Royalty

By aquarliam

Have you ever met someone that took your breath away? The very sight of them was beautiful, and you just coul... More

Royalty || au h.s.
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty One
Forty Two
Forty Three
Forty Four
Forty Five
Forty Six
Forty Seven
Forty Eight
Forty Nine
Fifty
Fifty One
Fifty Two
Fifty Three
Fifty Four
Fifty Five
Fifty Six
Fifty Seven
** not a chapter **
Fifty Eight
Fifty Nine
Sixty One
Sixty Two
Sixty Three
Sixty Four
Sixty Five
Sixty Six
Sixty Seven
Sixty Eight
Sixty Nine
Seventy
Seventy One
Epilogue
Playlist
BONUS pt1
BONUS pt2

Sixty

85.2K 2.8K 805
By aquarliam

a/n: summary manip ^^ okay so a lot of you have asked about the manips i make and i've said it's photoshop. i always call it photoshop bc it technically is & that's just what i think it is, like any kind of photo editing i've always called photoshop. but i think everyone else takes it as me using the actual photoshop program. anyways it's an app i use called juxtaposition or juxtaposer (i always forget which it is bc i was calling it the wrong thing for a long time). so i use that to make a manip and then i use other picture editing apps for filters and hues and tints and all that to make it look better. the key is finding two pictures that are of the same quality. hope that's helpful for those of you that asked x

"When are your parents getting here?" I asked Summer as I tried to put the salad together.

"Well their plane landed an hour ago. If anything, they should be here any minute," she walked out from my bedroom, fixing her dark red dress in the process. "Are you sure there isn't anything I can help with? I'm feeling bored not having anything to do."

"I'm positive," I laughed, seeing her pout her lip at me. "I've got this under control."

"I wouldn't speak too soon. If my parents were to walk into the apartment right now, there would be nothing on the table," she pointed over towards the dining table, and I realized I hadn't put anything on there. It was completely bare from when I cleaned it off. "Can I at least set the plates and utensils out?"

"Okay okay. Go ahead."

She clapped her hands together and gave me a sticky kiss on the cheek. I hate lip gloss.

As she gathered some plates from the cabinets and pulled some utensils from the drawers, I wiped the stickiness from my cheek before I went back to attempting to recreate this dinner meal. Everything was going to go well, as long as her parents could look past the fact that we were not at a fancy restaurant, rather La Casa De Harry.

It would've sounded better if I was cooking Mexican food, like tacos and burritos. Maybe that's what I should've done instead. Can't go wrong with tacos.

The dessert thing that Zayn had taught me to make takes forty-five mintues to cook in the oven, so as I placed the dish on the oven rack, I looked over at Summer and called out to her, "Remind me in forty-five minutes that this has to come out."

"Why don't you just set the timer?" She pointed towards the oven and laughed. "It's a setting right there."

"Timers are for pansies."

"You're ridiculous."

"I'm not a pansy."

After Summer set the table, and I got most of the meal prepared, there was a light knock on the door. I set down the things I had in my hands and dusted off any possible food that might've gotten onto my clothes.

Walking over to the door, I was slowly growing more and more nervous. Were they going to judge me for this place I live in? I mean, if they reacted anything like Louis did the other day, this might not go as well as I intended for it to go.

I grabbed the handle and opened the front door, revealing Summer's parents in front of me. Marilyn was dressed very business-woman-like, and Robert was in his usual three thousand dollar suit.

"Hi," I greeted, putting on a genuine smile. I stepped to the side to let them in, earning curious looks as they examined the apartment.

"Hi, Mom. Hi, Dad," Summer walked up, giving her parents an awkwardly brief hug. Everything between them seemed to be so awkward, and that was either because things have always been that way with them or because of me. I'm just going to pretend it's not because of me.

"Harry, what a nice place you have here," Marilyn smiled. She looked uncomfortable, and I appreciated her attempt at making me feel better. "It's cozy-like, very quaint."

"Thanks," I nodded my head, looking over towards Robert. He had on that same upturned nose look that Louis had when he walked in here, which wasn't much of a good sign, but I'd pray that things got better as the night went on.

Robert reluctantly reached his hand out to shake mine, having a firm grip as he did so, "Harry, nice to see you."

"How was your flight?" I asked them, wanting to at least start off with some small talk.

"Bumpy. There was a lot of turbulence," Marilyn sighed as she gently clasped her hands together, the thin bracelets on her wrist clinking together.

"I don't believe it was turbulence," Robert slightly scowled. He wasn't looking at any of us in particular as he spoke, he was just glancing around the room. "I think the pilot didn't know how to fly the plane. Remind me to have him fired."

"Oh, Robert, don't speak such nonsense."

Summer discreetly rolled her eyes at her parents before she put on a smile, "How about you two sit down at the table? Harry prepared a great meal for us."

"Oh of course," Marilyn smiled my way, walking over to the table and sitting down in a chair. "It's very sweet of you, Harry, to do this for us."

"It's not a problem," I grabbed the bowl that contained the salad and brought it over to the table, placing it in the center. "I love to cook."

A half-lie. I liked to cook the meal I just made. Cooking anything else? Not so much.

"That's wonderful! What's your signature dish?"

Marilyn asked me as Summer and Robert awkwardly sat down in their chairs next to each other. There was so much tension between the two of them, considering how they left things off at the last dinner, and I was wondering how things were going to unfold tonight.

"Um, I can make a mean omelet," I tried to laugh, lightening the air at the table. I walked back over to the kitchen to grab the salmon and green beans. I know Xander told me how to prepare each plate, but I decided to just put everything in separate dishes, just so they could take their own portions. When I glanced over at Summer, she was rolling her eyes at me as I set the plates down. "See the key to making a good omelet is the technique of the flip. You can't mess it up."

"I never thought of it that way," Marilyn drew her brows together. "I suppose that's why I left all the cooking up to Julian."

I had no idea who Julian was, but I had a pretty good guess he was their personal chef or something. Damn rich people.

As the dinner was actually served, Robert seemed to have nothing to say to me, or Summer for that matter. He kept quiet to himself, and I wasn't sure if he was tired from his flight over or if maybe he just didn't want to talk to me at all. Although, I had to admit I was expecting snarky comments from him about my apartment, but I didn't really receive any. He constantly made glances over at Marilyn, as if he was trying to make sure she was okay.

Marilyn was very chatty. She was always the one to initiate a conversation or switch to a different topic and include everyone in it. Weirdly, there were brief moments where she seemed so happy for Summer that she was about to cry. I didn't understand it because none of what Summer said was really that emotion provoking. Sure, going to the movie premiere in two days and wearing new clothes is awesome, but I don't think it's something to feel so much happiness over.

But then again, I don't understand women or what it's like to have a daughter that gets an opportunity like that, so maybe I just don't know anything about it.

Eventually after some warming up, Robert actually started to talk to me. He was directing questions at me and acting pretty civil. I suppose it was only a matter of time before he acted like a decent human being to me. I just hoped this continued on from this point.

The four of us talked about things Summer and I had been up to, how things were with her friends, and if we had any plans aside from the movie premiere. I was going to mention the whole moving out of the apartment thing, but I wasn't sure if that was my place to talk about. Seeing as it was Summer that was moving out of her family's hotel, I figured that she would be the one to bring it up.

But she never did.

She didn't talk about getting a new apartment or the fact that we were moving in two weeks. I felt a little confused, but she probably had her reasons. I'm sure if she mentioned it before she actually moved, her parents would do everything to convince her to stay in the hotel, just to keep her under their 'command'.

So I guess I understood why she didn't mention it.

Plus, I'd be willing to bet that her parents would not like the idea of us moving in together.

"Are you in school, Harry?" Robert asked as he set his fork down on the table. I had been curious to know when this question was going to come up, and I was a little nervous how he'd react to my answer.

"Erm, no. I'm not going to school."

"And why not?"

"I can't afford it."

"You can take out a student loan, you know."

"But paying it off later on will keep me in debt. I know it sounds bad, but I don't have any plans or desires to have a career in a field that I don't find any interest in. I'm not one to become a business man or a doctor or anything of that sort, so I don't see a reason for me to go to school. I'm doing well with where I am right now."

"But you could do better. I'm sure there's something you would find interest in getting a degree to do."

"Dad," Summer interrupted, looking slightly annoyed.

"What?" Robert shrugged his shoulders. "You know I believe school is important."

I looked over at Summer with a curious expression, "Are you in school?"

She slowly nodded her head, almost looking embarrassed for some odd reason.

"Columbia, of course," Robert answered.

I didn't know why I felt surprised by the fact that Summer was attending college or even the fact that she attended an Ivy League school. I didn't know why I seemed to have assumed she didn't need to go to school. Maybe the fact that she's on summer break is the reason she never brought up schooling. But I suppose it's nice she's going somewhere in the city rather than any place else. We won't have to do that long distance stuff.

Robert took a sip of his drink as he looked at the two of us, "I'm surprised you both didn't know that about each other. Seems to me like-"

He was interrupted by a soft knocking on the door. It was so soft that I almost missed it, and I was surprised it had caught all of our attention. I figured it would be Isabella or Xander apologizing for coming over and forgetting something they needed to stay at Summer's place. Or maybe it was the tiny old lady, Helen, across the hall who always knocked so quiet, coming over to ask if I could help her fix something. The last time she came over asking me to fix her broken kitchen cabinet and then she sent me back to my apartment with a whole plate full of cookies. Definitely going to miss that when I leave.

I excused myself from the table and walked over to the door, looking through the peephole. There wasn't anyone standing in front of the door, which weirded me out, but I opened it anyways. The moment the door opened up, Rick appeared right in front of me, shoving me to the floor.

"I told you I'd come back," he scoffed, walking into the room and shutting the door behind him. He stepped over me before making his way to the table, picking food off one of the plates and putting it in his mouth. Spinning around to look at me, his body towered over my own on the floor. "Where is he?"

Summer seemed to recognize who this was because her eyes slightly grew in size. Although, she quietly ran off towards my room, disappearing behind one of the walls. Both Robert and Marilyn were cautiously watching Rick and me, most likely wondering what the fuck was going on. I hated this happening right now because I didn't want them to think this was some kind of daily occurrence, that I was having guys like this come around to my place looking to start shit.

"I don't know," I grunted, trying to stand back up. Before I could get to my feet, Rick pushed me back down.

"You know exactly where he is. Now tell me."

I shook my head as I looked back at him, "He's not here. I don't know where he is."

"See, this is where you're wrong," Rick started to walk around me, like a shark circling its prey. "I know that you know where he is, and I'm going to give you one more chance to tell me."

"Or what?" I snapped. "You're going to hit me? You can hit me all you want, I'm not telling you shit."

I could see his eyes filling with anger as he leaned down and grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, pulling me upward, "Why are you protecting him? He's done nothing but put a burden on your family. He's done nothing but ruin things for everyone. He owes me. He owes you. Don't try and take care of him. You've done enough of that."

"I'm protecting him from assholes like you. He doesn't owe you anything. You ruined his childhood. You are the worst father, if you can even call yourself that, that anyone could have. Don't try to get in contact with someone you abused because they don't want anything to do with you. You're a piece of shit."

I was egging him on, pushing his buttons, dying to get some kind of bad reaction out of him. Maybe it wasn't a good idea, because who knows what else he's capable of after being locked up, but I was willing to risk it.

"You know, I was planning to be nice to you if you just cooperated with me," Rick faked a laugh as he looked right at me. "But that's just not going to work anymore."

Going against my better judgment, I reached up in attempt to hit him in the face. But unfortunately for me, he saw it coming before I even moved. His hand gripped my wrist so tight, I thought he'd snap my bone. I tried my best to not look like he was bothering me. I wanted him to believe that nothing he could do would break me. I wouldn't give in.

It seemed to be working because before I could react anymore, I felt his fist collide with my cheek. His temper will always be his downfall.

I heard Marilyn gasp and Robert slide his chair out from the table. Neither of them moved, most likely not having any idea how to approach this situation. I still had no idea what Summer was doing, maybe just hiding out in my room or calling Xander to let him know what was going on.

"Where is he?" Rick demanded, not once letting go of my collar.

"Not here."

A split second later I felt his fist at my cheek again. I have really bad luck when it comes to getting punched. Three different times in the past two months, this is definitely some sort of record.

Rick continued to ask me about Xander's location, responding with a punch to my face when I didn't give him the answer he wanted. In the background I could hear Marilyn say something to Robert about trying to stop this, but the moment Robert attempted to speak up, Rick whipped around and told him to shut up, which immediately made Robert become silent. I will say I appreciated his effort to step in.

"I can do this all day, you little shit," Rick smirked, pulling me up by the collar once more.

My head was pounding, my cheek was throbbing, and lip was in pain. I knew he had broken skin under my eye, above my eyebrow, and the corner of my lip. I could taste the blood in my mouth and feel it dripping down my face. I took a deep breath and nodded my head.

"So can I."

I spotted Summer walking back into the room with the most concerned look on her face. She took a step towards us, but Robert motioned for her to stop moving. I would've done the same thing if I could move any part of my body at the moment. Summer continuously glanced back and forth between Rick and I and the door, seemingly hoping for something or someone to break this up.

I'd lie here for as long as it took for Rick to give up, which might have been for a quite some time if my apartment door hadn't busted open. Thank god it didn't break, I didn't need to pay for repairs or deal with the damn landlord.

Rick dropped me to the floor as a couple of cops rushed into the room. There was a man dressed similarly to the cops, minus his khaki pants and collared shirt, holding a clipboard with some papers. He looked directly at Rick and shook his head as the cops grabbed his arms.

"Rick, I thought you knew better than this. What happened to your good behavior? You didn't last a week out here."

As one of the cops dragged him towards the door, Summer came rushing over to my side, her arms doing their best to pull me into a sitting position.

"I was just trying to find my kid, Preston."

"What you did to your kid is the reason you were incarcerated. I highly doubt he wants to see you," this Preston guy started writing things down on his clipboard, motioning for the cop to take Xander's dad away. "I had higher hopes for you, Rick."

While the one cop left with Rick, the other one talked with Preston before he came towards me, helping me off the ground.

"Son, I apologize for what's happened. He will no longer be of an issue to you. Are you alright?"

I nodded my head and attempted to fix my wrinkled clothing, "I am fine, thanks. I was only helping out a friend."

"Your friend should be very appreciative. I don't know anyone that would take a beating like that for someone else," he wrote a few things down onto his little notepad, asking for my name and all that other information. He looked up from the paper and flipped to the next page. "Would you like to press charges against Mr. Lincoln?"

I thought about it for a moment before I shook my head, "No."

"Harry," Summer spoke up beside me. She carefully placed her hands on my arm as she looked up. "You should press charges. He can't just come in here like that and get away with it."

"It's not worth it, honestly."

Robert was shaking his head and Marilyn looked like she was on the verge of tears. Summer nodded in understanding after a brief moment, letting go of me and walking towards the freezer. I spoke with the officer for a little bit, as well as Preston, who I came to the conclusion was Rick's parole officer.

When the two of them finally left, Summer dragged me over to the kitchen and did her best to help clean up my face. Marilyn had made her way over to where we were standing by the kitchen sink, wanting to help out as well. I tried to waved both of them off, letting them know I could clean up myself, but they refused to move.

"Where'd you go?" I asked Summer as she dabbed a damp cloth at my eyebrow.

"I left my phone in your room. I had to make a few calls to reach his parole officer."

"You didn't need to. I could've taken the hits."

"I wasn't going to stand around and watch you get hurt. I wanted to do something to help."

There were tiny droplets of my blood on Summer's red dress, which would've been difficult to see if I hadn't already been staring at her chest. I was about to point them out to her, but Robert spoke up before I could get a word out.

"I think you're supposed to say 'thank you', Harry. This situation could've been worse if she didn't call."

Looking from him to Summer, I nodded and attempted a smile, feeling the cut at my lip open even more, "Thank you for calling, Summer."

As both Summer and Marilyn finished up cleaning my wounds and Robert continued to stand at the other side of the counter putting in his two cents to the situation, Marilyn suddenly looked around in confusion.

"What's that smell? Is something burning?"

"Oh fuck, the dessert!"

I moved Summer to the side as I grabbed a towel to pull the dish out of the oven. When I opened the door, a bunch of smoke came rushing out and into my face. I frantically waved my arm around to clear the smoke before I grabbed the dish, pulling it out and setting it on the stove.

The top of the dessert was nearly covered in a crusty black layer. The smell was awful, and I was sure the smoke detector was going to go off any second. I hurriedly turned on any and all fans in the room, with Summer and her parents watching me run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

This entire night turned into a disaster when it had been running so smoothly. I knew my luck would run out sooner or later.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry for this," I apologized as I ran my hands through my hair. Turning to look at Summer's parents, I exhaled a deep breath. "This wasn't how the night was supposed to go."

It was silent for a moment until Marilyn began to wash her hands at the sink, "No need to apologize, Harry. It has definitely been the most eventful dinner we have had in a long time."

Robert nodded in agreement, looking hesitant as he talked, "I do admire your loyalty to your friend. That was a brave thing to endure. Stupid, but admirable."

To say I was surprised at their reaction to how this night went would not quite explain how I was feeling. I was caught off guard, having expected them to tell me that the night was ruined and it was my fault. But they didn't say that.

Summer leaned her head against my chest, wrapping her arms around my waist. She didn't say anything; she just hugged me.

"What about the dessert?" I asked, looking over to the dish I pulled out of the oven. Zayn was going to be very disappointed that I totally ruined the recipe he gave me. "I had planned for us to have this."

"Well, I think we can order delivery. Right, Robert?" Marilyn smiled. "Dessert is our treat. We appreciate the effort you put into this night."

Robert slowly nodded his head before pulling his phone out of his pocket, "I suppose I can make a call."

A/N: I feel like a lot happened in this chapter lol. How do you guys feel about it? When I reread it, it reminded me of the Night Changes video when everything started to go wrong haha. Also don't kill me if I got all this parole business incorrect or it was super corny (which it totally is lol), I'm just guessing on how this official stuff works

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265K 6.3K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
80.8K 3.6K 12
{sequel to Internet Friends} to: ivy my wivey ~sent at 4:35 am~ did you know that ivy leaves can be used as medicine? because i think you're the cure...
398K 14.1K 62
❝Be honest. Be brave. And fuck shit up.❞ In the wake of her twin brother's murder, Karris Villanueva transfers schools. Out of the stressful academi...
355K 22.7K 86
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...