Riding With the Elves // Lego...

By Mimi_Lind

With a secret mission to marry an elf, Wynne must join Legolas' and Elvenking Thranduil's new quest as a hors... More

Introduction
1. An Unpleasant Assignment
2. Meeting the Elvenking
3. Choosing Horses
4. Showing Skin
5. The Brown Lands
6. Fighting Orcs
7. Drinking with Elves
8. Hard to Sleep
9. One of the Team
10. Braided by an Elf
11. Tracking Warg Riders
12. In Captivity
13. Five Hunters
14. Elves to the Aid
15. Finding a Map
16. Drinking with Elves (again)
17. Hopes Crushed
18. Daydreaming in Emyn Muil
19. Mysterious Footprints
20. Tiny Orcs
21. To Kill or Not to Kill
22. Elvish Pedicure
23. Watching Topless Elves
24. It Always Rains on Camping Trips
25. An Uruk-hai's Childhood
26. New Babysitter
27. Fighting a Troll
28. Finding a Healer
29. Orc Medicine
30. Tripping on Poppy
31. Apologies and Explanations
32. A Tempting Suggestion
33. A Secret Relationship
34. Perhaps Not So Secret After All
35. Dirty Thoughts
36. Orc Farming
37. Puppy Love
38. The Ballad of the Ring
39. Knowing One's Heart
40. Riddles and Lakes
41. Fighting a Lake Monster
42. The Tale of the Fellowship
43. Sightseeing at the Anduin
44. The Living Marshes
45. Osgiliath Rebuilt
46. Meeting an Old Friend
47. Meeting a Lady Dwarf
48. Cheering Up an Elf
49. Preparing For a Party
50. A Furious Elvenking
51. Love and Desire
52. To the White City
53. An Unexpected Meeting
54. Mother Knows Best
55. Thruths Revealed
56. Pride and Vanity
57. An Unfair Ultimatum
58. Battle of the Titans
59. Plans Undone
60. Writing a Letter
62. Home to Greenwood
63. Home to Rohan
64. An Elvish Wedding
65. A Visit From Adar-in-law
Epilogue

61. A Fond Farewell

680 36 53
By Mimi_Lind

~ Wynne's friends try to help her solve her problems and come up with a new (third? fourth?) plan. ~

61. A Fond Farewell

"You look unhappy. What's wrong?" Sidra joined Wynne at the breakfast table.

"It's a long story," she mumbled, listlessly stirring her porridge.

"Well, here's what will cheer you up. Join me in a hot bath with the ladies!"

"I'm not really in the mood. But thanks." She tried to smile but her head hurt and smiling made it worse. Legolas and her had not slept much last night and were nowhere near a solution to their problems.

Thranduil's surprised and annoyed stare at her this morning had not helped either, and she hoped Legolas would take on the unpleasant task of explaining to him why she was still there.

"No, I insist. And then you can tell me everything." Sidra wrapped an arm around her.

Her spicy scent was comforting and Wynne leaned into the hug. Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to someone else. "Alright then."

The wide pool in the ladies' part of the bathhouse was circular and made of smooth stone, with a stair leading down into the hot water. Sconces on the walls gave the room a dim light. To Wynne's surprise all the ladies she knew were there: Sidra, Éowyn, Cheery and even Queen Arwen.

Wynne was very conscious about her nude body when she stepped down but the deep water was warm and relaxing.

"This is lovely," sighed Sidra.

"We are very proud of our baths," agreed Arwen. The acoustics in the room made her beautiful voice even more melodious.

Wynne peeked at her under half-closed lids; she had never seen another female's body and became curious. Through the clear water she saw that Arwen was equally beautiful naked. Her waist was thin, despite having carried a child, and her small breasts shapely. She seemed to have no hair at all on her body, even between her legs.

Again she felt that treacherous attraction and quickly shifted her gaze to Éowyn. She was more muscular, with a warrior's body, and that was attractive in its own way. Without clothes, her pregnancy was more pronounced.

Next to Éowyn, Sidra leaned back with closed eyes, resting her head on the wall. Sidra was Sidra, ample and motherly, but Wynne was fairly sure males loved that kind of curves.

Beside her, Cheery fought to keep her nose above the surface in the deep pool. It was very hard to not stare at the dwarf's body, it was so decidedly female with those large breasts and wide hips but also so very hairy.

"Well, Wynne," said Sidra, eyes still closed. "Are you going to explain why you have shadows darker than Mordor under your eyes and hardly touched your breakfast?"

Wynne tore her gaze from Cheery to glare at her friend. Did she expect her to talk about such personal things in front of the queen?

"I'll tell you later," she muttered.

"You do look cast down." Arwen's lilting voice was filled with concern.

"Is it about the bonny elf?" asked Cheery.

"What elf?" Arwen's interest clearly was caught. She peered at Wynne and then put out a hand to examine the three braids on her temple. "Legolas did those, did he not?" When Wynne still didn't reply, she smiled dreamily. "Aww, I am so happy for you both. I knew something good had befallen him."

"You did?" Wynne was surprised, she had not noticed Legolas talking much to Arwen.

"Aye. After Estel's coronation and our marriage, he stayed here for several weeks, and during that time he changed. He became sad and brooding and my husband and I worried about him. When he left he promised to return and visit soon, but he never did."

"He didn't visit us either," said Éowyn.

"Or Gimli," Cheery added.

"As soon as I saw him arrive the other day," Arwen continued, "I noticed he seemed more like he was when I first met him. And yesterday Estel hinted there was a lady involved, although he would not say who."

"I'm surprised you hadn't heard the rumors," Wynne muttered. "I thought everybody knew."

"I do not listen to gossip."

"But why are you sad?" Éowyn cut in. "You seemed so happy together in Osgiliath."

"It's just impossible," Wynne mumbled. And then everything poured out of her. Mother's interference, Thranduil's resistance, and most importantly, the complications of human-elf relationships, such as Legolas' wasting away with grief when she died.

"I fail to see why it is a problem that he would pass away when you did," said Arwen. "Surely, all the happy years before your demise would make it worth it?"

"But it sounds so horrible. First his soul would die, and when he is reborn, he will be alone in Aman. It's different for you, Your Majesty; Thranduil told me your family could choose immortality."

"Hm. Aye, it is different," she admitted. "I am no longer immortal; I gave it up when I wed Estel. And hence neither is our son."

"How romantic." Cheery smiled wistfully.

Wynne felt a pang of jealousy. "Legolas doesn't have that choice. He's not related to Eärendil and... Tumor, or what his name was."

"Tuor," Arwen corrected, suddenly looking thoughtful. "He was my father's grandfather. And I wonder..."

"That's right," Éowyn exclaimed. "According to legend the Valar made him immortal. And he was an ordinary human."

"They did, but that might not work a second time, though – and he had performed some truly heroic deeds. Perhaps best not get her hopes up." Arwen turned back to Wynne. "I think you must allow Legolas to make his own decisions. It is his life to give, after all."

"But his father–"

"He would lose Legolas either way. Without you, I think he would go back to being the way he was after the war."

"He says he would sail west," she admitted.

"See! Thranduil will just have to accept this. Though, according to my father, he always was an obstinate fellow." She smiled.

"But her mother will create trouble for them," said Éowyn. "She is infamous for her meddling. I spoke to my brother, because I was so surprised the Rohirrim lords were opposed to the peace treaty, and it turns out Lady Morwen was behind it."

"They could live with me and Nugu," suggested Sidra. "I'm sure that woman would never want to visit an orc town."

Éowyn shook her head. "That would be too risky, she would probably claim the orcs had kidnapped her daughter and violated the peace treaty. Wynne, you just have to stand up to her. Demand she leaves you two alone."

"Says the woman who had to dress like a man to be able to do what she wanted," teased Sidra.

"Well I did stand up to my uncle first... he just didn't listen." She shrugged.

"I stood up to my father about my love for Estel," said Arwen proudly. "He was against it too at first."

"Mother won't listen to me. She doesn't even listen to Thranduil."

"Oh."

Nobody said anything for a while. Arwen chewed thoughtfully on her lower lip and Éowyn's forehead was furrowed. Wynne looked at them in wonder; they were really engaging themselves in this. Their kind support warmed her heart.

Cheery broke the silence first, her voice slow and calculating. "Yer mum wants ye to wed a prince, and carry his bairns... But what if he gives up his claim to the crown? Then he is no prince anymore."

"Mother would probably disown me if I married a commoner..."

"There ye go, then." She shrugged.

Everyone stared at the dwarf, slow smiles forming on their faces as realization dawned. Arwen began to laugh, the melodious sound echoing between the stone walls, and soon the others joined in.

"Perfect," hissed Sidra between the paroxysms. "Just perfect."

"Thranduil would forbid it," said Wynne, the only one not laughing.

"Then dinnae tell him first." Cheery smirked under her beard. "The bonny lad can announce it publicly to his people."

"I truly believe this might work." Arwen smiled smugly. "Morwen will want nothing to do with them if they are not royalty. I have met many ambitious people in the city; I know her kind."

Wynne looked at the others, really wanting to believe them though she felt she was probably grasping at straws.

"Alright then," she said at last.

oOo

They kept talking for a long time, honing the plan, trying to foresee what could go wrong and how to counteract it. When Wynne finally left the bathhouse to find Legolas, her fingers were wrinkled and she was clean as a newborn baby. She also felt slightly hopeful for the first time in days.

To her surprise, Legolas was just back from an informal meeting with Aragorn and Gimli, concerning the exact same issue. Moreover, they had come to a similar conclusion as Cheery, and thought up almost the exact same plan.

"Really?"

"Really."

"So you want to do it then? I mean... you would lose everything."

"I never wanted the crown, never wanted to rule. I can only see advantages with this plan."

"I'm not sure it will work..." She sighed.

"Pessimist." He looked around to make sure nobody was nearby, and gave her a quick kiss.

"Overconfident optimist," she countered, returning it.

Then they had to part; Legolas had postponed speaking with his father but now it had to be done. He would tell him that Wynne had stayed because they had another plan and that he would reveal it when they came home.

"Will he accept that?"

"Nay, he hates surprises. He will keep prying. Only, this time he will not succeed."

"Good luck." Wynne had not meant for it to sound so sardonic, but she really did doubt Legolas would be able to resist in the long run. Thranduil knew too well how to control his son. But hopefully he wouldn't put a stop to the plan when he found out; he must understand this was the only way to keep Legolas in Middle-earth.

When she was alone she began to pack her bag again, this time for good. They were leaving Minas Tirith tomorrow. The elves and the uruk-hai couple would take the new river route back to Emyn Muil, together with some of Aragorn's emissaries and bring the new peace treaty to Master Goltur. After that the elves would continue north to the elvish realms of Lothlórien and Greenwood.

Meanwhile, Wynne and her family would ride with King Éomer back to Edoras before turning northeast to their home. There, Mother believed they would prepare for the wedding and travel to Greenwood for a formal betrothal ceremony, but instead Wynne would leave alone.

At the arranged meeting place she would find Legolas – that was, if he succeeded with his part. And if Wynne was not prevented by her mother from leaving.

She was not being pessimistic; there were many things that could go wrong, still many obstacles to overcome. Much depended on whether Legolas and she managed to oppose their parents, Wynne in particular; if she left without Mother's knowledge she could yet stir up much political trouble.

After what had happened last time, Wynne and Legolas didn't dare spend the night or even the evening together. A few kisses in a dark corner of the guesthouse corridor was all they could steal.

"Next time we meet there will be more than kisses," Legolas promised, eyes shining with excitement.

"You're enjoying all this," she accused. "Like it's some sort of adventure."

"I do," he admitted. "I am happy all this awful waiting will be over soon."

"It might not be." She bit her lip, feeling like crying when thinking of all the what-ifs.

"If your mother makes a fuss I shall come for you."

"Yeah because that wouldn't make her rally all of Rohan against you and your realm? You can't help me with this and you know it."

His smile waned. "There is no point imagining the worst."

Wynne disagreed but kept it to herself this time. She didn't want to fight with him, not now when they were together for the last time in weeks.

"I'll miss you so much," she said instead, feeling a pang of apprehension. She had seen him every day for several months; what would it be like to be apart? What if he would feel less for her, even forget her?

She knew she was being silly but couldn't push away the bleak thoughts entirely.

"I will miss you too." He kissed her again, an earnest, hungry kiss that temporarily chased away her fears and left her breathless.

oOo

Wynne slept badly again that night. After breakfast, which she tasted nothing of, she joined the others at the courtyard in the city's sixth level. The stablehands had brought out all the horses and the crowded area was chaotic. Wynne's family's meara mixed-breeds pranced nervously around Éowyn and Faramir's more sedate steeds and the ponies Gimli and his girlfriend rode. Further away were the many horses belonging to King Éomer's entourage.

Mother had put a side-saddle on her mare Wynne noticed with a frown. Father always rode bareback like her.

The elves and Sidra and Nugu had come to say their goodbyes; they would leave by boat later today. "Can you believe I shall be going up in that boat lift," Sidra said with a shudder. "Wish me luck."

"You will be fine," comforted Éowyn and hugged her. "I hope we shall meet again soon!"

"Can't you come visit us and see our mountain town? The children get along so well."

"Why not?" Éowyn looked at Faramir, who nodded.

"We don't have much planned for the autumn," he said.

"You are more than welcome." Sidra smiled broadly and her eyes became misty. "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Sidra and Wynne's farewell was more definite; there was no way of knowing if they would ever meet again. If the plan worked, they might, but Wynne still dared not be too sure it would.

"Don't worry. Just be strong. I know you can be." Sidra kissed her loudly on each wet cheek.

Then followed a long series of more goodbyes, with Nodir and Bronedir, Galion, Cheery, Gimli, Arwen and Aragorn, Éowyn and Faramir. When Wynne at last had come to Legolas and his father her heart felt empty and she had run out of tears.

Thranduil surprised her by pulling her into a hug. His fine travel cloak felt smooth against her cheek. "Will you not tell me what this 'grand plan' of yours is about?" he murmured before pulling back.

She shook her head.

"Why do I have a feeling I will not like it?" Despite his words his eyes were soft.

"I will miss you." There was a lump in her throat. Apparently she still had some tears left after all.

"We will meet again."

"Yes of course you will, Your Grace, and soon too!" Mother had joined them and Wynne winced when she perceived the instant change in Thranduil's features. "We will travel to you at the first opportunity." She turned to Legolas. "And then you shall finally have your lovely bride, Your Highness."

His only answer was a very curt bow.

"Well, I shall leave you two lovebirds to say your sweet farewells, then."

Wynne frowned after her retreating back.

"Allow me to bid you a sweet farewell, my lovely bride." Legolas smiled impishly. But then a thought seemed to strike him and he turned serious. "But first I have to say goodbye to Stelpa. For good..."

He gave the mare a long hug, rubbing her neck and back, allowing her to nibble his shoulder and huff air in his face. When he finally let go with a soft kiss on her muzzle his eyes were almost as wet as Wynne's. "It feels so strange I shall never see her again."

"I think you will miss her more than me." She smiled through her tears. Legolas' affection for horses had been one of the reasons she had fallen for him.

"If so, it is because I shall meet you again, but not her." He smiled too but his voice was sad. Parting from the horse really pained him.

"Come here." She drew him to her. Their hug was more intimate than was appropriate in public but for once she couldn't care less.

"Great, now I am crying all over your hair." He pulled back to cup her face between his hands, smiling through his tears. "I will see you soon. I am not giving up on you. Ever."

She nodded, not trusting her voice.

"The Anduin. Where we first met."

She nodded again. "The Anduin."

"Oh, I almost forgot." His smile changed from serious to playful. "I have a gift for you. For your journey."

"What?" She wiped her eyes, curiously accepting the small package. It was wrapped in green leaves.

Lembas. Of course.

A/N:

Do you think the plan will work? Wynne is pessimistic (sorry, realistic!). Personally, I am the worst kind of optimist, which tends to annoy people. :D

Image Credits:

Beautiful fanart by my talented daughter  LilahSilver

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

212K 6.2K 45
Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilderness of Middle-Earth as one of the most...
23.6K 661 17
A story collection featuring Aragorn, Legolas, Thranduil, and Boromir so far. There will be lots of hurt/comfort, sweet romance, humor and a pinch of...
244K 11.1K 59
Unexpectedly turned into a cat, Kat falls into Middle-earth with the mission to prevent a death. In a feline form she can only communicate with the e...
282K 11.4K 36
Storm Of Arrows ➝ Lord of the Rings [Legolas] ✓ 2014 Hunting Spiders in the forest of Mirkwood, Legolas, Prince of the Woodland Realm, comes across...