π’π€π•πˆπŽπ‘ | Mj urban story

By sellibeau

{2021 MJFA's Best Urban winner} Michael Jackson, street thug, makes contact with a young girl around his age... More

Cast-welcome
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39

CHAPTER 4

1.3K 65 556
By sellibeau

A/n: I'm tryna update most of my stories soon cuz since school starts...watch me go MIA

but most of these have been in my drafts💀 im just now publishing it🤡chile..

____________

🎶Close your eyes, don't shed no tears
Keep it dark, close the shades 🎶

Omniscient—

June 12-2016

The day was hot. The blazing sun was out. Naija was 16, licking popsicles on the porch along with her cousins.

They were never too fond of her and treated her like an unwanted baby sister but she still always made an effort to fit in with them and hang out, and most of the time they'd let her.

They were starting to get suspicious as time only flew by. The sun was scorching and they were tired of being outside but they would not go back inside until Naija's auntie and uncle (her cousins' parents) came back.

"Wass takin' 'em so long?" Marshall asked, kissing his teeth as he stood to his feet. Mariah tugged at his shorts. "Aye wait, don't go back inside. They'a turn up soon."

"Iss hot!" Ryleigh complained as Naija sat beside her feeling just the same but didn't mind the unlimited popsicles.

"Y'all got no patience." Tyson, the fourth sibling, said, tapping his foot against the white wooden porch, taking an icecream sandwhich from the box.

Naija, being quiet as usual, observed as always. She too was curious as to what was keeping her aunt and uncle but dared not to put her input on it or they'd snap at her or something.

Mariah rolled her eyes and stood up along with Marshall. "Ight fine. Let's-" she paused once they heard ambulances, police sirens, and screaming out in the distance. It was a couple blocks away but they could hear it loud and clear.

"What that is?" Tyson questioned, standing up to see and Marshall, being the oldest, motioned for them to stay back. As soon as he saw some people he recognized running to the scene, he suddenly took off running to see too.

"Aye! Marshall wait up!" Mariah hollered out, dropping her things and ran after him.

Tyson soon followed and Ryleigh looked around anxiously, glancing at Naija who looked just as concerned as she did. "Come on." She said, running after the rest and Naija stood to her feet, dropping her beloved popsicle in the grass.

"Marshall wait up-" Mariah nearly bumped into him as he had stopped running and stood still, speechless.

They were on the next block, people were surrounding the area and police yelled for people to move back.

"Oh my.." Ryleigh covered her mouth and stepped back, almost bumping into Naija who stood behind everyone.

There laid her aunt and uncle, toppled over each other in a pool of blood. They had gunshot wounds to the head and to the thighs—dead.

Stretchers and ambulances surrounded the area. "Move back!" Police ordered. "Those my parents!" Marshall raised his voice, pushing past the crowd.

Mariah and Ryleigh were in tears and all Tyson could do was stare into a daze. He was in shock.

Naija instantly began to feel sick as the blood seeping from their bodies ran down the sidewalk and she stepped away, throwing up into the grass.

The group of teenagers were now left alone—feeling the wrath of the streets.

    Naija woke up from her sleep, breathing heavily. She had her hand to her chest as she looked around the dimmed room.

It's now her fourth day staying at Michael's place and every now and then wakes up at random times due to unwanted dreams and memories. He had sacrificed himself to take the couch for a while and soon it got annoying, mainly because it isn't as comfortable as a bed.

She eased off of the bed as it was just 9am. She heard Bear barking from the kitchen which probably meant Michael was also awake.

She stopped to brush her teeth before continuing on to the kitchen and she paused behind the wall like she always did. He was filling Bear's bowls up with food and water while fussing as always

"Bear you can't be jumpin' on me 'n shit when I'm sleepin'. You really think you grown wit' that shit. I may be sleepin' on da couch right now but you needa chill yo ass out." He muttered.

Naija cleared her throat, making him turn around and look at her for a second. "Figured you'd wake up right about now." He uttered under his breath.

The topic of figuring out what to do with her never came up for a couple days, so she was still here and dwelling. "Watchu wanna eat, jit?" He asked, opening his pantry which pretty much just had more snacks than food.

She rubbed her hand on her forearm and shrugged lightly. "W-whatever you have."

Although it's been about 5 days knowing him, she was still shy and cautious around him. He cocked a brow and turned to face her again. "So you want either some stale strawberry poptarts or some bagels without no cream cheese 'n shit?" He asked

Her silence made him laugh lightly and nod his head. "Thass what I thought. Make yo own decisions, ma. I needa go shoppin' anyways." He shook his head.

She kept her thick legs crossed, leaning against the fridge. "And you need more clothes. ASAP." He added

She had been wearing his oversized shirts a lot now. Before, it was just his plain ones but now she searched through his actual closet and brought out his graphic ones with words or designs on them.

"Goin' through my stuff 'n shit. I'a be damned." He scoffed and she bit her lip. "I'm sor-"

"You gon' make me mad wit' all that apolgizin'." He warned her, making her close her mouth ultimately. "I'm goin' out today and I ain't gon' be callin' B ta come every time you alone. You eitha suck it up or bounce out my crib. Choose." He shrugged.

She definitely didn't want to be left at his house by herself, knowing he probably has a lot of heat and relations to dangerous people. But she also didn't want him to kick her out, as she'd have nowhere to go unless she had more money.

She looked up at him slowly, fiddling with her fingers. "Then...can I come with you?" She asked.

She merely stuttered anymore but was still timid in her way of speaking.

That completely caught him off guard and he paused as it got quiet. Just the sound of Bear licking his water. He slowly turned around to look at her and his brow was raised. It was almost the most intimidating look he's ever given her.

"Come wit' me?" He questioned as she nodded. He looked to his sides before scoffing. "I know you ain't askin' me that."

She finally spoke up. "Just so I won't be alone...please?" She nearly begged him.

There was a glint in her eye that he's never seen before although she always had some type of look on her eye. He fixed his lips to make up an excuse as to why she couldn't come.

"Nah. It's dangerous, ma. What I look like bringin' you along?" He scoffed again. "Got me fucked up."

"You're lyin'." She suddenly said and he paused again as Bear looked up and locked eyes at the both of them. She had gotten closer to him but not directly in front of him.

He crossed his arms, gliding his tongue through his front teeth with his mouth remaining closed and he stared at her with his eyes narrowed. She gulped.

"I'm lyin'?" He asked. His voice was lower and more gritty which made an unfamiliar feeling in her stomach come to life.

"Mmh." She hummed.

"An' how you know that?" He inquired.

She stared at the floor so she wouldn't have to look him in the eye where he gazed into her soul. She swallowed again and proceeded to rub her hand on her forearm. "W-well you looked to your sides a few times, and you couldn't keep eye contact with me. Thass how I-I know y-you're lyin'." She muttered.

She expected him to get angry at her know-it-all attitude but he suddenly smirked. "Gettin' real bold, jit." He simply said, but didn't deny it.

He exhaled through his nose and turned back around, opening the fridge. "Ight, I ain't doin' no dangerous shit today but I still'n think you should be taggin' along wit' me, ma. I'm unpredictable. Last thing I'd want is to be responsible for you gettin' hurt."

He said no more as it just got quiet again and she felt defeated. She was internally terrified of being alone in such a dangerous neighborhood. Living with her cousins, they never paid any mind to her but she was always in at least one of their presence. Loneliness is her biggest fear—although she's felt it her whole life.

Her face saddened again and he looked back at her, wondering why she was suddenly so quiet again and sighed deeply. "Don't be givin' me that face again. Ain't gon' work dis time." He scolded her.

She really didn't care for what he was going to go out doing. She simply didn't want to be alone. She wouldn't even have a problem maybe getting dropped off at King's to be with Bianca.

Seeing that she'd probably keep this same saddened attitude all day, he unwillingly gave in. "Ight," he rolled his eyes. "fine. Get dressed 'n shit. Be ready by 9:30."

He nearly heard her squeal as she walked out and hopped straight into the shower. Afterwards, she came right back into the kitchen, wearing her own clothing. He noticed that her style is quite simple.

She always wore hoodies or sweatshirts and it was appropriate for the fall/winter weather but he wonders what she'd do when spring and summer falls.

He was dressed as well but nothing out of the ordinary. He stuck to his usual style as well as she did.

"Ight, come on jit." He said as Bear followed them to the door. She was still a little scared of Bear but she was learning to get used to him.

He opened the door for her and she walked out the house, timidly and cautiously. Her hoodie reached over her hands so she was nice and warm.

He walked her to the car and she got into the passenger's seat. It was not long before he was speeding down the roads.

For some reason, she loved car rides. She took pleasure in looking around just to see the trees and birds pass by in a blur. It was relaxing for her and different. Her and her cousins did not have a car and traveled on foot all the time. She also couldn't go out with them as much as they'd exclude her from street activities.

He drove casually and peered over at her before raising the volume to the radio, playing Ric Flair Drip by Offset and Metro Boomin loudly.

He caught her in a daze. "Why you look so mesmerized?" He scoffed and reached over, turning up the heat. "Iss jus' a car ride."

She turned her head and looked at him and lightly shrugged. "I really wanted to get out the house." She started. "And I ain't used to goin' out much. I like explorin'." She smiled lightly

He never noticed it, but when her lips curved into just the smallest smile, there was a dimple on her left cheek but it wasn't too deep. He noticed new things about her each day.

"Hm," he hummed nodding his head. "Yo cousins never let you do shit huh?" He asked and she nodded her head. "Nope." She popped the P.

"That explains why you so guarded." He muttered, "the door bell could ring and you gon' jump up 'n hide in the corner."

She tried to deny it but it was true so she stayed silent.

His phone started to buzz loudly against the cup holder, making her jump and he glanced at her and shook his head. "Jumpy ass." He muttered and answered the phone as she listened in on the conversation.

"Bout damn time you picked up my damn call, King. You sent me the right address right?" He questioned and she noticed by his facial expression that he didn't hear what he wanted to hear

"You think? Nigga make sure iss the right one before I pull up into a random ass location. Lucky I'm doin' this fo you. 'N if iss the wrong one best believe I'a save some bullets in my gun jus' fo you. You gon' be dead." He threatened and hung up the phone.

It was nothing personal. Him and King always talked to each other this way.

She bit her lip and cowered in her seat at his violent words and he noticed her squeamishness. "Shit, you must be hungry or somthin', right?" He asked

That wasn't why she was squeamish but she went with it.

"Mmh," she hummed. "B-but I could eat later."

"Nah there's food places on the way. You could eat until I'm done." He said and exhaled, stopping at a red light. "Watchu want, jit? And speak up."

She fiddled with her fingers and glanced out the window and suddenly smiled very small. "McDonald's?" She asked and he cocked a brow at her.

"You want that shit again?" He asked and she nodded. "I'on know how you could eat that twice in the same week. If I tried that, I'd be in the bathroom all damn day, shit." He muttered, pushing his foot onto the gas again.

She liked her meal the other day when Bianca and the rest came and it made her excited to try new things—or things she hasn't had in years.

"Whatchu usually used to eatin'?" He asked and she shrugged. "Canned food or food in the microwave. Jus' food t-that don't take long to make."

"I'mma need a hearin' aid listenin' to you." He muttered, pulling into McDonald's. The line thankfully wasn't long and he was next instantly.

"Whachu want?" He asked looking over at her, licking his lips briefly. Her eyes scanned the menu over and over but she couldn't stick to one thing so he turned around and ordered for her.

"Gimme the Big Breakfast wit' Hotcakes." He said and drove up to the next window, peering over at her. "Next time we at a drive thru, you mind usin' ya voice to tell me yo order quickly? There's a line behind us, jit." He scolded her and she sunk down into her seat

"Sorry." She said quietly but he heard it anyway and rolled his eyes.

He got the food for her and handed it to her, driving off. She looked up and furrowed her brows. "You'n want breakfast?" She asked, wondering why he didn't get any for himself and he scoffed.

"I know you ain't gon' finish all that." He shook his head. "I'a take some of yo food later, and I ain't askin' fo permission." He said and she nodded.

Finally, as she was eating, he pulled into the address King sent him and there were a bunch of men, with guns and weed, hanging out in the garage.

"Stay here." He told her, looking her in the eye as her cheeks were stuffed with pancakes. "This ain't somewhere you should be, so don't get out this damn car ight? 'N don't make a mess or..." he paused and laughed dryly. "Don't make me finish." He said and slammed the car door shut before walking up to the men.

"King sent me." He simply said, crossing his arms, standing on their patio as they stared back at him. "Why ain't King here himself?" They asked

Michael rolled his eyes. "He sent me nigga. He couldn't make it. I ain't here for small talk. You got the bag or nah?"

Naija watched from the car as he negotiated and she couldn't exactly hear what was being said, but just looking and observing, she could guess.

She saw once they gave Michael the "bag" he looked inside and his expression changed.

"The fuck is this? This ain't everything." He said and they exchanged looks and shrugged.

"Over here shruggin' ya shoulders 'n shit. I'm dead ass. This ain't everything." He began to get angry as they rolled their eyes.

One of them looked up at the sky as he spoke. "We'n got everything, man. Thass all we got for now. Now bounce. We'a contact King when we got everything."

Michael stared at him for about 10 seconds before laughing dryly, licking his lips. "Y'all must think this a joke." He simply said. "Ight. Lemme let King handle y'all. He'n like waitin'." He nodded cynically and started walking to the car as Naija watched him.

He got back in and was about to back out but her voice stopped him. "He's lyin'." She said.

He paused and furrowed his brows. "Huh?"

"He looked up before he told you whatever the deal was. Usually when people look up or to the sides, it gives 'em time to think of a lie." She muttered.

He stared at her as she spoke. He had no idea how she knew what was up even though she didn't hear the conversation but he asked no further questions. She saw him whip out his gun, muttering things before he exited the car.

"Y'all think you slick?" His voice raised as he approached them again, and they stood up once they saw the gun in his hands. "You think you fuckin' slick?"

"What the fuck you buggin' fo? We gave you-"

"You was lyin' nigga." He cut him off and grabbed him by the collar. "You got 5 seconds to tell me the real deal or you dead."

The guy snatched himself from Michael's grip and snarled. "You real bold." He nodded his head. "You wanna scrap, less scrap. But imma tell you now, i'on got the rest of King's shit. Prolly never will."

Michael scoffed. "I'on fight, nigga. I shoot."

Naija, again, couldn't hear what was happening but she knew things were heating up. "What did I do..." she hissed, seeing that what she told Michael caused this entire altercation.

The rest of the men had went inside once they saw the gun, since they didn't have their own.

"4 seconds, bitch."

4 seconds went by and Michael laughed bitterly, pressing the trigger and the bullet went off, into the guy's leg. He screamed out an ear piercing scream and dropped to the ground, writhing in pain as he began to bleed extensively.

Michael stood there watching him as Naija had covered her eyes and sunk low in her seat again.

""Ain't doin' nothin' dangerous", my ass." She thought

The guy had managed to lift himself up to his knees, gripping Michael's clothing with his bloody hands as the rest started to come outside again upon hearing gunshots.

"Fuck off me." Michael kissed his teeth and kicked him back, beginning to walk back to the car.

Naija was quiet as he got back in, but the minute she looked down at the bloody hand prints on his clothing, she began to gag and his eyes snapped to her, looking at her like she was crazy before it registered-

She looked around frantically. "Shit.." he cursed. "Is you bouta-" he paused and thought fast. "I swear if you throw up in my car-" he cut himself off and unlocked the car again, pointing to the door. "Open the door. Do yo business."

She opened the car door and partially stepped out, throwing up all of her breakfast onto their patio and they kissed their teeth as she entered the car again.

"Aye! What the fuck?" They heard the men's voices in the distance as Michael began to pull out and slowly drive off. "You straight?" He asked as she sat solemnly in her seat staring ahead in complete embarrassment.

She nodded without making eye contact. "Can I have water, please?" And she said it nice and quick, as he laughed lightly and shook his head, stopping by at McDonald's again, which was close, ordering a water.

As soon as he handed it to her, she gulped it down and felt a lot better. He dug into his pocket as he parked in a store parking lot. "Here." He said, handing her some gum and she smiled lightly. "Thank you."

"Now what the fuck was that? You sick?" He asked and she shook her head as her eyes stayed low. "N-no." She mumbled and she glanced at him, but quickly looked back at the window, feeling sick all over again.

He noticed and looked around the car. "The fuck? Why you feelin' all sick again? You need some air? Car sick?"

She swallowed another gulp of water before finally speaking again as her neck was nearly stretched towards the window. "I have hemophobia." She muttered and he made a dumb face in return

"Now you know damn well I ain't wit' all that biology medical type shit. What is that?"

"I have a fear of blood." She muttered. "If I even look at it, it either freaks me out or I feel sick."

He looked down at the long sleeve white shirt he's wearing that had the bloody hand print and cursed again. "Damn. My bad, ma." He said and suddenly lifted his arms to remove it. "You shoulda let me know."

"Sor-"

"Shut up wit' that."

She zipped her lips and shut her eyes closed until he threw the shirt into the back of the car. "Ight, it's off. You'n gotta worry bout no blood no more." He assured her and she slowly looked back over at him, seeing that he's now just in his usual wife-beater again.

Her face reddened and she looked back away. "What? There still blood?" He asked and she shook her head. "No. I'm fine." She squeaked.

He cocked a brow and shook his head. "You weird as fuck." He said and turned off the car looking in his rear view mirror as she knitted her brows. "W-where are we?"

"Look around jit. Don't ask stupid questions." He said. She turned her head and looked around, seeing they were at Walmart. She'd been there many times but not in a while.

"Stay here while I get some groceries, ight? Nothin' gon' happen ta you in da car." He assured her and she nodded slowly.

He left and he was right. She was fine and protected in the car. She bit her lip and looked around, getting nosy. He was very determined to make sure she felt safe, and she liked that.

He turned the car off and took the keys, so she was unable to listen to the radio. But she pulled out her phone and put on All night long by Beyoncé, one of her favorite artists and songs. She hummed softly to it in the meantime.

He came back with bags of groceries. It amazed her that he wore a wife beater in 40 degree weather without being cold. He popped open the trunk and put the groceries there before coming back into the car with a sigh. "Ight, one more stop." He muttered. "My Maw's."

She asked no questions as to exactly who that was and just sat back in her seat. Her eyes scanned him again, observing. He always held a hard expression. His tattoos were symbolic to the lack of her knowledge.

She glanced at the gun in his pocket and became curious. "H-have you been to jail?" She asked. He looked at her as he cruised down the streets and laughed but of no amusement. "Why? 'Cause of the shit I be doin'?" He asked and she didn't make an effort to answer as he just shook his head, smirking.

"Yeah, been there." He shrugged. "'N my ass won't be there no longer 'cause my Maw threatened to put me in Beyond Scared Straight if I continue raisin' her blood pressure."

She laughed a bit, which was the first time he'd heard her laugh. She was always so withdrawn and quiet, that he didn't even know she could smile genuinely or laugh.

The rest of the car ride was quiet as they arrived to Maw's small cozy house at the end of the street in a safer neighborhood than where his house is.

"Come on, I'a be quick." He said, holding some of the grocery bags he bought from the store. "Some a this shit I stole. I ain't payin' no $20 each for some groceries ." She heard him mutter as she followed him to her front door.

Maw opened the door and smiled. She always smiled when Michael visited and she didn't even notice Naija standing behind him with her hands to her front, head low. "Michael," she pulled him into a hug. "Whatchu doin' here?" She asked

"The reason I always come here." He replied and walked inside as Naija followed further. "Brought you some groceries."

Maw laughed to herself, shaking her head. "Boy I could go get that myself. I need the exercise. You spoilin' me."

"An' i'mma continue to spoil you." He scoffed. Naija looked around the cozy house. She glanced at a few picture frames and saw one of Michael when he was about 8 with Maw. He had a basketball jersey on and held the ball under his arm with Maw standing beside him with her hand on her shoulder.

She saw another one of him and she recognized the second boy in the picture was King. He looked almost the same at age 13 than of now.

"And who's this young lady?" Maw asked, snapping Naija out of her thoughts and her eyes fixated on Maw's soft ones.

Michael stepped aside to reveal Naija who was previously just standing behind him. "Speak up, ma." He coached her lightly and she cleared her throat.

"The name's Naija Roselyn Lenox, ma'am." She said. "Nice to meet you." She added, eyes traveling to the floor.

Michael had never learned her last or middle name, so this was a first.

Maw's brows raised. "Well nice to meet you too, sweet pea." She smiled warmly. "She's real respectful huh?" She asked and Michael laughed lightly again

"Shy's the better word. She real timid."

Maw tsked. "Hm. She's betta than them other girls you be bringin'. Actin' like they ain't got no home trainin'." She muttered

Michael's brows furrowed. "You said what?"

"Ain't she your girlfriend or somethin'?" She asked

Naija's face reddened as soon as the words left her mouth and her eyes widened as she just stood as still as a statue again.

Michael glanced at her and kissed his teeth. "Nah, Maw. She ain't my girl." He shook his head. "Iss a long story. She was out there wit' nowhere to go. I'on know if she ready to be out there alone 'cause she be gettin' herself in bad situations, so she'a prolly stay wit' me for a lil while longer."

Maw raised her brows up in fascination again. "Look at you, treatin' ladies right. Where are ya parents, sweet pea?" She asked and Naija looked back at her, snapping out of her daze-

"Oh u-um I don't got none." She solemnly said. "I-I'm on my own."

Maw looked at her sympathetically just as how Bianca did. "Well you safe here now, child." She smiled, making Naija smile back.

"I'mma put these away fo you an' I'a be on my way." Michael said, grabbing back the bag of groceries, taking it to her kitchen to put them away. Naija followed right behind him.

As he put away some of her groceries, she proceeded to look around. This was the "Maw" he's mentioned a few times. She'd been curious to see who it was.

The kitchen was small as well as the rest of the house and nicely lit. She stood in the distance and crossed her arms, watching as he opened cabinets to put things away. "Do you need help?" She asked and he turned around, forgetting she even followed him.

"I could use it." He shrugged and picked up two cans of tomatoes, walked up to her fairly close, and gazed her in the eye before placing them in her palms.

She is not good with eye contact but she managed to return the intense eye gaze he gave her before she quickly looked away and figured out where to put them.

But as she did so, he noticed her lowly muttering things to herself as her eyes narrowed and scanned through the kitchen. It was almost as if she were solving a puzzle trying to figure out where to put them.

The cabinets were not opened and she didn't make an effort to do so in figuring out where to put the cans—but just when he was about to tell her where to put it, she walked up to a random one, found the rest of the canned food, and added to it.

It was nothing major, but he watched her as if she solved a crazy math equation. Observant indeed.

"I'a see you, Maw." He kissed her cheek as she smiled and Naija waved back before they left the house, finally heading home.
**

A/n: does naija's character remind some of y'all of Hayden or it's just me💀

they're gonna be a little similar (personality wise) but that's about it. I don't wanna make them too similar though🤡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 32K 39
A woman has faced the heart breaking reality of losing her virginity, being rejected and being blinded by love. She convinced her self that liaison d...
177K 7.8K 29
Enamored; have a liking or admiration for someone or something "Come're" DeAndre spoke as he licked his lips at the woman in front of him. "How much...
54.5K 1.7K 33
{MJFAs 2019 Winner - Hidden Gems} [COMPLETED] He wants her in his strange hotel... In his red velvet room. Where pleasure may await...and she ain't g...
5K 194 17
Life after her father's death was far worse than she could've ever imagined. β€’β€’β€’ It'd been nearly a year since Imani Harris' father had passed away...