Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

The Battle at Fort Merceus:

302 12 4
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Claude:

Claude and a few of the Alliance soldiers split from the group before they reached the gates to Fort Merceus. They entered through the Northern part of Fort Merceus.

Soon...

They should be here soon, in the distance Claude could hear yelling and assumed that the clash was about to begin.

"You let them in? Make haste and slaughter them all" the Death Knight called out, he seemed to be speaking to someone, but the only voice Claude heard was his voice. "They are enemies. Slaughter them all. I will not say it again" the Death Knight commanded.

Right away the scream and clashing of blades began to sound, but Claude had to pay attention.

They should be here by now...

As if right on cue, the sound of war horses trotting fills the air from behind the Alliance army. Claude turns around and sees a good-sized army of war horses and Wyverns heading their way.

A man wearing neutral green colors emerges at the front of the line of horses, he raises his right arm at Claude.

It took Nardel long enough.

Claude begins walking towards them, behind him he can hear the gasps of his soldiers unsure of what to make of an Almyran army emerging seemingly out of thin air.

Nardel is staring Claude down, and he sees him pull out his bow.

Claude does the same.

Both draw their bow, he can't quite tell who was the fastest of the two, but it doesn't matter. The arrows clash together.

The sound of the splintering wood is deafening.

Claude quickly draws his sword and begins running as fast as he can in the direction of Nardel.

Nardel sees this and drops his bow, and pulls out a sword, he's ready to strike.

Claude jumps before he lands a blow on Nardel to give him the upper hand since he rode in on a horse.

Their swords clash together, the impact pushes them back.

Neither of them puts their blades down and Nardel hops down from his mount, "I see your skills haven't dulled yet, kiddo" Nardel calls out.

Claude is mildly offended at the accusation that he wouldn't preserve his battle prowess, "What did you expect?" he replies then laughs.

Claude is the first to lower his blade, then turns to the open-mouthed Alliance army "Everyone, listen up!" he shouts "For now on the Almyran forces will be fighting by our side!" he declares. The look of shock is plastered amongst the faces of some of the soldiers he can see, Claude turns back and looks to the Almyran army "We'll work as one! And we will bring down that Fort together!" he shouts. To Claude's surprise a cheer ripples through the Almyran army, while the Alliance army is still in utter shock... No disbelief.

Nardel quickly catches up to where Claude is, "Lead the way" he said.

Claude nods, and the two of them make their way to the front of the Alliance army.

"An impregnable fortress is a wide-open prairie once you get inside. From here, we'll attack from the North, while the others attack from the South" Claude said to Nardel.

Nardel had a confused look on his face, "No different than a prairie, you say? Heh! You've got a strange head on your shoulders, kiddo" he said.

Claude smiled at him, "For Nader the Undefeated, this should be as easy as a walk in the meadow, right?" Claude teased.

Nardel shakes his head, "Heh. Well goddess or death god or whatever they may be, let's crush them to dust" he said and then rushed forward at some nearby soldiers.

Felix:

Felix had never bothered to put on the Imperial uniform, he was further in the back, he figured by the time he got through the gates of Fort Merceus the fighting would have begun.

And it did, so Felix didn't have to go through the hassle of removing it.

The second Felix crosses through the gates of Fort Merceus he is met with the sight of fighting, he lunges at a nearby imperial soldier. Felix is able to take them down swiftly and efficiently, all that matters is killing the foe. Not making them suffer.

In a distance Felix sees Byleth's friend, the one with pink hair... What's her name again?

He draws closer to her.

"Hilda! Hilda! Hilda!" she chants as she crushes her opponent with her axe.

Right, Hilda.

How could he forget.

Hilda's kills are far more gruesome than Felix's, but it also has to do with weapon choice, "Nice job" Felix said to her as he approached her.

Felix has yet to see anyone else from their ranks, so it might be best to stay together although he would have preferred going at it alone.

Hilda turns and looks at Felix, "I'm still a delicate flower you know" she huffs.

Felix looked at the soldier on the floor, "That says otherwise" he said and gestured to him, Hilda frowned at Felix. "Anyways, come on we need to find the others" he said.

Hilda shook her head, "No, we need to stop reinforcements first" she said sternly and pointed off to the left of where they were "I think they're coming from that direction" she added.

Felix nodded, "Alright, let's go then" he said and began leading the way.

Mercedes:

Mercedes had been in the front of the march into Fort Merceus, she had seen Byleth and Dimitri take off down one of the paths leading them further into the Fort, she tried to go after them but it didn't work out in her favor.

The Empire soldier quickly blocked off that path and if she wanted to go through it, she would need to fight through it.

Luckily, Mercedes didn't have to get close to her opponents to take them down.

From a good distance she was able to take down one of the soldiers blocking her path, but the other remained, she was about to cast a Ragnarok spell at him but was distracted.

"Mercedes" A deep voice shouted from behind her, she turned to see Dedue alongside Ingrid. She looked back at the soldier but decided it was best to join them before going any further. So, Mercedes walked over to Dedue and Ingrid.

"Have you seen any of our allies?" Ingrid asks as she approaches them.

Mercedes nods, "Yes, I just say Byleth and Dimitri heading that way" she said and gestured to the area she came from "Soldiers were quick to cover it though" she added.

"We must join his Highness" Dedue said.

"I agree," Mercedes said.

Ingrid shook her head, "I understand we should get to His Highness as soon as possible but... We need to stay here and fight as well" Ingrid said "Before the Imperial soldiers overwhelm this area" she added.

Mercedes looked around, there were a lot of Empire soldiers now that Ingrid mentioned it. Dedue looks to be realizing that as well. She is a bit surprised that none of them had thought to attack them while they are standing idly by.

"You are right" Dedue said "His Highness is strong, he will be fine for the time being" he adds, although Mercedes is certain that is more to himself than the others.

Ingrid nods in agreement, "His Highness will be fine" she said "Plus he has Byleth fighting alongside him, I doubt anyone will be able to take either one of them out" she adds.

"Alright" Mercedes said "Let's secure this area" she adds.

Sylvain:

Sylvain was a lucky man.

He had known that from a young age.

But every once in a while, he forgot that, but alas luck was on his side.

Sylvain had trekked his way through the mess of Imperial soldiers till he reached the western part of Fort Merceus, he figured it would be best to come to this side and fight, let the others clear out the mess at the entrance gate.

Sylvain had swung his lance at nearby Imperial soldiers, and they fell.

They always fell...

The Lance of Ruins pulsed in his hand, a reminder not to let his thoughts wander.

Do what your blood has destined for you.

"Ha got' em" a voice behind Sylvain shouted, he turned to see a soldier behind him slump to the floor.

An axe still in their hand.

Further he saw Bernadette and Lysithea, who were now heading his way.

"You really shouldn't have strayed this far" Lysithea scolded, "If Bernadetta didn't have a good shot that would have been you" she added sternly.

Sylvain nodded, "I know" he sighed "Thanks... Both of you" he said.

Lysithea maintained her frown and Bernadetta smiled weakly at him, she hated having to dispose of people he had learned that not too long ago. "I'm glad we reached you on time," Bernadetta said.

"We were worried we wouldn't be able to reach you in time" Lysithea said, her frown fell a little showing more concern than anger.

Sylvain felt a little guilty, "Heh, I feel a bit bad having worried two lovely ladies such as yourselves over my well- being" he said.

Lysithea groaned, "If you weren't on our side I would have you burnt to a smithereens" she threatened.

"Um guys" Bernadetta squeaked "Now might not be a good time to argue" she said "I'm fairly certain that there are reinforcements heading our way" she added.

Sylvain turned around, Bernadetta was right.

There was another gated entrance there and reinforcements were coming through, dammit.

"Come on you guys, no use waiting around for them to come to us" Lysithea said.

Bernadetta nodded, Sylvain could see the slight fear in her face "You're right" she said and lifted her bow, "We have to stop them from getting in" she added.

Lysithea smiled, "Yup, and the three of us together should be able to do that" she said.

Sylvain nodded his head, "Yup, I'll be sure no harm comes to either of you" he said with a wink.

Bernadetta eased a bit at his proclamation and Lysithea grimace but they all stood beside each other and headed to the incoming soldiers.

Dimitri:

Byleth and Dimitri walked side by side, it was only for a few moments before they were met with enemy forces.

"Dimitri" Byleth whispered, he turned and looked to her "Calvary unit" she said and pointed off in the distance.

Dimitri nodded, "Noted" he said, the soldier was charging at them now, with Byleth's free hand she cast a spell and soon a green and yellow light engulfed the area around the soldier. Once the light faded and they saw the soldier was still standing Dimitri lunged at him swinging Areadbhar.

The battle was short lived.

Byleth jogged up to his side, Dimitri turned to her "What spell is that?" he asked "I'd seen Rodrigue use it a few times" he added sadly, now thinking about his Father figure.

"Oh, it's called Aura I think" she said scrunching her face a bit, trying to recall "Yeah, no I'm fairly certain that's what Marianne called it" she added.

Dimitri smiled at her, "Regardless it was impressive" he said "I didn't realize how proficient you have become at wielding magic" he added.

Byleth looked away, "Yeah..." she said softly "Anyways, we need to get to Claude and there are more soldiers heading our way" she said "I'll take the swordsman, you take the Cavalry unit over there" she added and pointed off to the left side of where they were.

Dimitri nodded, "Of course" he said and took off in the direction Byleth told him.

Dimitri raised his lance at the soldier and swung, he immediately fell from his horse onto the floor. The soldier quickly got up and raised his lance to stand up to Dimitri. By the fear that showed in his eyes Dimitri knew he could tell who he was.

Dimitri raised his lance, but stood there for a moment, glaring at his opponent.

The soldier... No, kid if he were being honest stood there watching him.

"I won't give you another chance, leave" Dimitri said sternly.

The soldier's eyes grew wide, at the chance of survival. But he shook his head, "No, I cannot" the soldier said and gripped his lance harder "For the Emperor" he shouted and lunged at Dimitri.

Dimitri shut his eyes briefly and dodged the attack and struck down the soldier "I'm sorry but I must" Dimitri whispered as the light left from the soldiers eyes.

He stood over the body of the fallen Imperial soldier, he couldn't have been over seventeen if that.

To think such a young life lost to such a cause, it made Dimitri's stomach churn. He felt a hand placed on his shoulder, he turned to see that it wasn't another soldier, but Byleth. Her eyebrows were furrowed, and concern was plastered on her face.

"Are you alright?" she asked "Did you get hurt?" she added.

Dimitri shook his head, "No I'm alright" he replied and smiled weakly at her, she looked at the floor where the soldier was.

"He looks quite young" Byleth said, he could see the grimace she tried to keep off.

Dimitri's head lowered, "I know..." he said softly "I tried to spare him, but... He wouldn't back down" he said.

Byleth nodded, "I know, I saw" she sighed "I'm sorry Dimitri, but it's the reality of war" she said "No matter how hard we try... sometimes not everyone can be saved" she added. They stood in silence for a few moments, "Come on, we must continue on" Byleth said.

Dimitri nodded and followed after her.

Claude:

Claude and Nardel were immediately bombarded with some type of spell, based on how fast it came at them he was certain there was a ballista nearby.

"Are you alright Nader?" Claude asked.

Nardel nodded, "Heh, don't worry about me kiddo" he said "It'll take more than a little magic to get me immobile" he added.

Claude nodded then took to the skies, he needed to find that mage who was working the ballistics fast, especially if Claude was going to be riding his Wyvern like this. Having someone that could knock him off the Wyvern easily is dangerous, therefore needs to be removed immediately.

Luckily, the mage who was manning the ballistics was incredibly close to where Claude and Nardel had entered through. Claude drew his bow and began firing at the mage, it took two hits before he crumpled to the floor.

They were safe from ballistics for now. In the distance Claude sees minty green hair.

Byleth.

Huh, she got far into Fort Merceus in such a short amount of time, then he realizes that Dimitri is besides her.

That explains why they are this far in.

Claude flies over to the two of them, "Hey there Byleth" Claude calls out and lands besides them " Wanna go for a ride?" he asks.

Byleth frowns at him, "No thanks Claude" she said "I have to admit Wyverns make me a little uneasy" she added.

Claude shrugged then turned to Dimitri, "How about you, wanna join me?" he teased.

Dimitri's face remains expressionless, but he raises Areadbhar at Claude.

Claude watched Byleth shoot Dimitri a glare, and put Areadbhar down immediately, "Sorry" he mumbled.

Claude tilted his head, unsure what he was apologizing for but he brushed it off "Anyways I could use your guys help over there" he said and pointed in the direction that he came from "Nardel and his soldiers are fighting alongside us" he added as forewarning.

Byleth's eyebrows furrowed, "Nardel?" she said "I didn't see him traveling with us" she added.

Claude nodded, "Yeah, he came separately from us" he said. Now wasn't the time to really get into who Nardel is and Claude's relations to him.

Byleth nods, but he knows that she will interrogate him later.

"Who is Nardel?" Dimitri asks.

Claude smiles at him, "Oh, you'll see" he said. "Now come on, I'll lead us to them" Claude added then got back on his Wyvern to lead the way. He takes to the skies once again to get a better view of where Nardel and his troops are. Claude sees him not too far away from where they had entered from, there was an issue though. Nardel had taken up to fighting a Demonic beast.

Dammit, what the hell is he thinking.

Claude grounds briefly, "Hey guys I need to go help Nardel" he said "Just follow down this way and you'll reach us" he adds then goes back up into the air.

It doesn't take very long for Claude to reach Nardel, "Need some help?" he said as he fires arrows at the Demonic beast from a distance.

Nardel doesn't look back, his gaze remains focused on the enemy "Took you long enough" he said "Now go take out that damn mage who keeps healing this beast" he adds sternly.

And Claude is forced to take to the air once again to find the mage, who is hiding behind the Demonic Beast.

Heh, no wonder Nardel couldn't find him.

Claude quickly eliminates the mage and goes back to the area that Nardel was in. By now Byleth and Dimitri had reached them and are aiding in taking down the Demonic Beast, especially since there is no longer someone healing it as they fight.

Once the Demonic Beast receives its death blow they all stand for a moment catching their breaths.

"Heh, I got to admit it was impressive seeing you kids fight this beast" Nardel said "I'm way past my prime to fight like that" he added with a laugh.

Claude rolled his eyes at the allegation, "Yeah sure Nader" he said in a sarcastic tone.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "Nader?" she said in a questioning tone.

And now the truth comes out...

Nader nodded his head, "Heh, I bet you're a bit surprised" he said "But I am Nader the undefeated, general of the Almyran army" he added.

Byleth pressed her lips together for a moment, Claude was mildly worried that she would be upset by the deception. "That does explain a lot" Byleth finally said "Thank you for your assistance Nader" she added with a slight bow.

Nader chuckled, "Always so polite" he said, then turned towards Dimitri "Don't tell me this is the crowned Prince of Faerghus" Nader said in shock.

Claude nodded, "Yup, this is Prince Dimitri" he said.

"Nice to meet you, your Highness" Nader said "I hope Claude hasn't been too much trouble for you, well either of you" he adds.

Dimitri shook his head, "Please call me Dimitri" he said "And no, if anything I'm the one causing them trouble" he added.

"Yesh, Nader" Claude said "Have you no faith in me?" he questioned.

Nader laughed, "Absolutely not" he replied.

"Hey guys" Byleth called out, "I found the Death Knight" she said.

Claude turned in the direction that Byleth was looking, the Death Knight... There he is.

Waiting for them, it looked as if he was staring at them at them, but Claude knew better. The Death Knight was staring at Byleth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 687 56
"We could have been great together, Teach." Even though Byleth had chosen to teach the Black Eagles, the Golden Deer house leader Claude von Riegan w...
5.6K 92 15
Following the supposed death of Sephiroth, former First Class SOLDIER Cloud Strife traveled around Gaia searching for more work as a mercenary. Howev...
21K 553 26
As the new female professor takes the job of tutoring the Blue Lions, everyone was filled with joy. But as months have passed Dimitri starts to feel...
39.7K 1.6K 110
Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her beloved daughter Byleth. In a turn of event...