Back in Black // Sirius Black

By SiriuslyBri

Murderer. Betrayal. Insane. Liar. Those were the words everyone, even her closest friends, used to describe A... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 15

5.9K 200 220
By SiriuslyBri

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

I was nervous as my children and I arrived home from Platform 9 and 3/4. They didn't seem to notice the 'dog' I brought with me to the station was not their pet Snuffles. I could tell Sirius was nervous as well. We were only minutes away from their reunion.

"Mum, Uncle Moony told us about Sirius' innocence," Cassie had whispered as she hugged me in the station. My throat tightened and I held my daughter close. "Reg and I hope you're okay."

"I am, we can talk at home," I promised. Anxiously, the four of us used a nearby fireplace to travel home by Floo Network.

Once we arrived home, Sirius padded over to the center of the room and sat patiently on his haunches. Cassie and Regulus started to talk over each other, recalling the end of term events with Sirius Black and their conversation with Remus. They didn't seem to notice when their dog Snuffles entered the room to greet them and sat right beside Sirius. The identical, bear-like dogs looked up at us happily, tongues lolling out of their mouths.

"Mum, when did we get another dog?" Regulus suddenly asked and went to pet the two dogs. Cassie yelped at the sight and knelt beside Sirius, peering into his eyes.

"How did you find him, Mum?" Cassie mused. "This is the same dog I've been taking care of at Hogwarts all year!"

"Pardon?" I coughed and stared suspiciously at Sirius the dog. He batted his eyes innocently as Cassie scratched at his ears.

"I found him on the grounds this year and I kept feeding him! I was hoping to find him by the end of the term to take him home to adopt him, but he disappeared from Hogwarts a few days ago!"

The children started to fawn over their new 'pet.' Sirius gazed at me with calm grey eyes, patiently waiting for a sign to finally reveal himself.

"You never told me you actually got to meet your daughter," I sighed, looking pointedly at Sirius. Cassie stiffened and stopped petting Sirius. She took a wary step away from the dogs.

"Mum, what's going on?"

"So Remus told you Sirius is innocent, eh?" I said. "But did he tell you how Sirius escaped Azkaban and how Peter managed to hide for 12 years after his supposed murder?"

Silence blanketed the room. Sirius shuffled uncomfortably on his paws.

"Peter Pettigrew is an Animagus," I explained. "He hid as a rat after faking his death when Sirius confronted him for betraying the Potters. Peter Pettigrew was the Death Eater spy, not your father. Sirius was wrongly imprisoned for the murders, and we all believed Peter's scheme until Remus and I saw him alive the other night."

I went on to explain the same story we told Harry, Hermione, and Ron in the Shrieking Shack. With every word, I found myself praying they believed me. Judging by their anxious expressions and suspicious looks towards the new dog, I had a feeling they knew where the story was heading even before I finished it.

"My friends and I... We all became Animagi when we were at Hogwarts to protect Remus. James Potter, a stag. Peter Pettigrew, a rat..." I revealed. "Me, a fox. And Sirius Black..."

Regulus and Cassie now stood six feet away from Sirius.

"And Sirius Black," Regulus gulped, "a dog."

"Mum, show us," Cassie demanded. "I can hardly wrap my head around it, but show me your Animagus before he... Before he does."

Without a word, Cassie and Regulus watched as their mother was replaced by a sleek black fox. I spun in a quick circle and stared up at the pair. Their jaws dropped as I stepped lightly around the room, gently nudging at their legs. When I turned back to human, I rested a hand on Sirius' large head. His tail thumped nervously.

"And yes, Sirius Black, a dog," I agreed. "Are you ready?"

The stunned looks on their faces told me they were not, in fact, ready. However, without waiting for their response, the black dog sitting beside me grew in height, his black fur changing to sleek black robes. Cassie and Regulus stopped looking stunned and looked nervous. Even Sirius, as he peered down at his children, did not look like his usual confident self.

"Cassiopeia... Regulus," Sirius mumbled in awe. He didn't dare step towards them.

"Sirius Black," Cassie deadpanned. I winced at the formality. "I suppose it is nice to see you again."

My daughter reached out her hand to her father and shook it rather briskly. My heart throbbed for Sirius. I couldn't imagine how awkward he felt. Regulus followed warily behind his sister and shook his father's hand. I watched as Sirius looked his son up and down, most likely awed by the resemblance to himself. 

"Children," I warned. "I know this must be very strange for you, but you must give your father a chance... He will be staying with us in hiding until I can find a way to clear his name. Please, I hope you two will grow to forgive and love your father as I do."

Nobody spoke. 

"So we're harboring a criminal?" Regulus asked. I bit my lip.

"Well, he's innocent, so not a criminal, per se. But yes, I am trusting you both to keep this secret from everyone, even your closest Hogwarts friends."

"We will, on one condition," Cassie smartly negotiated. "If you let us go to the Quidditch World Cup this summer."

"Deal," I snorted. Even Sirius had to chuckle at the ease of her terms. I watched as Cassie carefully eyed Sirius again.

"You let me think you were a just dog, all this year!" Cassie suddenly said. I couldn't tell if she was furious or shocked. "A bunch of Animagi running around Hogwarts all along! Mum, how couldn't you tell us?"

"I didn't think you would ever meet him. How could I imagine he would find you-"

"No, how couldn't you tell us you were an Animagus?! Why haven't you taught me to be one?"

I was taken aback by her excited tone. Regulus perked up at the prospect of becoming an illegal Animagus as well. Suddenly, I saw an opportunity for my children to positively bond with Sirius.

"Actually, I was never quite skilled enough to become an Animagus on my own," I explained, Sirius frowned at the falsity. "However, Sirius can probably teach you to become an Animagus, Cassie. He was always much better than me."

Cassie regarded Sirius in awe. She very meekly gave him her best pair of puppy dog eyes.

"Can you teach me, Sirius? Can you teach me to be an Animagus too?"

"I can certainly try," Sirius said. Cassie started to babble to her father about all the amazing pranks she could pull at Hogwarts as an Animagus. Then, Sirius noticed Regulus' gloomy face. The young boy knew it would be quite a few years before he could even attempt such advanced magic. 

"Hey Regulus, I have something outside that you might find interesting," Sirius offered. "I don't know how many magical creatures you have seen in your life, but I happen to be the owner of a Hippogriff. I might need some help taking care of him this summer, if you're up for the challenge?"

Regulus' face immediately lit up. 

"A Hippogriff? You mean I might be able to ride one? Sirius, where did you get a Hippogriff from?!"

Questions started to overwhelm Sirius as the children spoke excitedly. Any tension in the room seemed to break as Cassie and Regulus asked Sirius about all of the things he could teach and show them. Regulus tugged at Cassie's sleeve, impatiently pulling her to go outside and see the Hippogriff. The pair started talking about owning a magical creature and what the best Animagus form would be.

"Who would have thought that it would only take five minutes for you to become the 'cool' parent," I whispered to Sirius as we followed Cassie and Regulus outside to see Buckbeak.

"Are you surprised?" Sirius chuckled. "But I would hardly call myself their parent. Do you think they will ever call me by anything other than my first name?"

"You'll get there. They're going to love you! It's nearly impossible to resist the charm of Sirius Black."

Sirius stopped walking to the shed to kiss the top of my head and whisper a soft 'I love you.' I smiled and laughed the words back, more than elated he was back in my life. Cassie and Regulus saw the moment, and my heart fluttered. Luckily, they didn't seem horrified or disgusted by the romance in their mother's life. I hoped they could grow to accept the new addition to our family, for my sake. Surely, it would take time. 

As I opened the door to the shed, Sirius started to explain proper etiquette to meeting a Hippogriff. Cassie and Regulus regarded him with awe. I couldn't help but notice how Sirius seemed years younger as he conversed with them. Wrinkles seemed to fade and his grey eyes twinkled. Very carefully, he introduced them to the wary Buckbeak. I smiled at Sirius' attention to their safety around the creature. As soon as Cassie and Regulus accepted him, I knew Sirius would become the best father they could ever imagine.

<<>><<>><<>>

A/N:

And end scene for chapters correlating with Prisoner of Azkaban! The next chapter aligns with Goblet of Fire!

I had a good week, kind of feels like the calm before the storm. I dyed my hair after months of throwing the idea around, and I LOVE it. It also snowed where I live- it hasn't stuck around, but I love cold weather and everything that comes with winter. I'm looking forward to having like two feet of snow outside my window in a few months!

The school semester is halfway over, you all have no clue how excited I am about that. As soon as end of November hits, I will have so much time to write!

Question of the week: since Halloween is coming up soon (and maybe some of you in other countries don't celebrate this holiday), what are you going to be for Halloween? Or, if you don't celebrate Halloween, who or what would you dress up as if you had to for like a costume party? I'm going as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Yes, I am a twenty-one year old who still dresses up for Halloween. I feel absolutely no shame.

I also want to say a little thank you to all my readers and commenters. It has become increasingly difficult for me to reply to all your comments because of the sheer amounts of them (I'm talking I log on and see 200+ notifications from all of my books). I do see your comments even if I don't explicitly reply! I love you all so much, and I can't wait for you to see the next few chapters!

Love,

Bri

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

684K 16.4K 85
Diana Faye Lupin The twin Sister of Remus Lupin. The only girl who's immune to a Certain boy's flirtirous actions. The last girl you'd expect to fall...
440K 10.7K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...
324K 9K 25
She's hated by every house but her own. She's a Slytherin that embodies the house, yet nobody thinks she belongs. She defies social constructs quie...
320K 9.2K 39
'We'll 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐩𝐢𝐧, the pieces of our broken hearts back together' "I have to brew a difficult potion with him for months. And guess who my p...