The Mummy: The Tomb Robbers'...

By martykate1

For many years rumors have persisted that there are caches of gold, precious stones, and unguents that tomb r... More

Introduction
The Valley and Its Secrets
The Concession
White Skies of the Desert
The Sandstorm
The Tomb in the Cliffs
The Funeral in the Dark of the Night
The Gleam of Jewels, The Glitter of Gold
From Minya to Cairo to Danger?
Murder in the Sahara
A Not So Simple Robbery
To Luxor
Awakenings
The Screaming Mummy
Back to the Desert
Sifting the Sands of Time
Gold
Bones
The Lost
By Torchlight
Ghost Mists
The Captured
Beautiful Feast of the Valley
The Spell Was Not Working
Death of a Pharaoh
Escape
To Kingdom Come
Endings and New Beginnings
Glossary

No Longer a Refuge

159 10 4
By martykate1

The boat finally reached its destination and Roma found herself reluctant to disembark, preferring to float forever on the Nile free from the visions and dreams that had plagued her on land. Father Nile had proven her protector, his waters shielding her from the apparition that haunted her since the first terrifying appearance at the foot of her cot in the tomb.

Sitting on her bed in the cabin she decided that she could not leave. Whatever haunted her had its roots in the sands of Egypt. If she remained here it simply could not find her.

"Come, Roma, we must leave now." Ardeth stood in the doorway, now clad in his customary black robes. How different he seemed to her, the son of the Med-Jai no longer seemed strange and arrogant, instead there stood the man who watched over her so tenderly and was such a considerate lover.

"I can't, Ardeth, I am afraid."

"Afraid of what?" He came and sat next to her, taking her hand and gently stroking it.

"I am afraid, I am afraid it will find me. It followed me to Cairo, but the waters of the Nile have protected me, I will no longer have them as a shield once I step on land."

"I will protect you," he said simply, "Anything that might hurt you will have to come through me. You'll feel better back in your home, I promise. Come." He stood and held out his hand, she took it, feeling comfort in the strength of his touch.

The O'Connells were waiting for them by the gangplank. They led the way and she followed with Ardeth, still wishing that she could remain on board the ship. She cast back one look of longing, suppressing the urge to run back and lock herself in her cabin.

Rick hailed a cab, one of the many drivers Roma knew well. The driver drove quickly to the house and deposited them with their baggage, then sped off to find a new fare.

Evelyn remarked at the beauty of the house, its pink stucco exterior shaded by giant palms so old that no one knew when they were planted. Roma, however, saw it differently, this was the last place she had seen her father alive. So strong was the feeling that as she stepped inside, her urge to cry became so powerful that she could not fight it and threw herself onto a sofa and burst into tears.

Samir, her major-domo came in, anxious to see what was wrong with his mistress. Ardeth curtly ordered him to prepare tea and have the luggage removed to the missy's room and the other guests. Samir bowed, and with a look of concern at Roma, obeyed the stern-faced Med-Jai.

Evelyn sat next to her and held her hand, "My dear, I am so sorry for your loss. We did not think of the painful memories you might have here."

"I am sorry, I hoped that when I came back the reminiscences would be happier. I grew up in this house and spent many happy hours here. My father entertained all sorts of people, including Howard Carter's tutor Flinders Petrie, and Ardeth's father. This is where I learned to be an archaeologist." She shook her head and wiped away the tears still welling in her eyes. "This is the last place I saw him, I said goodbye and expected to see him in Cairo."

Samir appeared, bearing the tea tray. He set it down on the table in front of the sofa and poured tea for the four of them then left, bowing as he exited the room.

Ardeth sat next to Roma and she leaned her head in gratitude against his strong shoulder. "So, what do you want to do?" he asked her in a gentle voice.

"I don't know, it's too hard to think. Evelyn, when are you supposed to meet with Carter?" Roma's mind took refuge in business as if that would drive the unpleasant memories.

"Let's see, I have a letter," Evelyn dug around in her bag, "Here it is, I am to report to him in a week if it is convenient. I did not know how long it would take to make arrangements to get Alex in school and arrange for transportation to Luxor."

"What will you be doing for him?"

"Well, I'm to help catalog and sort the artifacts as they're removed. I understand that a lot of this is being done on-site, he's using tombs as his laboratories and to develop the photos that are being taken as articles are removed from the tomb."

"You won't be assisting in the removal of artifacts from the tomb itself?"

"No, alas, but just to assist him is an honor. There is nothing like this in the history of Egypt. Intact tombs have been found before, but never a pharaoh's tomb. This will give me credentials that will open all sorts of doors, maybe even the opportunity to dig in Egypt myself."

Roma could appreciate this, being her father's daughter provided her the opportunity to conduct digs on her own. She was the youngest archaeologist excavating alone in Egypt, and she knew that without her father's influence it would not be possible.

"If I do not report to Carter in a week, then would we not have the time to visit the tomb you found?" There was a sly insinuation in Evelyn's voice, "Once I begin my work for Carter there will be little opportunity to slip away. I do so wish to see it, what you have described sounds fascinating."

"NO!" said Ardeth and Rick simultaneously, "Don't even think about it, Evelyn," said Rick. "You can't get there on your own, you'll need help finding it and where will it come from?"

"Sandstorm season is starting," Ardeth pointed out, "It's dangerous. You can't do this by yourselves. To set out now and on your own without either O'Connell or me to guide you would be folly."

"And it is obvious that we will receive help from neither of you," Evelyn words were cutting and to the point. "Sandstorms, a lack of guides, and no equipment will make it all but impossible, you say. Does it not occur to you that we could obtain these things on our own?"

"You would not be safe on your own," Ardeth repeated, "Your guide may seem trustworthy, but what if he abandoned you in a sandstorm? What if he took your camels and your equipment in the middle of the night? How would you find your way there, let alone be able to return home without coming to harm?"

"I can use a compass, Ardeth, and besides, I've already made the journey. I can ask my diggers who would be the most trustworthy to guide us there and back." Roma shook her head, "Evelyn, he does have a point, it is sandstorm season now, I want to avoid those at all costs. Maybe now is not the right time."

"Don't you want to find out who killed your father?" asked Ardeth, "You cannot do that if you are wandering in the desert. You have your father's map, you said you wanted to see if there is anything buried in caches in the valley. You have plenty you can do without leaving Luxor."

"Perhaps you are right, Ardeth," she sighed and looked up to see Samir announcing dinner. The subject was closed for now.

After dinner Roma was tired, it had been a long five days. Exhaustion overcame her and she excused herself and retired to her bedroom and was asleep before Ardeth joined her.

Evelyn was tired but her mind was reeling with thoughts and possibilities that made sleep all but impossible. First and foremost was the tomb and how she could possibly arrange to see it before she began her work for Carter. That Roma was afraid to return to the tomb was painfully obvious but without her help finding it would be impossible. The weather had already grown uncomfortably warm, soon it would be too hot to even attempt the trip until the cold weather came.

She poured herself a glass of cognac and stared out through the narrow windows that were designed to let in a minimum of light and keep as much of the heat out as possible. The night now was deliciously cool but in the morning the temperature would begin the rise and the weather would become unbearably hot. In such temperatures, it would be folly to venture out into the desert.

But when would she have the opportunity? The tomb and its purpose had become an obsession. Sometimes discoveries like this would become hidden by sandstorms and floods from the annual rains. The entrance to the tomb might become concealed by sand and rubble, making it impossible to find and become lost to posterity.

"Are you still up?" Evelyn looked up to see Roma wrapped in her robe. "Yes, I'm afraid so, I can't sleep thinking about that tomb."

Roma poured herself a glass of cognac and topped off Evelyn's. "I found I could only sleep so much, I'm awake now and thought a glass of cognac might help me sleep." She took a sip and gave a contented sigh, "Perhaps I should not have told you about that tomb."

"Oh, but I'm glad you did! Such a unique discovery ought to be shared. I just wish there were a way we could find it; such an unusual tomb must have been for someone important."

"Yes, but you're facing an important task. I heard that Lord Carnarvon died from a septic mosquito bite. He was the one who used to handle the press, Carter is no good at it. You're pretty, attractive, well educated, and an up-and-coming archaeologist, Carter will use you to handle the press, I'm sure. They'll likely be less hostile to a pretty face and when they find out how smart you are, they'll be respectful in their dealings with you."

"Now that I know about your tomb, I wish I hadn't taken that job. Maybe we could convince the men to take us out to the desert so we could examine it. You have the necessary photographic equipment to take pictures of the inside. We could bring some workers and digging equipment in case we need it. We could travel at night and set up tents for shelter during the day."

"Evelyn, I think it's too soon. I'm convinced that something followed me back from there and I'm not sure that it's left. There is something evil that hides in there. Maybe it should just be left alone. I wouldn't want to go there again without a magus or an Iman to drive out whatever might be dwelling there."

This was not what Evelyn wanted to hear. "I'm sure that if you give yourself time these fears will fade and the importance of what you discovered will take their place."

"I cannot go without Ardeth, he will remember the location better than I could. Face it we can't do this without Rick and Ardeth's help and we won't get it. There is not enough money or fame to entice me back out into that desert. Let someone else find it, all I want is to stay away." She drained her glass, "Good night, I'll see you in the morning."

Evelyn smiled wanly as she sipped from her glass. This was not the end of it, she was determined to find that tomb and somehow, she would find a way. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 625 16
~Completed~Ilana Bodnar knew Ari Levinson was going to break her heart. They grew up together, in a small suburb outside of NYC, two of the few Jewis...
391 22 6
Our tale is told by the mistress of the current self-proclaimed God of the Multiverse, who will (natch) find herself falling for the inimitable Rick...
76 0 6
I tsked. "If anything I saved your ass. Imagine if someone found out that the prince of Rajasthan, the mafia king was left at the alter" I mocked. Hi...
22.5K 492 21
Sophie and Rick are back! Now married and with a kid, together they go exploring as archaeologist living a normal life, but Sophie ask Rick to go on...