Inked In | A HP fanfiction

By _Anodite_

Maxima King had The Perfect Life. Cause honestly; Blue eyes? Blonde hair? Spectacular at sports? Amazing at... More

DISCLAIMER
Maxima Aurelia King
Every Story has a Prologue
That's a cliched trope
shitshitSHITFUCKFUCKFUUUCK(I'mSorry!)
*hysterical laughter*
I wish I had coffee
Girls, Girls, You're both Pretty
Let's get to it!
Closure
(Bittersweet)Memories
Politicking
Natural Nerves
Slytherins, it's time to RISE UP
First days and First Impressions
Brain Cells and Red Stains
Changes
"I'm pretty sure that's illegal..."

Messages in the Waffle

21 2 0
By _Anodite_

As they sat in the carriage, Maxima noticed that it was only Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Theodore, Draco, Luna and Harry. "Did anyone see that Grubbly-Plank woman?" asked Ginny with a worried look, "Hagrid can't have left, can he?"

Maxima looked outside to the silent Thestrals when she heard Theodore reply, "I don't quite know."

"I'll be quite glad if he has," said Luna, "he isn't a very good teacher, is he?"

"Yes, he is!" said Maxima, Harry, Ron, Blaise and Ginny angrily.

Harry glared at Hermione. She cleared her throat and quickly said, "Erm ... yes ... he's very good."

Maxima had glared at Draco who turned slightly pink and said, "Well, he does have a passion for the subject, I suppose."

Maxima nodded before turning to Luna with a fierce expression, "He's brilliant and while he does sometimes not know what's dangerous, he's absolutely amazing."

"Well, we in Ravenclaw think he's a bit of a joke," said Luna, unfazed.

"You've got a rubbish sense of humour then," Ron snapped, as the wheels below them creaked into motion.

Luna didn't seem fazed, she just stared at Ron as though he were a puzzle. Maxima cleared her throat and turned to the window.

Rattling and swaying, the carriages moved in convoy up the road. When they passed between the tall stone pillars topped with winged boars on either side of the gates to the school grounds, Maxima leaned around to see Hogwarts in its beauty. Hogwarts Castle came ever so closer: a towering mass of turrets, jet black against the dark sky, here and there a window blazing fiery bright above them. It was something out of a fantasy book, Maxima giggled in her mind at that joke. She would draw this later definitely. Shades of black with warm tones of orange lanterns and lights. Yeah, maybe she'll turn it into a poster.

The carriages halted near the huge oak doors. Maxima took a deep breath in as Poseidon got up, ready to move. Harry got out first and everyone followed. Maxima was the last one out as Poseidon rushed out before her. She closed her eyes before opening them to gaze at the castle of her dreams. Maxima smiled as she walked up to the castle. Most girls dreamed of castles with their prince and balls where they could dance their night away. Maxima had only one castle in her mind, Hogwarts.

Once she entered she noticed that the Entrance Hall was ablaze with torches and echoing with footsteps as the students crossed the flagged stone floor for the double doors to the right, leading to the Great Hall and the start-of-term feast.

The four long house tables in the Great Hall were filling up under the starless black ceiling, which was just like the sky they could glimpse through the high windows. Candles floated in midair all along the tables, illuminating the silvery ghosts who were dotted about the Hall and the faces of the students talking eagerly, exchanging summer news, shouting greetings at friends from other houses, eyeing one another's new haircuts and robes. Maxima smiled but it fell as she saw people whispering and staring at them.

Luna drifted away to the Ravenclaw table, Harry and the Gryffindors went to their respective tables. Draco and Maxima went to their table and sat near the other fifth years halfway from each end. Chatter had started on all tables. Professor Dumbledore was talking to Umbitch . He was dressed okay for once, purple robes with silver embroidery. When Maxima saw the sight of Umbridge she took a breath in to calm the fashionista inside of her.

Daphne looked away from the Teacher's table and into her spoon while facing them, "Is it me or is that toad wearing pink in those shades and style?"

Maxima grimaced as she turned to look at Daphne, "It's not just you. That woman has no sense of style. If she wanted pink, she should have some contrast! Not to mention a closed cardigan over robes? Idiotic. If it were me and I wanted pink, I suppose I would wear a lush pink robe, with a black pencil skirt and opaque aqua blue tights and cardigan, it'd remain open I suppose. And if I had to pick something for the head, a beret would be chic. Better than whatever she's wearing."

Maxima looked to the others who were smirking and hiding their laughs. Daphne bared her teeth in a fierce smile, "You and I, are gonna be best friends!"

Maxima return the smile in full force and replied slowly, "Wonderful."

Draco leaned forward to make eye contact with Blaise and Theodore, "We're doomed."

Maxima blinked innocently, "What?" as she and Daphne giggled. Millicent groaned, "Why could she have liked quidditch!?"

Maxima looked to Millicent, "I like quidditch too! They're not exclusive! What's your favourite position?" Maxima ignored Theodore grinning at her and wiggling his eyebrows.

Millicent half smiled, "Beater. You?"

"Keeper. We'll have to play sometime. I think I'll try out this year. You?"

Millicent shook her head, "I like to play for fun, Hogwarts gets toxic about the whole thing. I'd rather not."

Maxima shrugged and turned to the main conversation as did Millicent. Draco leaned a little back so she could see the others. She smiled at him in thanks and he smiled back. Blaise leaned forward, "So anyone know who the horribly dressed woman, Maxima's words not mine; although she's right, is?"

Daphne clucked her tongue as Draco made a 'tsk' sound. Theodore hummed irritatedly. Millicent rolled her eyes.

Blaise laughed softly, "So, that's a no. Maxima?"

Maxima let a breath, "A ministry official, I'm betting." Maxima scanned the table and her eye caught onto Professor Grubbly-Plank who had just appeared behind the staff table; she worked her way along to the very end and took the seat that ought to have been Hagrid's. That meant the first-years must have crossed the lake and reached the castle, and sure enough, a few seconds later, the doors from the Entrance Hall opened. A long line of scared-looking first-years entered, led by Professor McGonagall, who was carrying a stool on which sat an ancient wizards hat, heavily patched and darned with a wide rip near the frayed brim.

The sorting hat, Maxima smiled. The chatter and buzz of the hall faded away. The first years were all lined up and looked nervous. They must be wondering what was going on. Maxima let out an amused breath.

The whole school waited with bated breath. Then the rip near the hat's brim opened wide like a mouth and the Sorting Hat burst into song:

"In times of old when I was new
And Hogwarts barely started
The founders of our noble school
Thought never to be parted:

United by a common goal,
They had the selfsame yearning,
To make the world's best magic school
And pass along their learning.

'Together we will build and teach!'
The four good friends decided
And never did they dream that they
Might someday be divided,

For were there such friends anywhere
As Slytherin and Gryffindor?
Unless it was the second pair
Of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw?

So how could it have gone so wrong?
How could such friendships fail?
Why, I was there and so can tell
The whole sad, sorry tale.

Said Slytherin, 'We'll teach just those
Whose ancestry is purest.'
Said Ravenclaw, 'We'll teach those whose
Intelligence is surest. '

Said Gryffindor, 'We'll teach all those
With brave deeds to their name, '
Said Hufflepuff, 'I'll teach the lot,
And treat them just the same. '

These differences caused little strife
When first they came to light,
For each of the four founders had
A house in which they might

Take only those they wanted, so,
For instance, Slytherin
Took only those wixens
Of great cunning, just like him,

And only those of sharpest mind
Were taught by Ravenclaw
While the bravest and the boldest
Went to daring Gryffindor.

Good Hufflepuff, she took the rest,
And taught them all she knew,
Thus the houses and their founders
Retained friendships firm and true.

So Hogwarts worked in harmony
For several happy years,
But then discord crept among us
Feeding on our faults and fears.

The houses that, like pillars four,
Had once held up our school,
Now turned upon each other and,
Divided, sought to rule.

And for a while, it seemed the school
Must meet an early end,
What with duelling and with fighting
And the clash of friend on friend

And at last there came a morning
When old Slytherin departed
And though the fighting then died out
He left us quite downhearted.

And never since the founders four
Were whittled down to three
Have the houses been united
As they once were meant to be.

And now the Sorting Hat is here
And you all know the score:
I sort you into houses
Because that is what I'm for,

But this year I'll go further,
Listen closely to my song:
Though condemned I am to split you
Still, I worry that it's wrong,

Though I must fulfil my duty
And must quarter every year
Still, I wonder whether Sorting
May not bring the end I fear.

Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
The warning history shows,
For our, Hogwarts is in danger
From external, deadly foes

And we must unite inside her
Or we'll crumble from within
I have told you, I have warned you...
Let the Sorting now begin."

The applause that rang out was littered with whispers and confusion, Maxima looked to the Gryffindor table where Harry, Ron and Hermione were looking at them. The others sitting near Maxima saw as well and nodded once at them. Harry nodded back and looked at Maxima who was smiling.

Soon, the muttering ended and names were called out. She could feel her stomach rumble. Soon enough, Dumbledore rose to greet them.

"To our newcomers," said Dumbledore in a ringing voice, his arms stretched wide and a beaming smile on his lips, 'welcome! To our old hands--welcome back! There is a time for speech-making, but this is not it. Tuck in!"

There was an appreciative laugh from all tables. The word had been spread then, she looked to Draco who was smirking proudly at her. She bumped their shoulders. "Thanks for the headstart," Maxima whispered.

"No problem," he whispered back.

Maxima saw Dumbledore throw his beard back and she felt the strange urge to laugh. She caught Daphne's eye and they smothered their giggles.

They enjoyed their food in enjoyable silence and occasionally started talking to ask about each other's holidays. When all the students had finished eating and the noise level in the Hall was starting to creep upwards again, Dumbledore got to his feet once more. Talking ceased immediately as all turned to face the Headmaster. Maxima felt a little sleepy but she could hear the 'Waffle speech'.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices,' said Dumbledore. 'First-years ought to know that the Forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students--and a few of our older students ought to know by now, too."

Maxima smirked, like hell will that stop her.

"Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four-hundred-and-sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are several other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr Filch's office door. We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Their whole group muttered a 'Called it' when Dumbledore announced her as the DADA Professor.

Dumbledore continued, "Tryouts for the house Quidditch teams will take place on the-"

He broke off, looking enquiringly at Professor Umbridge. As she was not much taller standing than sitting, there was a moment when nobody understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then Professor Umbridge cleared her throat, 'Hem, hem,' and it became clear that she had got to her feet and was intending to make a speech. The audacity! Maxima thought.

Dumbledore only looked taken aback for a moment, then he sat down smartly and looked alertly at Professor Umbridge as though he desired nothing better than to listen to her talk. Other members of staff were not as adept at hiding their surprise. Professor Sprout's eyebrows had disappeared into her flyaway hair and Professor McGonagall's mouth was as thin as Maxima had ever seen it. No new teacher had ever interrupted Dumbledore before. Many of the students were smirking; this woman obviously did not know how things were done at Hogwarts.

The Slytherin table looked amused but worried, that much Maxima could tell. A few looked to where Maxima was sitting but Maxima didn't pay them much attention. She was irritated, she had dearly wished that this didn't happen but it did.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Umbridge simpered, 'for those kind words of welcome." Her voice was high-pitched, breathy and girlish. What was this woman trying? Maxima's eyebrows shot up.

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking up at me!"

Maxima's left eye must've twitched cause she had to blink to get rid of the water she was collecting due to her incredulous stare. She had read about this but...seeing it was, something else.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"

Daphne let out an amused huff, "Yeah right, stay away from me, you fashion disaster."

Maxima looked to Daphne, "Is this woman for real?"

Daphne's face gained a pitying expression, "I'm afraid, she is."

Maxima turned to the woman, who had done another 'hem hem', "I think she needs a cough drop."

But when she continued, some of the breathiness had vanished from her voice. She sounded much more businesslike and now her words had a dull learned-by-heart sound to them.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the wizarding community must be passed down the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."

Professor Umbridge paused here and made a little bow to her fellow staff members, none of whom bowed back to her. Professor McGonagall's dark eyebrows had contracted so that she looked positively hawklike, and Harry distinctly saw her exchange a significant glance with Professor Sprout as Umbridge gave another little 'hem, hem' and went on with her speech.

"Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation...."

As the woman continued, Maxima looked around while keeping an ear open. Girls at various tables were giggling and few prefects while acting like they were concentrating though their glassy eyes said otherwise. The silence made by Dumbledore was ebbing away and low chatter had made its way in. While looking around, Harry caught her eyes and she signalled for him to listen because the words spewing out were not good.

"...because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognised as errors of judgement. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited."

She sat down. Dumbledore clapped. The staff followed his lead, though they clapped once or twice before stopping. A few students joined in, but most had been taken unawares by the end of the speech, not having listened to more than a few words of it, and before they could start applauding properly, Dumbledore had stood up again.

"Thank you very much, Professor Umbridge, that was most illuminating," he said, bowing to her. "Now, as I was saying, Quidditch tryouts will be held ..."

Maxima had her mask in her place, "We can all agree that that speech was no good."

They nodded and Draco spoke up, "Hogwarts, our home, is being invaded by the ministry. As the hat said, time to unite."

Theodore smirked, "Time to 'Spread the Word'?"

Daphne and Millicent nodded. Blaise smirked, "Most definitely."

Dumbledore dismissed them and Draco groaned shortly, told them the password (" It's 'Unity'.") and softly before joining Parkinson to lead the first years.

(A/N): Hey all, how are you! Hope you're doing good and having a good time! 

If you are, brilliant! Here's a chapter

If not, Enjoy this chapter. Maybe it'll lift your spirits. Though Umbitch is here so....meh, try not to get irritated

Laugh Loud and Be Proud.
Laterz~

Word Count: 2869 (nice)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.8K 1K 15
A wizard has spent 12 years in a wizarding Prison called Azkaban. For a crime that he did not commit. That wizard is Sirius Black. He learns that Sna...
12.3K 647 29
ᵃⁿᵈ ⁱᶠ ⁱ ᵈⁱᵈⁿ'ᵗ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ⁱ'ᵈ ᵗʰⁱⁿᵏ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵉʳᵉ ᵗᵃˡᵏⁱⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵉ ⁿᵒʷ ⁱᶠ ⁱ ᵈⁱᵈⁿ'ᵗ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ⁱ'ᵈ ᵗʰⁱⁿᵏ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵉʳᵉ ˢᵗⁱˡˡ ᵃʳᵒᵘⁿᵈ ...
Brave [2] By Kat.

Fanfiction

8.7K 596 108
"You think seeing the future is a blessing? It's a curse, and I don't have a choice in the things I see happen, in the things I see myself do. How ma...