put on the spot and a blush tinges his cheeks as he shuffles around awkwardly. "Yeah, she's uh, very pretty," he says quietly, scratching the back of his neck.

"I mean you were always so adorable," Betty continues, turning back to me. "But you are absolutely gorgeous now love."

"Aww," I giggle, flashing her a cheeky grin. "You just know how to boost my ego don't you."

She laughs merrily and bops my nose before turning around and walking back to the counter. "Why don't you take a seat," she tells us. "I'll bring you guys two 'Bella's delight' milkshakes right away."

Before we can peep another word she scurries away into the kitchen to put in our order.

Lucas walks us further into the diner and we spot a booth at the back that is empty.

However, as we continue to stroll towards the booth, Lucas suddenly stops short and I bump into his back.

"Ouch," I say, rubbing my forehead. "What.." I begin but trail off when I see where Lucas's gaze is drawn too.

In one of the smaller booths I spot Ivy, sitting awfully close, in between two boys that I recognize go to our school and another girl sitting opposite her who's inched against the wall and looks like she'd rather be at home.

Lucas storms over to their booth and I briskly follow him, watching how he approaches the table with clenched fists.

"Ivy," he begins sternly and her head snaps up to see her boyfriend staring down at her with venom in his eyes. She doesn't look surprised in the slightest to see Lucas.

"Oh hey babe," she says nonchalantly, taking a sip of her milkshake, either totally oblivious to Lucas' murderous gaze or just merely ignoring it.

"I thought you were at Luna's house," he practically seethes, his voice low and grim.

Ivy shrugs and gestures towards the girl who sits cowering on the other side of the booth. "Luna and I wanted to get milkshakes."

Lucas nods curtly. "Okay so what are these two doing here." He points to the two boys sitting on either side of his girlfriend and practically bores holes into their heads.

"Hey man, your girlfriend can hang out with us if she wants," one of the boys smirks, not caring at all in the slightest of Lucas' angry self.

"Shut up Trent I'm not talking to you," Lucas snarls, his jaw ticking.

The other boy begins to speak but is interrupted by Ivy who's gaze finally lands on me, standing a couple of feet away from their table.

"What is she doing here?"

Lucas looks over his shoulder as if just remembering that I came with him.

"We're doing the history project," he replies smoothly and Ivy scoffs.

"In a diner sure," she rolls his eyes. "You're so hypocritical you know that? Why do you get to hang out with another girl but it's an issue when I hang out with other boys?"

Lucas stills at her statement and he doesn't say anything for a moment. I see the irritation and jealousy flaring in his eyes.

"Okay fine," he finally spits turning away. "You can hang out with them if you want."

"I didn't need your permission anyways," Ivy snorts as Lucas sends one final glare at the two boys.

He places his both his palms flat on the table and leans down so he's face to face with Trent. "If any of you boys even lay a fucking finger on Ivy, I will break both of your noses." And with that Lucas stands up straight and begins walking back in my direction where I am standing, frankly in awe.

I trail after Lucas like a lost puppy as he takes a seat at a booth adjacent to Ivy's table, his jaw clenched and his adam's apple bobbing up and down aggresively.

We sit in complete silence until Betty appears a few minuets later with our milkshakes.

"Here you go loves, it's on the house!"

"No Betty-" I begin to argue but she sends me a pointed look that says there is no point in arguing with her so I shutup.

I'm suddenly remembered of why Lucas brought us to this place and I briskly call her back to our table...also because I don't want to be alone with angry Lucas.

"Betty this place has been here since the 50's right?"

She nods and slides into the seat next to me. "Is there like any important history stuff that's happened in this place because we need information for this assigment for school," I ask and Betty bobs her head excitedly.

"Yes, quite a lot has actually taken place in this very diner," she begins as I whip out some spare paper and a pen from my school bag that I had dragged a long with us and begin jotting down what Betty tells me.

A couple of minuets later, she's still rambling on about some events that have taken place in this resturant over the last 6 decades when Lucas clears his throat.

"Excuse me ladies but I have to take care of something." He slides out of the booth before either one of us can reply and Betty continues on with her story but only a moment later a loud yell gains our attention and we snap our heads to the direction in which it's coming from

My eyes widen as I see Trent pushed up against the wall by Lucas, who has a dealthy grip on his shirt collar. Betty and I briskly get up and run over to them just as Ivy screams at them to stop.

"What did I say about fucking touching her?" Lucas seethes, his voice dripping with venom. Trent merely smirks which only riles up Lucas more and before any of us can even blink, Lucas has rammed his fist into the side of Trent's face.

"Luke stop!" Ivy pleads angrily, yanking her boyfriend by the back of his hoodie as Trent cries out in agony. "What the fuck is wrong with you!"

Lucas continues to hold Trent up against the wall for a beat before finally dropping the him on his ass and Trent curses in pain.

My gaze drops to Lucas' knuckles that have split open at the intensity he had punched Trent with, then to his face that is scrunched up with absolute rage.

I watch his jaw ticking and the vein in his forehead looking like it's about to burst as Ivy hauls him away, both anger and annoyance lacing her features.

"Give me your fucking car keys," she yells at him, shoving her hand in the pocket of his hoodie and fishing it out. "We're fucking leaving say bye to your fucking side hoe."

She gives me a dirty look before turning to Trent on the ground. "You can pay for my milkshake." And with that she storms out of the restaurant, dragging Lucas away like a little kid.

The entire diner falls silent, the only sound being the echo of the bell ringing as the two leave. Betty turns to me blinking slowly, the poor woman looking absolutely traumatized.

I take a seat back in the booth, feeling both stunned by the events that had just happened and kind of sick to my stomach. Damn, when did Lucas get so violent?

I push away the milkshake that I've barely drunken, suddenly feeling like throwing up at the excessive amount of toppings the milkshake has and the sickening amount of sugar it contains.

I look at my phone and see that it's almost 10:30 and curse aloud as realization hits me that my ride has left.

"Do you want me to order you an taxi?" Betty asks me as if she's read my mind and I look up to see her with concern flaring in her eyes.

I nod meekly. "Yes please."

As Betty goes to the back to make the call, Ivy's friend sidles up next to me. She looks nervous to approach me so I smile kindly at her.

"Do you, uh, mind if I share the taxi with you?" She asks shyly. "Ivy and I came with those boys and I kinda feel uncomfortable being alone with them."

I nod my head. "Yeah sure, I don't really want to be in a cab by myself either."

"Thank you." She smiles gratefully at me and takes a seat opposite me at the booth. "You're new to our school right?"

I nod my head. "Yep, I'm Isabella, what's your name?"

"Luna," she replies, timidly and I eye her as she fiddles with the buttons on her jacket.

Luna is absolutely gorgeous. With gorgeous curly hair, dark skin and big brown eyes, I'm stunned by her beauty.

"I like your name, it's so cute," I compliment and she giggles softly.

"Thanks I like yours too, you're really pretty!"

"So are you! I love your hair!"

We compliment each other back and forth until Betty strolls back to our table, a phone wedged between her shoulder and her ear. "Your taxi is here hun."

"Okay, thank you Betty," I get up and drop a couple of dollars onto the table even though Betty had told me it was on the house...I just felt bad for wasting the milkshake.

I give her a quick hug goodbye before she notices that I've payed for the shake and briskly leave the diner, Luna trailing beside me.

I find the taxi outside and get into the back seat before giving the driver my address, just as Luna does the same.

We sit in comfortable silence as we pull out of Millie's parking lot. I can tell that Luna is a very shy person and not much of a talker so the drive back home is quiet, but not awkward.

As we pull up to my house, I quickly pay the driver the taxi fare, thank him and bid goodbye to Luna and stroll up the porch steps.

My mother unlocks the door with a cup of tea in her hand. "Hi mija how was your day? How's the assignment going?"

I raise my eyebrows, recalling today's events and Lucas' fight at the diner. "...It's going well," I tell her as she smiles in reply and heads back into the living room where she was watching TV.

I pull off my shoes before strolling up the stairs and heading into my room.

As I'm running a hand through my hair and am about to tug off my jeans, I stop short at the view through of my window.

Lucas and Ivy making out in the middle of Lucas' bedroom and I immediately pull a face at the sight.

Seriously does he not know how to close his curtains?

I grimace and quickly tug my drapes closed before they begin to escalate and I see something I don't want to see, unnecessary jealousy bubbling at the pit of my stomach...which I try to shake off.

I got to the bathroom and get changed into my pjs before padding back to my room and jumping face first onto my bed, suddenly feeling overwhelmed with tiredness.

As I get cozied under the covers and begin to doze off, I don't know if it's my mild daddy issues acting up, but the final thought I have before I fall into a deep slumber is how I wish I had been the one Lucas had been standing up for back in the diner.

AUTHORS NOTE:

Hiii! Omg guys so I had to make Lucas a little toxic to spice up his character a bit because um what wattpad boy out there doesn't have a bit of toxicity in him ;).

Anyways thank you for reading! Love you all so much - Mai x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 3.6K 40
"Bitch" "Slut" "Fuckboy" "Asshole" "Stop fighting you two, like fuck I think I'm getting a headache cause of your bullshit" I looked at Taylor an...
39.2K 1.3K 33
"๐–๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ, ๐ˆ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ค ๐ˆ ๐œ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐š๐ฌ๐ค ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ฑ๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ฌ๐š๐ฆ๐ž ๐ช๐ฎ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง, ๐š๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐š๐ฉ๐š๐ซ๐ญ...
4K 681 58
An internal voice told me to "call him," but I chose not to. I dismissed it once more, saying, "He never liked me anyway." I am stuck in my dilemma...
230K 4.5K 47
"I love you" she says and kisses my jaw tenderly. "I love you too baby" I reply stroking her still damp hair. We were sat in a dirty McDonald's car p...