Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

To Garreg Mach Monastery:

277 12 14
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

Byleth stayed un-moving staring at what was formerly Fort Merceus, but now...

Nothing more than a crater in the earth.

There were still Men, Women, and soldiers inside. And they'd been killed without hesitation.

It made Byleth sick.

"Emile!" Mercedes's cry rang through Byleth's head, she turned to the direction of her voice.

Mercedes had approached Dimitri who was carrying the hopefully unconscious body of the Death Knight. Dimitri set him down in the dirt so that Mercedes would be able to do whatever she needed to; in case he was gravely injured by Dimitri's strike.

In all honesty she was a bit surprised that his attack had been able to get the Death Knight down so quickly, but I suppose after their fight earlier, and all of the running there really wasn't much of a fight left in him.

Byleth slowly walked over to the two of them, "Is he alive?" she asked.

Mercedes quickly got rid of the helmet covering his face, "Oh, Emile..." she said softly while cupping his cheek.

Jeritza, that is definitely Jeritza.

Dimitri shifted around uncomfortably as Mercedes was checking whether or not he was still alive. "Mercedes, I'm sorry..." Dimitri began.

Mercedes shook her head, "Don't be Dimitri" she said "He's still breathing" she added.

Dimitri nodded but remained silent, they both stood there watching Mercedes casting healing spells on him. "Why are you healing the Death Knight?" Felix interrogated while glaring sternly at Mercedes with his arms crossed.

"Felix" Dimitri said in a serious tone.

Felix frowned at him, "We just fought against him, it doesn't make sense to be trying to revive him" he said sternly.

Dimitri shook his head and opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by Mercedes. "I'm sorry if this bothers you Felix, but I refuse to let my Brother die" Mercedes said in a firm voice.

Felix stood there silently for a moment, he looked like he wanted to press the issue further, but thankfully he didn't. Felix simply nodded and went to rejoin where the others stood still trying to comprehend what had just happened.

Byleth let out a sigh of relief, Dimitri remained close to the Death Knight and Mercedes, she figured it was in case he woke up and tried to harm anyone.

Claude and Hilda came up beside Byleth, "I can' t believe it..." Hilda whispered.

Claude remained silent and kept his eyes trained on the fort.

"Hey, kiddo!" a loud voice called out, Byleth turned to see Nader heading their way "What was with that... javelin of... light?" Nader asked.

Claude had a frown on his face, "Javelin of light... That describes it pretty well. The fortress was supposedly impregnable but look at it now" he sighed "It's hard to imagine that the Empire would do something like that. But if not them, then who?" Claude said.

Byleth was certain Claude knew the answer. She knew the answer herself, or maybe she just didn't want to conclude that Edelgard could have done it.

No, there was no way.

Byleth was certain it was that mysterious group.

"And for what purpose? If they wanted to kill us, then why wait until now to use it?" Claude questioned.

Hilda furrowed her eyebrows, "We almost died right now... and without an answer to any of that" she sighed then paused for a moment glancing at Nader, "But first things first" she said "What is he doing here?!" she questioned and pointed to Nader.

Nader shifted uncomfortably for a moment, "I'll go ahead and see my subordinates off to Almyra, kiddo" he said to Claude, patting him on the shoulder before he attempted to take off.

Claude frowned, "Wait, Nader! Are you really just going to leave me here and run away?" he said sternly.

Nader laughed, "I hope to see you all again, I'll be praying for your safety" he said before he ran off.

Hilda's eyes were wide, "Nader! as in Nader the unstoppable?!" she said in shock.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "Unstoppable?" she questioned.

Claude shook his head, "It's actually Nader the Undefeated" he said "Almyrans love grand titles" he added.

"Perhaps we should move this conversation to a safer location" Dimitri called out to them "In case another one of those things falls from the heavens" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Claude, Dimitri is right" she said "We need to get away from this area, we also need to find the rest of our army" she sighed "I just hope they managed to get away" Byleth added.

Claude nodded, "Yeah, I know" he sighed while pinching the bridge of his nose "We should begin heading back to Garreg Mach since we're split from everyone else" he said "They are probably thinking to do the same" he added.

Dimitri nodded, "That would be best, especially since we have the Death Knight... Er, Jeritza with us now" he said.

"Do we have any restraints with us?" Claude asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "No, they were with the rest of the army" he replied.

"How long do you estimate that he might be unconscious for?" Byleth asked Mercedes.

Mercedes rubbed her forehead, "I can't say for certain, but my best guess maybe a day or two" she replied.

Byleth nodded, "Alright we'll have to leave for Garreg Mach immediately," she said.

Dimitri lifted Jeritza back over his shoulders, "Right" he said.

"Um, Dimitri, perhaps we should take him out of his armor, so it doesn't injure you" Byleth suggested after noticing the rugged sharp armor that the Death Knight wears.

Mercedes let out a gasp, "Oh, I'm so sorry Dimitri" she said "I hadn't even realized" she added.

Dimitri gave her a reassuring smile, "No need to apologize, I'm fine" he said and lowered Jeritza back on the floor so Mercedes could begin removing his armor. Once finished Dimitri lifted him back over his shoulders.

Byleth looked back at their friends, they still stood there chatting amongst themselves staring at once Fort Merceus. She hoped that the rest of their army was ok, perhaps they never even made it in the Fort, she looked at them. They consisted of Bernadette, Claude, Dedue, Dimitri, Felix, Hilda, Ingrid, Lysithea, Mercedes, Sylvain, and herself.

They were a formidable team so getting to the monastery shouldn't be a hassle.

"I'll tell the others we are leaving" Claude said distracting Byleth's train of thought, "You guys should probably go ahead of us, since the others might not be ok being around the Death Knight, no offence Mercedes" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Alright we'll do that then" she said then turned to Hilda "Are you coming with us or Claude?" she asked.

Hilda looked at Claude and frowned, "I'll go with you guys Byleth" Hilda said there was an edge to her tone, Byleth figured she was upset about the whole Nader thing.

Now that Byleth thought about it, aren't the Goneril's typically the ones who must deal with the Almyrans? Like sworn enemies they fought, only to find out they are now allies, she must have some thoughts on the matter. And knowing Hilda, Byleth was going to be hearing them the whole way to the monastery.

Dimitri:

The trip back to the monastery had begun, they initially intended to return to the Monastery once the war with the Empire was over, but that plan wasn't going to pan out. Especially after what they witnessed at Fort Merceus. Not only that but half of their army is missing, possibly dead. There is no way that they would be able to continue their assault on the Empire with the little manpower they had.

Dimitri continued they were walking to the monastery; it wasn't too far from Fort Merceus but they also didn't have any of the supplies so they would have to make do with the natural resources that the earth provided. He remembered learning a long time ago that there are certain types of weeds that are edible if circumstances get that dire. Although, when he told Dedue the idea, Dedue frowned at him slightly and told him not to eat the grass.

"Did you know?" the question from the conversation in front of him between Byleth and Hilda caught Dimitri's attention. "About Nader being an Almyran general?" Hilda asked, specifying her question.

Byleth shook her head, "No, I didn't," she said.

Hilda groaned, "Freaking Claude" she said "I can't believe he didn't tell us sooner" she added.

Byleth shrugged, "Claude has his secrets" she said nonchalantly.

"And that doesn't bother you?" Hilda questioned then sighed "I suppose not since you have secrets of your own" she added.

Dimitri saw Byleth's body tense up, "That's not fair" she said sternly.

Hilda sighed, "You're right, I'm sorry" she said "I'm just projecting my anger at Claude onto you which isn't fair" she added.

Byleth didn't reply to her, Hilda continued talking for a while longer and Byleth remained silent simply nodding her head occasionally.

Dimitri watched Byleth's disinterest in her friend's conversation, why did mentioning having a secret hold such a strong effect on her?

His interest was piqued that was for sure, but it's not like he could exactly go up to Byleth and ask her. Sure, she was speaking to him more freely now, but there was still the apprehension and well, Dimitri couldn't blame her.

Dammit, he really shouldn't have raised Areadbhar at Claude earlier, joke or not.

Dimitri sighed.

"Your Highness" Dedue called out, from behind him. Dedue had left from the group of the others to join in the one holding the Death Knight, "Would you like me to take over carrying the Death Knight?" Dedue asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "There is no need Dedue" he said "I'm sure we will be stopping for the night soon" he added.

Dedue frowned at him, "Your Highness, it's rather unfitting for you to be doing something such as this" he said.

Dimitri sighed, "Dedue, my crest allows me to carry heavy things with ease and to have high stamina" Dimitri said "It makes the most sense for me to be the one to carry Jeritza" he said sternly.

Dedue kept his frown but didn't object, "Alright, but if it becomes too much, I will take over for you Your Highness" he said.

Dimitri nodded, he chalked this up to a win. Being a Prince didn't mean he was some frail object that needed to be protected. He was far from that; Dimitri is a weapon.

A beast.

A monster.

He knows this.

It makes Dimitri wonder why Dedue thinks he needs protecting in the first place, he's certain that Dedue has opinions toward his behavior these last five years.

So, why... Why does Dedue still treat him as a child that needs protecting

No, that doesn't matter.

The sun was beginning to set, "Hey you guys" Claude's voice called out, Dimitri turned to see Claude coming their way. "We need to stop for the night, I'm certain everyone is feeling tired" he added.

Everyone stopped walking, Hilda turned to Claude "Um are you suggesting that we sleep out in the open?" Hilda said in shock.

Claude nodded and smiled "Yup that's exactly what I am suggesting since we don't have any tents" he said.

They were roughly in between Varley and Bergliez territory, they would probably reach the monastery by late evening or nightfall tomorrow.

But right now, they didn't need to worry about that, all they had to so at the moment was rest.

Mercedes took up camp hovering over her unconscious Brother, and everyone else broke into little small groups chatting amongst each other. Dimitri looked around and saw Byleth a bit further from everyone else lounging in the grass, he stared at her from a distance.

She always seems so unapproachable, like how she was when he first met Byleth at the officer's academy. And lately it seems as if she has been reverting to her former indifference towards everyone, it was rare to see her try to engage in a conversation with someone nowadays.

Dimitri stood up, he wanted to help her. The goddess knows she has helped him countless times before, he just needs to remind her. Dimitri walked over to her slowly, why did it have to be so hard to approach her, he feels like a love-struck schoolboy again.

"Byleth" Dimitri said as he approached her.

Byleth opened one of her eyes to look at who had come to disturb her peace, "Dimitri" she said "Do you need my assistance with something?" he asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "No, I just came to sit with you if that's alright" he said and waited for her response.

Byleth nodded, "Yeah, that's fine I don't care" she said.

She doesn't care.

That stung a bit, Dimitri had to admit. (Ha it rhymes)

Dimitri sat down beside her, "It's a lovely night, is it not?" Dimitri said, trying to get a conversation from her.

Byleth sighed, "Dimitri we are not doing this right now" she said.

Dimitri frowned, "Doing what?" he asked.

"Whatever lecture you are going to try to give me, I don't want to deal with it," Byleth said.

Dimitri let out a small laugh, "What makes you think I am trying to lecture you?" he asked

Byleth shrugged, "I just figured since earlier when you were fighting the Death Knight, and I called him away" she said.

Dimitri shook his head, "I had forgotten about that in all honesty" he said "After witnessing Fort Merceus being reduced to a crater it put things in perspective" he added.

Byleth nodded, "I suppose it does," she said.

The two of them sat in silence for a moment, "Do you think it was the Empire's doing?" Dimitri asked.

Byleth raised an eyebrow at Dimitri, "Why, do you want the answer going to make you want to hang Edelgard's head from the gates of Enbarr?" she asked in a monotone voice.

"I can't tell if that was an attempt at humor or not," Dimitri said.

Byleth shrugged her shoulders, "Take it how you'd like" she said "And no, I do not think it was them" she added.

Dimitri plucked at the grass, "How can you be so sure?" he asked.

"I don't think that the Empire has the resources to explode Fort Merceus" Byleth said "Plus it reminds me about something I read from a book about Ailell" she said.

Dimitri frowned, "What was it about?" he asked, confused what Ailell had to do with this.

"The pillars of light that fell from the sky" Byleth said.

Dimitri furrowed his eyebrows, someone had said that on the trip to Ailell, he was certain of it.

Eh, it didn't really matter who.

"So it was that mysterious group" Dimitri said.

Byleth yawned, "That's had to say Dimitri" she said "But from what I've gathered it's not an impossible conclusion to jump to" she added then paused for a moment "Dimitri, I'm too tired to continue this conversation" Byleth said "We'll pick it up another time, possibly when we have more information" she added.

Dimitri nodded, he watched as she laid down on the grass to sleep. After a few minutes he heard the sound of her faint snoring, cute. Dimitri chuckled and un-clipped his cape from his armor and covered Byleth with it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 32 12
Jeralt had gone through so much and has gone through the struggles of being a single, widowed father. He watched as his only daughter and child, Byle...
52.2K 751 19
in the monastery they being Heard rumors about a new transfer student would Join the house either black Eagle,blue lion and Golden dear, but when the...
39.7K 1.6K 110
Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her beloved daughter Byleth. In a turn of event...
22.3K 427 25
A transfer student, Kendall Carvalho, enrolls in the Officers Academy at Garreg Mach. She didn't know what to expect on her first day, many surprises...